ADVERTISEMENT

Better Gator coach, Meyer or Spurrier

And if you are any team in the SEC, you have the potential to win a National Title...

If UCF and USF can get within smelling distance of a National Title game, South Carolina could potentially do it too...
But not with Mus.

Steve’s greatness can’t really be measured by South Carolina.

They didn't play an SEC schedule though. UCF for example only played two ranked teams all year

They didn't play an SEC schedule though. UCF for example only played two ranked teams all year
Agree. I like UCF and their win over Auburn was impressive. But it's different when you have the grind of playing 8 SEC teams as opposed to getting up for 1 big game.

Agree. I like UCF and their win over Auburn was impressive. But it's different when you have the grind of playing 8 SEC teams as opposed to getting up for 1 big game.

Even 8 big ten teams... Or 8 big 12 teams...

Of course Saban could win a Title at USC Jr. Saban is in a league of his own. He is arguably the best college coach of all time. If he left to go to USC, the recruits would follow. You cannot argue with 6 national titles. Despite losing assistance right and left the product of his football teams never seem to fall off. The second Saban retires, Alabama football is going to take a huge hit. It is not Alabama that made Saban great ,which is why they do everything in their power to make him happy.

I'll go with Meyer.

The Dude DOMINATED the UF rivals. What was it like one loss to FSU and one to UGA? Never lost to UT or Miami.

But hell Spurrier had the fans and teams playing with some swagger. I'd walk into (or tune into) many games just waiting to see stats piled up and knowing we would get a sneak peek at the underclassmen playing third team.

Thing is though... Spurrier was guaranteed to choke at least one game a year while a heavy favorite.
Meyer wasn't facing the Tennessee Spurrier faced year in and year out. Georgia was slightly better while he was there, and he split with them going against the two really good teams they had (2007 and 2005).

Most years, the West team they faced was good, but not great in the championship. It really is an extremely close call. Steve was a better X and O guy. Meyer a much better recruiter.

I'll take Meyer because recruiting is a part of the coach's job description...

Meyer wasn't facing the Tennessee Spurrier faced year in and year out. Georgia was slightly better while he was there, and he split with them going against the two really good teams they had (2007 and 2005).

Most years, the West team they faced was good, but not great in the championship. It really is an extremely close call. Steve was a better X and O guy. Meyer a much better recruiter.
Spurrier went against better UT teams, Meyer faced better UGA teams. Spurrier faced better FSU teams, Meyer faced better LSU teams. UGA was not slightly better, Richt teams were so much better than Goff/Donan teams.

Alabama was great at the beginning of the Spurrier tenure then took a dip. Bama was getting the machine cranked up at the end of the Meyer tenure.

Spurrier is Florida football, Heisman winner, the man took us from a sleeping giant more known for a sports drink, into a menace the SEC had no answer for.

If he had not left for the NFL I think he wins two more National Championships.

Meyer is undervalued because of how he left town. When he arrived he was the best all around coach in our program's history, imo. He was more CEO than straight ball coach though.

I repeat though, Spurrier is Florida football.

Spurrier went against better UT teams, Meyer faced better UGA teams. Spurrier faced better FSU teams, Meyer faced better LSU teams. UGA was not slightly better, Richt teams were so much better than Goff/Donan teams.

Alabama was great at the beginning of the Spurrier tenure then took a dip. Bama was getting the machine cranked up at the end of the Meyer tenure.

Georgia was no huge powerhouse when Meyer was here. I think 07 was their only really good year Meyer was our coach. Zook was the one that got a good Georgia team every year he was the coach. Spurrier got good Georgia teams about 4 times while he was here.

Nothing in our standard schedule with Meyer compared to Spurrier getting FSU and Tenn as true powerhouses all those years. LSU was good mostly during Meyer's tenure but Spurrier caught a good LSU team about 4 times or so.

Even if you take Tenn and LSU and cancel them out nothing in Meyer's yearly schedule compares at all to catching an FSU team that was top 5 literally every season practically.

If the question was, which coach Florida fans prefer, hands down Spurrier wins. However the question is the better coach... Hard to argue against double the national titles in the fraction of the time. UF was the most dominate they have ever been under Meyer. As a rival fan if i was given a choice to pick UF's coach, Spurrier in his Prime or Meyer... Id say give you Spurrier and it would be a easy decision.

If the question was, which coach Florida fans prefer, hands down Spurrier wins. However the question is the better coach... Hard to argue against double the national titles in the fraction of the time. UF was the most dominate they have ever been under Meyer. As a rival fan if i was given a choice to pick UF's coach, Spurrier in his Prime or Meyer... Id say give you Spurrier and it would be a easy decision.
I can't sat I disagree. I'd pick Meyer myself but I have to play both sides of this because all are valid points.

We will never know how Meyer would have done facing those powerful teams of the FSU 90's. We do know Spurrier prevented FSU from winning a national title and kept them out of the title game another time.

FSU's dynasty would have been more if it wasn't for Spurrier beating them when he did. Fact or fiction?

I can't sat I disagree. I'd pick Meyer myself but I have to play both sides of this because all are valid points.

We will never know how Meyer would have done facing those powerful teams of the FSU 90's. We do know Spurrier prevented FSU from winning a national title and kept them out of the title game another time.

FSU's dynasty would have been more if it wasn't for Spurrier beating them when he did. Fact or fiction?

Id say Fiction. FSU beat Spuirrier more then he beat them. FSU also made it to plenty of Title games in the dynasty . Florida was a hurdle but one that FSU cleared more times then not.

Reactions: BucaNole
Id say Fiction. FSU beat Spuirrier more then he beat them. FSU also made it to plenty of Title games in the dynasty . Florida was a hurdle but one that FSU cleared more times then not.

I was talking to a few older FSU fans from back in the day and they to a man said Florida was on the radar but we had more to worry about like championships and Miami. Never thought much of spurrier after reading about him and I think Meyer was benefited from circumstance. I dont know if Florida has ever had a true elite head coach.

I was talking to a few older FSU fans from back in the day and they to a man said Florida was on the radar but we had more to worry about like championships and Miami. Never thought much of spurrier after reading about him and I think Meyer was benefited from circumstance. I dont know if Florida has ever had a true elite head coach.
You may very well be the most clueless and gigantic douchebag in sports message board posting history.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
FSU was beating pretty much anyone more than they beat FSU. No doubt FSU made it to the title game plenty of times but Spurs undoubtedly beat them to prevent it as well beat them in the title game. That's two titles Spurs prevented FSU from gaining.

*And I'm not even counting 1995, had FSU knocked off UF they would have played Nebraska more than likely.

FSU was beating pretty much anyone more than they beat FSU. No doubt FSU made it to the title game plenty of times but Spurs undoubtedly beat them to prevent it as well beat them in the title game. That's two titles Spurs prevented FSU from gaining.

*And I'm not even counting 1995, had FSU knocked off UF they would have played Nebraska more than likely.

No doubt spurs beat FSU in the title game but there is doubt on whether or not Spurs prevented FSU from having a even greater dynasty. I say no, by evidence that FSU had plenty of opportunities to win more titles. Spurs did not really stand in FSU's way. If Spurs was the great hurdle that Bobby could not quite get over, then you would be correct. But he got over that hurdle many times.

Urban's dominance lasted 5 years. And we were only elite 3 of those years. Spurrier's dominance lasted a decade. How on earth do you come to the conclusion we were more dominant under Urban? There's something to be said for longevity.

Reactions: Gator Fever

For a period that went from the 1980s through the early 90s, the Miami rivalry was bigger. But in the mid-late 90s, the UF rivalry was bigger.

Also, I get that you are young (hopefully), but saying that you "never thought much of Spurrier after reading about him," is just inviting ridicule.

For a period that went from the 1980s through the early 90s, the Miami rivalry was bigger. But in the mid-late 90s, the UF rivalry was bigger.

Also, I get that you are young (hopefully), but saying that you "never thought much of Spurrier after reading about him," is just inviting ridicule.

I don't understand how you can't have the most basic conversation without these folks jumping up and down about shaming their honor.

If you just take their Gator careers, Spurrier has the edge, but overall it's Urban without a doubt.
Took over a 2-9 BG, went 8-3 and 9-3
Took over a 5-6 Utah went 10-2 and 12-0
Took over a Gator program with 3 straight 5 loss seasons, won 2 NC, and had three 13-1 seasons in 6 years
Took over a 6-7 OSU, but to be fair that record very misleading, OSU was in good shape, went undefeated first year, won a NC two years later, and has a winning percentage over 90 there

He has a winning percentage over 85, 3 NCs, and two undefeated seasons where he didn't get to play for NC. Best career winning percentage(FBS) post WW II

No doubt spurs beat FSU in the title game but there is doubt on whether or not Spurs prevented FSU from having a even greater dynasty. I say no, by evidence that FSU had plenty of opportunities to win more titles. Spurs did not really stand in FSU's way. If Spurs was the great hurdle that Bobby could not quite get over, then you would be correct. But he got over that hurdle many times.

I think at least 2 times we kept you from playing for a national championship when you look at how things ended up.

Spurrier was a little cursed against FSU but except for 95 and 96 FSU had the talent advantage in that game.

I think at least 2 times we kept you from playing for a national championship when you look at how things ended up.

Spurrier was a little cursed against FSU but except for 95 and 96 FSU had the talent advantage in that game.

Miami was the greatest deterrent. Gators may have kept us out once but my gawd fvcking Miami was a thorn in our side.

Miami was the greatest deterrent. Gators may have kept us out once but my gawd fvcking Miami was a thorn in our side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Florida_State_Seminoles_football_seasons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida–Florida_State_football_rivalry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State–Miami_football_rivalry

The thing is that Bowden (1976-2009) & FSU had a losing record against both Florida (17-18-1) and Miami (14-21). In FSU's best era (1987-2000), it was very often that either Miami and/or Florida that would end the seminoles' hopes for the national title shot along with teams like Clemson ('89), Auburn ('90) and ACC teams: NC State ('98) & Virginia ('95).

In 1993 when FSU managed wins against both Florida & Miami in the same season for one of the very few times ('89, '98, '99), Notre Dame defeated FSU in the regular season. It very well could have been a split title in that season as both teams finished 11-1 and won their bowl games.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of FSU's 19 losses in that era, here was the breakdown of the regular season losses:
Miami - 7 ('87,'88, '90, '91, '92, '94, '00)
Florida - 3 ('91, '95, '97)
One loss each to Southern Miss ('89), Clemson ('89), Auburn ('90), Notre Dame ('93)
Virginia ('95), & NC State ('98).

The three other losses occured in national title games:
'96 Florida, '98 Tennessee, & '00 Oklahoma.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In '96 & '97, Florida also managed to defeat a couple of 11-1 FSU teams as did Miami in '87, '88 and '92. Additionally in '91, FSU's only losses came against both Florida & Miami. In 2000, despite a loss to Miami, it was FSU that was able to play for the national title against Oklahoma.

Ultimately, it was Florida ('96), Tennessee ('98), Oklahoma ('00), and Oregon ('14) who were directly responsibile for FSU's lack of additional titles more than Miami itself.

Reactions: bradleygator
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida–Florida_State_football_rivalry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State–Miami_football_rivalry

The thing is that Bowden (1976-2009) & FSU had a losing record against both Florida (17-18-1) and Miami (14-21). In FSU's best era (1987-2000), it was very often that either Miami and/or Florida that would end the seminoles' hopes for the national title shot along with teams like Clemson ('89), Auburn ('90) and ACC teams: NC State ('98) & Virginia ('95).

In 1993 when FSU managed wins against both Florida & Miami in the same season for one of the very few times ('89, '98, '99), Notre Dame defeated FSU in the regular season. It very well could have been a split title in that season as both teams finished 11-1 and won their bowl games.
Of FSU's 19 losses in that era, here was the breakdown of the regular season losses:
Miami - 7 ('87,'88, '90, '91, '92, '94, '00)
Florida - 3 ('91, '95, '97)
One loss each to Southern Miss ('89), Clemson ('89), Auburn ('90), Notre Dame ('93)
Virginia ('95), & NC State ('98).

The three other losses occured in national title games:
'96 Florida, '98 Tennessee, & '00 Oklahoma.

In '96 & '97, Florida also managed to defeat a couple of 11-1 FSU teams as did Miami in '87, '88 and '92. Additionally in '91, FSU's only losses came against both Florida & Miami. In 2000, despite a loss to Miami, it was FSU that was able to play for the national title against Oklahoma.

Ultimately, it was Florida ('96), Tennessee ('98), Oklahoma ('00), and Oregon ('14) who were directly responsibile for FSU's lack of additional titles more than Miami itself.

Wrong

Different time, and different eras. Spurrier was definitely a better X’s and O’s offense genius. He didn’t need a OC to be successful on offense.

Meyer was a better recruiter but even though he got so much credit as being a speed guru he didn’t call plays and his offenses sucked when he has a crappy OC.

And Spurrier was an alumni, revolutionized the SEC, and coached st UF for over a decade while Meyer was a head case and left after brief tenure.

Meyer won 2 NC’s to Spurrier’s 1.

I give the nod to Spurrier.

There may not have been Meyer without Spurrier. Spurrier showed the world the potential UF could be. Spurrier awoke a sleeping giant and the right coach can replicate what Meyer did at UF and potentially be better. But Spurrier absolutely changed and revolutionized the game. Until a coach gets to UF and changes the game the way he did some of you may be weighing one more national title over the bigger picture of establishing a program’s course for success and setting a standard. Plus UF winning an SEC title without controversy had never been done before much less the frequency Spurrier did it with.

There may not have been Meyer without Spurrier. Spurrier showed the world the potential UF could be. Spurrier awoke a sleeping giant and the right coach can replicate what Meyer did at UF and potentially be better. But Spurrier absolutely changed and revolutionized the game. Until a coach gets to UF and changes the game the way he did some of you may be weighing one more national title over the bigger picture of establishing a program’s course for success and setting a standard. Plus UF winning an SEC title without controversy had never been done before much less the frequency Spurrier did it with.

I disagree that someone could replicate what meyer did. He was so dominate other than his firzt and last yr. The gatrs ran thru the SEC and rivals with Meyer. That has never happened before.

Im not saying within the next 500 yrs it cant be replicated and im not saying that UF cant win a national title or be dominate. Im saying UF's team wont be what it was when tebow and harvin and the murderer were there. Just like FSU wont have another team like we did in 13. Those teams were absolutely loaded and 2 of the best teams probably top 6 out of any teams of all time.

Florida had 2005 2007 and 2010 that were subpar for their standards. If they’d been able to pull off 2009 I would agree with you but they were a play away from adding ‘98 to their list under Spurrier. Sometimes teams come up short. We should know...

The overall point is that Spurrier is to UF what Rockne was to Notre Dame, Woody was to Ohio St, and Bobby was to FSU. Lots of success can come later but all the later success needed a started point which should not be taken for granted.

I disagree that someone could replicate what meyer did. He was so dominate other than his firzt and last yr. The gatrs ran thru the SEC and rivals with Meyer. That has never happened before.

Im not saying within the next 500 yrs it cant be replicated and im not saying that UF cant win a national title or be dominate. Im saying UF's team wont be what it was when tebow and harvin and the murderer were there. Just like FSU wont have another team like we did in 13. Those teams were absolutely loaded and 2 of the best teams probably top 6 out of any teams of all time.

I thought FSU had better teams than 13 even if those other teams had a loss.

Meyer more successful recruiter and greater short term run. Spurrier was a better coach.

I thought FSU had better teams than 13 even if those other teams had a loss.

No chance. That 13 team was loaded to the brim with talent. Every starter played time in the nfl and even the backups were good. Karlos Williams was our 3rd stringer at rb...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT