ADVERTISEMENT

Florida vs USCe in the Elite Eight

Comments like these, made at the end of an Elite 8 season, reflect a real lack of perspective as far as everyone's respective contributions to UF. I'll take a final 4 and second team all SEC in an elite 8 year over whatever it is you've done for the school.
We are going to miss his defense next year.

Calls go either way. General moaning is usually off.

Specifically, it looks like the refs blew two calls, pretty badly, very late in the game.

The uncalled walk, and the call on Chiozza when he would have had a strip and lay up. Those two mistakes essentially sealed the game...very possible different outcome without them. The pushing and shoving were unfortunate...but part of it.

As many have already said, we didn't (or couldn't) take advantage of the opportunity to get inside calls today. South Carolina could and did.

We knew our inside game was a liability, so it really shouldn't shock anybody or be all that upsetting. If the threes weren't falling, we were gonna lose...and sure enough...

Reactions: bradleygator
Still the better team, just like they were all year. But that means nothing in this sport, ask vandy...

:cool: New blue blood in the house, overall wins 1393....UF 1391. Good game Gators. Many thanks to the refs because we received no bad calls during the game.

Different coaches, different players, same results in the elite 8.

Losing to that shit team is embarrassing, im sorry but losing to them in the SEC to top off all of our epic chokes in the elite 8 is embarrassing...
Shit team eh, funny funny funny.

:cool: New blue blood in the house, overall wins 1393....UF 1391. Good game Gators. Many thanks to the refs because we received no bad calls during the game.

Remember when LSU made the Final Four in 2006? This is basically the same thing.

Calls go either way. General moaning is usually off.

Specifically, it looks like the refs blew two calls, pretty badly, very late in the game.

The uncalled walk, and the call on Chiozza when he would have had a strip and lay up. Those two mistakes essentially sealed the game...very possible different outcome without them. The pushing and shoving were unfortunate...but part of it.
Those were the two that were the most egregious. Plus the foul on Leon driving to the basket late in the game.

Carolina deserves credit, Florida's offense in the second half was terrible - it was just dribble around the perimeter and jack dumb threes at the end of the shot clock. Inexplicably bad and White made no adjustments which was disappointing.

That said, the refs did us no favors. I don't think I've ever seen a team in the bonus 5 minutes into a half, nor have I ever seen 5 fouls called on one possession, mostly ticky tack, and nowhere near as bad as what they let both teams get away with most of the game, and don't even get me started on the non-travel call that was clear as day. Refs didn't lose us the game, but they sure didn't help.

Enjoy it, Carolina, but you still have 4 more Final Fours, 8 more Elite 8s, and two National Titles before you're where Florida is at ;-) Who knows, though, every program starts somewhere.

Some observations from Brockway following Florida’s 77-70 loss to South Carolina at Madison Square Garden in the Elite Eight

— Senior point guard Kasey Hill’s final game in a Gator uniform encapsulated his UF career, some spectacular plays, followed by momentum-crushing mistakes. The errant pass to nowhere with Florida down 65-63 and 1:58left turned out to be the biggest gaffe of the afternoon, as South Carolina guard Sindarius Thornwell stole the pass and set up Malik Kotsar for an easy transition jumper. South Carolina did an excellent job of trapping Hill in the corner with two defenders, making it hard for the 6-foot-1 point guard to set up offense.

— Sophomore center Kevarrius Hayes didn’t have his best day defensively. Yes, Hayes had eight rebounds and three blocks, but too often, Hayes allowed South Carolina center Malik Kotsar to back down too easy in the post and get high-percentage shots. At 6-foot-9 and 219 pounds, Hayes needs to work on his physical strength next season. This was a game Florida missed 6-11, 255-pound center John Egbunu badly.
— Junior forward Devin Robinson should have been able to impact the game more, given his size advantage at 6-8 compared to 6-6 guard P.J. Dozier. But Robinson never got into the flow of the game with just five points and one rebound in 22 minutes. Robinson had more turnovers (two) than rebounds (one).

Carolina deserves credit, Florida's offense in the second half was terrible - it was just dribble around the perimeter and jack dumb threes at the end of the shot clock. Inexplicably bad and White made no adjustments which was disappointing.

That said, the refs did us no favors. I don't think I've ever seen a team in the bonus 5 minutes into a half, nor have I ever seen 5 fouls called on one possession, mostly ticky tack, and nowhere near as bad as what they let both teams get away with most of the game, and don't even get me started on the non-travel call that was clear as day. Refs didn't lose us the game, but they sure didn't help.

Enjoy it, Carolina, but you still have 4 more Final Fours, 8 more Elite 8s, and two National Titles before you're where Florida is at ;-) Who knows, though, every program starts somewhere.

we still had plenty of those shots that were open looks and even better ones than the ones that fell in the first half.. We blew it again

Some observations from Brockway following Florida’s 77-70 loss to South Carolina at Madison Square Garden in the Elite Eight

— Senior point guard Kasey Hill’s final game in a Gator uniform encapsulated his UF career, some spectacular plays, followed by momentum-crushing mistakes. The errant pass to nowhere with Florida down 65-63 and 1:58left turned out to be the biggest gaffe of the afternoon, as South Carolina guard Sindarius Thornwell stole the pass and set up Malik Kotsar for an easy transition jumper. South Carolina did an excellent job of trapping Hill in the corner with two defenders, making it hard for the 6-foot-1 point guard to set up offense.

— Sophomore center Kevarrius Hayes didn’t have his best day defensively. Yes, Hayes had eight rebounds and three blocks, but too often, Hayes allowed South Carolina center Malik Kotsar to back down too easy in the post and get high-percentage shots. At 6-foot-9 and 219 pounds, Hayes needs to work on his physical strength next season. This was a game Florida missed 6-11, 255-pound center John Egbunu badly.
— Junior forward Devin Robinson should have been able to impact the game more, given his size advantage at 6-8 compared to 6-6 guard P.J. Dozier. But Robinson never got into the flow of the game with just five points and one rebound in 22 minutes. Robinson had more turnovers (two) than rebounds (one).
Robinson has NBA potential and showed it in flashes throughout the year. But this was 1 game where he was almost invisible, especially on the boards. I hope he comes back for his senior year.

UF would have needed to hit on 90% of it's 3's to beat the officials calls one way, combined with their lack of calls the other way... o_O

I told my better half what the outcome was going to be with 4-5 minutes left in the game and walked out of the room. I'm not going to watch or support that kind of total BS from the game officials. :rolleyes:

Hell, go back and rewatch the game, listing all of the times that Gator players were knocked clean to the floor with 'no calls' to follow, or even worse, with the call being on the 'knocked to the floor' Gator. :eek:
The lamecocks didn't play 'legit tough defense,' they played THUG defense, and the chitty refs let them get away with it. Take your pick on why/who is behind that kind of crap.... o_O

Pro Wrasslin' has more competent/unbiased refs.... :confused:

I don't blame the lamecocks or their Mickey Andrews type of coach for doing what they did to win. It's up to the game refs to make the calls. IF they are not going to do so, then continue to slam the other guys to the floor with obvious intentional Tech fouls, until and unless the refs do start making the correct calls. :cool:

This is like a corrupt/biased/blind plate ump calling low-outside balls, as strikes. If the ump is going to continue to do it, then as a pitcher, I'm not throwing a real strike all day.... o_O
(this is why they now so rarely put the plate box up to show where the pitches are going, because it shows how chitty the calls are)

And as a fan of the sports, I'm not going to support it or watch it.... :mad:

Better teams don't lose 2-3 DUMBASS.....You can't admit that UF is inferior to USC.

so inferior in fact, with all their domination, it took until yesterday for you to finally acknowledge it and come over here... hmmmm

can i take your money too or will you run like the cats fans that owe me after that L coming saturday? Don't backpeddle now cupcake, since USC is do superior and all to everyone and the best team in everything now... Even though everyone in the nation, including casual fans label your school worldwide as "uscjr" off the rip...

Robinson has NBA potential and showed it in flashes throughout the year. But this was 1 game where he was almost invisible, especially on the boards. I hope he comes back for his senior year.
With another year, he could be a sure fire first rounder. Right now he is a high second rounder. They rarely make the team.

B-Ball with Coach White and staff...
They end the season in at least the Top (Elite) 8 of college basketball.
SCa 70-50 Baylor-3 seed. -- SCa 77-70 UF-4 seed.
Not too bad for a 2nd year coach that some called a 'bad-hire' by Foley... o_O

Sr's that are gone for sure are:
PG Hill - SF-SG Barry - PF Leon - C Rimmer
SF Devin Robinson needs to come back, IF he wants 'quality' playing time in 2017-18.
He can probably go to the NBA, (11.1 Pts - 6.1 Rbs) but if he does, he won't start anywhere. He needs another year at UF imo, to continue his development, both as a players on the court and physically. However, not even he knows yet where he'll be next season. (get your UF degree D-Rob, because unlike the NBA, it lasts a life-time)

Projected Roster for 2017-18: (incoming Fr, 247 rankings)

PG Chris 'Cheezy' Chiozza 6-0 176 Sr
PG Eric Hester 6-3 167 So
~ #43 PG Michael Okauru 6-3 175 Fr *** -- Hard Commit, not signed.
Offers - UF - Clem, Kan, GaT, Rut.

SG KeVaughn 'KeV' Allen 6-2 183 Jr
SG Jalen Hudson 6-6 190 rsJr (VaT xfer)

SF Devin Robinson 6-8 200 Sr (returns? better for him and for the Gators)
~ #18 SF DeAundre Ballard 6-6 180 Fr **** (133-150) - signed
Offers - UF - SMU

PF Keith Stone 6-8 240 rsSo
PF Dontay Bassett 6-9 222 rsFr (rehabbing foot stress fracture as a Fr)
~ #44 PF-SF Chase Johnson 6-8 205 Fr *** - signed (a lot of offers for just a 3 star???)
Offers - UF - Tn, Sca, VU, Az, Clem, Butl, KSt, Marq, PSU, TCU, Va, VaT, WVa.

C John Egbunu 6-11 255 rsSr (ACL, unknown return date, Nov?)
C-PF Kevarrius Hayes 6-9 218 Jr
C Gorjok Gak 6-11 231 So
~ #26 C-PF Isaiah Stokes 6-8 250 Fr **** (144-150) - signed
Offers - UF - Tn, NC, TCU, IoSt.

Last edited:
And another elite eight down the drain.
Personally, I think Florida and Carolina are the two best teams in the elite 8. We were very fortunate to get the win. Would love to take UNC down in the Championship Game. Biggest cheaters in basketball history and probably won't get more than a wrist slap if anything.

usc is nowhere near one of the best teams that was left, they won't even get the displeasure of getting wiped by UNC... UNC even overcame the uk bullshit late and dominated most of the game and overcame the bullshit reffage in the last 6 minutes, including the hilarious "5" second desperation call

I think North Carolina will win it all. I thought them and Kansas were the 2 best teams and was surprised Oregon beat the Jayhawks. I can actually see South Carolina beating Gonzaga. I'm pulling for the Zags to win it all because I like their coach and how consistently good they've been over the last 10-12 years. But the overall quality of the competition they've played and the large margins of victory hurt them in close games against quality opposition. Gamecocks are on a roll, are playing their best basketball of the year and the tenacious way they play defense is very unsettling to teams who haven't faced them before. I can see them turning Gonzaga over a bunch and getting them frustrated.

Did you even watch the UK-UNC game Numbers? If you did then your comments make you look even more stupid than I thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT