ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day Thread

So then when is it ok to be worried? To start the year, whenever anyone pointed out concerns we were shouted down with 'it's a top 5 class!' even though that was only the case because of our numbers. We were all gonna look stupid on signing day we were told. Then the argument shifted to 'well it's a top 6 class!' and then 'it's a top 10 class!' and now it's that we filled needs (despite us missing on many of our top targets throughout the cycle) or that now rankings don't matter. The goal posts about what 'success' is keeps moving.

Plus if you're point is true about Manuel not qualifying, it's still a failure on the staffs end. So they recruited ONE guy for a critical position of need and a guy who apparently had no chance to qualify at that? What, did they just get his transcript yesterday night? And I'm not even high on Manuel anyway, but all these reasons being given seem like convenient justifications. Same with someone like Robinson. He was our #2 corner with no backup plan. So if he had grade issues why weren't there backups? All that seems like poor planning to me. But I'm a negative nelly though so please disregard all that.
Your always worried so not sure why you are asking the question. Some of us worry a little more than others. I personally don't worry too much about things I can't or don't control.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I never said the staff was barely better than the last staff. This staff is much much better than Muschamp and staff. Much better on the field and off the field. I did say I was displeased with how the bowl game went and that I was expecting more. It doesn't mean that this staff can't be successful either and the program is finished. It is also my opinion this team would have looked much much better with Grier at QB the last part of the season than with Harris and we would have fared much better as well and been more competitive.

Listen in general at least many posters on this board are "never happy" about anything that happens. Something good happens and many posters on this board still try and find something negative about it. That's a fact. Something bad happens and it really gets blown out of proportion badly. We have some posters that want to fire McElwain already. It's actually gotten so bad it has become comical.

I see just as many people complaining about a game UF wins then a game in which we lose. It really is mind boggling. That is why I say nobody suffers like UF fans.

So please save me the "strawman" talk. That word has been overused now.

So in addition to being a flake, you also have zero integrity. This was not even a month ago. Still wanna deny you said that?

So yea. You've already declared the staff a failure but have the nerve to talk down to others for questioning even one thing.

Manuel went to IMG. As far as I know we have yet to get a kid from IMG. Very similar situation to Tampa Plant.

Your always worried so not sure why you are asking the question. Some of us worry a little more than others. I personally don't worry too much about things I can't or don't control.

So I guess you don't fall into the camp of people always worried, even though you already declared the staff a failure for all intents and purposes? Ok then. As far as I can tell, you act as if you're the only one allowed to be critical. When you are, then it's the gospel. When other people are, then we get snarky, girly BS responses from you like 'omg the staff will never win again we suck at everything!' Which is funny, because to date your comments on the staff have been most damning of anybody.

Reactions: sadgator
Bielema and others flat out told you today we have some really good ass players coming in... let's let it play out guys. We have some good coaches and I think we should give them time to flourish. Did we get what we wanted all around? no, but let's not be stupid, we have a staff in place to make this work, do i even have to bring up the FIRST year of our staff? You would think we won 7 or less games like was expected lol. This is getting ridiculous to a certain level, I mean i get the concern but my God guys, let's account for reality at this point. We are fine going forward for now. We needed offense? We got it and actually some more, we almost had our OC at my school and it didn't happen lol.. We got some monster playmakers at WR and good QB's for the future to get it to them along with a stable of RB's.

Reactions: sadgator
So in addition to being a flake, you also have zero integrity. This was not even a month ago. Still wanna deny you said that?

So yea. You've already declared the staff a failure but have the nerve to talk down to others for questioning even one thing.

I'm not sure you're aware, but Paco is a soccer boy who's daddy has influence from time-to-time.

For example...if the coach invites them to BBQs, he likes them.

He has never, I the decade that I've been here, actually shown any proof that he knows what's going on the field.

He subscribes to as many recruiting services as he can and makes some people believe he really "knows" something.

He doesn't.

And the idiot doesn't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're' and never has.

He still touts Driskel as a God because he was a big strong high school boy and how DARE the recruiting services be wrong?

Some of you are gullible as hell.

Carry on.

Reactions: GoFish2
Nobody is 'going after' Paco. He just needs to not be a flake and own his comments. Don't get all pissy because people question the smallest thing when you yourself have already declared the staff a failure for all intents and purposes. Nobody on this board to my knowledge has gone that far. So if no one else can question anything then he sure as hell shouldn't be. He's talked out of both sides of his mouth on this staff in a months time. Please.

I think it's cool to have all the stars these teams get but we haven't really had them for awhile now and obviously we still beat these teams yearly so it's nice to have coaches that can coach and a few QB's to pick from that can actually probably complete passes. I've always been a much bigger believer in the developmental coaches than star power, you obviously need just enough of both to win Championships but call me crazy.. Im not sitting here panicking. I want to see this offense over the next two years, we got good players guys.

I don't know if Mac will be successful or not, but at least he has been a head coach, and has won some games, so that puts us at a much better starting place than with the last guy. And more importantly, he seems to understand the importance of building a culture and a structure to the program which we did not have either. My hunch is, this staff is good at talent evaluation, and better at teaching, both lacking in the previous staff. So for now, we wait, and see how far he can take us. No one knows for sure of course, but it at least feels better than it has in a long time. And if nothing else, it is always better to be the guy to follow the guy that follows the legend, then to be the guy who follows the legend.

Bielema and others flat out told you today we have some really good ass players coming in... let's let it play out guys. We have some good coaches and I think we should give them time to flourish. Did we get what we wanted all around? no, but let's not be stupid, we have a staff in place to make this work, do i even have to bring up the FIRST year of our staff? You would think we won 7 or less games like was expected lol. This is getting ridiculous to a certain level, I mean i get the concern but my God guys, let's account for reality at this point. We are fine going forward for now. We needed offense? We got it and actually some more, we almost had our OC at my school and it didn't happen lol.. We got some monster playmakers at WR and good QB's for the future to get it to them along with a stable of RB's.
A+ Post. Couldn't have said it better.

What's with all the doom and gloom? We didn't have the best class ever but we definitely filled our needs and got a few more. We missed a few guys and now everyone thinks our coaches can't recruit. Didn't CJM go and get the best kicker we could get? And we got one of the best Qbs too? He got rid of a coach because he couldn't recruit and screwed some stuff up while recruiting. I'd rather have a lower ranked class that addresses need and can develop talent than have Muschamp's defense heavy recruiting classes that give us a top 10 ranking but has no offensive production. We somehow have one of the best receiving classes this year and yet we have absolutely no sure thing at quarterback. What positions did we miss that we absolutely needed to get this cycle? We can't reload until we actually have those areas filled.

I think we need to wait and see how next year plays out before we start with the pitchforks. We won 10 games, whether by luck or coaching (or both). We lost our qb, and had to fill the void with a kid who was on the verge of changing positions (or so says the internet). I hated how our season ended just as much as everyone else but we still exceeded expectations. If we win 10 games again next year, we will definitely get more attention from recruits.

I really want to see how next season plays out with regards to developing our offense and whether or not we can keep the defense on the same level.

If I was a gator I would be discouraged that most of my highly ranked guys were only one position group- WR's . I know UF needs skill guys but it seems excessive to load up with that many in one year.

DT and OL are UF's biggest weakness going forward and why the coaching staff put all their hopes on just a few guys is beyond me.

Forget about FSU, look at the East and the SEC as a whole. UF should be able to use the SEC banner for a top ten class without breaking a sweat. These are the guys you'll be playing for championships. I'm really astonished McElwain didn't cultivate better relationships.

Hell, Ole Miss is top 5 , and $$$$$ aside , they don't have anything remotely as positive to offer as UF does....

UF needs better recruiters ...truth hurts...

Reactions: Michi-Gator
Two articles that might interest you.
link
link
lmao

What's the funny part? That only teams with 50%+ rosters of 4 and 5 star kids win national championships over last decade, or UF's dwindling percentage of same?

UF will have 16 olineman on scholly in the fall. Not sure you need many more than that. 16 is a pretty good # to work with. Maybe could have used 1 more, but nothing to panic about either. We will have 16 dlineman on scholly as well which is also a pretty good #. 8-9 of those 16 are DTs. Recruiting is also about needs and roster management and having the right number of players at certain positions.

Last edited:
UF will have 16 olineman on scholly in the fall. Not sure you need many more than that. 16 is a pretty good # to work with.

Three are true freshman and three are redshirt freshmen and three are true sophomores. Ideally, I team needs about 18, evenly dispersed.

Reactions: dakid_0812
If I was a gator I would be discouraged that most of my highly ranked guys were only one position group- WR's . I know UF needs skill guys but it seems excessive to load up with that many in one year.

DT and OL are UF's biggest weakness going forward and why the coaching staff put all their hopes on just a few guys is beyond me.

Forget about FSU, look at the East and the SEC as a whole. UF should be able to use the SEC banner for a top ten class without breaking a sweat. These are the guys you'll be playing for championships. I'm really astonished McElwain didn't cultivate better relationships.

Hell, Ole Miss is top 5 , and $$$$$ aside , they don't have anything remotely as positive to offer as UF does....

UF needs better recruiters ...truth hurts...

WR is not the only high ranked group.

We got one of the top QB prospects we wanted.

We got the kicker. UF has been needing a kicker since Sturgis left.

We have signed 6 linemen the past two classes. Why are you dwelling on the UF Oline?

Yes no DT recruit was a concern. We address the DE position nicely.

Why is it excessive to load up at a position WR haven't had success at since the Harvin, Cooper, Murphy days?

It's not doom and gloom to objectively evaluate Mac's performance. As Oozie has said ad nauseum, nobody's panicking or saying the end in near. Bottom line is that a 10 to 20th ranked recruiting class is a disappointment at UF, and it should be. It's true that this class might outperform its ranking, but Mac's chasing after the top guys just like everybody else and missed out on some guys that we chased hard. It doesn't mean he's going to be a failure, but this is a disappointing class, following a disappointing end to the season. I like him overall, but I hope he really looks hard at his offense and his recruiting and is willing to make changes if necessary to improve.

Three are true freshman and three are redshirt freshmen and three are true sophomores. Ideally, I team needs about 18, evenly dispersed.
While at UF Urban Meyer always said 16 scholly olineman is what he felt was ideal for a roster. I would say 17 at max. It would have been nice to get 1 more olineman and we may still do that.

So then when is it ok to be worried? All that seems like poor planning to me. But I'm a negative nelly though so please disregard all that.

One can worry about anything, anytime. What good does it do?

This was viewed last week as a good, but not great class. It is still viewed that way. Why the increase in angst? One can certainly opine that we closed poorly. But even with that, one has to acknowledge that we did get two pretty good players late.

It looks like we got some player makers on offense at WR and at RB. Our DL and DB slots are filled. We could have used another LBer and another OL.

A good but not great class.

I tell you how to feel better about a class....

Don't follow it. Don't read who we may be going after. Read about it on NSD. On NSD look at the ranking. Look at the numbers and how they fit into the roster needs.

Follow that path and many of you guys will be less stressed.

I As Oozie has said ad nauseum, nobody's panicking or saying the end in near.

Actually, if you go back and read some posts that is EXACTLY the tone they were giving off.

But no matter.

We got two players at the end. One really good one. We missed on two others we wanted. We could have really used that OL that signed with Clemson, but he was a long shot.

We lost Robinson, yet by all accounts he is not yet qualified and may not. There were several reports that Manual's grades are suspect. Correct if I am wrong, but I think the NCAA recently made some changes. If a player is signed but does not qualify, he NOW still counts as one of the 25 limit and cannot be carried over to next year. That is a change.

What's the funny part? That only teams with 50%+ rosters of 4 and 5 star kids win national championships over last decade, or UF's dwindling percentage of same?

I hope my life is never so boring and meaningless that I spend my time reading other fan bases' forums and commenting as tho I have something to do with the success of the team I root for or looking for threads where I can pick cyber fights.

I hope my life is never so boring and meaningless that I spend my time reading other fan bases' forums and commenting as tho I have something to do with the success of the team I root for or looking for threads where I can pick cyber fights.
A.M.E.N!

We lost Robinson, yet by all accounts he is not yet qualified and may not.

Well...he flipped to 'Bama. They don't seem worried about risking a spot on him. With the new rules, that would be a very tough risk at a place like 'Bama who can fill any spot with quality.

UF wasn't pulling Robinson's offer nor were they pulling Manuel's. According to Robinson, his reason for flipping had to do with Mac not making a home visit.

Robinson has been a risk the whole recruiting process. He hasn't even taken the SAT/ACT yet. How does that even happen? He's a good player though. He's just using that as an excuse. He didn't get an in-home visit from Saban either.

I hope my life is never so boring and meaningless that I spend my time reading other fan bases' forums and commenting as tho I have something to do with the success of the team I root for

I gotta admit I don't know why you would think that I presume to have anything to do with the success of the team I root for, nor do I care.
Numbers made a comment about the relative importance of blue chips, and I shared some info on the subject. Any problem with that is entirely yours.
I actually do enjoy the insight of posters like oozie, but I limit my responses around here because of uptight people like you.

or looking for threads where I can pick cyber fights.

I don't look for fights, but don't have a problem partaking in discussion with fans of other teams.
I'm really not sure how much pettiness and pride it would take not want to discuss something on an online forum because someone was the fan of another team.
If anyone asks me, I'll send them your way.

One can worry about anything, anytime. What good does it do?

This was viewed last week as a good, but not great class. It is still viewed that way. Why the increase in angst? One can certainly opine that we closed poorly. But even with that, one has to acknowledge that we did get two pretty good players late.

It looks like we got some player makers on offense at WR and at RB. Our DL and DB slots are filled. We could have used another LBer and another OL.

A good but not great class.

Well then where do we disagree? I've called this a good class too. I think we have the best WR class in the country also. The question is whether this class gets us closer to our competitors or not. I don't think so, don't know how anyone could objectively say so. We have some players at the top who can play with anybody, but the depth isn't there. The question is if people here are content with being 'good'? Anything answer other than no is just BS because Zook was 'good' and won 8 games a year (which gets you raises at plenty of places around the country) and was ran out of here. So if the answer is no then these types of classes aren't good enough.

Doesn't mean the staff sucks, we'll never be good again, or any of the other hyperbolic bullshit people throw around to kill criticism. You as well as I know people won't settle for 'good' on field results so idk why we are pretending being 'good' in recruiting is enough either.

We did not fill our needs. Not sure why anyone would say that. Biggest needs were OL and DT. ZERO DT's and 3 OL...that's pathetic. The 3 OL we did get were average at best. Compare that to FSU's 6 OL signed 5 4* and a 3*. We gave up the most sacks in the nation and could only muster a lousy 3 signings with no 4*. Pathetic...we are going to get pushed around for the next 4 years if we don't address this in the 2017 class. We need elite OL and DL or we are going to get killed. I foresee another 7-6 season coming up.

Well then where do we disagree? I've called this a good class too. I think we have the best WR class in the country also. The question is whether this class gets us closer to our competitors or not. I don't think so, don't know how anyone could objectively say so. We have some players at the top who can play with anybody, but the depth isn't there. The question is if people here are content with being 'good'? Anything answer other than no is just BS because Zook was 'good' and won 8 games a year (which gets you raises at plenty of places around the country) and was ran out of here. So if the answer is no then these types of classes aren't good enough.

Doesn't mean the staff sucks, we'll never be good again, or any of the other hyperbolic bullshit people throw around to kill criticism. You as well as I know people won't settle for 'good' on field results so idk why we are pretending being 'good' in recruiting is enough either.

Thank you. And in 2 classes we have not landed a super solid QB. I know Franks has the rating but Mac was still chasing his targets pretty hard after Franks committed.

Let me put it this way, if we lose to UT in September, the overall tone on recruiting 'good' will change quickly. Too many people sitting on us backing into the SEC title game and thinking that meant something. If we hadn't won the East, nobody is defending this class. If Del Rio is a bust, it will spiral downhill, quickly. Be objective folks, we just relived 2012 and a lot rides on next year.

We did not fill our needs. Not sure why anyone would say that. Biggest needs were OL and DT. ZERO DT's and 3 OL...that's pathetic. The 3 OL we did get were average at best. Compare that to FSU's 6 OL signed 5 4* and a 3*. We gave up the most sacks in the nation and could only muster a lousy 3 signings with no 4*. Pathetic...we are going to get pushed around for the next 4 years if we don't address this in the 2017 class. We need elite OL and DL or we are going to get killed. I foresee another 7-6 season coming up.
Who is "we" with a monkier like that? Newbie and only activity is liking Nole posts or bragging about FSU.

We now 16 OL. About the same depth Meyer kept on the roster. So "we" did address the OL depth.

GTFO here Nole Troll.

Reactions: dakid_0812
Again we have 16 olineman and 16 defensive lineman on scholly. Quantity wise that is enough. You have to be careful not to over recruit a position with too many numbers because that means you may be shortchanging yourself at another position. You still have to manage your roster appropriately. Something Muschamp didn't do a good job of.

Again we have 16 olineman and 16 defensive lineman on scholly. Quantity wise that is enough. You have to be careful not to over recruit a position with too many numbers because that means you may be shortchanging yourself at another position. You still have to manage your roster appropriately. Something Muschamp didn't do a good job of.

You make great points....however many won't listen to it. They are too worried about who we didn't get somewhere instead of what we did get.

Paco, with these signees how are we as far as the 85 limit goes?

Despite if some are satisfied while others may not be satisfied... This class sure has the attention of the Nole fans for some reason.

Seriously look at all of the Noles on this thread and others breaking down our class.

Why do y'all seriously give a F what we sign/don't sign?

Despite if some are satisfied while others may not be satisfied... This class sure has the attention of the Nole fans for some reason.

Seriously look at all of the Noles on this thread and others breaking down our class.

Why do y'all seriously give a F what we sign/don't sign?
It is what they do. Or better said, it is what they MUST do.

One thing BONG was always right about, UF is both the alpha and the omega to FSU fans

UF wasn't pulling Robinson's offer nor were they pulling Manuel's. According to Robinson, his reason for flipping had to do with Mac not making a home visit.

Who even claimed Florida pulled the offer to either athlete? Robinson does NOT have his scores. And Saban did not pay him a home visit either.

You are the king of strawmen arguments.

If you have a problem with the academic concerns of either player, take it up with ESPN. Because they reported it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT