ADVERTISEMENT

Alligator attacks on the rise in Florida...

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008

"An alligator attacked a 72-year-old Florida man Friday, biting off a part of his leg, state wildlife officials said.

The attack occurred around 1:50 p.m. at the Great Outdoors RV Resort in Titusville, Florida, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said in a news release."

"Terrifying video captures the moment a 10-foot-long alligator lunges at an 85-year-old woman in Florida — dragging her to her death as she tries to protect her dog from the beast.

The footage obtained by Inside Edition shows Gloria Serge standing with her leashed pooch Monday along a lake outside Spanish Lakes Fairways, a retirement community in Fort Pierce.

The alligator is seen surfacing nearby and approaching the octogenarian, who moves away from the 700-pound monster.

Serge, who desperately tried to protect her pet from its massive jaws, was dragged underwater and killed in the shocking attack."

The gator isn't 700 pounds but that is crazy she was killed that way. If she was younger she probably could have left sooner seeing the wave coming.

"Authorities said the body of a 2-year-old Florida boy was found Friday night in the mouth of an alligator."

Haven't heard yet if they determined the boy was already dead and fed to the alligator or if the crazy father threw him to an alligator alive.

"An alligator attacked a 72-year-old Florida man Friday, biting off a part of his leg, state wildlife officials said.

The attack occurred around 1:50 p.m. at the Great Outdoors RV Resort in Titusville, Florida, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said in a news release."

"Terrifying video captures the moment a 10-foot-long alligator lunges at an 85-year-old woman in Florida — dragging her to her death as she tries to protect her dog from the beast.

The footage obtained by Inside Edition shows Gloria Serge standing with her leashed pooch Monday along a lake outside Spanish Lakes Fairways, a retirement community in Fort Pierce.

The alligator is seen surfacing nearby and approaching the octogenarian, who moves away from the 700-pound monster.

Serge, who desperately tried to protect her pet from its massive jaws, was dragged underwater and killed in the shocking attack."

The gator isn't 700 pounds but that is crazy she was killed that way. If she was younger she probably could have left sooner seeing the wave coming.

"Authorities said the body of a 2-year-old Florida boy was found Friday night in the mouth of an alligator."

Haven't heard yet if they determined the boy was already dead and fed to the alligator or if the crazy father threw him to an alligator alive.
The little boy was already dead. They killed the gator anyways.

The little boy was already dead. They killed the gator anyways.

I figured he probably was but agree with killing the gator since he got the taste of a human. I also bet the 2 other incidents had gators that had been fed at some point by people. We are lucky gators aren't more like crocs in Africa and Australia that basically attack on site but if they were like that I think we would have made them extinct in Florida a long time ago.

I figured he probably was but agree with killing the gator since he got the taste of a human. I also bet the 2 other incidents had gators that had been fed at some point by people. We are lucky gators aren't more like crocs in Africa and Australia that basically attack on site but if they were like that I think we would have made them extinct in Florida a long time ago.
lol. we tried to make them extinct and now there's more of them than ever.

lol. we tried to make them extinct and now there's more of them than ever.

There are too many. I heard those licenses don't do much either now as there is no decent money to be made on them like years ago. You also have the issue of young people not just going out there and getting them like we did years ago before video was everywhere and most of the woods were open etc.

There are too many. I heard those licenses don't do much either now as there is no decent money to be made on them like years ago. You also have the issue of young people not just going out there and getting them like we did years ago before video was everywhere and most of the woods were open etc.
They are apex predators that not only are capable of living anywhere, they live places we can't go.

Not happening.

They are apex predators that not only are capable of living anywhere, they live places we can't go.

Not happening.

Disagree there. If they decided to become like those crocs overseas we would have them contained to remote areas in FL in a quickness and if we wanted to could fully take them out pretty easily.

Disagree there. If they decided to become like those crocs overseas we would have them contained to remote areas in FL in a quickness and if we wanted to could fully take them out pretty easily.
Watch what you're doing and stay the hell away from precarious situations and people will be fine. I don't believe it's a coincidence that alligator attacks have increased since so many out of staters (ie: Northerners) have made their way here. Look at the number of incidents that have occurred near retention ponds in some communities. Yankees make good gator food.

That's not how gators operate. If he's hungry and he thinks he can get away with it he's attacking whether hes tasted it before or not.
Gators do what gators do. As I said before watch your ass, be alert and stay away from the water's edge (especially with Fido on a leash) and you'll be fine. Dawn and late afternoon be especially careful. By the way cottonmouth moccasins aren't friendly critters as well. As a side note, even though I don't have the stats to back it up I'd wager WAY more folks are killed by dogs in Florida every year. Granted there are a ton more dogs in Florida than alligators. But.....

Gators do what gators do. As I said before watch your ass, be alert and stay away from the water's edge (especially with Fido on a leash) and you'll be fine. Dawn and late afternoon be especially careful. By the way cottonmouth moccasins aren't friendly critters as well. As a side note, even though I don't have the stats to back it up I'd wager WAY more folks are killed by dogs in Florida every year. Granted there are a ton more dogs in Florida than alligators. But.....
And yet some people feel compelled to go drunk swimming at midnight in lakes that are known to harbor critters. I was playing golf an eon ago and watched a gator come out of a golf course sand trap and drag a red Irish setter back into the lake. :oops:

Reactions: goldmom
That's not how gators operate. If he's hungry and he thinks he can get away with it he's attacking whether hes tasted it before or not.

Nonsense - exclusive of starving. Most gator attacks on humans they find out a human fed the gator before. Its those crocs in other countries that basically have no issue attacking a human like anything else. I swam in many places that had 10 foot gators when I was younger and never had an issue with them. They are more like a shark when it comes to attacking humans and avoid it usually. Dogs on the other hand they seem to treat like a normal food source if they get the chance to grab one.

Nonsense. Most Gator attacks on humans they find out a human fed the Gator before. Its those crocs in other countries that basically have no issue attacking a human like anything else. I swam in many places that had 10 foot gators when I was younger and never had an issue with them. They are more like a shark when it comes to attacking humans and avoid it usually. Dogs on the other hand they seem to treat like a normal food source if they get the chance to grab one.
Here we go again. Gators not fearing people is why they get close enough to attack.

I've been swimming in gator infested waters the color of tea my whole life too.

And yet some people feel compelled to go drunk swimming at midnight in lakes that are known to harbor critters. I was playing golf an eon ago and watched a gator come out of a golf course sand trap and drag a red Irish setter back into the lake. :oops:

I had a buddy from Connecticut who thought it was a good idea to catch a baby and hold it while he grunted. He figured out that it was a bad idea before he lost a limb.

• Haha
Reactions: EvilWayz
Here we go again. Gators not fearing people is why they get close enough to attack.

Avoiding - whatever term you want to use. The bottom line is unlike many species of crocs they hardly ever attack a person unless there was a history of someone feeding the thing.

Reactions: NavigatorII

Gators are somewhat like bears though. When idiots feed them, they lose their fear of man. I know that seems unlikely, but even a lizard can be conditioned that way. There was a swamp behind a gas station where a big one lived. They named him Frank. Some guys I knew could clap their hand together and yell FRANK! The gator would come out and lay on the bank waiting for a handout

Avoiding - whatever term you want to use. The bottom line is unlike many species of crocs they hardly ever attack a person unless there was a history of someone feeding the thing.
And that is not the same as acquiring a taste. Which isn't a thing either. Mammalian predators become man eaters because they are old and people are easy to catch. Reptiles don't have that complicated a brain structure.

And that is not the same as acquiring a taste. Which isn't a thing either. Mammalian predators become man eaters because they are old and people are easy to catch. Reptiles don't have that complicated a brain structure.

The bad attacks we get on humans in FL would be way less if people didn't feed them. The wildlife officers usually find out after most of these attacks someone was throwing chicken to them or something like that for a while. Just saying unlike some crocs we aren't on the menu normally. Kind of like we aren't with sharks usually either but with large African crocs or Australian ones they will literally hunt you right when you hit that water or ambush you at the bank.

The bad attacks we get on humans in FL would be way less if people didn't feed them. The wildlife officers usually find out after most of these attacks someone was throwing chicken to them or something like that for a while. Just saying unlike some crocs we aren't on the menu normally. Kind of like we aren't with sharks usually either but with large African crocs or Australian ones they will literally hunt you right when you hit that water or ambush you at the bank.
Frank's favorite was a whole chicken. 😂

Gators are somewhat like bears though. When idiots feed them, they lose their fear of man. I know that seems unlikely, but even a lizard can be conditioned that way. There was a swamp behind a gas station where a big one lived. They named him Frank. Some guys I knew could clap their hand together and yell FRANK! The gator would come out and lay on the bank waiting for a handout
You should see what happens when I explain to herp owners that their snakes don't like them they just like the food.

You should see what happens when I explain to herp owners that their snakes don't like them they just like the food.
I'm not a fan of any snakes period. It's just not my thing. :mad:
thulsadoom-conan-the-barbarian.gif

• Haha
Reactions: blubo and nail1988
While were are talking about predators, how do we feel about sharks? I was at the marina getting bait this weekend and 3 guys were weighing a bull shark. Guess where it was caught? In 3 feet of water where the weekenders party in the river on the sandbar. 😂 I snapped a photo and posted it on the community Facebook webpage with location of catch. The local chamber of commerce is not happy with me now. 😂😂

7my2ac.jpg

While were are talking about predators, how do we feel about sharks? I was at the marina getting bait this weekend and 3 guys were weighing a bull shark. Guess where it was caught? In 3 feet of water where the weekenders party in the river on the sandbar. 😂 I snapped a photo and posted it on the community Facebook webpage with location of catch. The local chamber of commerce is not happy with me now. 😂😂

7my2ac.jpg

Yep those things are all over the river especially at night time. Years ago snook fishing I had a big one grab my fish right at the boat. The damn thing bit it in half right in front of my face.

Yep those things are all over the river especially at night time. Years ago snook fishing I had a big one grab my fish right at the boat. The damn thing bit it in half right in front of my face.

Had the same thing happen while I was kayak fishing the flats MANY years ago. I'm proud to state that somehow I didn't poop in my kayak.

My buddy was wade fishing that same area a few months later and a 8' hammerhead took the fish off his stringer. Yes, he's an idiot.

Had the same thing happen while I was kayak fishing the flats MANY years ago. I'm proud to state that somehow I didn't poop in my kayak.

My buddy was wade fishing that same area a few months later and a 8' hammerhead took the fish off his stringer. Yes, he's an idiot.

Never saw a hammerhead in that area here but when I used to do a lot of offshore trolling off fort pierce for dolphin many times they would be hanging out in the area hoping for an easy meal.

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaFan1137
100 million sharks are killed annually.

They keep coming. 😎
If you treat them properly after catching and then clean without bursting their spleen and urine sack, they are good AF properly steaked and grilled. Blacktips are a delicacy.

Living directly on the water for 60 years, I can tell you there are TONS of sharks in inland waters. People would poop their pants if they knew how many. And for some reason this year, we are seeing fish that we have never seen in our bayou's. Pompano, snook, tarpon, permit, as well as Manatee's. NWF used to never see manatees...now they are all over. Water is clearer now than anytime in my life. Have not figured out why. Could be people cleaning their years better, fertilizer changes...etc

Living directly on the water for 60 years, I can tell you there are TONS of sharks in inland waters. People would poop their pants if they knew how many. And for some reason this year, we are seeing fish that we have never seen in our bayou's. Pompano, snook, tarpon, permit, as well as Manatee's. NWF used to never see manatees...now they are all over. Water is clearer now than anytime in my life. Have not figured out why. Could be people cleaning their years better, fertilizer changes...etc
You live out in the panhandle don't you? The water out there has always been gin clear. Here in the Big Bend estuary, our water color has always and will always be like weak coffee because of the tannin stain from the river. The fish don't care, but it makes it hell to sight fish here.

You live out in the panhandle don't you? The water out there has always been gin clear. Here in the Big Bend estuary, our water color has always and will always be like weak coffee because of the tannin stain from the river. The fish don't care, but it makes it hell to sight fish here.
Not in the bayous and sound. Yes, the gulf is incredible...but our bayous used to have about 5 ft visibility You can easily see 10-12 ft now. And sometime it helps to have dirty water fishing....hies the presentation rigging! LOL I am sure you know plenty about fishing!

And yes...we are spoiled. Our Bayou water does not get the river water, and as much tannins as most area's. If they would ever open up Navarre pass, it would clear it out quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT