ADVERTISEMENT

Too soon to talk football? [predict the season(s)]

A 12-1 FSU could certainly make it into the playoffs. Love how you guys take a sample size of 1 and extrapolate future trends from it.
"Could" is not much more confident than "probably won't"

I say "probably won't"

You say "could"

Are you Damning your own team (and conference)by faint praise?

I think FSU fans need to worry a little more about winning the ACC this year and less about rival fans opinions on 1-loss hypotheticals.

ECU will win against UF in the Swamp this year. ECU should have won the bowl game but couldn't.

"Could" is not much more confident than "probably won't"

I say "probably won't"

You say "could"

Are you Damning your own team (and conference)by faint praise?

OK, IF FSU goes 12-1 I say there's a 90% chance they get into the playoff. Happy?

OK, IF FSU goes 12-1 I say there's a 90% chance they get into the playoff. Happy?
You have no way of knowing. It all depends on what other teams do this season. I would say they wouldn't get in over a 1 loss Ohio State, Alabama or Oregon team this coming year. In fact FSU with 1 loss wouldn't get in over any 1 loss team from the SEC or Pac-10 due to the strength of those 2 conferences. I would say if FSU finishes 12-1 there best shot is probably that #4 seed. That isn't 90% chance.

Didn't FSU go undefeated this past year and only got a #3 seed?

See what I said about a 1 year trend. FSU's seeding was based on the tight games we had all season, not the schedule. It means nothing going forward no matter how much you wish it to be so. Seeing how the SEC west collapsed during the postseason maybe they're the ones that should be sweating. Right?

See what I said about a 1 year trend. FSU's seeding was based on the tight games we had all season, not the schedule. It means nothing going forward no matter how much you wish it to be so. Seeing how the SEC west collapsed during the postseason maybe they're the ones that should be sweating. Right?
Disagree. FSUs schedule did have something to do with their #3 seed along with their tight games. Not sure how you can say otherwise. They had too many tight games and not a very strong schedule put them at #3 and that was going undefeated. FSU isn't likely going to have a strong schedule this year and if they lose a game that is certainly worse than going undefeated.

Not sure why the SEC would be sweating. The best game of the 3 playoff games was Bama vs Ohio State. Those were the best 2 teams in the country this past year.

You have no way of knowing. It all depends on what other teams do this season. I would say they wouldn't get in over a 1 loss Ohio State, Alabama or Oregon team this coming year. In fact FSU with 1 loss wouldn't get in over any 1 loss team from the SEC or Pac-10 due to the strength of those 2 conferences. I would say if FSU finishes 12-1 there best shot is probably that #4 seed. That isn't 90% chance.

The other problem is when does that loss come and to whom? FSU's schedule is likely not strong enough this year to lose a game and still look like a top four team.

-If they lose to Clemson, Clemson probably wins their division in the ACC. End of chances as FSU would not go if they don't make the ACCCG.

-If they lose in the ACCCG, they wouldn't go with a loss on the last weekend.

-If they lose to Texas State, USF or Chattanooga - losing to any of those teams would automatically kill their chances. Same with BC, WF, NCST and Syracuse as each will have at least four losses, most likely even or losing records.

That leaves GT, UL, UM and UF. Which of those four are going to be a two loss or better team?

-If its Louisville, they probably win the ACCA over FSU, so that is moot like a loss to Clemson.

-Miami? Nobody expects Miami to lose two or fewer, so a loss to UM at home would look too bad.

-UF? Few people expect UF to lose two or fewer. A loss to anything but a 0 to 2 loss UF team that late in the season ends their chances. Even if UF had that good of a record, it would still be questionable if they get in because they would likely have lost to the best team on their schedule and would have one or fewer wins against a quality team(Clemson or UL).

So this essentially leaves GT. If FSU won every game except against GT, and then beat GT in the ACCCG, then they might get there. That's about the only realistic scenario where a one loss FSU makes the playoff. But even then, it would depend on what teams in other conferences finish.

To sum it up - if FSU loses to any team other than another playoff contender, they will almost assuredly never get into the playoff with one loss(not just this year, any year). Even if the loss comes to such a team, it is still not guaranteed considering they probably lost to the best team on their weak schedule and/or in the last two weekends. And this pretty much goes for any team in the ACC as long as the conference is seen as the 4th or 5th best conference year in/out.

But most likely, a depleted FSU squad missing the best QB in their history, missing the best TE in their history, missing the best OL they have had in a decade and returning a questionable defense loses three to four regular season games. Its silly arguing about "what happens if FSU goes 12-1?" when its highly improbable that occurs, but what the hey, its funny watching them feign offense that someone thinks a 12-1 FSU team wouldn't make the playoff.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
[QUOTE="Buddy Green, post: 276567, member: 8868"
To sum it up - if FSU loses to any team other than another playoff contender, they will almost assuredly never get into the playoff with one loss(not just this year, any year).[/QUOTE]

Nonsense. We just saw this scenario happen THIS YEAR. The Big 10 has been hammered as much if not more than the ACC for being "weak", yet Ohio State got in with a bad loss to VT.

Seriously you guys have ACC derangement syndrome.

Yet you seem to think that FSU, who struggled last year with a first round draft pick at QB, will somehow not struggle this year. Even though they lose most of their offensive line, their best WR and their best TE.

My goodness. The delusion of FSU fans is striking.

[QUOTE="Buddy Green, post: 276567, member: 8868"
To sum it up - if FSU loses to any team other than another playoff contender, they will almost assuredly never get into the playoff with one loss(not just this year, any year).

Nonsense. We just saw this scenario happen THIS YEAR. The Big 10 has been hammered as much if not more than the ACC for being "weak", yet Ohio State got in with a bad loss to VT.

Seriously you guys have ACC derangement syndrome.[/QUOTE]

Look FSU was the #3 seed and that was going undefeated against an ACC schedule. How does going 12-1 give you a 90% chance of getting into the playoff based on what happened last year when FSUs schedule will virtually be similar?

Ohio State got in for a few reasons. They got in as the #4 seed mind you.

#1) They got in as the #4 seed and their competition for that #4 seed was TCU. We all know why they got in over TCU. They are Ohio State and they play in a conference that has a lot of tradition
#2) The bad loss was early in the year. They obviously improved a lot since that earlier season loss
#3) They were blowing everybody out and blew out Wisconsin in their conference champ game
#4) Urban Meyer, Urban Meyer, Urban Meyer - besides Nick Saban nobody in college football carries as much clout as him.

Seriously you guys have ACC derangement syndrome.

Look FSU was the #3 seed and that was going undefeated against an ACC schedule. How does going 12-1 give you a 90% chance of getting into the playoff based on what happened last year when FSUs schedule will virtually be similar?

#1) They got in as the #4 seed and their competition for that #4 seed was TCU. We all know why they got in over TCU. They are Ohio State and they play in a conference that has a lot of tradition
#2) The bad loss was early in the year. They obviously improved a lot since that earlier season loss
#3) They were blowing everybody out and blew out Wisconsin in their conference champ game
#4) Urban Meyer, Urban Meyer, Urban Meyer - besides Nick Saban nobody in college football carries as much clout as him.[/QUOTE]

So what would FSU's seed have been in 2013 then?

Didn't FSU go undefeated this past year and only got a #3 seed?

That had much more to do with their sub-par performance on the field, than the actual record. We came from behind in 1/2 our games and squeaked by ND on a penalty. Had FSU boat raced all its opponents like it did in 2013, we'd have been a #1 seed.

Heck, the only reason we got in was because we were undefeated (and understandably so).

#4) Urban Meyer, Urban Meyer, Urban Meyer - besides Nick Saban nobody in college football carries as much clout as him.

So what would FSU's seed have been in 2013 then?[/QUOTE] I think they probably would have been a #2 seed.

The other problem is when does that loss come and to whom? FSU's schedule is likely not strong enough this year to lose a game and still look like a top four team.

-If they lose to Clemson, Clemson probably wins their division in the ACC. End of chances as FSU would not go if they don't make the ACCCG.

Clemson plays @Louisville, Georgia Tech, @Miami, and @NC State. They could certainly lose 2 ACC games this year.

Clemson plays @Louisville, Georgia Tech, @Miami, and @NC State. They could certainly lose 2 ACC games this year.
I actually agree. With Dabo Swinney as their head coach and no more Chad Morris I want to see how Clemson performs.

Yep. That is why I opine that no one loss ACC team will be invited. This of course assumes that ACC team will be FSU and will have some similar struggles

Why does it have to be because they are an "ACC team?" Shouldn't the over-all schedule be looked at? David Pollack (eSECpn) even stated, "You've gotta give FSU credit for trying to put together one of the toughest schedule's in the nation."

We scheduled Ok St, scUM, Clemson, ND, Louisville, & UF. It's certainly not FSU's fault some of those teams were down.

What if a one-loss ACC team played a tough Missouri, UCLA and say Baylor on their schedule and their one loss was to UCLA? Do they not get an invite simply because they're "in the ACC?" You have to look at the schedule in its entirety, MJ, not just sweep it under some caveat. That's what happened with the SEC last year and that method of thinking was exposed.

Reactions: Dr. Nole
Why does it have to be because they are an "ACC team?" Shouldn't the over-all schedule be looked at? David Pollack (eSECpn) even stated, "You've gotta give FSU credit for trying to put together one of the toughest schedule's in the nation."

We scheduled Ok St, scUM, Clemson, ND, Louisville, & UF. It's certainly not FSU's fault some of those teams were down.

What if a one-loss ACC team played a tough Missouri, UCLA and say Baylor on their schedule and their one loss was to UCLA? Do they not get an invite simply because they're "in the ACC?" You have to look at the schedule in its entirety, MJ, not just sweep it under some caveat. That's what happened with the SEC last year and that method of thinking was exposed.

If you want the ACC to get some respect then they need to commit to become a good football conference. The ACC didn't do that. They added basketball schools to the conference (Cuse, L'ville, Pitt).

In the whole conference I think the ACC only has 2 programs that have won more than 1 national title in football (Miami & FSU) and Miami's national title's aren't from the ACC and ever since Miami has been in the ACC they have been terrible.

If you want the ACC to get some respect from the national media then it needs to earn it and prove it on the field. Just admit that the ACC doesn't have much to show for itself in football tradition/history/national championships. It's probably never going to happen either. At least not in my lifetime.

If you want the ACC to get some respect then they need to commit to become a good football conference. The ACC didn't do that. They added basketball schools to the conference (Cuse, L'ville, Pitt).

In the whole conference I think the ACC only has 2 programs that have won more than 1 national title in football (Miami & FSU) and Miami's national title's aren't from the ACC and ever since Miami has been in the ACC they have been terrible.

If you want the ACC to get some respect from the national media then it needs to earn it and prove it on the field. Just admit that the ACC doesn't have much to show for itself in football tradition/history/national championships. It's probably never going to happen either. At least not in my lifetime.

I can't argue with your post, Paco. The ACC needs to step it up...their OOC scheduling of p5 teams has been pretty good in recent years, BUT they need to actually win those games (more than just last season). If teams like Va Tech & Miami would return to their former prominence, the conference could actually be pretty solid with teams like:

FSU
Miami
Clemson
VaTech
GaTech
Louisville

Being the upper echelon and

UNC
NC State
Pitt
UVA

being the occasional solid programs.

The potential is there, but (as you said) the ACC's focus is clearly basketball. Maybe if they expand again to include ND & West Va, that might change. Who knows.

I can't argue with your post, Paco. The ACC needs to step it up...their OOC scheduling of p5 teams has been pretty good in recent years, BUT they need to actually win those games (more than just last season). If teams like Va Tech & Miami would return to their former prominence, the conference could actually be pretty solid with teams like:

FSU
Miami
Clemson
VaTech
GaTech
Louisville

Being the upper echelon and

UNC
NC State
Pitt
UVA

being the occasional solid programs.

The potential is there, but (as you said) the ACC's focus is clearly basketball. Maybe if they expand again to include ND & West Va, that might change. Who knows.

The ACC needs more than 1 program that can compete for national championships. Right now that is all the ACC has. When FSU was bad not that long ago the ACC was even worse. I hate to break it to you but Clemson, VT, GT and Louisville aren't going to be getting close to national championship contention anytime soon. Miami is the only other program you got in the ACC that is capable. VT, GT and Lville can't recruit with the big dogs on a consistent basis. Let's be honest. The ACC doesn't have enough "big dogs" when it comes to football.

Miami's problem is coaching. The City of Miami itself produces more NFL talent than any city in the country. They get the right coach and they'll be back instantly. The U is still the biggest brand down there too, recruits just haven't had a reason to go there.

Stanford was a nice drop too, I forgot about them. They're starting to carve out their niche as THE premier academic and football squad on the west coast. So recruits serious about academics are gonna head that way. Had Harbaugh stayed I think they'd be a consistent top 10 team but Shaw to me just isn't good. As Harbaugh's recruits filter out they'll drop off, but they should still be a consistent top 20 type program.

They have de-emphasized football in Miami, and don't have a lot of resources, which will make it hard to hire a big name coach. Plus I think the NCAA is on the lookout for any new "Luther Campbells" down there. Really, other than the name, Miami doesn't have much. Florida International is the bigger school, why doesn't anybody ever talk about them as being a sleeping giant?

So what would FSU's seed have been in 2013 then? I think they probably would have been a #2 seed.

How on earth would that team be #2? They destroyed everyone that year leading up to the title game. It's one of the best teams in the last 15 years.

How on earth would that team be #2? They destroyed everyone that year leading up to the title game. It's one of the best teams in the last 15 years.
Not sure it was the best team in 15 years. But it was a very good team. I think they get the #1 seed in 2013.

What if my Aunt had balls? She would be my Uncle?

And the SEC "got exposed?" Exposed how? It is not like Alabama lost by 39 points in a playoff game.

To change the subject, who is everybody's sleeper team for the NC? Mine is Michigan State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT