ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day Thread

I know we were expecting a post first season bump for Mac, and maybe that is what he got.....UM did a number on us, and Mus continued the dismantling process with his incompetence....Mac has started to putting the structure back to together, and is adding players into that structure, but the program wasn't run down over night, and it won't be fixed over night either.

Reactions: GatorGray
Recruiting is educated speculation, but there's a lot more in-depth evaluation of high school players now then ever before. So when we see that Florida signed only 7 of the ESPN Top 300, while LSU got 20 and FSU got 16, I get a little anxious. And even though we're still 9th on ESPN we're 5th in the SEC. The Early Enrolee class was very impressive, but we closed poorly today and saw other schools, like Texas, Bama & FSU, close very strong. I would say I'm cautiously optimistic with some reason for concern.

I know we were expecting a post first season bump for Mac, and maybe that is what he got.....UM did a number on us, and Mus continued the dismantling process with his incompetence....Mac has started to putting the structure back to together, and is adding players into that structure, but the program wasn't run down over night, and it won't be fixed over night either.

Is it being fixed, though? Are we improving? That is the big question.

Doesn't feel like it at the moment.

That is true but recruits don't care about that as much as you think. Numerous articles have been written about it. The top 3 things recruit care about most is 1. Proximity to home 2. PT 3. Chance to get to the NFL.

Recent history of success while important doesn't play that big a part. You can see this in examples of teams like Tennesee who has been down for more than a decade and yet they're landing Top 5 classes. And Jones has averaged 6 losses a year but is still pulling in talent. FSU was down for a decade before Jimbo got there and started landing top 5 classes. Michigan? Been down more than a decade and they're about to have a top 5 class.

It's all about selling and we only did a 'good' job on that end. We won 10 games (even if it was a mirage), have tons of PT available, the excitement around a new coach, and a loaded in-state class and still came up short. Our class is currently 5th in the SEC. Again it's just ratings and these guys have to prove it on the field but the trend isn't that positive.

That is true but recruits don't care about that as much as you think. Numerous articles have been written about it. The top 3 things recruit care about most is 1. Proximity to home 2. PT 3. Chance to get to the NFL.

Recent history of success while important doesn't play that big a part. You can see this in examples of teams like Tennesee who has been down for more than a decade and yet they're landing Top 5 classes. And Jones has averaged 6 losses a year but is still pulling in talent. FSU was down for a decade before Jimbo got there and started landing top 5 classes. Michigan? Been down more than a decade and they're about to have a top 5 class.

It's all about selling and we only did a 'good' job on that end. We won 10 games (even if it was a mirage), have tons of PT available, the excitement around a new coach, and a loaded in-state class and still came up short. Our class is currently 5th in the SEC. Again it's just ratings and these guys have to prove it on the field but the trend isn't that positive.

I don't disagree, lots of valid points there. I am sure there is a certain amount of luck involved too, just like there is on the field. You can make all the right moves, and still miss some. It is tough too, our conference dominates recruiting, but that also means dominant coaches up and down the list....we shall see how it shakes out.

A few points here...

1. oozie is right, its ok to be 10th, but when 6 ahead of you are yearly opponents, are you doing what you need?

2. Mac is filling needs and landing Plan Bs to fill out the class, putting him ahead of Chump, but is "ahead of Chump" the foal?

3. We are not recruiting as well as we should be. We are still not doing extremely well in state.

4. Most of our celebrating today was 'holding' committs, and some of those were held from the likes of USF and VaTech, again, are these the victories we really want to celebrate?

A few points here...

1. oozie is right, its ok to be 10th, but when 6 ahead of you are yearly opponents, are you doing what you need?

2. Mac is filling needs and landing Plan Bs to fill out the class, putting him ahead of Chump, but is "ahead of Chump" the foal?

3. We are not recruiting as well as we should be. We are still not doing extremely well in state.

4. Most of our celebrating today was 'holding' committs, and some of those were held from the likes of USF and VaTech, again, are these the victories we really want to celebrate?
You're first point is the most critical. Being 10th is great if we played in the ACC or Big 12 etc, but our conference is loading up again. We shall see how this class plays out.

I do think our current ranking is more reflective of our competitiveness....in other words, ranking us based on stars that don't fill needs, or are not going to be big impact players doesn't help. I think this class will do tons to improve our one the field play.

UF was in bad need of a cultural change.

Too many selfish players. Like it or not some of those came from the great Meyer. Many more came from the Muschamp era.

Too many jerks putting smoking weed before the team as well as taking non approved supplements.

Too many worried about twitter likes of self proclaiming DBU, OLU, DEU, blah blah. No flyzone, no run zone, more blah blah blah. #FreeThisGuy #FreeThatGuy only to not play 100% for the guy they freed. Too many DB's getting burned deep by fair QB's, and getting ran over by RB's.

I hope this class is filled with players who make the grades, stay away from mary Jane, take approved supplements, and stay off twitter and prove their worth on the field of play.

The parallels to 2012 are pretty eerie. Good defense, winning games ugly, winning some games lucky, an offense that was absolutely painful to watch, godawful quarterback play, embarrassing defeats to close the year, guys checking themselves out of the bowl game, etc...

Wasn't 2012 Muschamp's 2nd year? Don't forget I believe the talent that was left for Muschamp was much better than what Muschamp left for McElwain. Especially considering the fact that the Oline was in such bad shape.

I know this argument has been beaten to death but with Will Grier we actually looked like a pretty good football team and was showing some promise. When Harris took over then yes it started looking like 2012

Wasn't 2012 Muschamp's 2nd year? Don't forget I believe the talent that was left for Muschamp was much better than what Muschamp left for McElwain. Especially considering the fact that the Oline was in such bad shape.

I know this argument has been beaten to death but with Will Grier we actually looked like a pretty good football team and was showing some promise. When Harris took over then yes it started looking like 2012

Not really accurate. It only seems like we were doing better after what we endured the last 4 years. Just being bad instead of really bad had people on cloud 9. During the games Grier started we had a 6 point victory over ECU, a 14-9 point victory over a UK team that didn't go bowling, and a 1 point victory over an average UT team. We were also in a death struggle 14-7 with a bad Mizzou team before our defense scored and put the game away. A play or two different and we could have easily had 3-4 losses in the stretch of games Grier started. The Ole Miss game severely clouds people's opinion of how well we were actually doing. The facts don't support it.

Not really accurate. It only seems like we were doing better after what we endured the last 4 years. Just being bad instead of really bad had people on cloud 9. During the games Grier started we had a 6 point victory over ECU, a 14-9 point victory over a UK team that didn't go bowling, and a 1 point victory over an average UT team. We were also in a death struggle 14-7 with a bad Mizzou team before our defense scored and put the game away. A play or two different and we could have easily had 3-4 losses in the stretch of games Grier started. The Ole Miss game severely clouds people's opinion of how well we were actually doing. The facts don't support it.

You have a point. Can't argue it.

The jury is out on how can he do with his own players. Did we luck up in our close wins because of the other staffs players? Was out clouded win due to the talent of the previous staff. Was our bad losses due to the lack of talent from the other staff or the lack of coaching.

I know I sound cliche when talking about the cultural change we needed. But we needed it. The judge and jury is still out on how this staff can coach their own players.

Recruiting is definately this staffs weakness. Like I said, our big news was hilding committs

I don't think it's fair to say that yet. They've only had one class on the field so for. I'd say the biggest weakness was failing to maintain a competitive team after a year of preparation.

Reactions: g8rbass94
In perspective, Miles was rumored to be fired and he is crushing us on the recruiting trail. Foley played it safe, we didn't sell the Florida brand with the Mac hire.

In perspective, Miles was rumored to be fired and he is crushing us on the recruiting trail. Foley played it safe, we didn't sell the Florida brand with the Mac hire.
Who would have been a better hire at that time when we were searching for a head coach? Miles has the whole state of Louisiana to him self

You have a point. Can't argue it.

The jury is out on how can he do with his own players. Did we luck up in our close wins because of the other staffs players? Was out clouded win due to the talent of the previous staff. Was our bad losses due to the lack of talent from the other staff or the lack of coaching.

I know I sound cliche when talking about the cultural change we needed. But we needed it. The judge and jury is still out on how this staff can coach their own players.

Definitely all of the above. Our failures aren't all on the staff just like our relative success isn't all because of coaching brilliance either. I thought we'd be poised to make a jump next year but k just don't like our qb situation at all. Ugh.

I think we can make a case this this year the offense and special teams will pretty much be McE players. The defense still has some good Muschamp players on it.

Definitely all of the above. Our failures aren't all on the staff just like our relative success isn't all because of coaching brilliance either. I thought we'd be poised to make a jump next year but k just don't like our qb situation at all. Ugh.

I feel you and respect that.

I don't know how the QB situation truly is. I would love to have a great returning starter or a backup who played spot duty and looked great.

Thing is, we don't know how any of these QB's will pick it up and roll(save Harris) until we actually see them in action.

I hope he did. I was watching it unfold and I will tell you it was very awkward.

Agree. On the surface, it seemed to be a shot at UF/Ole Miss. But I can believe it the other way, too. We took at least two that I know of (Cleveland & Putu) from out that way.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
So, you truly believe this is the class Mac and Co. hoped to end with?

No...but I think falling completely apart at the end of the season reflects much more of a weakness at this point. Our recruiting is not great...our on the field performance, when it should be at it's peak, was a disaster.

I think that sums up the belief of those out of the Gator nation. Mac looked to be a nice hire, but not a Florida style, cutting edge one that really caught folks' attention.

So everyone thinks we still suck
305741.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT