ADVERTISEMENT

Florida vs Duke game day thread.

MJWilliamson

Bull Gator
Apr 23, 2007
This marks the Gators’ first meeting with Duke since knocking off the top-ranked Blue Devils in the 2000 NCAA Sweet 16 in Syracuse en route to Florida’s fi rst national championship game appearance. UF is 4-12 all-time against Duke.

Florida’s 39-year-old head coach Mike White was three years old when Mike Krzyzewski was hired as Duke’s head coach. White’s father Kevin was a track and cross country coach at Gulf High in New Port Richey, Fla. Kevin is, of course, now the athletic director at Duke University.

This would be a really big win. If Hill would actually show up big in one of these games we would probably win the game but you can't count on that. Haven't looked at Duke's guards but Hill usually struggles with the taller athletic ones a lot of these top teams have.

I think we could hang in there with this team but don't expect the refs to let us. Kasey Hill really needs to take care of the ball. I'm sure Duke will put him in position to turn the ball over.

Reactions: acc hoops and 46885
Duke is passing the ball well. Florida is playing hero ball. We are going to need to start passing

too many stone hand bonehead turnovers with no one being guarded, Duke will start wearing them down if they don't stop the turnovers. Defense is playing well, only shot one from outside need Barry to get scoring...

We have a total of two assists. Neither guard is getting the rest of the team involved.

it was only a matter of time, can't even compete when they had many turnovers and before the free throw avalanche and free throw contest happens for the bags in the 2nd half... They can play physical and we can't breathe on anyone

they are favored by 2 in the 2nd half too, we are never even given a chance.

and always getting murdered by ONE guy with his career high only a basket away in the first half with half their points...rinse, repeat. #Gatorthings

about to get embarrassed

just like the football team and every sport, get a chance to score 4 points, get absolutely ZERO from the whole situation. Teams are identical every season and do things no one else could even attempt, a 6 point turnaround immediately.

Is Florida ever even gonna compete ever again with any decent big named school in sports?

I can't do kasey hill anymore

anything good happens, wipe it away immediately. Story of Gator sports

half their lineup having career one night only stands... how do we ever beat anyone with how people play against us? When was the last time they missed an outside shot

when was the last stop we made that they didn't turn it over? They miss a shot finally and get it right back for a 3

Lot to build on there. That's a very good Duke team. Helping too much on defense. Those 2nd chance 3's killed them. Gotta find your man. That was a good loss.

Duke cant play any better. Take away the final 4 min of first half we played them even. Great effort tonight. We look like a tourney team.

I thought a pretty good effort. Like Gonzaga, they have guys who can make shots in the half court. We don't. We hung in pretty good. Thought our bigs might at least keep up with theirs, but it wasn't close.

[QUOTE="Gator Fever, post: 945614, member: 575. ]A tourney team but would like to see us improve and be a real threat in the tourney.[/QUOTE]
I dont think we have the horses for a deep run. But we played a potential title contender close most of the game. Duke has 8 burger boys.

As soon as we got it to 7 and finally got a stop hill made sure he stopped that fast giving it up twice in a row.. That kid cannot have the ball at the end of games or any important situations at all

When was the last time somebody didn't have a career high against Florida? Even in a 30 point win the last team had a guy with 80% of all their points in the first half then kept nailing threes in the 2nd half

This team needs D-Rob to be more than a complimentary player. Just going with the flow and putting up 10 points and 5 boards every night isn't good enough.

As soon as we got it to 7 and finally got a stop hill made sure he stopped that fast giving it up twice in a row.. That kid cannot have the ball at the end of games or any important situations at all

Hill didn't turn it over at 7. That was Allen who tried to dish it to Egbunu. Hill missed a tough shot next time down. Hill was good though. He and Allen were the only ones playing offense. Hill is not this team's problem, offensively. They got no shot makers.

the biggest problem is having one guy light us up on the other end each game, the problems on offense aren't gonna change. They have to stop letting two guys drill them

Kennard is averaging 20 a game. You hate to see him go for 30 on us, but it happens. Amile Jefferson was the killer. 24 and 15? I'd bet those are both career highs. I thought we had the edge on him with Egbunu, going into the game.

I don't remember the last time we had an edge in anything or not the most possible bad luck and breaks against all opponents.. We play bad and get everyones best

They keep finding open guys also.
That is the takeaway. The Duke players pass the ball to find open guys. Our players wanted to play hero ball, especially in the first half when we had only two assists and got down by 10 points. In the second half, I give Kasey a lot of credit. He distributed the ball well and got six assists. As a result, we played Duke to a standstill.

That is the takeaway. The Duke players pass the ball to find open guys. Our players wanted to play hero ball, especially in the first half when we had only two assists and got down by 10 points. In the second half, I give Kasey a lot of credit. He distributed the ball well and got six assists. As a result, we played Duke to a standstill.

We are almost too quick to crash down on the player with the ball against teams like Duke and Gonzaga that have some good shooters. That was driving me nuts how open many of those shots were. That one guy was giving our big guy all kinds of fits also when it came to defending him.

Duke is going to beat a lot of teams by 10+ points this year. This was a solid performance by our guys. As bradleygator stated above, if Coach White can pick up the recruiting a bit, we should have a chance to contend for Final Fours fairly often.

I'm also interested in seeing if playing so many neutral site games somehow gives us an edge in March. I guess it's impossible to quantify something like that, though.

This is true, but their open guys can knock down shots. Ours can't. We don't have anyone that shoots half as well as Kennard or Allen. If we ever rolled out a freshman big, who could score like that kid from Duke last night, I'd completely lose my marbles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT