ADVERTISEMENT

In his own words -- Winston lied

I haven't read every post on this thread. So if this has been answered already sorry. So if his "real story" is that it was a hook-up did he commit perjury, obstruct justice, or falsify an official police report with his lie ??? Just curious.

I haven't read every post on this thread. So if this has been answered already sorry. So if his "real story" is that it was a hook-up did he commit perjury, obstruct justice, or falsify an official police report with his lie ??? Just curious.

Well, based on TPD's typical schedule of investigations, they have yet to talk to him. So he hasn't had an opportunity do do any of them....yet.

After consulting with Publix managers, deputies issued Winston a civil citation that will require him to complete at least 20 hours of community service. If he does that, no criminal charges will be filed. He will also likely have to pay restitution.

"The facts are not in dispute," Wood said.
"He left without paying."

Wood said Winston was cooperative.

"He indicated to the deputies he had forgotten and when he got home he realized that he had not paid, but in fact he had made no effort to contact Publix or return to pay prior to the deputies' arrival" three hours after Winston left the store, Wood said.

-----------

He wasn't under oath, so no perjury. He didn't obstruct anything either. The "reason" he left without paying doesn't change the fact he stole. Kinda like getting pulled over for speeding and telling the officer you didn't see the sign when the truth was your lady had her hand on your twig and giggle berries and you got a little heavy footed...you were still speeding...doesn't matter why.

Winston was covering for a perceived hook-up...truth was/is, he and the Publix employee are both guilty of petty theft and I'd venture to say the employee is likely no longer an employee. Publix official statement that there is no "hook-ups" in their store is accurate. They had an incident of theft and they handled it internally.

side note: I wonder how many free meals, free taxi rides, free

There are only two possibilities here:

1. Winston knew he was receiving an illegal benefit

2. Winston knew he was stealing food

I would prefer we go with #1.

While I know Jameis is the only collegiate athlete to ever get free food (illegal benefit), a sad fact of college sports, a shop-lifting (stealing food) charge gets you bad publicity and perhaps a few games suspension. Free food hook-ups can lead to loss of your NCAA scholarship.

Right or wrong, the bigger NCAA penalty is on the gift.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT