ADVERTISEMENT

How does Gus Bradley keep his job?

Countygator

Rowdy Reptile
Nov 29, 2015
He's now a cool 12-39. Looks like he just surpassed David Shula has having the worst record for any coach with 50+ games as head coach.

It's all by design. The goal of both nfl and organization is lose fan support so that team will have excuse to move team to England. I believe the nfl realized they made mistake by starting franchise I jax

He's now a cool 12-39. Looks like he just surpassed David Shula has having the worst record for any coach with 50+ games as head coach.

Half the teams lose every week. If you want to keep losing, keep starting over every 3 years.

It's all by design. The goal of both nfl and organization is lose fan support so that team will have excuse to move team to England. I believe the nfl realized they made mistake by starting franchise I jax

Very misinformed.

Gus is a nice guy.....young.....pleasant looking....looks like you want a coach to look. He would be a wonderful HC if he were better at the actual coaching part.

Reactions: goldmom

I was guaranteed by the messageboard football experts that they were moving to LA. Not sure what happened.

Can someone explain why Jax is a bad place for a franchise? It's bigger than Nashville, New Orleans and maybe Charlotte. Is it because there's too many other things to do?

Reactions: goldmom
It's a bad location.

Florida already has two NFL franchises. Not to mention that the south has always paid more attention to college ball as opposed to the NFL. So there's not a lot of sure fan base to pull from.

The population there has never been a reliable fan base for the team, even in some of its better years.

And the argument could be made that it's kind of lame town. Charlotte is too, but they've put out a pretty good product throughout most of their history.

It's a bad location.

Florida already has two NFL franchises. Not to mention that the south has always paid more attention to college ball as opposed to the NFL. So there's not a lot of sure fan base to pull from.

The population there has never been a reliable fan base for the team, even in some of its better years.

And the argument could be made that it's kind of lame town. Charlotte is too, but they've put out a pretty good product throughout most of their history.

This is a GREAT area for the NFL. In some cities the stadium would be a ghost town with this much concentrated suckage. But the Bucs and Jags still pull a lot of fans.

This is a GREAT area for the NFL. In some cities the stadium would be a ghost town with this much concentrated suckage. But the Bucs and Jags still pull a lot of fans.

Before they changed the rule, weren't almost all of your home games getting blacked out due to lack of attendance?

I lived 20 miles south of Jacksonville when the NFL decided to put a team there. The entire NE FL/SE GA area was over the top excited and it continues to be an area with great sports fans. But the ownership and management, which started out so great under the ownership of Wayne Weaver and the coaching and management leadership of Tom Coughlin, has let the fans down big time the last 8 years. They built a quality franchise early with great players and Tom Coughlin as their coach and in 1999 went 14-2 and made it to the AFC Championship game, losing a heartbreaker. They made the playoffs 6 times between 1996 & 2007. But the decline started when they fired Coughlin. New upper management has come in, with several changes over the years, that have led to poor draft choices, bad free agent signings and bad trades. The last 8 years have been horrible, with their best record during that time being 8-8 in 2010. Jacksonville deserves better that what the ownership, management, coaches and players are giving them.

Yes.

Just a stickler for people arguing with facts, not BS. I am not sure where you get your information, but most of what you have posted in this thread is not based in fact.

Interesting because I remember several Jags fans here several years ago complaining about it.

So I was incorrect about the blackouts?

I couldn't care less if Jacksonville has a team or not, but you're obviously rather defensive about it.
Actually Jax sold out several games in a row during the first 8 years or so. It wasn't until the team started losing, and losing big, that attendance dropped off, but surprisingly still was better than about half the league despite being the 2nd smallest TV market. Jax is a great town. Every time I go back I am amazed at how much it continues to grow. Two years ago we spent some time out at the beach and had a blast,,,,it was free of yankee snowbirds and has some nice local restaurants.

It's a bad location.

Not sure about lame, I live in DC now and would go back to Jax in a second. I've been fortunate enough, or unfortunate enough, to live in Jax, Orlando, Miami, Tampa, ATL, Nashville, briefly in Charlotte, briefly in Bham, and now DC for the past 9 years....I would happily take Jax over any of the others, but each to his own...

Not sure about lame, I live in DC now and would go back to Jax in a second. I've been fortunate enough, or unfortunate enough, to live in Jax, Orlando, Miami, Tampa, ATL, Nashville, briefly in Charlotte, briefly in Bham, and now DC for the past 9 years....I would happily take Jax over any of the others, but each to his own...

I don't dislike Jacksonville. For an East Coast city it's not awful.

But I don't know if I were a millionare athlete if that's a destination place for me.

If that's where you're drafted and where a paycheck gets signed that's a destination.

Can someone explain why Jax is a bad place for a franchise? It's bigger than Nashville, New Orleans and maybe Charlotte. Is it because there's too many other things to do?

The Titans, Saints, and Panthers are state teams. Plus region. Most of the entire state (and bordering state's support those franchise's) while Jax has two other teams in the state plus the Falcons on the bordering state.

I'm not agreeing that Jax is a bad city for the franchise...but saying the other areas you mentioned draw the entire state (plus border states) for the support and fanbase.

If that's where you're drafted and where a paycheck gets signed that's a destination.

Yes...and after your rookie contract is up, you can leave if you're any good...and when do free agents (decent ones) join in for the Jags?

I'm surprised at the vitriol.

Yes...and after your rookie contract is up, you can leave if you're any good...and when do free agents (decent ones) join in for the Jags?

There are plenty of teams in cities where NFL players don't want to hang out. Unless you think players are lining up to live in Buffalo, Nashville, Kansas City, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Minneapolis.

as far as the blackouts, they were a problem one year, but that was primarily because the stadium was at 85,000 seats, which put it in the top 5 largest in the league and too big for a city Jacksonville's size. Really it's impressive that the fans kept it filled for as long as they did. They covered seats to bring it down to about 65,000, which is about NFL average, and fixed the blackouts.

I just heard that of 170 NFL coaches who have coached 50 games, Bradley ranks 169th in win percentage. Clock is definitely ticking.

Last edited:
There are plenty of teams in cities where NFL players don't want to hang out. Unless you think players are lining up to live in Buffalo, Nashville, Kansas City, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Minneapolis.

as far as the blackouts, they were a problem one year, but that was primarily because the stadium was at 85,000 seats, which put it in the top 5 largest in the league and too big for a city Jacksonville's size. Really it's impressive that the fans kept it filled for as long as they did. They covered seats to bring it down to about 65,000, which is about NFL average, and fixed the blackouts.

I just heard that of 170 NFL coaches who have coached 50 games, Bradley ranks 169th in win percentage. Clock is definitely ticking.
Detroit's nice.....seriously, with all the things mentioned above, size of the market, competing teams near by, it is impressive the Jags average about 92% capacity, around 63k fans. Bradley is in year 4, the roster has been upgraded, and yet nothing to show.

I wouldn't call it vitriol - but I'm interested in learning why anyone would want to leave any city in Florida (okay, Mayo or Cross City) for a place like Buffalo or Indianapolis.

I wouldn't call it vitriol - but I'm interested in learning why anyone would want to leave any city in Florida (okay, Mayo or Cross City) for a place like Buffalo or Indianapolis.

Maybe not the best exams since the Bill's have been to the playoffs once since 2004 and there's been talk off and on about moving to Toronto.

Indy has a dome and a front office that has more or less sustained a high quality organization for the better part of 20 years. If you want to win, you've got to think you'd have w better chance there than in Jacksonville.

Again, my main point is that there's several factors that go into Jacksonville's football problems.

One of them, frankly, (at the lower end of things) is their hideous uniform colors and designs.

Maybe not the best exams since the Bill's have been to the playoffs once since 2004 and there's been talk off and on about moving to Toronto.

Indy has a dome and a front office that has more or less sustained a high quality organization for the better part of 20 years. If you want to win, you've got to think you'd have w better chance there than in Jacksonville.

Again, my main point is that there's several factors that go into Jacksonville's football problems.

One of them, frankly, (at the lower end of things) is their hideous uniform colors and designs.

Indy lucked into drafting franchise quarterbacks, back to back. They barely got Manning one Super Bowl and they're on their way to driving Luck into early retirement. Their owner is an acknowledged pill head. And anyone who would rather watch a game inside in Indianapolis, rather than outdoors, riverside, in Florida, should reevaluate their life direction.

I think Jax has some players (except for TJ Yeldon) and could be pretty good with the right hbc.

Indy lucked into drafting franchise quarterbacks, back to back. They barely got Manning one Super Bowl and they're on their way to driving Luck into early retirement. Their owner is an acknowledged pill head. And anyone who would rather watch a game inside in Indianapolis, rather than outdoors, riverside, in Florida, should reevaluate their life direction.

I think Jax has some players (except for TJ Yeldon) and could be pretty good with the right hbc.

I don't didagree with any of that.

Luck got hit more than any QB last year when he got hurt by miles in the numbers... He's gonna die

Players will go to any city if the money's right and if the team is a winner. Jax has brought in plenty of high priced free agents over the years. But most of them have not panned out. And their drafts have been terrible for the most part the last 10 years. Green Bay is not exactly a hot spot of night life with lots of things to do and they're doing fine. It's not about the location, it's about the management of the team. For a big city, Jax is a pretty good one. They just need to get people in the organization who know how to produce a winner and once Tom Coughlin left, they've gone steadily downhill because of management, not the location.

Reactions: Countygator
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT