ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball 2024

instaGATOR

Bull Gator
May 29, 2001
Ocala, the thread you named did not come up in a search, nor in the last 3 pages, so I'll just begin one now.

Though Florida's baseball roster appears to be exceptionally well-rounded entering the 2023 season, there is perhaps no position as well-equipped to succeed as first base. The corner infield spot has the potential to have the most combined home runs hit by players who man it, making it one of the strongest overall first base groups in the SEC.

1. Jac Caglianone 6-5 250 Jr
2. Tyler Shelnut 6-2 200 Sr
3. Luke Heyman 6-4 220 So
4. Brody Donay 6-5 235 So

Ocala, the thread you named did not come up in a search, nor in the last 3 pages, so I'll just begin one now.

Though Florida's baseball roster appears to be exceptionally well-rounded entering the 2023 season, there is perhaps no position as well-equipped to succeed as first base. The corner infield spot has the potential to have the most combined home runs hit by players who man it, making it one of the strongest overall first base groups in the SEC.

1. Jac Caglianone 6-5 250 Jr
2. Tyler Shelnut 6-2 200 Sr
3. Luke Heyman 6-4 220 So
4. Brody Donay 6-5 235 So

As I'm writing this @gatordad's is literally the one right above this thread. It's titled 2024 Gator baseball. Once this post hits it will be 3-4 below you. No need having 2 baseball threads.

Don't know why the thread was not showing up for me ocala???

If they want to combine the threads it's fine with me,,, or not is just fine too....

2024 SEC Coaches Poll Voting (1st Place Votes)

Florida 88 - (11)

Arkansas - 87 (9)

LSU 82 (5)
Tenn - 75 (2)
VU - 73 (1)

aTm - 68
SCa - 50
UA - 47
AU - 46
UK - 44
UG - 36
Miss - 32
MsSt - 23
Mizz - 19
=====

All SEC 1st Teams:

UF = 4 -- 1B, 2B, SS, RP

Ark = 2 -- OF, SP
SCa = 2 -- C, OF
LSU = 1 -- 3B
aTm = 1 -- OF
AU = 1 -- DH/UTL
TN = 1 -- SP

Now, given the above votes, explain this BS to me....

SEC Champs - Ark (9) -- LSU (3) -- UF (2)
=====

2024 Gator Double Digit HR Hitters from 2023:

1B/LHP Caglianone 33 (preseason Golden Spikes List)

SS Shelton 25 (Bama Fr 3B xfer-In)
IF Kurland 17
C Heyman 12
Just missed
OF Evans 9
INF/OF Shelnut 7
-----
Sorry to see them go, but wishing the a good life:

(Wyatt Lankford 21 >> 1/4 MLB Pick to the TX Rangers)
(Josh Rivera 19 >> 3/81 MLB Pick to Chicago Cubs)
(BT Riopelle 19 >> Chose to enter the financial sector as a career, won't pursue MLB)
=====

The Gators look to me to maybe have the best infield in the SEC, and maybe in D1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicktheslick
Shortstop had become an area synonymous with just one name in Gainesville over the last several years: Josh Rivera. Rivera's value was him being one of the most consistent defensive shortstops in the nation and named a finalist for the Brooks Wallace Award, which recognizes the nation's best shortstop, as a result. So replacing Rivera, who was selected by the Chicago Cubs in the third round of last year's MLB Draft, will be a tall task.

As challenging as replacing Rivera could be, Florida appears to be as well-equipped to do it as possible thanks to excellent recruiting in both the NCAA transfer portal and at the high school level.

Here is an in-depth preview of Florida's shortstop group:
Say hello to Alabama xfer, Fr AA SS/3B Colby Shelton.
Plan B when needed -- FAU xfer SS/3B/OF Armando Albert.
Plus several Incoming HS Recruits:

SS/3B/1B John Martinez Fr (#249 by Perfect Game)
SS Sammy Mummau Fr (#312 by Perfect Game)

There are a few developmental other available..... See details at the link.

3B Colby Halter .243, 11 HR with 16 stolen bases, is now with the MLB Oakland Athletics.

The Gators have ample depth at the hot corner ahead of their 2024 campaign:

INF Dale Thomas 3B/SS/2B - 2023 Costal-Ca Xfer-In
INF Tyler Shelnut 3B/1B/LF- 2023 SFC Xfer-In
INF Armando Albert 3B/SS/2B - FAU Xfer-In
INF John Martinex Fr 3B/SS/1B
INF Colby Shelton SS/3B - Bama Xfer-In - Most likely SS to replace Rivera.

With links to other position group reviews - Catcher-1B-2B-SS

Florida rewarded head baseball coach Kevin O'Sullivan with a contract extension through 2033 as he enters his 17th season in charge of the Gators.

The Gators have not missed the NCAA postseason since O'Sullivan arrived in Gainesville ahead of the 2008 season. Before that point, Florida clinched playoff berths just 22 times since the 1947 inauguration of the annual NCAA Tournament.

O'Sullivan's previous contract was set to expire after the 2029 season. The new deal includes a raise of over $600,000 per year in total income on average, from $1,220,598 to $1,840,000, with a $1 million base salary.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...eball-kevin-osullivan-contract-extension-2033

Kevin O'Sullivan on Tuesday revealed his weekend starting pitching rotation for the 2024.

Though its rotation is, of course, subject to change as its season progresses, Florida will open the year with sophomore lefty Cade Fisher starting on Friday nights, true freshman righty Liam Peterson on Saturdays and junior two-way star Jac Caglianone on Sunday, reprising his role from the 2023 season when he helped guide the Gators to a regular-season SEC title and national runner-up finish in the College World Series.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...announces-florida-weekend-rotation-227124317/

Here's an article on UF's Pitch/Hit Cag....

Position:
Left-handed pitcher/First base/Designated hitter

2023 stats: .323 batting, 33 HR's, 90 RBI; 4.34 ERA, 1.42 WHIP, 10.5 K/9 innings. ----- Cag has thrown a 100 MPH fastball, and he's hit an exit speed 117 MPH HR.
😲

After an U-Glee 'Run Rule' loss to FSUcks on Tuesday....

Through a chuckle born purely from his frustration, O'Sullivan said his team's struggles were hardly unique to Tuesday's game. Ineffective pitching and the complete disappearance of Florida's bats have plagued it at times this year, especially during midweek contests.

"It's our approach," he said through a wry smile. "You really don't know what to expect. Honestly, everyone is feeling good about themselves (after weekend wins) so why do these things continue to happen? I don't know. You can't keep pointing fingers and there's no more motivational speeches to get ready for Tuesdays. We'll practice on Mondays and get after it. We'll make sure guys are ready to play."

There will be more outward-facing changes, too. Ones fans will see more plainly....

Last edited:
I'm just here to offer condolences (i.e., suck it!) to @gatorshime after last night's loss. I'm sure he's in his padded room recovering.
Hey, shime. Suck it again.

Fran Healy Nba GIF by Travis

Reactions: goldmom
Hey assholenole, I don't care about the twit shime, but there's this:

Information -- 5 of the last 6 Baseball NC's were won by 5 different SEC teams.
Some people over celebrate their season sweeps, while others just celebrate their NC's.
While checking on the history of Baseball NC's, I noticed that the FSUcks criminoles have ZERO....

Since the turn of the century (2000), these current SEC teams have won Baseball Natl. Championships:
(Runner-Ups) -- Tx & Ok are the just joining newbees.
In 7 of those MCWS Championships, it was 2 Current SEC teams playing each other for the title.

2000 - LSU - (Stanford)

2002 - TX - (Stanford)

2005 - TX - (UF)

2009 -
LSU - (TX)

2010 - SCa - (UCLA)

2011 - SCa - (UF)

2014 - VU - (VA)

2017 - UF - (LSU)

2019 - VU - (Mich)

2021 - MsSt - (VU)

2022 - Miss - (OK)

2023 - LSU (UF)

So in just the last 24 years, UF has played in 4 MCWS title games, and won 1.
While FSUcks has not won, a single baseball NC,,, EVER.....

With those facts in hand, I can see why it's such a big deal for 'little-sister' FSUcks to sweep a season series against a team that has, so enjoy yourself as much as possible with it....😎

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT