ADVERTISEMENT

Franks v. Trask v. Jones in 2020?

gatorshime

Gator Great
Jan 30, 2002
So, if they all come back what does Coach do? I’m sure most of you are like me and would go with Kyle Trask and here is why ranking the best as a 1:

Player. Trask. Franks. Jones

Arm Strgth 2. 1. 3
Running. 3. 2. 1
Decisions. 1. 3. 2
Experience. 2. 1. 3
Results. 1. 1. 2
Attitude. 1. 3. 2

It looks like Franks has better results but, in my book the most important things for a QB besides the obvious results, is the decision making ( good and avoiding the bad ) and in that category Trask is far and away a better Q.B. than Franks and Jones hasn’t had enough P.T. I just hope he doesn’t go into the transfer portal as the job is his in 2021.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
Actually Jones has a stronger arm than Trask. Franks is most likely done. But I think it's pretty clear that Trask should be the starter next year.

Tell me what the offensive line and receiver situation look like then I’ll let you know.

This is the correct answer.

Can we run the ball in a traditional manner? What does the offensive line look like? Run blocking? Pass blocking? Depth? Can we pull and reach blocks on the edge and at the second level? How much production are we losing at WR? Will the guys coming back be as good as this year? Will the young RBs be able to handle the whole offense?

Maybe even more importantly, what kind of defense will we have? Can we be a quick strike offense and still stand up on defense? Do we need to shorten games and work the clock? What’s our kicking game look like?

Not trying to be “that guy” but, I’ve coached some football. Been lucky enough to be a part of some championship winning teams, there’s a ton that goes into making a good decision that isn’t really ever considered by the media or message board fans.

I guess my point is that we are lucky enough to have three proven players at QB. All with different skill sets. It’s a luxury but it also makes for a tough decision. Mullen did a masterful job of changing the offense to suit Trask, and the defense played pretty well, until we met teams that we couldn’t bully.....

Reactions: oozie7

Can we run the ball in a traditional manner? What does the offensive line look like? Run blocking? Pass blocking? Depth? Can we pull and reach blocks on the edge and at the second level? How much production are we losing at WR? Will the guys coming back be as good as this year? Will the young RBs be able to handle the whole offense?

Maybe even more importantly, what kind of defense will we have? Can we be a quick strike offense and still stand up on defense? Do we need to shorten games and work the clock? What’s our kicking game look like?

Not trying to be “that guy” but, I’ve coached some football. Been lucky enough to be a part of some championship winning teams, there’s a ton that goes into making a good decision that isn’t really ever considered by the media or message board fans.
Very good post. With that being said I’m leaning to Trask and Jones battling it out. I don’t think Franks will be here next year.

While I don't expect that a true Fr could come in and win the job,,,, I'm still not leaving out the possibility either... o_O

QB-dt Anthony Richardson 6-4 230 4.5/40 with a 70+ yard cannon arm in HS. :eek:

After all, I would have played Trask as a true Fr when he arrived, instead of wasting time with a bunch of retread xfers (Del-Rio, Appleby, Zaire).... :rolleyes:

I don't really care who the starter is,,,,,,, just as long as it's someone named Kyle... :D
(seriously and as always, may the best QB win the job)

For a 2nd 247 opinion, go here...

https://247sports.com/college/flori...ceeded-again-under-pressure-for-UF-138703857/

The Tigers would end up with 4 sacks on the day.
They occurred from snap to sack in 2.5 sec, 2.0 sec, 1.5 sec. 1.5 sec....
So don't bother claiming that Trask holds onto the ball too long.... :cool:
Both 3 sec and 5 sec drops are almost non-existent behind the Gator's current OL. :rolleyes:
Push and/or holes for running rarely exist either.:oops:

JMOHO, but both tackles need to be replaced (or greatly improved) before 2020.
Maybe OG Heggie can play center next year???
I'd about rather see So, rsFr, & Fr playing on the OL in 2020 that what they have now. o_O

Last edited:
Franks should graduate this spring, correct? Yes I know he still has a year of eligibility so skip explaining that to me.

Anyway the guy should honestly play some minor league baseball this summer and weigh his options 1. If he wants to come back to UF in the fall and be part of a good team. 2. Transfer to another lower level team. 3. Position change.

Regardless...he needs to see what he can do in baseball. The money has already been offered.

And another thing, a running dtQB works if used about 6-8 times per game. Not 20x's a game. That's not a running game, it's a wc-QB option game and not Dan's offense.
Jones is never going to produce a 'running game' as the QB, that's the OL & RB's job.

Notice that EJ's runs work 1-2 times, then the D keys on him and he gets NADA.
EJ needs to improve his passing, work on identifying the defense, and going through his progressions in a R-P spread offense. He has and continues to make good progress, but he won't replace Trask as the starter. I'm not sure that he could even pass Franks if Trask wasn't there.... o_O

Good post, but the reality is Franks has played like 4 good games and 13 bad games. He has a ton of talent but he also has a 5 cent head. Not sure why anyone would consider him an option at this point.

Reactions: gatordad3
Franks should graduate this spring, correct? Yes I know he still has a year of eligibility so skip explaining that to me.

Anyway the guy should honestly play some minor league baseball this summer and weigh his options 1. If he wants to come back to UF in the fall and be part of a good team. 2. Transfer to another lower level team. 3. Position change.

Regardless...he needs to see what he can do in baseball. The money has already been offered.

40K per year. Not a large amount. And he better knock the rust off quick, the competition is pretty fierce.

I wonder if Franks asking O'Sul for a shot at pitching wouldn't be a good idea???
That might be a win/win for all concerned, and it leave all options open for Franks.
Good luck to him in whichever option he chooses.

I wonder if Franks asking O'Sul for a shot at pitching wouldn't be a good idea???
That might be a win/win for all concerned, and it leave all options open for Franks.
Good luck to him in whichever option he chooses.
He has already signed for the $ with the Boston Red Sox which makes him ineligible to play college baseball.

40K per year. Not a large amount. And he better knock the rust off quick, the competition is pretty fierce.
Agree but that is a signing bonus. The MiLB salary is around $35/40 K per year. Nothing to make you rich but it gives him a chamce to showcase his skills and get a chance at the big leagues.

You honestly think he is NFL QB material? Honestly I dont know, Jeff Driskel is looking pretty fair slinging the ball around in Detroit.

Agree but that is a signing bonus. The MiLB salary is around $35/40 K per year. Nothing to make you rich but it gives him a chamce to showcase his skills and get a chance at the big leagues.

You honestly think he is NFL QB material? Honestly I dont know, Jeff Driskel is looking pretty fair slinging the ball around in Detroit.

One of the best jobs in professional sports is a middle relief pitcher. Ive seen numerous games where they enter and throw one or two pitches and then are finished for the day. It is as nice as being a NFL punter but better.

He absolutely is NFL material. I think y’all take for granted how bad QB play is around college football much less the NFL. Josh Allen got taken with a first round pick and his junior year he completed 56% of his passes and threw for 1800 yards. Why? Because he was big and fast and had a cannon. The NFL cares about physical talent more than anything and Franks has that in spades. A team would gladly take him in the back half of the draft and stash him away for a few years while they try to develop him.

Reactions: SwampMaster
For goodness sake Driskel has started back to back games for Detroit. And Franks is better than Driskel

And another thing, a running dtQB works if used about 6-8 times per game. Not 20x's a game. That's not a running game, it's a wc-QB option game and not Dan's offense.
Jones is never going to produce a 'running game' as the QB, that's the OL & RB's job.

Notice that EJ's runs work 1-2 times, then the D keys on him and he gets NADA.
EJ needs to improve his passing, work on identifying the defense, and going through his progressions in a R-P spread offense. He has and continues to make good progress, but he won't replace Trask as the starter. I'm not sure that he could even pass Franks if Trask wasn't there.... o_O

jones was our leading rusher and averaged 6.5 yards per carry.

and no one is saying he needs to carey every time but offenses like Mullens are based on the QB as a threat to run. Worked fine with Tebow

Reactions: GatorNation79
Should probably add one more category: Fit to Mullen's preferred system: 3, 2, 1

Franks in 2017 vs Franks in 2018-19.
Now consider this.

Driskel never had Dan/Brian as his QB coaches.
And the Driskel era drop-city WR's didn't have BillyG coaching them.
Driskel at LaTech and in the NFL is another comparison indicator.

As to EJ vs KT.
Trask's running #'s are skewed because of the 1.5 to 2.5 second sacks on passing plays that limited action Jones is not asked to use. o_O
Take out the passing play sacks and what do Trask's rushing numbers look like?
Even with the poor excuse of an OL, with sacks coming in 1.5 to 2.5 seconds and virtually no running game to loosen up the defense..

Trask - 8.5 Gms, 66.8%, 2,293 yds,.
270 yds/gm, 12.5 yds/comp, 21 TD's, 6 Ints

The 270 yds/gm puts him in the Top 20 (19) in FBS.
SEC QB's 1. Burrow, 2. Tau 3. Trask

Lost yards due to sacks kill Trask's YPC numbers. o_O
When he actually runs the ball, he does very well.
Many 1st down runs and 3 rushing TD's, with a long run of 14 yds.
He's no Tebow, but then nobody else is either... :oops:

Give Trask an OL like Tebow had to play behind and watch what happens to his numbers.... :eek:

Tell me what the offensive line and receiver situation look like then I’ll let you know.
I love Trask but Jones is the guy who can open it up. It's been a great job this year but when our 4 seniors WR's leave, who are going to the NFL, we're out of gas in that area. When people talk trash about how Jones mainly runs the ball we have actually been very effective running the ball under him... ans he can throw the ball real good. He's very composed in the pocket and he absolutely opens up the offence that Mullen can run and what's best for the team. That's what I've seen.

jones was our leading rusher and averaged 6.5 yards per carry.

and no one is saying he needs to carey every time but offenses like Mullens are based on the QB as a threat to run. Worked fine with Tebow
Right here...doesnt have to be Trask vs....more like Jones fits the system better IMO

Mullens history shows Jones won't start early next season unless Trask was injured or something like that. Trask has played decent also. We have 2 more losses if Franks was in there probably not having a decent running game.

Mullens history shows Jones won't start early next season unless Trask was injured or something like that. Trask has played decent also. We have 2 more losses if Franks was in there probably not having a decent running game.

I disagree. I don’t see any more losses with Franks. And don’t forget Trask threw the game changing red zone INT against LSU and really could get nothing going against UGa. Maybe Franks wins one of those?

I disagree. I don’t see any more losses with Franks. And don’t forget Trask threw the game changing red zone INT against LSU and really could get nothing going against UGa. Maybe Franks wins one of those?
He might of. Our offense is much different now...against UGA we didn't play a good defensive scheme but couldn't get any heat on the QB and got torn up.

I think I read somewhere the last time we passed the ball this well Rex Grossman was the QB.

I It's been a great job this year but when our 4 seniors WR's leave, who are going to the NFL, we're out of gas in that area. That's what I've seen.

2020 projected receivers: -- Sorry, but the cupboard is not bare... o_O

83. WR Rick Wells 6-0 202 rsJr
4. WR/RB Kadarius Toney 5-11 194 Jr
8. WR Trevon Grimes 6-5 214 Jr *****
84. WR/TE Kyle Pitts 6-6 239 So ****
15. WR/KR Jacob Copeland 6-0 192 rsFr ****

85. WR Trey Thompson 6-1 201 rsSo
-----
WR/Ath Ja'markis Weston 6-3 217 Fr - Clewiston, FL (E-#45 Ath/DE ****)
WR Dionte Marks 6-2 178 Fr - Deland, FL (E-#45 WR ****)
WR/FS Trent Whittenmore 6-3 190 Fr - Gainesville, FL (E-#33 FS ****)

Incoming 2020 WR Recruits:

#24 WR Leonard Manuel 6-4 200 **** 6.0 - Ocala, FL
Offers: UA- and everybody else....
247 - #14 WR ****, 67/100 -- ESPN-300 #10 WR

#46 WR Ja'Quavion Fraziars 6-4 185 **** 5.8- Dunnellon, FL
Offers: Ark-AU-UG-UK-TN---FSU-UL-Mia-Neb-tOSU-PSU-Va
247 #37 WR 210/247 -- ESPN-300 #19 WR

#74 WR/TE Jeremiah Johnson 6-7 215 *** 5.6 - Homerville, GA
Offers: Ark, AU, UK, Miz, SCa, TN -- Cin, GaT, Ind, Neb, Va.
247 #74 WR N-431 -- ESPN-300 #47 WR

TE
7. Lucas Krull 6-6 257 rsJr
88. Kemore Gamble 6-3 241 rsSo
85. Danta Lange 6-5 232 rsFr
9. Keon Zipperer 6-2 232 Fr (#2 HS TE)

2020 #23 TE Jonathan Odom 6-6 250 *** 5.6 - Tampa, FL
Offers: UF - UA-AU-SCa-TN-VU--FSU-Mia-GaT-Io-Mich-Neb-tOSU-PSU
>>> Seems like a lot of top quality offers for just a 3 star...
247 #32 TE N-827 -- ESPN #19 TE-Y

Plus 2-3 pretty good RB receivers coming out of the backfield....

Question - Who is Dan's choice of starting QB right now, Trask, or Jones? :cool:
So what makes you think that will change for 2020? o_O
And don't forget, Franks may come back, and Richardson is coming in...

Not saying that he will, but I see a chance that Jones may follow in Toney's path.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT