ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day Thread

You make great points....however many won't listen to it. They are too worried about who we didn't get somewhere instead of what we did get.

Paco, with these signees how are we as far as the 85 limit goes?
We are at 87 if you count Herndon and Powell. We will have some attrition. I expect that number to be closer to low 80s by the time the fall rolls around.

Why do y'all seriously give a F what we sign/don't sign?

My interest stems from the fact that in some cases the teams are going for the same player and in part from the fact that recruiting provides some insight into future prospects.

"The 2015 class cannot be properly judged for a few more years, but on paper, only signing 20% blue chips is not the beginning for which many were hoping. With signing day 2016 upon us, the Gators sit at 37.5% blue chips... A combined 30% rate over the first two classes is just not up to standards, and would rate outside the top-20 nationally. If you blindly compared what McElwain (30%) has done to the first two years of Fisher (41%), Meyer (59%), Muschamp (64%) and Golden (24%), the closest match is to Al Golden."

here is a good link for the current roster, including the new signees

there are 82 now on scholarship, 3 under the limit

9 seniors, plus Brantley will certainly leave next year

so 13 spots for next year plus figure about 6-7 will leave for various reasons, so next class should be 19 or 20 players

https://docs.google....CDvU/edit#gid=0

Recruiting is also about needs and roster management and having the right number of players at certain positions.

To some degree, but coaches and fans can be pretty obnoxious with the "numbers" and "needs" stuff. The ultimate need is getting a bunch of really good players.

Reactions: GoFish2
here is a good link for the current roster, including the new signees

there are 82 now on scholarship, 3 under the limit

9 seniors, plus Brantley will certainly leave next year

so 13 spots for next year plus figure about 6-7 will leave for various reasons, so next class should be 19 or 20 players

https://docs.google....CDvU/edit#gid=0
your roster is missing some players. Where is Andrades? What about TJ McCoy? Mark Herndon and Case Harrison were on scholarship last year as well.

We don't have depth just because we have numbers. Depth isn't just numbers, it's about having quality behind your starters. A team with 8 OL who are all quality and capable of starting is deeper than a team with 16 and 3 capable starters. If Mac thought our depth was fine he wouldn't have been chasing Dickerson, Simpson, Pridgeon, and others down the stretch. His actions would seem to contradict the thought that we're fine on the OLINE.

A perfect example of the flawed numbers argument. We had what, 13 scholarship receivers last year. Would anyone argue that we were fine there just because we had 13 players at the position? We still went out and signed 5 WR's. Why? Because we didn't have much quality despite the numbers. Same is true for the oline.

Reactions: FSU4545
The offensive line has been a major problem for our Gators for the last 3-4 years, not because we didn't have enough of them, but because the quality just wasn't there. And, while time will tell, it doesn't look like we helped our situation much with this class. The 2-3 freshmen who played in 2015 could become top notch at their positions, but until we get 7-8 QUALITY offensive linemen, I fear our offensive production will continue to lack, especially against teams who have NFL talent in their defensive front 7. You can have a great QB, great RB's and great WR's, but unless the line is doing it's job, it just won't much matter.

Ivey and Johnson are really good tackle prospects. Hopefully they move Ivey back to his natural tackle position and put Sharpe on the bench. I think Tyler Jordan is gonna be really good based on how he played to end the year. And then Heggie is a good center prospect too. But in terms of proven capable, good guys we have 3 on the OL, maybe 4.

We don't have depth just because we have numbers. Depth isn't just numbers, it's about having quality behind your starters. A team with 8 OL who are all quality and capable of starting is deeper than a team with 16 and 3 capable starters.

This. The numbers stuff that coaches and fans spew in recruiting is just silly. Teams get 85 scholarships. 3 deep on offense, 3 deep on defense, and 2 kickers still leaves you with 17 open scholarships. No one is hurting for numbers. It's assembling a football team. Not quantum mechanics. It's about getting guys that can play. The reason college coaches want 15-17 OL is not because they "need" them. It's because they know that half of them won't pan out. You know how many OL NFL teams typically carry? 8. They're just 8 guys that are good enough to play in the NFL.

"Meeting needs" is another one that kills me. Fans will come up with the craziest logic on that one. "Percy Harvin is a great prospect, but we have good WR's. That 3* LB from Kansas is more of a need." "We already have good DT's. Timmy Jernigan is a want, not a need. We need a third scholarship TE, dangit!" If coaches really want to recruit to meet some arbitrary number of players at a position that's their right, but the guy with Percy Harvin and Timmy Jernigan on his team is going to kick their ass.

We don't have depth just because we have numbers. Depth isn't just numbers, it's about having quality behind your starters. A team with 8 OL who are all quality and capable of starting is deeper than a team with 16 and 3 capable starters. If Mac thought our depth was fine he wouldn't have been chasing Dickerson, Simpson, Pridgeon, and others down the stretch. His actions would seem to contradict the thought that we're fine on the OLINE.

You "chase" others because sometimes the ones who are "committed" can easily change their mind. Something we fussed about Musch doing. Putting all the eggs in one WR basket of Diggs and such.

With that logic...he was comfortable with one DT recruit because he wasn't chasing many others because he jad Manuel committed.

My interest stems from the fact that in some cases the teams are going for the same player and in part from the fact that recruiting provides some insight into future prospects.

"The 2015 class cannot be properly judged for a few more years, but on paper, only signing 20% blue chips is not the beginning for which many were hoping. With signing day 2016 upon us, the Gators sit at 37.5% blue chips... A combined 30% rate over the first two classes is just not up to standards, and would rate outside the top-20 nationally. If you blindly compared what McElwain (30%) has done to the first two years of Fisher (41%), Meyer (59%), Muschamp (64%) and Golden (24%), the closest match is to Al Golden."

Dam* dude you made my point. Because UF and FSU go after some of the same players you broke down those useless stats...or better yet researched them?

I mean you finding out that useless information and coming here with your chest poked out does what to help FSU win and Florida lose?

You "chase" others because sometimes the ones who are "committed" can easily change their mind. Something we fussed about Musch doing. Putting all the eggs in one WR basket of Diggs and such.

With that logic...he was comfortable with one DT recruit because he wasn't chasing many others because he jad Manuel committed.

Of course but when you reach your target number you turn your attention to other positions. We never did that because I'm sure the coaches know a big gap is still there despite the numbers. Like with Manuel. We chased other DT's, we just whiffed. I'm sure our coaches would have loved to have had more.

Dam* dude you made my point. Because UF and FSU go after some of the same players you broke down those useless stats...or better yet researched them?

No, someone who makes money writing about college football researched that. I just shared it with a few clicks on a message board where people discuss college football. I'm still not sure why you have a problem with it.
If you're interested in college football you might be interested in those articles. When only a handful of teams have more than 50% blue chips on their roster, and the only national champions in college football come from that same small pool of teams, it is relevant to the discussion of how much recruiting matters for future prospects.

I mean you finding out that useless information and coming here with your chest poked out does what to help FSU win and Florida lose?

My posting on this board doesn't do anything to help FSU beat Florida, I don't understand why you would even entertain that notion.
FSU recruiting more of the better players does help FSU beat Florida.
The information is 'useless' if you don't care about who's in contention to win the national title.
So I can understand why you might find it 'useless', value is truly subjective.

According to the Sporting News, we signed 4 of the top 40 prospects in the state of Florida. FSU signed 8, Miami signed 10. So your point is valid.

To get UF back to the Top 10 program it needs to be, we've got to do a better job of getting quality players from our own state. There's plenty to go around, but we're no longer getting anywhere near the number we should be.

No, someone who makes money writing about college football researched that. I just shared it with a few clicks on a message board where people discuss college football. I'm still not sure why you have a problem with it.
If you're interested in college football you might be interested in those articles. When only a handful of teams have more than 50% blue chips on their roster, and the only national champions in college football come from that same small pool of teams, it is relevant to the discussion of how much recruiting matters for future prospects.

My posting on this board doesn't do anything to help FSU beat Florida, I don't understand why you would even entertain that notion.
FSU recruiting more of the better players does help FSU beat Florida.
The information is 'useless' if you don't care about who's in contention to win the national title.
So I can understand why you might find it 'useless', value is truly subjective.

Because it gets annoying with multiple FSU posters coming over here trying to approve or disapprove our signing class. We have fans and coaches to do so. More of us do not care of your opinion of our class. A few may. If I cared I would go to War Chant or whatever the name of the FSU board was and would ask.

According to the Sporting News, we signed 4 of the top 40 prospects in the state of Florida. FSU signed 8, Miami signed 10. So your point is valid.

Miami SUX and it was a transition class? I mean really, wtf are we doing or not doing to cause this in state problem?

Miami SUX and it was a transition class? I mean really, wtf are we doing or not doing to cause this in state problem?

Hopefully going after a different type of cultural. Getting away from the selfish punk type of kids we have had the past 5 or so years.

Women beaters, drug users, and the list goes on.

Some of the issues were down right embarrassing. Even during the high rated classes it was full of off field failures.

I'm not sure of your age. I know Ooz is still early 20's. I know some say "that's just kids these days" yes I know. However plenty of good kids still around...that can win. We need less twitter hero's and more kids who appreciate the opportunity to play for the University of Florida.

Gators filling needs on offense under McElwain

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- When Jim McElwain arrived at Florida, he found a roster on offense that was in disarray. During his first spring practice, the numbers dropped as low as just six scholarship players on the offensive line.

6_4148117.jpg
(Photo: David Lake, 247Sports)

Naturally, adding a bevy of players to that side of the ball was a major focal point in his first two recruiting classes.

The Gators, two years later, have beefed up the numbers by adding 25 players over the two cycles on the offensive side of the ball. And they've done it at virtually every position, adding three quarterbacks, four running backs, seven receivers, a tight end and 10 offensive linemen.

"We got our numbers back," McElwain said on signing day. "I think as we sat here and talked going into spring ball last year, what were we at – six or seven O-linemen, maybe? Something like that? So I’m glad we at least got some bodies there, too."

Florida added three offensive linemen in the 2016 recruiting class, but a much bigger focus was on the skill positions this cycle. The Gators added a whopping 10 skill players, including a bevy of playmakers who figure to see the field early.

There's playing time to be had at virtually every spot, with an open quarterback competition, a running back position that has no clear favorite for the starting job and a receiver corps that, outside of Antonio Callaway, lacks proven playmakers.

"Obviously that's part of the side that needed most of the restructuring," McElwain said. "Like I said, I think we addressed some of those position needs. I feel really good at the skills spots.

"We obviously had some young offensive linemen and we got a couple we look forward to adding to that. But when you look at it from the receiver, quarterback, running back side, I think we've got some really good talent in there. It'll be fun to watch them because the majority of them are here already, so we'll get a good feel for that this spring."

Of the 10 skill players the Gators added, seven were early enrollees.

The sooner those players come along and get comfortable working at the college level, the better. An offense that ranked 112th nationally in 2015 desperately needs an influx of talent.

McElwain is confident the Gators got it in the 2016 recruiting class.

"Really more so just excited about getting the type of new blood in those different position groups and different meeting rooms, bring a little energy, a little competition, an opportunity to really work up some guys as to how you go about your daily business and how you go about getting better every single day," he said.

"In this short period of time with these new guys it’s been fun to watch how eager they are, but also fun to watch some of the older guys taking these guys under their wings. Kind of a big brother figure. That’s been great to see with the current Gators as well."

Hopefully going after a different type of cultural. Getting away from the selfish punk type of kids we have had the past 5 or so years.

Women beaters, drug users, and the list goes on.

Some of the issues were down right embarrassing. Even during the high rated classes it was full of off field failures.

I'm not sure of your age. I know Ooz is still early 20's. I know some say "that's just kids these days" yes I know. However plenty of good kids still around...that can win. We need less twitter hero's and more
kids who appreciate the opportunity to play for the University of Florida.

While I certinly respect guys like yourself, Ghost and MJ who are concerned about the university I go back to what oozie says and that is most or all of those kids had UF offers. Also, the Athletic Dept keeps hiring Saban assistants, not exactly a message that 'clean' is the focus. Again, I respect what you say, but don't buy for ine second that is what is on the forefront of Mac's mind, in fact I was led to believe he was thinking restrictions would be lessened.

While I certinly respect guys like yourself, Ghost and MJ who are concerned about the university I go back to what oozie says and that is most or all of those kids had UF offers. Also, the Athletic Dept keeps hiring Saban assistants, not exactly a message that 'clean' is the focus. Again, I respect what you say, but don't buy for ine second that is what is on the forefront of Mac's mind, in fact I was led to believe he was thinking restrictions would be lessened.
It may not be. I honestly don't know. He does seem like he is a no nonsense type of guy but at the same time he seems like a players coach. Too soft a times.

I agree that we need to recruit the state harder. Start from the inside out. Build local relationships. No way that Miami should out recruit us by that margin.

It may not be. I honestly don't know. He does seem like he is a no nonsense type of guy but at the same time he seems like a players coach. Too soft a times.

I agree that we need to recruit the state harder. Start from the inside out. Build local relationships. No way that Miami should out recruit us by that margin.
Miami's recruitng class isn't ahead of UFs on any recruitng service. They finished with a 24th ranked recruiting class on Rivals and the 37th ranked recruiting class on Scout. They didn't have a very good recruiting class. Sam Bruce is probably the only kid they got that was a heavily recruited prospect.

Miami's recruitng class isn't ahead of UFs on any recruitng service. They finished with a 24th ranked recruiting class on Rivals and the 37th ranked recruiting class on Scout. They didn't have a very good recruiting class. Sam Bruce is probably the only kid they got that was a heavily recruited prospect.
In state.

I'll research later but somewhere I've read the article where Miami had like 8 of the top 50 while Florida only had 4.

Again I'm not sweating much of this class. O like it. Wish we would have signed at least one DT though. Actually at least 2 but it is what it is.

So now recruiting rankings matter when judging classes? Hmmm. Interesting.

Btw, that statement about Miami's class is laughably incorrect. They have prospects like Quarterman, Mullins, Finley, Jackson, Richardson, etc who have/had offers from major powers across the SE. Their receiver commit Richardson was deciding between Bama, Miami, and Auburn and received an in-home from Saban not even two weeks out from signing day as one example. Mullins was down to UM and LSU and is considered one of the best receiver prospects in the country. Almost half their commits off the top of my head were in the all-star games and their under the radar commits had big programs on them. Young for example was once committed to UGA and ended up deciding between Miami and Clemson. They are only ranked lightly because they had a very small class.

BTW our class is better than Miami's. They didn't do well on the oline or at DB, but it's a transition class. Our guys at the top are better, but if we're making a comparison I think they have more depth defensively. Clayton and Gardner are better than anyone they have but after those two I'd take Miami's class. Joseph Jackson for example is 6'6 230 and returns kicks for his HS, he is a freak DE. Then you have guys like Quarterman who dominated the Army All-Anerican game and Malek Young who along with Byrd (our former commit) were the two best DB's in San Antonio. To downplay their class is silly. Their receiving group is only second to ours also with Bruce, Mullins, and Richards. They're short on numbers but have a ton of quality.

Again Miami's recruiting class wasn't very good. I would take Sam Bruce and that would be about where it ends as far as prospects that they signed that have really impressed me. I'll give you Joseph Jackson as well. After that it was a bunch of "meh"

Last edited:
If you say so Paco. Their average ranking is basically equal to ours and they only had 2 less 4-stars despite signing 6 less players overall and had more commits in All-Star games but our class is good and theirs isn't. That's homer talk.

Last edited:
BTW our class is better than Miami's. They didn't do well on the oline or at DB, but it's a transition class. Our guys at the top are better, but if we're making a comparison I think they have more depth defensively. Clayton and Gardner are better than anyone they have but after those two I'd take Miami's class. Joseph Jackson for example is 6'6 230 and returns kicks for his HS, he is a freak DE. Then you have guys like Quarterman who dominated the Army All-Anerican game and Malek Young who along with Byrd (our former commit) were the two best DB's in San Antonio. To downplay their class is silly. Their receiving group is only second to ours also with Bruce, Mullins, and Richards. They're short on numbers but have a ton of quality.
You do realize Tyler Byrd didn't sign with Miami right?

You do realize Tyler Byrd didn't sign with Miami right?

No shit. Did my post imply he did? I stated Young (Miami's commit) along with Byrd were rated as the two best corners at the Army game. How did you take that statement to mean Byrd was a Miami commit?

Miami had ten 4 stars to our nine according to the composite recruiting rankings at 247. That despite the fact that this was their transition class, which is almost always bad, and it was our bump class, which is almost always stellar. They've been mediocre far longer than we have also. No way to explain that away as anything other than embarrassing for our staff. Gray was a nice start to bring in some guys who can recruit, but we need AT LEAST one more change, and hopefully two, with Nord and Summers getting upgraded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT