ADVERTISEMENT

2022 OL numbers

Gator-B

Dec 1, 2021
Tallahassee
Attrition Spring/Summer
As of now, there are 17 names to talk about. Technically 16 as Griffin McDowell was moved to DL last year but has ONLY played special teams the last 2 years. Being a previous OL I included him, but having zero OL reps in two years and being a Redshirt Senior may mean he wants to finish his career elsewhere for 1-2 years. I also think there may be a situation where Riley Simonds moves on as well. 2021 was his 3rd year at UF and he only played 10 games primarily in a special teams role. Griff was a transition class guy and Simonds was a Hevesy guy in the following class. Will Harrod, from what I can tell, only played in 5 games last year and 2022 would be his 4th year at UF and I'm sure he's not going to start and not sure that he is going to end up in that top 8ish guys that most coaches want and can rely on. Bringing in guys like Torrence and Waites wont get Griff, Simonds, and Harrod many more snaps that they already struggled to get, although you never know with a new staff.

Attrition Post 2022 season
In my opinion, we should lose (barring injury or Covid year elections) Gouraige and White who are both seniors and have shown enough to warrant NFL interest, and Torrence in my mind is coming to UF with the idea of being a 1-and-done to the NFL. There are two walk-ons, Kaleb Boateng and Mark Pitts, that they may decide to give scholarships to, but I think the earliest they can do that and avoid taking a hit on a counter would be August 1 2022 for Pitts and summer 2023 for Boateng.

Our plan moving forward?
That would leave us with 11 as the number to build on for 2023. As far as I can tell, Napier kept 20-22 OL on his Louisiana roster last season. Lets just assume that number at UF will likely be 18-ish as an average. That means a few things...hitting the portal for a multi year OL in the next 90 days to help this season and next, and/or hitting the portal again, taking a good number of OL (5-6?) in this next (2023) class.

Ideas?
There are less than 90 days for guys to formally hit the portal and play this season. Currently there are 5 uncommitted total in the portal. Quality is scarce, hopefully post spring camps get busy with OL hitting the portal. Three year SEC starter Tyler Steen (Link) is still in the portal and is the best quality guy, his younger brother Blake signed with UVA Wednesday, so no package deal there, that may actually work in our favor to save using a scholarship there. If Auburn fires Harsin, we were in Easton Harris' final 2 on ESD, but he'd have to hit the portal or we use back channels to encourage him to, before making a run at him. Garner Langlo could be tired of that hunting cabin he's got access to near Auburn, i dunno, lol.

These 17 we have to work with as of now, shown below averages 6-5 and 316lbs.

Richard Gouraige6-5312R-Sr.
Griffin McDowell6-4297R-Sr.
Ethan White6-5319Sr.
O'Cyrus Torrence6-5335Jr.
Riley Simonds6-3303R-Jr.
Kingsley Eguakun6-4303R-Jr.
Michael Tarquin6-5302R-Jr.
Will Harrod6-5325R-Jr.
Josh Braun6-6342Jr.
Richie Leonard6-2310R-So.
Austin Barber6-6312R-Fr.
Jake Slaughter6-5303R-Fr.
Yousef Mugharbil6-4318R-Fr.
Kamryn Waites6-8370R-Fr.
David Conner6-6270Fr.
Christian Williams6-4320Fr.
Jalen Farmer6-5325Fr.

All that being said...the last 7 of these 2023 OL are in the state of Florida in some UF friendly areas, and technically Shanahan just moved to Texas from the Orlando area, so call it 8. 8 of the 9 are inside the top 550 composite, which is both a relief and kind of impressive since it is so early. Perfect storm for UF to get a kid from every corner of the state and all of them end up inside the top 500...a welcomed change from Hev's struggles.
  1. TJ Shanahan (Austin, TX)
  2. Miles McVay (St Louis, MO)
  3. Peyton Kirkland - Orlando Dr. P
  4. Clay Wedin - Tampa Carrolwood Day
  5. Knijeah Harris - Port Saint Lucie (Cheney's school, Centennial), now at IMG (Kamari connection x2?).
  6. Roderick Kearney - Jacksonville Orange Park
  7. Tommy Kinsler - Ocala
  8. Bryce Lovett - Rockledge/Cocoa
  9. Gernorris Wilson - Lakeland

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News