ADVERTISEMENT

Better Gator coach, Meyer or Spurrier

Anyone winning 11 games for three years in a row at USC is the best.. Not a single way to get around hating or demeaning that, not even for Clemson fans.. Who lost to Spurrier like 5-6 in a row under his tenure.

Reactions: rdgtr
Not downing the Ol Ball Coach but everyone uses his SCar success.

He was still in charge and was as responsible as much as Muschamp, Richt, and Butch/Dooley for letting Mizzou be top's in the east.

Heck he was even around when butter tooth won the east his first year.

No doubt he did a tremendous job at SCar but he never was "upper tier" for long when the east was a big pile of hot shiz.

I just feel like you’re so far off on this one bud.

Maybe not Duke, but USCe was certainly an upper-tier SEC East program for a while. And this was when the SEC was near its peak.

I dont ever remember South Carolina as a power house when he was there. Ever. Did he improve them, sure. Did he ever win the East? I mean, if he didnt even win the east that is not contending. Meyer took Utah to an undefeated season and had bowling green rolling. He won a championship at Oh st by beating saban and bama with a 3rd string QB.

Im not arguing the ole ball coach is not a hall of famer, i cursed him for yrs. I hated when he was there. I feared what Urban would do to my booty hole on gameday tho. I was so happy when he left.

Im not sure beyond nostalgia anyone has proven to me that spurrier was better, at best its a toss up but i still give the edge to Meyer. Its not some grand canyon, its a slight edge, but its there.

Reactions: TennesseeGator

Help me understand.

He was 86 and 49 at Scar which is good

He was 20 and 13 at duke which is good

He was 122 and 27 at UF which is amazing

He lost almost double the games at Scar whike winning 40 less. Almost a 20% dip in win ratio.

I get that he won a lot at UF. Many may not know this but he also was a head coach for the united states football league.

I also dont think we can count Washington against him, i dont think meyer would have success in the pros either

In conclusion he was amazing, lights out hall of fame coach at UF but abov avg at others

Help me understand.

He was 86 and 49 at Scar which is good

He was 20 and 13 at duke which is good

He was 122 and 27 at UF which is amazing

He lost almost double the games at Scar whike winning 40 less. Almost a 20% dip in win ratio.

I get that he won a lot at UF. Many may not know this but he also was a head coach for the united states football league.

I also dont think we can count Washington against him, i dont think meyer would have success in the pros either

In conclusion he was amazing, lights out hall of fame coach at UF but abov avg at others

To address another ost, yes, he did win the division while at South Carolina.

Secondly. He took three programs to heights they had never even glimpsed before.

You obviously skipped my post about it.

Reactions: ocalaman
You can't simply look at records at schools like SC and Duke. It's what he accomplished there, one short term because he left for his Alma Mater.. and at South Carolina longer term than he was at UF. If anyone wants to understand just what he did there, just look at SC's history and what they've never done. The SEC was at its speak exactly when he took over to start there. No ones gonna touch what he did at USC as their football coach.

but by coaching alone, he's the most elite play caller ever. He knew exactly what to do to hurt other teams, with really good defenses. Can only imagine what he would have done against the ACC or Big 12 schedules all those years in the 90's with FSU.

Spurrier and it's not close. Meyer won but then tore down Gator football and snuck out of town.
He did stick around for a year but it kinda made Muschamp uncomfortable. But yes he was a pu$$ had his little heart issues he recovered from quiet quickly.

On the same token OBC just threw in the towel mid season at SCar.

Man I hate this debate because I always feel like I'm talking bad about the most complete Florida Gator ever. But I just have to say this.

While Florida and Tenn both had a run of two ignorant hires each(you can add Kiffin as 3 for UT due to his immaturiy at the time) and UGA had a career underachiever Spurs could have taken the opportunity to go out on top. Those are the 3 upper tier programs of the east when you take everything into. account. Instead of going out on top his flame and desire fizzled.

True or false?

You can't simply look at records at schools like SC and Duke. It's what he accomplished there, one short term because he left for his Alma Mater.. and at South Carolina longer term than he was at UF. If anyone wants to understand just what he did there, just look at SC's history and what they've never done. The SEC was at its speak exactly when he took over to start there. No ones gonna touch what he did at USC as their football coach.

but by coaching alone, he's the most elite play caller ever. He knew exactly what to do to hurt other teams, with really good defenses. Can only imagine what he would have done against the ACC or Big 12 schedules all those years in the 90's with FSU.

All of that is true but you can't discredit what Meyer did at BG and Utah.

I don't feel like researching Utah's history but just off of memory that stretches back to somewhere of 1982 I never remember Utah being of any significant.

To address another ost, yes, he did win the division while at South Carolina.

Secondly. He took three programs to heights they had never even glimpsed before.

You obviously skipped my post about it.

I must have. I will go back later

I agree
Those 3 yrs were impressive but every other yr was scar lvl stuff.

That's the thing, all those other years were still above S Car "level stuff"

Starting from 05, he took them to bowl games and won them. The only other coach that even made that somewhat regular for them a few years was Holtz beating Ohio State in the Outback Bowl two straight years.

Starting from 05, he took them to bowl games and won them. The only other coach that even made that somewhat regular for them a few years was Holtz beating Ohio State in the Outback Bowl two straight years.

I remember one bowl game he didnt win.....i was there

Take out those 3 yrs and he averaged about 6.5 wins a yr. On avg Scar won 6 games per yr over its history. So he won about 1 more game per yr on all other yrs. That is SCAR lvl. He was just there so he accounted for an extra win or 2.

If you go bqck and look, their OOC games are what they won the most. Remember, this is a time when Clemson was just ok, not great. Spurrier did a good job at Scar, i dont want to demean it but Meyer did better at Utah and and Bowli g Green than Spurrier did at Scar. Also, meyer got Oh st a national title and spurrier didnt get scar close. Yes oh st history is different but spurrier had resources at Scar to get there. If Saban went to scar, 100% they are in a title game. Same as Meyer. At least that is what i think.

In conclusion, i think Spurrier did a great job at every stop which is why he is a hall of famer but i think Meyer did better at each stop

Your not winning a national title at USCjr. They don’t have the resources at all. They have only won the East once. Don’t just make up stuff either.

You're splitting hairs. They are both Hall of Fame college coaches.

Your not winning a national title at USCjr. They don’t have the resources at all. They have only won the East once. Don’t just make up stuff either.

You're splitting hairs. They are both Hall of Fame college coaches.

Do u think saban wins a title at Sacr? Honest question.

I didnt make anything up, everything i posted was factual with his wins and things like that, he did do better than anyone before him. He had 3 seasons with 11 wins. Im not taking away anything from him. Im being nitpicky because i think the race between him and meyer is so close that you have to nitpick in order to pick one. Thats just my opinion.

Do u think saban wins a title at Sacr? Honest question.

I didnt make anything up, everything i posted was factual with his wins and things like that, he did do better than anyone before him. He had 3 seasons with 11 wins. Im not taking away anything from him. Im being nitpicky because i think the race between him and meyer is so close that you have to nitpick in order to pick one. Thats just my opinion.
Does Saban win a national title at USCjr? Of course he doesn’t. He had a USCjr type job at Michigan St. Nobody is winning a national title at USCjr.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Does Saban win a national title at USCjr? Of course he doesn’t. He had a USCjr type job at Michigan St. Nobody is winning a national title at USCjr.

I dont believe that. I think he does. He has perfected the college game. He was young at mich st.

I dont believe that. I think he does. He has perfected the college game. He was young at mich st.
Big big big difference between coaching/recruiting at LSU/Bama and coaching at USCjr. Not even close in comparison. Saban is a great college coach but he’s won at places that have had proven success in the past.

He was old enough to realize he couldn't win it all at Michigan State. He's admitted he needed to go somewhere with a better recruiting base.

He was old enough to realize he couldn't win it all at Michigan State. He's admitted he needed to go somewhere with a better recruiting base.

Funny, cause MichSt beat tOSU/Meyer on their way to the 2015 BigTen-C. ;)

Meyer at UF in 6 Years - 2-1 SEC-C, 2/2 NC
~ Meyer only has 2 BigTen-C's and 1 NC in 6 years at tOSU.

Spurrier at UF in 12 Years - 6 SEC-C (*7), 1/2 NC
* 1990 6-1 for the best record in the SEC (SEC-C - bs probation).
1991 7-0 SEC-C (SEC-C game began in 1992)
1992 > 2001 he went 5-2 in SEC-C games. 7 trips in 10 years.
His 1st NC loss was to what many call the best team in CF history.
~ Now add in his 1966 Heisman
~~ Then add in only Heisman to coach a Heisman, 1996.

A Bum Phillips quote has been applied to very few coaches, but Steve is one of them;
"He can take his-un and beat yur-un,,,
then he could take yur-un and beat his-un." :cool:

Big big big difference between coaching/recruiting at LSU/Bama and coaching at USCjr. Not even close in comparison. Saban is a great college coach but he’s won at places that have had proven success in the past.

and there's a big difference between michigan state and south carolina. and again Saban still couldn't come close there, in a much better spot and schedule overall.

clearly people don't understand how tough it is to be great at SC. Muschamp went from being a failure for UF, to held up carried off the field for winning a bowl game against Michigan being 8-5. Here, our fans wanted him dead.

Just think about it

and there's a big difference between michigan state and south carolina. and again Saban still couldn't come close there, in a much better spot and schedule overall.

clearly people don't understand how tough it is to be great at SC. Muschamp went from being a failure for UF, to held up carried off the field for winning a bowl game against Michigan being 8-5. Here, our fans wanted him dead.

Just think about it

Expectation is different than what can occur. People said bama could nvr win again, same thing they say about Nebraska now. Todays Saban could take over SCar and have them in the collegw football playoff. Spurrier got them to 11 and 2, u dont think saban could get them to 12 and 1?

I think Saban is the best coach of all time in cfb.

Below him in another category is Bowden, Meyer, Spurrier, and maybe 1 or 2 more. I dont count the pedo helper Joe Pa.

No one truly believes Nebraska will never win again, nor did they think it about Bama.

Those schools are complete opposites of low money schools and locations overall like SC. It's like people thinking Florida will stay in the condition they have been long term. People will always find that good coaching not only wins at these big money and talent schools, it dominates.

Coaching is the reason these big schools have been seeing huge drop offs, the talent has still been there.

When you get top level elite in game coaching like Spurrier, he can win without the best talent.. but with it, you see what he did at his alma mater. He pulverized with it like a video game

No one truly believes Nebraska will never win again, nor did they think it about Bama.

Those schools are complete opposites of low money schools and locations overall like SC. It's like people thinking Florida will stay in the condition they have been long term. People will always find that good coaching not only wins at these big money and talent schools, it dominates.

Coaching is the reason these big schools have been seeing huge drop offs, the talent has still been there.

When you get top level elite in game coaching like Spurrier, he can win without the best talent.. but with it, you see what he did at his alma mater. He pulverized with it like a video game

Coaching, and the total job it entails (recruiting, etc) is more important in college football than in any other sport.

I believe what you'll find, is some of us are saying Spurrier is a better game day coach than Saban.

tough for people to swallow

Maybe he is. Spurrier was amazing on gameday. I cant deny that but Sban has won 5 championships? So maybe game day coaching is not all that matters. I personally think Spurrier is a top 5 coach of all time. Watching coach and even speak was awesome, i use to wish he woukd coach us when Bowden retired so me saying Saban woukd do better is not a slight to Spurrier at all. I just think Saban is that good. I also think if Spurrier was at Scar 10 yrs earlier and the current playoff system was around that he could get in

Saban would not win a title at USCe. When at a similar school in prestige to USCe he lost 5 per year. And even though he won a title at LSU that title was sandwiched in between a bunch of mediocre seasons. Saban's strength is not on gameday and he wouldn't have the resorueces he has at Bama. Saban really took off at Bama where he has an unlimited budget to have a ridiculous recruiting staff, a big team of 'off the field' analysts who help them on game day giving them a crazy competitive advantage, and cash to pay all the best assistants. I mean they have/have had a bunch of former head coaches serving as 'analysts.' Saban essentially got given a blank check to build a machine that only a handful of schools could support financially.

A good comparison for what I'm saying would be Jimbo at FSU. Jimbo was always pushing for facility upgrades and more money to hire a bigger staff. I've seen it estimated that between facilities, support staff, and assistant coaching salaries FSU would have had to pay almost $100M to get Jimbo what he wanted. And FSU would STILL be below where Bama is with what they're spending for their operation. Saban's method can't work at any school that isn't stacked with resources they legit just outspend everybody legally and illegally.

Saban would not win a title at USCe. When at a similar school in prestige to USCe he lost 5 per year. And even though he won a title at LSU that title was sandwiched in between a bunch of mediocre seasons. Saban's strength is not on gameday and he wouldn't have the resorueces he has at Bama. Saban really took off at Bama where he has an unlimited budget to have a ridiculous recruiting staff, a big team of 'off the field' analysts who help them on game day giving them a crazy competitive advantage, and cash to pay all the best assistants. I mean they have/have had a bunch of former head coaches serving as 'analysts.' Saban essentially got given a blank check to build a machine that only a handful of schools could support financially.

A good comparison for what I'm saying would be Jimbo at FSU. Jimbo was always pushing for facility upgrades and more money to hire a bigger staff. I've seen it estimated that between facilities, support staff, and assistant coaching salaries FSU would have had to pay almost $100M to get Jimbo what he wanted. And FSU would STILL be below where Bama is with what they're spending for their operation. Saban's method can't work at any school that isn't stacked with resources they legit just outspend everybody legally and illegally.

I agree with a lot of what u said but Spurrier was able to win 11 games there for 3 yrs. You dont think Saban could have won 12 and made the playoffs? I think he could. Saban is not a bad gameday coach. Hes not spurrier but few are. However, Saban could recruit much better. To me its unfair to say that when he was at Mich st is a good comparison. I dont think that is true. Saban is much better now than when he was at amich st. All these kids grow up knowing saban is the best so they want to play for him, no one knew who he was bqck then so its apples to oranges to me. If saban had left bama 4 to 6 yrs ago to go to Scar, he would have made the playoffs by now and possibly won it all. He is the best coach of all time right now so i do think its fair to use evidence from when he was unknown. He didnt have great seasons at LSU every yr but he did win a title and i think it would be similar at SCar now but with better seasons.

And if you are any team in the SEC, you have the potential to win a National Title...

If UCF and USF can get within smelling distance of a National Title game, South Carolina could potentially do it too...
But not with Mus.

Steve’s greatness can’t really be measured by South Carolina.

We &ad the ghost of space heater for awhile
sadgator is a friend to all...but man he had an issue with Ghost...
769068bb9ca6811fe5a242d444a81a02.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT