ADVERTISEMENT

Football A New Way Forward...

Mt.DoraGator

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
Sep 29, 2013
One thing everyone should agree on right now is CFB is in a huge mess. The conditions that existed when Napier was hired have completely flipped (NIL and portal) traditional ways of building a football program. Napier and UF decided on old school recruiting and developing with trying to fill holes with the portal as opposed to "season long rentals of players". But just as quickly as NIL and portal hit, regulation will probably happen just as fast. None of the "powers that be" seem to be happy. I predict in a few years the Nil will have a salary cap and there will be significant penalties for a player that attempts his second transfer. (At minimum I think he would need to lay out a year and that would stop those re-transfers significantly.
So what is the process to build a football team after that? No one knows but I am guessing it go back to the traditional power programs recruit, develop their players and fill holes with the portal. and I'm sure there will be more bag dropping if the NIL adopts a salary cap. But isn't that what CFB has been doing all along, even today?
With college football in such a disarray I think this would be a terrible time to fire Napier, I don't care what his W-L records are at this point. He has recruited an awesome amount of offensive playmakers and to me the number one priority is to keep this talent in Gainesville. Changing everything will most probably mean another rebuild from scratch.
My suggestion is to fix the defense first. And my suggestion for DC is someone I bet most of you have never heard of: Jimmy Rogers HC at South Dakota State University. After you quit laughing, research him:
He became the DC at SDSU in 2022 and SDSU won the FCS National Championship (14-1)
He was named HC at SDSU in 2023 and once again SDSU won the FCS National Championship and he was named National Coach of the year. (15-0)
But you may say, "look at that crappy conference" Well the Missouri Valley Conference of which SDSU belongs is probably tougher than The Great Plains Conference where DeBoer cut his teeth.
When things seem to be a disaster don't blow up the building, again. That has been tried and how did that work out? Try to fix the biggest problem first, DEFENSE. Why not give Rogers a shot? Getting him out of South Dakota may be the toughest part, he was at FAU a while and went back home. However he is only making $300k per year, offer him $2 million (most likely life changing money for him) and give him the keys to the defense. Could it be any worse?
Let Napier continue the offense, if the defense can get the opposition off the field without leaving the Gators in a hole his offense may look a whole lot better. If not, he must hire an OC that is calling plays. But all of this can work...in theory. If anyone has a better theory than hiring the most expensive HC we can afford that will come here (retreads?)....I am all ears.
If that doesn't work and Rogers is doing well on D, he has proven he can go from DC to HC without missing a step.
Out of the box thinking. Now rip me apart!:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.