ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day Thread

oozie7

Bull Gator
May 28, 2008
Inspired by DJEGators question...

Here are the guys UF is seriously in the running for.

DT- Manuel
CB- Fulton
OL- Simpson
DE-Burns
WR- Cleveland

Manuel says he's committed to UF but a ton of reporters are predicting a flip to FSU and he's making a 'final decision.' UF has parted with Nelson and a few other guys will be defecting (supposedly) so we have room for 3-4 more, mostly the guys above. If we grab two off that list not including Manuel that would be great.

I think we are pretty much officially out of it for Simpson and Burns. Our best case scenario is to get Fulton and Cleveland, then hold Manuel and Robinson (hasn't taken the SAT or ACT yet, plus will sign with Bama if they make room). That gives us one empty spot to maybe snag a surprise guy, although my preference would be to add the extra scholarship to next year when our traditionally strong areas are more stocked with talent and this staff can hopefully find their way on the trail a little bit more.

Last edited:
Simpson eliminated us? Well that sucks.

Agree with you on Fulton on Cleveland though. Get those two and I wouldn't take anybody's WR or DB class over ours. Fulton and Gardener are elite.

https://www.seccount...ts-for-recruits

8:00 a.m. — Four-star DE Brian Burns at American Heritage High School in Plantation, Fla. (Florida, Florida State and Georgia)
9:00 a.m. — Four-star WR Tyrie Cleveland at Westfield High School in Houston, Texas. (Florida, Houston and TCU)
12:30 p.m. — Four-star OL John Simpson at North Dorchester High School in North Charleston, S.C. (Clemson and Florida)
12:45 p.m. — Five-star CB Kristian Fulton at Archbishop Rummel High School in Metairie, La. (Florida and LSU)

Simpson has not eliminated UF. It's close between UF and Clemson for him.

https://www.seccount...ts-for-recruits

8:00 a.m. — Four-star DE Brian Burns at American Heritage High School in Plantation, Fla. (Florida, Florida State and Georgia)
9:00 a.m. — Four-star WR Tyrie Cleveland at Westfield High School in Houston, Texas. (Florida, Houston and TCU)
12:30 p.m. — Four-star OL John Simpson at North Dorchester High School in North Charleston, S.C. (Clemson and Florida)
12:45 p.m. — Five-star CB Kristian Fulton at Archbishop Rummel High School in Metairie, La. (Florida and LSU)

Is Cleveland also looking hard at Arkansas or has that ship sailed?

Same stuff every year. Kids come down to the last minute. You win some you lose some. I'd love to win them all, but that obviously doesn't happen.

For Manuel, I will be surprised if he doesn't come to UF. This just smells to me like a kid who's decided he wants a hat ceremony, and it's not much of a ceremony if there isn't some suspense, so, you have to make some suspense.

It will be a shame if we don't get Burns. Unblockable ends do at least as much for pass defense as All-American corners.

Reactions: oozie7
Same stuff every year. Kids come down to the last minute. You win some you lose some. I'd love to win them all, but that obviously doesn't happen.

For Manuel, I will be surprised if he doesn't come to UF. This just smells to me like a kid who's decided he wants a hat ceremony, and it's not much of a ceremony if there isn't some suspense, so, you have to make some suspense.

It will be a shame if we don't get Burns. Unblockable ends do at least as much for pass defense as All-American corners.
We got 3 DEs in Clayton, Smith and Polite. Clayton is the best DE prospect in the country.

We got 3 DEs in Clayton, Smith and Polite. Clayton is the best DE prospect in the country.

Burns is still an unblockable end, and we seem to be cursed every year with an unusually high number of injuries, so having another elite DE would be awesome. Plus, if he's here, he's not in Tallahassee.

Burns is still an unblockable end, and we seem to be cursed every year with an unusually high number of injuries, so having another elite DE would be awesome. Plus, if he's here, he's not in Tallahassee.
Based on the roster I just don't see the need for a 4th DE in this class. We are loaded at DE. Bryan Cox, Keivonnis Davis, Cece Jefferson, Jordan Sherit, Justus Reed, Luke Ancrum, Jordan Smith, Tony Clayton, Jachai Polite

From TOS recruiting page

We’re just under 24 hours from finally learning where John Simpson will play college ball.

For months now, we’ve painted the picture that Florida was the biggest threat to Clemson, and it certainly appears that the Gators are in position to potentially pull off a major coup.

At this point, it’s a close call. Maybe too close to say with absolute certainty.

Clemson has long been considered as the front-runner. They’ve been on him the longest, back to his freshman year at Stall High School. Interest ratcheted up after he transferred to Fort Dorchester.

LSU was always an entertaining option. Simpson usually mentioned LSU as a place he wanted to visit before narrowing down his options and/or making a final decision. Those Tigers did receive an official visit in the fall, but that ship has sailed.

Simpson is down to Clemson and Florida. It’s been that way for a while, longer than what’s been discussed in public.

What could be a factor as we move closer to Wednesday afternoon is playing time. The state of Florida’s offensive line has been in flux since Jim McElwain arrived and the right side of last season’s starting five is gone. The Gators are signing three offensive linemen with the 2016 class, all of whom are carry lower rankings/ratings than Simpson.

Clemson will also be down two starters from last season, but the Tigers’ returning depth is far greater than a lot of folks, not just Florida. The state of the offensive line in Tigertown is better than it’s been in a long time, if not ever.

After his official visit to Clemson last month, it appeared that Simpson was on track and heading where most thought he was already headed. A day before Signing Day, the conversation has changed and it’s not so clear-cut.

Again, it’s a close call, so close that, as of the time of publication, TheClemsonInsider is not planning to attend his 12:30 announcement at Fort Dorchester. Those plans, obviously, can change between now and Wednesday morning.

Is Cleveland also looking hard at Arkansas or has that ship sailed?

From a recruiting site;

As we all expected, Tyrie Cleveland continues to waver back and forth between schools. How much so? Instead of narrowing his list, it appears to have grown back to the original four he had to start the month -- Arkansas, Florida, Houston, and TCU. Apparently he has mentioned all today as possible destinations for him.

Someone in these discussions even joked with Cleveland about his lack of decisiveness by saying he would simply sign the first NLI that crossed his face on Wednesday.

As of now, the plan is for Cleveland to sign around 7am CT and send that NLI in. He will then have a ceremony at his school later that morning. Give Cleveland some credit though, he will not be using a fax, but rather emailing a signed NLI in like the rest of us in 2016.

From Spivey:

Here's the latest piece of information I have on the 3 big targets for Florida as of 12 on Tuesday.
John Simpson has completely shut down communication and isn't talking to anyone. Clemson feels very concerned while Florida feels good about its chances. Simpson's high school believes it's Florida. Clemson writers are now saying that they may not even go to his signing because they believe it's Florida.

Kristian Fulton will decide sometime today but his grandmother has gotten very ill over night. Fulton is saying the right things but until ink hits paper then everything is just a guess.
Tyrie Cleveland will likely announce a top two of Florida and TCU some time today. I have high confidence in Cleveland coming to Gainesville and several people at UF feel the same way.

Reactions: hooking
So a week or two ago a person or two wasn't happy with the Manuel commitment. "He's not even a starter for his team"... Now it is doom and gloom because he may go elsewhere?

He's important only from the standpoint we don't have another DT commit. He's overrated right now because he isn't what I would consider a 4-star from a production standpoint. But he's big and has potential.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Wait I thought we were out of it for Simpson?? Again not sure why some of you were so quick to concede him to Clemson. It's a tight one between UF and Clemson for him and it's been that way for quite a awhile.

Just an FYI. I'm not calling Simpson a Gator just yet but if you follow recruiting at all you would know that where Simpson is coming from hasn't been a very friendly place for Clemson to get prospects. Many players out of that area just don't go to Clemson. I believe Simpson is also from the same high school as Carlos Dunlap.

Last edited:
So a week or two ago a person or two wasn't happy with the Manuel commitment. "He's not even a starter for his team"... Now it is doom and gloom because he may go elsewhere?
Yep pretty funny how that works but that has kind of been the tone of many on this message board the last few months.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Where in this thread is there doom and gloom about Manuel leaving? There is literally not even one person who has so much as uttered the words 'he would be a loss' in here. Anything related to him has just been the latest news. Y'all really are funny. Just invent things out of thin air to try to make whatever point.

Reactions: BringBackBonner
I have been too busy the past three weeks to even keep up with our recruiting, what is our class expected to finish at tomorrow?

All about how we close. Anywhere from top 3-4 to 7-10 to slightly outside the top 10. That's exact I know LOL.

Two years in a row with some pretty good center prospects. Now if we could get some guards so Ivey and Sharpe wouldn't have to play out of position in some of or rotations the OL would look a whole lot better.

Retweeted Dan Hicken (@DanHicken):

raines wr rick wells wearing orange and blue according to @DrewASJax

DE Jachai Polite LOI in. I like this kid a lot. I believe he led the state of Florida in sacks this year and we typically don't get kids from Daytona Beach Mainland too often.

DE Jachai Polite LOI in. I like this kid a lot. I believe he led the state of Florida in sacks this year and we typically don't get kids from Daytona Beach Mainland too often.

I've read he's likely to grow into a 3-technique. If that's the case I don't really care about Manuel, though the extra body would be great to have.

I've read he's likely to grow into a 3-technique. If that's the case I don't really care about Manuel, though the extra body would be great to have.
Yes he's bigger than I thought. He's 258. He's likely gonna grow into a DT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT