ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Gator baseball

Stetson spanked our rump tonight. Didn't they beat us last year too?
No, we didn't play Stetson last year. We only lost 2 midweek games last year. 10-9 to USF when we gave up 7 runs in the 9th inning at home and 10-8 to Jacksonville when we gave up 6 runs in the 7th at home.

Bats were a little underwhelming and the true freshman pitcher got shelled. This weekend vs Miami is the first real test.

No, we didn't play Stetson last year. We only lost 2 midweek games last year. 10-9 to USF when we gave up 7 runs in the 9th inning at home and 10-8 to Jacksonville when we gave up 6 runs in the 7th at home.
That's right, it was JU I was thinking of.

Good opening night win on the road against the canes. Fisher was better, but still struggled some and didn't make it out of the 5th. We got 10 hits, but top 2 in lineup accounted for 6 of those. Need to get some production out of the other guys. The bullpen was lights out. 4 1/3 innings of shut out baseball.

Last edited:
We needed cags to go ona kill crazy rampage and send the canes straight back to hell and that’s exactly what he did. Great road series win.

Reactions: gatordad3
Due to bad weather, Tuesday's home game vs. FAU moved to April 30. Next game is home vs. UCF on Wednesday on SEC+ at 6 pm.

Reactions: Countygator1
UCF off to a pretty good start. They’ve got a win at Miami and have beaten up the other Florida directional schools pretty good. Their RPI is actually a spot ahead of the Gators. McNeallie on the mound again after a tough start last week. Interesting to see how the freshman responds.

UCF off to a pretty good start. They’ve got a win at Miami and have beaten up the other Florida directional schools pretty good. Their RPI is actually a spot ahead of the Gators. McNeallie on the mound again after a tough start last week. Interesting to see how the freshman responds.
And a portal player they got from the Gators' roster last year, Matt Prevesk, is leading their team in hitting.

Reactions: bradleygator
Couple of these freshman relievers better figure things out or we’re going to have zero pitching depth. Looked like tonight they were trying to throw strikes but just getting knocked around.

Couple of these freshman relievers better figure things out or we’re going to have zero pitching depth. Looked like tonight they were trying to throw strikes but just getting knocked around.
1st innings have been killers for this team. But these mid week games are meaningless.

1st innings have been killers for this team. But these mid week games are meaningless.
I agree they’re generally meaningless, but you don’t want to lose too many of them. But my main concern is some of these guys, like Philpott, are guys we’d like to get some innings from on the weekends. They’re supposed to be gaining some confidence and experience midweek. If they can’t get outs midweek, going to be tough to trust them in SEC play.

Freshman pitchers just aren;t getting it done. We lost 2 midweek games all of last year and lost our second midweek game tonight.
This time last year we were 9-3 with mid week losses to JU and South Florida. Only difference this year is opening day loss to St Johns. We shall see how it plays out.

This time last year we were 9-3 with mid week losses to JU and South Florida. Only difference this year is opening day loss to St Johns. We shall see how it plays out.
If you've watched the games this year, they are not playing well and overall not pitching well. Team ERA of 5.19 and starters getting chased early, stressing the bullpen. Midweek games are NOT meaningless. They build the resume for national rankings and seeding in the NCAA tournament, plus build depth in the pitching staff and off the bench for the post season. We're relying a lot this year on highly touted freshman arms who performed extremely well in the fall in in pre-season camp, but have not come through once the season started - at least so far. Even our AA closer, Brandon Neely, has been roughed up a couple of times. And we miss the leadership and clutch hitting of Langford, Riopelle, Rivera & Halter, plus the consistent Friday & Saturday starts from Sproat & Waldrep. It's early, for sure, and we'll see how it plays out, but last year after the 2 early midweek losses you mentioned, they won them all from then on. There is room for concern and O'Sullivan talked about it last night in his post-game press conference.

At this point I feel pretty good about our lineup. Think we need a couple bats to be consistent outside of Cags, Shelton, Heyman and Kurland who need to be givens. Last night we had 11 Ks and 4 walks, 6 hits, so seemed like an all or nothing approach at the plate. If we work counts and get pitches to hit, we’ll drive the ball all over the yard.

We are playing great defense. 2 errors all year I believe. Robertson and Evans are plus plus in the outfield, Shelton hasn’t hurt us at SS and the kid and second base looks real nice with the glove. Cags is pretty good at first too.

Starting pitching looks about like a B- so far. Fisher looks like he’ll be ok on Friday and he has some upside. If Cags keeps throwing like he did at Miami, then Sunday starting pitching will be a huge advantage for us just about every week. Peterson has looked dodgy on Saturdays but he’s got plenty of upside as well and you feel like if he throws strikes, he’ll be ok.

Back end of the bullpen is about as good as it gets. who knows if Slater or Neely eventually have to start on Saturdays.

It’s the rest of the bullpen that is kind of up in the air and I think what will determine if we end up a national seed at the end of SEC play. The talent is obvious. Ton of strikeouts. But we have given up a ton of walks and runs in those middle and late innings.

On a side note, just read where Mike Zunino is retiring after 11 years in MLB. Great career for a great Gator.
Zunino was one of those headliners right at the start of the current Gators run. Think he was a top 5 mlb pick? Now we’ve got one or two every year it seems like.

Reactions: GatorGray
If you've watched the games this year, they are not playing well and overall not pitching well. Team ERA of 5.19 and starters getting chased early, stressing the bullpen. Midweek games are NOT meaningless. They build the resume for national rankings and seeding in the NCAA tournament, plus build depth in the pitching staff and off the bench for the post season. We're relying a lot this year on highly touted freshman arms who performed extremely well in the fall in in pre-season camp, but have not come through once the season started - at least so far. Even our AA closer, Brandon Neely, has been roughed up a couple of times. And we miss the leadership and clutch hitting of Langford, Riopelle, Rivera & Halter, plus the consistent Friday & Saturday starts from Sproat & Waldrep. It's early, for sure, and we'll see how it plays out, but last year after the 2 early midweek losses you mentioned, they won them all from then on. There is room for concern and O'Sullivan talked about it last night in his post-game press conference.
When I say they are meaningless, they are from a standpoint that what you do in the best baseball conference is way more important. Go 19-11 in league play and I promise Gators will be hosting a regional regardless of mid week game results. Sully should be concerned, just like he was concerned early last year. My wild ass guess is he will tweak the pitching, like he's done in the past. I don't think this team is as good as last year, but last year's team was one line shot snagged by LSU CF from being national champs. Hard to duplicate every year. Again, long season and maybe we will blow chunks, I just know that hitting the panic button 12 games in is silly. Now get another 15 games under our belts, we will really know what we have here.

When I say they are meaningless, they are from a standpoint that what you do in the best baseball conference is way more important. Go 19-11 in league play and I promise Gators will be hosting a regional regardless of mid week game results. Sully should be concerned, just like he was concerned early last year. My wild ass guess is he will tweak the pitching, like he's done in the past. I don't think this team is as good as last year, but last year's team was one line shot snagged by LSU CF from being national champs. Hard to duplicate every year. Again, long season and maybe we will blow chunks, I just know that hitting the panic button 12 games in is silly. Now get another 15 games under our belts, we will really know what we have here.
No one's hitting the panic button. There's no one else I'd rather have coaching our baseball team than Kevin O'Sullivan. He knows what he's doing and brings in big time players every year. Sometimes the team gels and delivers better than others, but we are an elite program and will be as long as he's in Gainesville. Things have not started out the way he and the other coaches/players thought they would, especially on the mound. Kevin O'Sullivan said yesterday that our starting pitching has not been good so far and must improve if we're going to be as good as we thought. Pre-season ranked #4 may be a little high. We'll see.
That said, the goal is not to just host a regional, but a super regional as well, which means being a Top 8 seed. You need to win a high percentage of midweek games, especially considering that Florida's midweek games are mostly against very good in-state opponents, to get the RPI ranking to be in the Top 8. On offense, we have 97 strikeouts against pretty average pitching in 12 games. Some guys have not yet hit at the level they did last year and some of the new guys in the lineup have really struggled. Two exceptions - Michael Robertson is hitting it better and Jac Cags has looked better at the plate and on the mound. The schedule gets brutal after this weekend and we'll see within the next few weeks what we really have. There is no choice but to rely on several freshmen pitchers for quality innings and the veterans/transfers have to step up and replace the big time players we lost. Always love watching Gator baseball and softball - both high quality programs.

Yeah I think when it comes to baseball comments here are just observation, not criticism. I was just listening to the D1 baseball podcast (excellent as is the SEC focused podcast) and they were talking about how sully has been to 8 CWS in 15 years or whatever it is, which is completely absurd. There are great coaches in NCAAB that go to Omaha a couple times in a career. So nobody is second guessing Sully. Nobody here is qualified.

No one's hitting the panic button. There's no one else I'd rather have coaching our baseball team than Kevin O'Sullivan. He knows what he's doing and brings in big time players every year. Sometimes the team gels and delivers better than others, but we are an elite program and will be as long as he's in Gainesville. Things have not started out the way he and the other coaches/players thought they would, especially on the mound. Kevin O'Sullivan said yesterday that our starting pitching has not been good so far and must improve if we're going to be as good as we thought. Pre-season ranked #4 may be a little high. We'll see.
That said, the goal is not to just host a regional, but a super regional as well, which means being a Top 8 seed. You need to win a high percentage of midweek games, especially considering that Florida's midweek games are mostly against very good in-state opponents, to get the RPI ranking to be in the Top 8. On offense, we have 97 strikeouts against pretty average pitching in 12 games. Some guys have not yet hit at the level they did last year and some of the new guys in the lineup have really struggled. Two exceptions - Michael Robertson is hitting it better and Jac Cags has looked better at the plate and on the mound. The schedule gets brutal after this weekend and we'll see within the next few weeks what we really have. There is no choice but to rely on several freshmen pitchers for quality innings and the veterans/transfers have to step up and replace the big time players we lost. Always love watching Gator baseball and softball - both high quality programs.
Yep, makes sense.

Yeah I think when it comes to baseball comments here are just observation, not criticism. I was just listening to the D1 baseball podcast (excellent as is the SEC focused podcast) and they were talking about how sully has been to 8 CWS in 15 years or whatever it is, which is completely absurd. There are great coaches in NCAAB that go to Omaha a couple times in a career. So nobody is second guessing Sully. Nobody here is qualified.

I think my posting history on various message boards along with my storied career as a girl's rec league softball coach make me more than qualified, thank you very much.

I think my posting history on various message boards along with my storied career as a girl's rec league softball coach make me more than qualified, thank you very much.
You don't have to remind me of your posting history. You had the dumbasses at Warchant fooled, at least for a while anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: GatorGray
baseball’s pretty easy.

a99fe078-9371-4db4-b7e2-74190c414ecf_text.gif

Unreal win tonight. Pitching continues to be very spotty. But the lineup comes through. Shelton has been the best player in college baseball so far this year.

I know I made a whole big deal about not second guessing sully but I’m going to walk that back for a second. Every presser he goes out there and bitches about his pitchers get in too many fastball counts. Then last night up 4 freaking runs in the 8th inning and the no 8 hitter up we start out with two breaking balls outside 2-0. Guy then smokes a fastball and sully goes out and bitches at philpot and pulls him but what’s with those pitches? Then we hit the 9 hole hitter, which is like our specialty and it’s off to the races. We do it every game. Same thing as last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT