ADVERTISEMENT

Florida vs Duke game day thread.

We are almost too quick to crash down on the player with the ball against teams like Duke and Gonzaga that have some good shooters. That was driving me nuts how open many of those shots were. That one guy was giving our big guy all kinds of fits also when it came to defending him.

I agree with this. Hill crashed down from the wing on the ball handler at the top of the key and gave up a wide open three on the wing, I believe to Allen. That's good to try to keep the guy out of the paint, but you can't let their best shooters just stand there and shoot.

SG Kevaughn Allen - 21 Pts, 2 TO's, 0 Ast, 0 Rbs.
(his main job is to score pts, and he did)

PG Kasey Hill - 13 Pts, 7 Rbs, 6 Ast, 2 TOs, 1 Blk.
(a much better PG that many give him credit for being)

SF Devin Robinson - 11 Pts, 4 Rbs, 1 Ast, 1 Blk
(double digit scoring in all but one (foul trouble) game so far)

C John Egbunu - 9 Pts, 12 Rbs -- 2 of 10 (-16 Pts) from in close...

PF Justin Leon - 7 Pts, 3 Rbs, 1 Ast.
(sharing time with Stone)
PF's Leon/Stone
- 10 Pts, 4 Rbs, 2 Asts, 1 Blk, 0 TO's

Starters - 61 Pts

----------

SF Canyon Barry - 6 Pts, 1 Rb, 1 Ast, 1 TO, 1 Blk, 2 Stls.

PF Keith Stone - 3 Pts, 1 Rb, 1 TO, 1 Blk

PG Chris Chiozza - 2 Pts, 1 Rb, 1 Ast, 3 TOs.

C/PF Kevarrius Hayes - 2 Pts, 2 Rbs, 1 TO, 2 Blks, 1 Stl

Bench - 13 Pts

==========

Still a problem for the Gators,,, The center play of Big John.
He's a good guy, a good Gator Student/Athlete, but a bit lacking as a center so far imo.

C Egbunu rsJr 6-11 255
FGA - 28 of 66 for 42.4%
FT's - 26 of 45 for 57.8%
Blk's - 23 - 1 Blk per 9.8 min/played
TO's - 14 in 9 games (1 TO per 16.1 min/played)
RB's - 72 in 226 Min. (1 RB in 3.14 min/played)
John's only advantage over Hayes is his rebounding, but he's only reached double digit RB's in 3 (10-10-12) of 9 games.

C/PF Hayes Soph 6-9 218
FGA - 13 of 25 for 52%
FT's - 13 of 18 for 72.2%
Blk's - 15 - 1 Blk per 7.9 min/played
TO's - 4 in 9 games (1 TO per 29.8 min/played)
RB's - 25 in 119 Min. (1 RB per 4.76 min/played)

SG Kevaughn Allen - 21 Pts, 2 TO's, 0 Ast, 0 Rbs.
(his main job is to score pts, and he did)

PG Kasey Hill - 13 Pts, 7 Rbs, 6 Ast, 2 TOs, 1 Blk.
(a much better PG that many give him credit for being)

SF Devin Robinson - 11 Pts, 4 Rbs, 1 Ast, 1 Blk
(double digit scoring in all but one (foul trouble) game so far)

C John Egbunu - 9 Pts, 12 Rbs -- 2 of 10 (-16 Pts) from in close...

PF Justin Leon - 7 Pts, 3 Rbs, 1 Ast.
(sharing time with Stone)
PF's Leon/Stone
- 10 Pts, 4 Rbs, 2 Asts, 1 Blk, 0 TO's

Starters - 61 Pts

----------

SF Canyon Barry - 6 Pts, 1 Rb, 1 Ast, 1 TO, 1 Blk, 2 Stls.

PF Keith Stone - 3 Pts, 1 Rb, 1 TO, 1 Blk

PG Chris Chiozza - 2 Pts, 1 Rb, 1 Ast, 3 TOs.

C/PF Kevarrius Hayes - 2 Pts, 2 Rbs, 1 TO, 2 Blks, 1 Stl

Bench - 13 Pts

==========

Still a problem for the Gators,,, The center play of Big John.
He's a good guy, a good Gator Student/Athlete, but a bit lacking as a center so far imo.

C Egbunu rsJr 6-11 255
FGA - 28 of 66 for 42.4%
FT's - 26 of 45 for 57.8%
Blk's - 23 - 1 Blk per 9.8 min/played
TO's - 14 in 9 games (1 TO per 16.1 min/played)
RB's - 72 in 226 Min. (1 RB in 3.14 min/played)
John's only advantage over Hayes is his rebounding, but he's only reached double digit RB's in 3 (10-10-12) of 9 games.

C/PF Hayes Soph 6-9 218
FGA - 13 of 25 for 52%
FT's - 13 of 18 for 72.2%
Blk's - 15 - 1 Blk per 7.9 min/played
TO's - 4 in 9 games (1 TO per 29.8 min/played)
RB's - 25 in 119 Min. (1 RB per 4.76 min/played)

Agree they need more from Egbunu. He got manhandled last night. I was hoping he and d-rob would play at close to all-league levels. Now that Hill has pulled it together, I think they are the ones who need to pick up their games. Egbunu just might not be much, offensively. He doesn't really score in the post, and he fumbles a lot of drop offs that should be baskets.

The coaches will work him on his weak points.

And hopefully, they will play Hayes more until Big John develops better scoring inside.

We'll see...

I'm surprised Hayes didn't play more last night. He had a couple rebounds, couple blocks, a basket in 11 min. I'm sure they were small and we were matching up, but we were getting shredded anyway.

This is true, but their open guys can knock down shots. Ours can't. We don't have anyone that shoots half as well as Kennard or Allen. If we ever rolled out a freshman big, who could score like that kid from Duke last night, I'd completely lose my marbles.
Yep. Been awhile since we have had a consistent outside scorer.

Yep. Been awhile since we have had a consistent outside scorer.

Robinson has a nice touch. And he can even handle it a little bit and should be able to get shots. But it just doesn't happen with any consistency. I was excited about Barry, but it doesn't like he's going to score consistently either. Allen's our best scorer by a mile, but he puts up a lot of shots to get his points. Beal and Parsons were probably the last guys we had that were real shooters. Freshman Michael Frazier too. Prather turned himself into a real scorer. If D-rob knew how to play like Prather, he'd be all-SEC.

That Duke team has 8 MickeyD AA's. Two of them didn't even play, (not needed).
Duke has had more MickeyD's since 2012, than UF has had in it's history.
Even being competitive with teams like Kan, Duke, and UK is a huge positive for UF. Beating UCLA and tOSU for NC's was absolutely amazing! Winning those B-2-B NC's with the same 5 starters was probably a once in a lifetime occurrence for UF, but the B-Ball Gators are here to stay, which is shown by the Gator's being able to follow up BillyD with another young coach like Mike White. JMOHO's of course. :)
=========

According to Jeff Sagarin/USA-Today: (SoS)

#18 UF 7-2 (16), with no home games played yet.

UF -10 to #3 Duke 9-1 (123)

UF -5 to #9 Gonzaga 9-0 (89)

UF +9 over #25 Miami 7-2 (179)

UF next @ #26 FSU 8-1 (210)

And UF has played the highest rated schedule so far (#16 SoS), among all of the current Top 25 ranked teams.
==========

White can't recruit either, no 5 star MickeyD AA's in his #12 ranked class.
Keep in mind that's
#12 out of 348 D1's. (that puts him in the Top 3.45%)

#12 PF/C Isaiah Stokes 6-8 273 **** - Memphis, TN - ESPN 60/100
(his bro Jarnell was 2x All SEC at Tenn, they offered him, but White signed him)

#19 SG/SF DeAundrae Ballard 6-6 195 **** - Atlanta, GA - ESPN 65/100

#37 SF/PF Chase Johnson 6-8 205 **** - Ripley, WVa - Combo 'stretch-4'

2014 #19 SG Jalen Hudson 6-6 190 Jr - Richmond, VA (another VaTech xfer)

Mike White is building for the now and for the future, and he's doing well at it imo.

I'd rather UF have 4 stars for 3-4 years with an occasional Bradley Beal type, than have a team full of 1&done MickeyD *****'s.
========

When considering recruit rankings, keep in mind the rankings of the 2x NC teams.

UF's 2004 Class - 247's Top 100 Recruits: (ESPN only goes back to 2007)

#22 SF Corey Brewer ***** MickeyD AA (#4 SF)
#38 PF Al Horford **** (#7 PF/C)
#76 PF Joakim Noah **** (#19 PF/C)
------------
#113 PG Green *** (#20 PG) - not even in the Top 100.
#221 SF Cornelius Ingram *** (Meyer forced him to drop B-Ball)

2003 Class
#39 PF Chris Richards **** (#11 PF)
#199 SG Lee Humhprey *** (#21 SG)

Last edited:
* 76.3%PG Kasey Hill's 2016 free-throw percentage, is a testament to the work he has put in at the gym during the off-season. He began the season at 56.8% for his career.
Over his last 4 games, Hill is a sterling 20-for-24 (83.3%). :eek:

Today against reFSUcks, they really need Big John to have a good game, hitting some of those short hooks and/or lay-ups.

Can the refs be any worse? Is that even possible?

When mild-mannered Mike White goes none-2-nose with the chitty biased-corrupt-incompetent officials, with a 'technical foul' as the result, then you know how bad the game officials really are.... :mad:

The Gator's just got 'officially' hosed yet again.... o_O

Enjoy the burn, insta.

Not much of a burn, as Gator fans are used to being hosed by the officials when we play the crinimoles.
Not as bad as 'The SWINDLE in the SWAMP,' but bad none the less, and truly tiresome.

Incompetent-Corrupt-Biased Officials are killing college sports imo. If we wanted the same level of officiating as Pro-wrassling, then there would be no problem. It only annoys me because they expect the fans with a functioning brain to still buy ($$) in to their chitty entertainment performance.

I'm down to only watching sports on the TV at this point, but that is even coming into jeopardy due to the chitty officiating across the board. It's no longer real 'sports' because it's down to just blind-eyed entertainment for the $$$$$$$$$$$$ advantage of those who control things. IMOHO, it's even seeping down to the HS level now.

Sand-lot ball is about all that's left that's still done for the sport of it... :cool:

This and That: \ One of the Gator radio guys was looking for what to can the Old O-Dome, with the update completed?

~ The 'new & improved' O-E Center-Dome... (oheeee-center-dome) :D

Anybody got a new name for it?

They don't mess around with teams that they're better than. We're a pretty good team heading into league play I think. I think we were 10-8 last year in the SEC. That probably gets us in the tourney this year.

They should be better than that this year, no reason not to be. This team is odd, they are just as good as they are average from one game to the next. They still have to start hitting from the outside, 6-21 in a 41 point win. Like they said on the SEC network, the offense is gonna come and go for this team, the defense has to be constant and defensive rebounding has to get better. Got some older guys on the team now with experience and the SEC doesn't seem very good we should be able to win at least 11 games in the league, I think around 13. The mediocrity on offense is a major pain in the ass off and on for this sport too.

In a relatively easy game, how did the Gators do at 'Position Groups' in this particular game?

PG Hill -------- 6 Pt, 4 RB, 5 Ast, 2 TO, 1 PF, in 20 Min (shooting was off, but best overall)

PG Chiozza - 9 Pt, 3 RB, 4 Ast, 2 TO, 1 PF, in 23 Min. (a good game overall)

PG Hester --- 7 Pt, 0 RB, 1 Ast, 1 TO, 3 PF, in 14 Min. (raw, but good effort)

SG Allen ------ 8 Pt, 2 RB, 3 Ast, 3 TO, 2 PF, in 23 Min (played hard, but seemed out of control)

Combined - 30 Pt, 9 RB, 13 Ast, 8 TO, 7 PF. (solid as a group)

C Egbunu out with a pulled hamstring.

C/PF Hayes - 9 Pt, 5 RB, 0 Ast, 0 TO, 1 PF, in 21 Min.

C Rimmer ---- 3 Pt, 4 RB, 0 Ast, 0 TO, 2 PF, in 12 Min. (scrapper)

C Gak -------- 0 Pt, 2 RB, 0 Ast, 2 TO, 2 PF, in 8 Min. (raw - lost)

Combined -- 12 Pt, 11 RB, 0 Ast, 2 TO, 5 PF.

SF Barry ------- 16 Pt, 4 RB, 2 Ast, 1 TO, 1 PF, in 22 Min.

SF Robinson - 15 Pt, 9 RB, 1 Ast, 0 TO, 2 PF, in 20 Min.

Combined --- 31 Pt, 13 RB, 3 Ast, 1 TO, 3 PF (those two were on fire)

PF Stone ----- 10 Pt, 4 RB, 0 Ast, 1 TO, 1 PF, in 19 Min. - better shooter

PF Leon -------- 4 Pt, 6 RB, 1 Ast, 0 TO, 2 PF, 18 Min. - better rebounder

Combined ----- 14 Pt, 10 RB, 1 Ast, 1 TO, 3 PF (double-doubles)

Team -- FT's -- 23 of 30, 76.7% -- FG's 29 of 58, 50% --> 3 Pt 6 of 21, 28.6%

3 Pt -- Robinson 1/1, Barry 1/3, Hester 1/3, Chiozza 1/3, Allen 2/8, Leon 0/1, Hill 0/2.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT