ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question:

You really don't understand football at all.

They may have PT, but not PT TOGETHER. An effective Oline not only has players that know their jobs, but players that also know everybody else's jobs. Otherwise, you get two guys who block in the same direction and the blitzing LB comes free. Or they block their guy in front of the RB so the LB he has assigned to him comes in another hole and he looks out of position. Your Oline is taking a step back, you need to deal with the reality, and for God's sake stop talking about recruiting stars! They don't mean squat!
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...QzI121HK96UdjrWeTtPPP8tVIVew-rkmtMmJlotUf9FjA

Very interesting. The only OL Florida loss was Nick Buchanan, but this guy only lists us as returning 3 starters. But Jawja gets Ben Cleveland included, who was a part-time starter at best.

So I'm going to call this list a big pile of BS.
Of course you are. Because he knows nothing about football

Awesome. By the way, what’s your real name on CBS or ESPN? Want to make sure I tell everyone I know that guy.

If you think you have to be a studio wonk to know a sport, you are an even bigger idiot than I thought, and I already believe you are unable to chew your own food.

If you think you have to be a studio wonk to know a sport, you are an even bigger idiot than I thought, and I already believe you are unable to chew your own food.
A bigger idiot than a guy that thinks he knows more than people that actually played the sport at a high level and get paid to analyze and report on it?

I don't mean this in any confronting way, so let's discuss. I've been seeing a lot of prognosticators pick Florida to win the East this upcoming season. The last 4 years, your recruiting classes have been #s 9, 17, 8 and 8. I know that you had a good OL and a good RB transfer in and the talking heads think Kyle Trask is going to be good but it seems like, the way UGA has recruited, they should have better talent. What am I missing?

UGA will have more talent on paper but UFs coaching staff is much better.

Georgia expects to have the best defense in the SEC and hopes that that will carry them until the new Offensive Coordinator, Quarterback and several new offensive linemen gel. Alabama is the pre-season favorite for our game in Tuscaloosa. That will be the third game so the offense has a little time to grow up. QB Jamie Neuman is forecast to be in the top 5 Heisman candidates. (How the heck they know that based on a year at Wake Forest, I don't know.) Georgia has a lot of elite talent but they just need time to get in sync. October 31 in Jacksonville will be a huge game. Not going to lose to Auburn.

We suck and Neuman was worse at Wake...

It's not only the Gator Homers that think this way... o_O

Athlon Sports rates Mullen as 2nd best coach in the SEC

Mullen took over a Florida team that was 4-7 the year before he arrived.
“Mullen is one of the best coaches in the nation at maximizing his roster,” read the capsule for Mullen in their Ranking the SEC’s Coaches column. “Mississippi State – one of the toughest jobs in the SEC – went 69-46 with eight bowl trips from 2009-17 under Mullen. And in just two years at Florida, Mullen has returned the program to national prominence. The Gators won 10 games in Mullen’s debut in 2018 and upped that mark with an 11-2 mark last season. Under Mullen, Florida is 21-5 overall, has finished in the Top 10 in back-to-back years and has two New Year’s Six Bowl victories.”

The 2020 version of Street & Smith’s -- has the Gators winning the SEC-E for the first time since 2016 and overtaking the Georgia Bulldogs in the process. They led off their Florida preview justifying the pick because of the guy that is in charge of the program.
https://247sports.com/college/flori...ne-has-Gators-winning-the-SEC-East-147909350/

SEC Network's Analyst Cole Cubelic, has ranked Florida's offensive line among the Top 5 units in the SEC going into the 2020 college football season.
https://247sports.com/college/flori...ineman-enters-NCAA-transfer-portal-147895781/

Though the Gators do lose RB Lamical Perine and 4 senior WR's, there's still plenty of talent back at the skill positions to help QB Kyle Trask, who returns as a 5th-year Sr. Jr RB Dameon Pierce is back, lightning quick Miami transfer RB Lorenzo Lingard is now eligible and Jr TE/WR Kyle Pitts, Sr WR Trevon Grimes, rsSo WR Jacob Copeland and Sr WR/RB Kadarius Toney form an eclectic and electric group at receiver.
==========

Now, all of that sounds a lot like what the ole iG has been posting here for the last few months already, so maybe they're the one's that should be accused of 'cut & pasting' my stuff.... ;) - :D

Everyone on that list has at least 4 returning starters but UGA. How did they even get on that list with 2????

Recruiting stars... :rolleyes:

=====

Which Fr has a shot at giving E.White a run for his money at LG?
Joshua Braun played both tackle and guard spots, left and right, during his high school career, and carries a huge, ready-to-play frame of 6-6, 356 lbs. :eek:

At his size, Braun played competitive doubles tennis in high school, and similar movement skills could be seen in his pulling blocks and when moving to the second level. Despite some experienced talent being added via the transfer portal, Braun still stands a shot at gettin at least some early playing time.
https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-five-freshmen-impact-2020

I think that we take that game this year, we'll see how it goes.

Depends on how good their QB is. If he is avg or below u guys win easy. If he is really good it will be a dog fight... Not gunna lie, im looking forward to this one

A bigger idiot than a guy that thinks he knows more than people that actually played the sport at a high level and get paid to analyze and report on it?

Well evidently I can count returning starters better than him. Hard to take anybody seriously with that level of incompetence right out of the gate.

Everyone on that list has at least 4 returning starters but UGA. How did they even get on that list with 2????
Is it automatic that having returning starters makes you better? If they sucked kast year you might now want to bet on them being much better as a unit. And if the transfer you git was so great why did he feel the need to transfer? Same shit this board applies to Newman.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Is it automatic that having returning starters makes you better? If they sucked kast year you might now want to bet on them being much better as a unit. And if the transfer you git was so great why did he feel the need to transfer? Same shit this board applies to Newman.

You're as dumb-ass as the one writing the article it seems to me.

Mullen and Hevesy originally recruited Reese to MsSt.
Reese started at RT his 1st 2 years, then moved due to team needs to RG.
He's now a Grad-xfer that wants to play for those that originally recruited him.
MsSt-D ain't no ACC WF-O, and he can plug in at RG or RT and play immediately.

New LT that played and started at LG last year.
Old LT moving to RT.
LG/OT moves to OC to replace only departing Sr OL.
RG likely Reese.
RT previous LT.
2 rsSR's, 1 Sr's, 1 rsSo, 1 So, some were starters, all with a start and lots of rotation play.
All but 4th year starter Reese have already played together.
And being able to move them around helps to maximize their positional abilities.

They didn't suck last year, they just didn't run block well enough, which is being fixed with the new lineup of positions. They pass blocked well enough that 2 star backup Trask had better passing numbers in 10 starts, than Fromm had in 14 starts. o_O

The only thing that sucks around here is the nuttlickin' fleas... :rolleyes:

Another flea with no idea how football works.

The offensive line is a UNIT. The more cohesive they are, the better they will be. Which means practicing together and playing games as a unit. We had all of last year for 4 of them, it shouldn't be too hard to get one new guy blended in. You have 1 returning starter. Ok, 1 1/2 if we count Cleveland who started about half a season. That means a lot of guys who have to learn to work together, which is tough enough without losing 6 months of offseason.

This is also the unit where stars matter the least. The stars for linemen are based on potential, but that is a very hit and miss affair because the potential is in trying to estimate how much additional growth is ahead of them, how well they will add muscle in the weight program, etc. So all the crowing about stars means squat. We need to see on field performance. For the line, the proof is in the pudding.

You have the Newman argument exactly wrong. Nobody said he transferred because he sucks. Here are the things that have been said:

1. He played poorly against the quality competition he faced in the ACC. Which wasn't much.
2. The SEC is a major step up in competition, where he only faced one really outstanding defense in the ACC, he will face several in the SEC.
3. He has to learn a brand new offense without Spring ball.
4. He is behind a brand new Oline that has to learn to work together and also has to learn a new offense. When both the QB and Oline are new, it's a problem.
5. He has had no opportunity to work with the receivers to get the timing down.

As for the MSU transfer, I would venture to guess he transferred for the same reason Newman did. Both are grad transfers and are moving to higher profile teams in their last year, certainly to get more attention from NFL scouts. The one difference is Reese transferred to UF because he has experience in the Mullen system AND his brother is on the squad, whereas Newman chose Georgia for no known reason. One theory is that some Georgia boosters got panicky when Fromm left and gave him a nice cash payout to sign. Knowing how you all do business, I deem it likely.

Oh, and the Newman thing is beyond ridiculous. He is coming into an offense he didn't get to learn in spring practice, that none of his teammates know either, because it's new, and, he's had no time so far to throw to his receivers. Did you know that QB's spend the offseason throwing to their WR's to get the timing down? He hasn't been able to do that.

Also, you STILL have a brand new Offensive line that needs to work together to gel, and haven't been able to.

So how exactly is Newman going to be this "great" player, when he's going to be out there with no clue what's going on, and running for his life?

Here's a guarantee for you: If Newman is a preseason Heisman contender, he will be an in-season bust.

Good gravy, you talk like Georgia is bound for the playoffs. You are MILES away from that. You need to worry about beating Virginia. Lose that game, and 7-5 becomes a real possibility. Take your head out of the recruiting magazines and look at the real world. You guys are going to struggle this year.
The Newman stuff is just strange. I get that he’s not chopped liver but he’s also not froom. We give froom a lot of crap here but he was a very good qb in that offense. I’m not saying Newman should be laughed off but this pre season heisman stuff is ridiculous. Even if he were to come in and be lights out and win the heisman it would be a huge surprise. If they lose to Virginia though things could get bad. Virginia lost a lot and the talent disparity should be enough. No way in hell they beat bama, and I don’t get the cockiness around auburn. They bring a lot back and were pretty tough last year.

I actually spit my Diet Coke out when I read that. Unable to chew your own food is the new standard for insulting the stupid!

The Newman stuff is just strange. I get that he’s not chopped liver but he’s also not froom. We give froom a lot of crap here but he was a very good qb in that offense. I’m not saying Newman should be laughed off but this pre season heisman stuff is ridiculous. Even if he were to come in and be lights out and win the heisman it would be a huge surprise. If they lose to Virginia though things could get bad. Virginia lost a lot and the talent disparity should be enough. No way in hell they beat bama, and I don’t get the cockiness around auburn. They bring a lot back and were pretty tough last year.

When I look at the Georgia/Virginia game, both teams lost QB's and a bunch of talent. Virginia brought more back, and has the continuity of a returning coordinator so the guys stepping up are familiar with the system, but Georgia's defense is a lot better than Virginia's, to the point that it won't matter. I see a Virginia team that will be strangled on offense by the Georgia D, and a Georgia offense that will be very uncomfortable and afraid of turnovers and giving up a short field, so will play very conservatively. Look for a lot of punts. Georgia has more depth, so I expect them to wear UVa down in the 4th and put the game away, but I can see UVa winning the game, I think it will take +2 in turnovers to do it, and they will have to find the end zone at least once. A UGa win I see being oh, 24-10, with 10 points coming in the last 10 minutes of the game, a UVa win would have to be around 13-10. I don't see them scoring much more than that.

Sam Pittman and colleagues have recruited at a very high level during recent years.(you know that) Georgia rotates linemen in frequently to keep the line fresh. Thus those elite players that didn't start, STILL got lots of playing time. They aren't exactly inexperienced rookies. Take a look at UGA's projected two deep. You'll see highly recruited, experienced linemen across the board. Right tackle is the least experienced with a RFr starting.

I don't mean this in any confronting way, so let's discuss. I've been seeing a lot of prognosticators pick Florida to win the East this upcoming season. The last 4 years, your recruiting classes have been #s 9, 17, 8 and 8. I know that you had a good OL and a good RB transfer in and the talking heads think Kyle Trask is going to be good but it seems like, the way UGA has recruited, they should have better talent. What am I missing?
It's simple. UGLY doesn't develop or use it's talent. Georgia takes 5* players and turns them into 6th and 7th round NFL picks. Florida develops it's players and is putting 3* players into the first round of the draft. With the talent that 4th and dumb recruited at Georgia so far, he should have had TWICE as many players in this last NFL draft than he did.

As for why is Florida the favorite for the east this year? Returning QB, best WR group in the East for 2020 and our OL can't possibly be as bad as 2019 which wasn't too bad short of a crap running game. (It can only improve but still got us 11 wins in 2019) Throw in the fact that Dan Mullen has proven each year here at Florida that NOBODY gets the best of the transfer portal like he does, and Florida will be just fine on talent.

Looking at Georgia and why they aren't the favorite in 2020? The dawgs quite simply are replacing EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON OFFENSE this year. Throw in the fact that you don't know who your QB is and your QB hasn't even taken 1 snap yet with the team, whoever it'll end up being and we're only 90 days out from college football season. Recruiting and talent aside, if none of these players have ever stepped on a collegiate football field, do you really think they will make oddsmakers and media people take them as a risk?

Sorry but eventually Kirby's message of team of destiny or whatever crap he's selling/gifting to these recruits is going to come to an end. He always screws it up. He's shown that he's reached his zenith as a coach and that no matter how many 5 and 6 * players he stocks, he will not develop them and still screw it up and lose to a team like South Carolina each year. It's kept Dawg fans happy enough to this point, as long as he recruits like a mad man and can beat Florida each year, that's enough for the dawgs. But once the last buttsniffer who was actually alive the last time Georgia won a national championship dies from old age, will recruiting national championship rings and the Jax Tshirts still keep that fanbase content as they watch better teams (not necessarily more talented) win titles they will never see?

Once again, Dan Mullen put as many players into the NFL draft here in his time at Florida as Kirby has at Georgia, and with essentially half the talent if you consider what he inherited from Ol' Yellateeth. The recruits are going to start doing the numbers and realize that nothing Kirby promises them can make up for the fact that an NFL future awaits them at Florida, not Georgia.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Sam Pittman and colleagues have recruited at a very high level during recent years.(you know that) Georgia rotates linemen in frequently to keep the line fresh. Thus those elite players that didn't start, STILL got lots of playing time. They aren't exactly inexperienced rookies. Take a look at UGA's projected two deep. You'll see highly recruited, experienced linemen across the board. Right tackle is the least experienced with a RFr starting.

Who haven't worked together as a unit. Proof will be in the pudding.

So you are saying guys that have rotated in and out of the regular line are going to somehow work together as a unit even though they never started together and haven't had the advantage of spring practice?

The recruits are going to start doing the numbers and realize that nothing Kirby promises them can make up for the fact that an NFL future awaits them at Florida, not Georgia.

The issue is actually with the numbers. Georgia gives recruits 10,000 to 50,000 reasons (or more?) to choose their school. As long as that situation continues, they will get elite talent.

There should be a statistical review of top tier players and their parents' level of economic distress and the school they choose. If the parents are struggling to make ends meet, a 50K payment that pays off the mortgage (or buys a house) would be a Godsend. So when UGa comes along and offers a fat stack of cash, of course the kid signs with them. But the kid who comes from a family that doesn't really need the money, they will be more willing to look at what's best for them long-term rather than the up front payment. I'll bet a review of the Georgia elite players would show a very high correlation with parental economic distress. This is why I'm looking forward to players being allowed to make money while in school. That will put UF on equal footing and we will simply blow past the rest of the SEC. I don't know what teams like Georgia and Bama will do. They will lose their minds when they can't buy titles any more. Oh, wait, that's just Bama. Georgia can't even manage to buy titles.

So you are saying guys that have rotated in and out of the regular line are going to somehow work together as a unit even though they never started together and haven't had the advantage of spring practice?

They just don't get how much work is put in during the offseason and how unlucky they are to have lost most of it this year, when they needed it so badly. They are so far behind the 8 ball, and the fact they can't see it is just ridiculous.

And to be quite honest, until we beat em, we don't have much room to talk, but facts are facts. Georgia is not a pathway to a pro career for these players. There are others schools that help players work on what they need to better and the results over time show that. At the end of the day if you don't make it to the pros, do you want a degree from georgia which pretty much qualifies you to fry chicken at KFC or do you want a degree from one of the top 10, soon to be top 5 universities in the country?

This whole premise is all based on the preseason expectations for 2020 and logically, if you are replacing your entire offense and none of those kids will play together or practice as a team for the first time until 30 days away from that first game, why would you be hopeful for that? I take that back, you can be hopeful as all heck, but why would you think a team in that situation would be preseason tops in it's division? Right now I think Michigan has every bit as good a chance of getting to a national title game as Georgia does. Both have the same problem. Great recruiting, bigtime fanbase, MASSIVE funding behind the program, but mediocre coaching staffs. Look at how much Tennessee has sucked for well quite frankly most of my entire lifetime. They have the money, the billionaire that owns Pilot truck stops shovels so much cash at their sports program its sickening. They have the fans. Sure they are all related and share the same 3 last names, but in hillbilly country, numbers count more than teeth do. They have everything but a head coach and for something like 20 years now, they are the laughingstock of The SEC and there is no end in sight to that because they can't/won't get a competent head coach. Kang is knocking it out of the park with recruiting at Georgia. But a lot of that has to do with the 244 million $ recruiting initiative that that school instituted in 2015 or 16, I forget when. That covered facilities, staffing, and pretty much everything else. Georgia has tons of staff who you'll never hear about who just do research and go to high schools and so on for all of their sports. It certainly has paid dividends as their recruiting has skyrocketed in that time frame. Don't be deceived into thinking that Kang is the reason though. He's not some monkey whisperer like Bobby Bowden used to be with his in home visits the day before NSD to seal the deal and steal the best players. Mr. Potatohead at Tennessee can't even spell his own damn name he's that stupid but look how well their money has done for recruiting this offseason. That all goes back to their facilities and the staffing.

With Florida finishing up the new baseball stadium and then it's new football facility to start construction this year where the old stadium was, UF will be at the top of the heap as far as facilities in the East again. Watch what kind of recruits 3* Dan gets then, or whoever the coach is here at that time. Flash that $$$ and they will come.

Street & Smith’s Magazine. The publication that has been produced for decades came out with their annual football magazine last week and in the SEC and ACC version of the magazine they list the First Team All-SEC and the first name mentioned on the list, right behind the letters QB is the name Kyle Trask.

The Gators went 11-2 last season and Trask was a huge part of it. While Joe Burrow had one of those out of his mind experiences as the quarterback at LSU last year, Trask finished second to Burrow in completion percentage (66.9%), passing yards (2,941), quarterback rating (156.09), and yards per game (245.1).

TE Kyle Pitts is getting plenty of recognition. He will get more first-team recognition than not and will be the most decorated in the preseason among Gator players. In preseason NFL Draft mocks Pitts is garnering first-round labels. He’s that kind of a talent as a pass catcher and he’s very young.

If all schools are able to pay players that only makes things legal on paper. The schools will still pay under the table to get recruits. Allowing a player to be paid by an institution appeases the IRS and makes for good headlines. The cars and bags of cash will continue. That money isn’t coming from the university anyways.

~~ Rating the SEC / ACC coaches, 1 > 28:

Florida Gators head coach keeps getting recognition from places you may not expect it. The Post and Courier out of South Carolina says that Dan Mullen Is the 3rd best coach out of all 28 coaches in the ACC and the SEC. Based in Charleston, the Post and Courier is the largest newspaper in the state of South Carolina. Mullen comes in 3rd and only behind 2 guys that have won the National Championship in 4 of the last 5 seasons. Saban & Swinney. o_O

This fits in smoothly with Athlon Sports rating Mullen as the 2nd best head coach in the SEC behind Saban last week.

Since becoming a HC at MsSt, Dan has gone to 10 bowl games in his 11 season, missing out only in his 1st season at MsSt, and he's gone 8-2 in those 10 bowl games. So far he's batting .909 on getting to a bowl\, and he's batting .800 at winning them when he does. --- 3-Star Dan, huh.... :rolleyes:

And Gator QB Kyle Trask will enter the season as the SEC’s highest rated returning QB. Again, that is something that hasn’t been done in more than a decade in Gainesville. ;)

https://247sports.com/college/flori...f-28-in-ACC-and-SEC-Florida-Gators-148029391/

~~ Rating the SEC / ACC coaches, 1 > 28:

Florida Gators head coach keeps getting recognition from places you may not expect it. The Post and Courier out of South Carolina says that Dan Mullen Is the 3rd best coach out of all 28 coaches in the ACC and the SEC. Based in Charleston, the Post and Courier is the largest newspaper in the state of South Carolina. Mullen comes in 3rd and only behind 2 guys that have won the National Championship in 4 of the last 5 seasons. Saban & Swinney. o_O

This fits in smoothly with Athlon Sports rating Mullen as the 2nd best head coach in the SEC behind Saban last week.

Since becoming a HC at MsSt, Dan has gone to 10 bowl games in his 11 season, missing out only in his 1st season at MsSt, and he's gone 8-2 in those 10 bowl games. So far he's batting .909 on getting to a bowl\, and he's batting .800 at winning them when he does. --- 3-Star Dan, huh.... :rolleyes:

And Gator QB Kyle Trask will enter the season as the SEC’s highest rated returning QB. Again, that is something that hasn’t been done in more than a decade in Gainesville. ;)

https://247sports.com/college/flori...f-28-in-ACC-and-SEC-Florida-Gators-148029391/
InstaGATOR - what do you think about Paul Finebaum's prediction about the SECE? Now, granted, he's just another TV/Radio sports personality but he's picking UGA over UF.

InstaGATOR - what do you think about Paul Finebaum's prediction about the SECE? Now, granted, he's just another TV/Radio sports personality but he's picking UGA over UF.

Sorry, I don't watch or listen to the ole fire-bomb except maybe when he's doing SEC games on a Saturday, so I have no idea what he might have said about the coming WLOCP. He's a Bama / Tennis-sea guy that's welcome to his own opinions.

2017 4-7 McLame/UF 7 - 42 (+35)

2018 10-3 Mullen/UF 17 - 36 UGly (+19)

2019 11-2 Mullen/UF 17 - 24 UGly (+7)

2020 I'm seeing a rather obvious trend in where this game is going.

BTW, did ole fire-bomb explain how that legghumper OL never got called for even a single hold on a passing play in the entire game, while going against the #1 sack team in the SEC. :rolleyes: (seems to me that not just the recruits are getting $$ bags) :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT