ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn's Wesley McGriff now Gators' CB Coach - Gators in discussions with Chris Ash & Charlie Strong ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can’t have him coming back to UF to be a DC from a place he was fired from. How many times has a head coach ever been fired to later return as a DC or OC? It just doesn’t happen. Current head coaches don’t want to do that either.

I knows it's apples and something that is not apples, but Billy Martin was fired 4 times as Yankees manager. Or was it 5?

Reactions: PacoGator19
Please no Chris ash! Rutgers fans can tell you just how bad he was
@Jeff from Jax, thanks for looking at his stats at TX as their DC, they are worst than Grantham and everyone wants grantham gone....and hire a guy who did worst?

Rutgers football message board is having a Chris ash discussion, it’s very creative, if you want a good laugh, go visit

Rutgers football message board is having a Chris ash discussion, it’s very creative, if you want a good laugh, go visit
I doubt UF is getting Ash because it would likely have to be as a DC but Ash is an excellent coach. I wish we could have gotten him on staff. He was #1 on my list if we got rid of Grantham. He’s a legit DC.

Reactions: gatordad3
Please no Chris ash, TX stats on defense this year were worst than grantham.....let that sink in, you are recommending a guy to replace grantham who had a worst year than grantham
Total yards per game, total points per game and passing yards per game all worst than grantham
You may want to check that again. None of that is true

Reactions: steven orr

You may want to check that again, some if it is true.

Florida was ranked 100th in passing yards per game (257.5) and Texas was ranked 108th (266.4).

Do some research before running your mouth.

Paco,

Gators under TG -
11 games404.7 yds/game28.6 pts/game
12 games ...........428 yds/game .................. ...........30.8 pts/game

Texas under Chris Ash
9games409.8 yds/game29.1 pts/game

Neither team shined on defense !

On a per game basis, Gators slightly better than Texas, in regular season & SECCG.
Gators slightly worse than Texas when you add Cotton Bowl -
OU - 684 yds total offense & 55 pts
https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/view/defense

E3PO

IMO, total yards/game & points/game are the most significant defensive indicators.

Not sure picking passing yards out of total yards is significant, but your call.

Last edited:
Please no Chris ash! Rutgers fans can tell you just how bad he was
@Jeff from Jax, thanks for looking at his stats at TX as their DC, they are worst than Grantham and everyone wants grantham gone....and hire a guy who did worst?
Texas had less yards per play defensively as well. In addition to that the Texas defense was better in 2020 than in 2019 so Ash was able to improve the Texas defense in just 1 year in a year where across the country defenses really struggled and of course Covid messing things up.

Reactions: steven orr
Paco,

Gators under TG -
11 games404.7 yds/game28.6 pts/game
12 games ...........428 yds/game .................. ...........30.8 pts/game

Texas under Chris Ash
9games409.8 yds/game29.1 pts/game

Neither team shined on defense, Gators slightly better than Texas, on a per game basis, in regular season & SECCG per ESPN
Gators worse than Texas when you add Cotton Bowl -
OU - 684 yds total offense & 55 pts
I was obviously looking at full season stats. Texas played 10 games and UF played 12 games. Texas yards per play was much lower as well. Texas was 27th in the country in yards per play. UF was 85th. This was Ash’s 1st year as a DC at Texas which makes it pretty impressive especially since he improved the Texas defense in his 1st year.

Ash would be a great hire X’s and O’s wise, teaching the secondary, and in recruiting.

With TG (age 54) being kept on as DC/OLB coach & Wesley McGriff being hired as CB coach, the only opening for a position coach seems to be at Safety.

Looking at Charlie Strong's (age 60) playing/coaching bio - after lettering for four years (1980–1983) as a defensive back at the University of Central Arkansas, he spent most of his time coaching LB & DL; never listed as coaching the Defensive Secondary - CB or Safety position.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Strong

By contrast, Chris Ash (age 47) spent all his time as a DB/S position coach.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Ash

With TG (age 54) being kept on as DC/OLB coach & Wesley McGriff being hired as CB coach, the only opening for a position coach seems to be at Safety.

Looking at Charlie Strong's (age 60) playing/coaching bio - after lettering for four years (1980–1983) as a defensive back at the University of Central Arkansas, he spent most of his time coaching LB & DL; never listed as coaching the Defensive Secondary - CB or Safety position.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Strong

By contrast, Chris Ash (age 47) spent all his time as a DB/S position coach.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Ash
Hiring Charlie Strong would give TG motivation to either get better or move along.

Judging DC/DL TG on just his 3rd season at UF, and in the 2020 CoV season,,,,
while totally ignoring:
2018 #9 D in the nation
2019 #7 D in the nation
is totally biased, selective memory BS.... 😏

The guys that play for Todd, and his boss, seem to agree with that. 🤓
But the 'Queen of Hearts' crowd rattles on anyway....

Facts matter, I went to espn team stats for 2020 season and looked at per game averages since teams have played a different numbers of games.
Yds/g: FL 404.7. TX 409.8, six spots lower
Passyds/g: FL 258.3 TX 274.2, fifteen spots lower
Points/g: FL 28.6. TX 29.1, one spot lower
I stand by the truth in what I said, sorry but the facts matter. As I also said neither team should be proud but for anyone calling for grantham to go and be replaced by ash is asking for a DC replacement whose defense performed worst. My original statement is supported by the facts and true.

Facts matter, I went to espn team stats for 2020 season and looked at per game averages since teams have played a different numbers of games.
Yds/g: FL 404.7. TX 409.8, six spots lower
Passyds/g: FL 258.3 TX 274.2, fifteen spots lower
Points/g: FL 28.6. TX 29.1, one spot lower
I stand by the truth in what I said, sorry but the facts matter. As I also said neither team should be proud but for anyone calling for grantham to go and be replaced by ash is asking for a DC replacement whose defense performed worst. My original statement is supported by the facts and true.
I don’t think your stats include all the games. This is the defensive stats that include UFs 12 games and Texas 10 games. You may want to check your stats again. Maybe the stats you are using downs include the bowl game. The Texas defense was substantially better in yards per play which at least IMO is a very important defensive stat.

So statistically Ash’s defense didn’t perform worse than Grantham’s and the yards per play for UTs defense was 27th in the country vs UFs at 85th in the country.

Also the Texas defense improved from 2019 to 2020. Unfortunately your statement is not true and not supported by facts.

The even more important statistic to me is how much the Texas defense improved from 2019 to 2020 considering no Spring practice & Covid and the offenses generally being a step ahead this year across the country. Ash is a top notch DC

Last edited:
I don’t think your stats include all the games. This is the defensive stats that include UFs 12 games and Texas 10 games. You may want to check your stats again. Maybe the stats you are using downs include the bowl game. The Texas defense was substantially better in yards per play which at least IMO is a very important defensive stat.

So statistically Ash’s defense didn’t perform worse than Grantham’s and the yards per play for UTs defense was 27th in the country vs UFs at 85th in the country.

Also the Texas defense improved from 2019 to 2020. Unfortunately your statement is not true and not supported by facts.

The even more important statistic to me is how much the Texas defense improved from 2019 to 2020 considering no Spring practice & Covid and the offenses generally being a step ahead this year across the country. Ash is a top notch DC
At any rate neither of them is setting the world on fire.

Reactions: Proud Gator

Funny, that you want to include the bowl game, should we include spring practices, how about madden? The point is neither has good stats but Ash is definitely not “a top notch DC”. 😭

Funny, that you want to include the bowl game, should we include spring practices, how about madden? The point is neither has good stats but Ash is definitely not “a top notch DC”. 😭
Well why wouldn’t you include a bowl game. The game counts doesn’t it.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
At any rate neither of them is setting the world on fire.
I suggest you take a look at the improvement the Texas defense made from 2019 to 2020.

Regardless Ash isn’t on the UF staff anyways. I would love to have him on staff though.

Last edited:
I suggest you take a look at the improvement the Texas defense made from 2019 to 2020.
Just did, here are the facts, same source, and the last time I checked 29 is higher than 28
2019 TX points/g. 28.9
2020 TX points/g. 29.1
They regressed under ash, from 2019 to 2020, sorry but this doesn’t support the narrative that you are pushing for uncle Chris, just like Rutgers regressed under his coaching

Just did, here are the facts, same source, and the last time I checked 29 is higher than 28
2019 TX points/g. 28.9
2020 TX points/g. 29.1
They regressed under ash, from 2019 to 2020, sorry but this doesn’t support the narrative that you are pushing for uncle Chris, just like Rutgers regressed under his coaching
Yards per game was lower this year and so was yard per play was lower this year.

With that being said offenses dominated college football this year so I would bet the majority of defenses this year gave up more points and yards than last year. In regards to national rankings against the rest of the country the Texas defense ranked higher nationally in total yards per game, points per game and yards per play this year vs last year. This year P5 teams like Texas and UF didn’t get to inflate their stats against the 2-3 cupcakes they play every year as well.
In fact the Texas defense was 27th nationally in yards per play this year. Last year the Texas defense was 98th. Massive improvement.

So with all those factors there was definitely massive improvement from 2019 to 2020 for the Texas defense.

Last edited:
Yards per game was lower this year and so was yard per play was lower this year.

With that being said offenses dominated college football this year so I would bet the majority of defenses this year gave up more points and yards than last year. In regards to national rankings against the rest of the country the Texas defense ranked higher nationally in total yards per game, points per game and yards per play this year vs last year. This year P5 teams like Texas and UF didn’t get to inflate their stats against the 2-3 cupcakes they play every year as well.
In fact the Texas defense was 27th nationally in yards per play this year. Last year the Texas defense was 98th. Massive improvement.

So with all those factors there was definitely massive improvement from 2019 to 2020 for the Texas defense.
“Massive improvement” for TX defense 😭😭😭😭😭, excuse me, they clearly regressed from 2019 to 2020, I admire your love for uncle Chris, yes love is blind, but back to my original point you are arguing for the guy with the 62nd ranked defense to replace the guy with the 61st ranked defense by saying he is a top notch DC and his defense had massive improvements, while ignoring the facts that show otherwise, you may love uncle Chris but he is not an upgrade if you look at the facts, the conversation is better served by discussing coaches that have a possibility of improving our coaching and recruiting and c ash is not, definitely not that person

“Massive improvement” for TX defense 😭😭😭😭😭, excuse me, they clearly regressed from 2019 to 2020, I admire your love for uncle Chris, yes love is blind, but back to my original point you are arguing for the guy with the 62nd ranked defense to replace the guy with the 61st ranked defense by saying he is a top notch DC and his defense had massive improvements, while ignoring the facts that show otherwise, you may love uncle Chris but he is not an upgrade if you look at the facts, the conversation is better served by discussing coaches that have a possibility of improving our coaching and recruiting and c ash is not, definitely not that person
The facts showed that the Texas defense did improve from 2019 to 2020. All this while being a 1st year DC for Texas with no spring practice, etc. That is pretty impressive IMO

Points per game - 65th to 61st - Improvement
Yards per game - 97th to 64th - Massive improvement
Yards per play - 85th to 27th - Massive improvement

You don’t like facts do you
2019=28 ppg
2020=29 ppg
Not “a massive improvement”, not even an improvement
Say hi to uncle Chris

You don’t like facts do you
2019=28 ppg
2020=29 ppg
Not “a massive improvement”, not even an improvement
Say hi to uncle Chris
I thought I already went over that with you? And why won’t you address the yards per game or the yards per play massive improvement?

Points per game - 65th to 61st - Improvement
Yards per game - 97th to 64th - Massive improvement
Yards per play - 85th to 27th - Massive improvement

I don’t know how else to spell it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT