ADVERTISEMENT

Recruitin'

I really don't see too many mistakes being made by the staff as it pertains to need. I am though like some have stated, concerned that maybe we should have held off on letting some of these kids give their verbals so early in the process. I think it's morally reprehensible to give a kid a dream come true, only to rip it away because someone else has a faster 40 time.

From the beginning it seems as we were just happy that kids wanted to play here; and they took some kids that probably were shocked that UF actually wanted them. With that said, I really think Mac for the most part is doing an exceptional job with recruiting and he definitely has a vision for what type of players he wants to develop for his offense.

While recruiting ratings are very inexact, and class size and specific position needs factor greatly as well, there is some data to suggest that stars are important. That said, a finish anywhere in the top 15 can suffice quite well, especially if a top 5 range class comes along from time to time.
I am not dismissing the star system. Again, all other things being equal, one would rather have a class of five star athletes than one comprised of two star athletes. But I do not get too caught up in it.

One thing to keep in mind is that we are one of the few programs who have committed to giving 4-year scholarships. Meaning we aren't gonna regularly over sign and just cut the guys who don't work out like schools like Bama and UT do. So it's way more risky for us to take reaches because if they don't work out we aren't 'processing' them like other schools.
Yet we still have our fair share of transfers and attrition by other means.

BTW, i agree with the four year commitment.

Ostensibly, that was his reason from de committing from Michigan and committing to Florida. UM could not take him as an EE and I guess that even with 11 EEs, we have room for more.

I know the quantity topic has come up on here a few times. Just a couple notes for those not aware. UF can take as many EE's as their full allotment of this year allows. That full allotment UF can take is 28 for this class. 25 for the year plus they are able to count back three from last year's class. So, to answer your comment, UF can take take as many as 28 EE's if their recruits are eligible. My guess is with the quantity already in this class plus other higher rated recruits on the board....UF has a very good chance of inking 28 LOI's come February.

I know the quantity topic has come up on here a few times. Just a couple notes for those not aware. UF can take as many EE's as their full allotment of this year allows. That full allotment UF can take is 28 for this class. 25 for the year plus they are able to count back three from last year's class. So, to answer your comment, UF can take take as many as 28 EE's if their recruits are eligible. My guess is with the quantity already in this class plus other higher rated recruits on the board....UF has a very good chance of inking 28 LOI's come February.

That number 28 is the one that I think is the right one. But I have heard that there is some way we might be able to take 31 or 34. I do not have clarification on that, other than the previous post a page or two back

Last edited:
Here is some clarification;
Clearing up confusion on Florida's maximum class size

6_4111249.jpg

(Photo: 247Sports)
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- How many recruits can Florida take in the 2016 recruiting class? GatorBait.net did some research speaking to various people knowledgeable with NCAA rules and combed over the rulebook ourselves to give you a clearer picture.

The Gators can take a maximum of 28 recruits in the 2016 class. That likely differs from various projections you might have seen, some of which fail to take a few key aspects into account.

We'll take you step by step through NCAA rules and then explain how they apply to Florida's current situation. For each rule, we'll provide the bylaw in question with a link to a PDF of the NCAA rulebook in case you want to check it out.

First off, it's important to understand a couple things about scholarship limits. The NCAA restricts football teams to 85 total scholarships, or "counters," at any given time, as well as an annual limit of 25 "initial counters" (Bylaw 15.5.6.1).

The concept of limiting initial counters exists to essentially force schools into bringing in a responsible amount of players each year, thereby limiting the avenues for schools to seek a competitive edge by pushing out current student-athletes under potentially dubious circumstances to make room for newcomers.

To that effect, in addition to limiting schools to 25 initial counters, the NCAA also restricted schools to signing a maximum of 25 players per class to a national letter of intent or an institutional offer of financial aid between Dec. 1 and May 31 (Bylaw 13.9.2.3).

Some of the confusion recently as it pertains to Florida's potential 2016 class size has come from the fact that the Gators had four 2016 prospects sign enrollment agreements in November, outside of the timeframe specified in the bylaw.

While that means that the Gators could theoretically sign as many as 29 to some form of NLI or financial aid agreement now, it doesn't change the initial counter limit the Gators still must abide by.

It's important to note that distinction between the annual limits on initial counters and signees. That distinction also directly comes into play in calculating Florida's maximum possible class number this year, as we'll explain below.

Recruits signing an NLI or financial aid offer who do not actually end up receiving aid count against the signing limit for the given year but do not affect the initial counter numbers.

Schools are able to find some wiggle room in recruiting class numbers from year to year because the NCAA allows schools to count mid-year enrollees back toward the previous cycle if the school had not reached the annual limit of 25 initial counters (Bylaw 13.9.2.3.1).

For Florida, the numbers work out as follows. The Gators signed 21 players in the 2015 recruiting class. Two of those signees enrolled mid-year and went down as initial counters for the 2014 cycle. Another, athlete D'Anfernee McGriff, failed to qualify. While he counted against Florida's 25-man signing limit in 2015, he did not count against the Gators' 25-man initial counter limit for that cycle.

So the Gators had 18 freshmen who served as initial counters for the 2015 cycle. However, Florida also had four transfers arrive in the offseason that served as initial counters for the 2015 cycle (Bylaw 15.5.6.3.1).

The addition of transfers T.J. McCoy, Mason Halter, Anthony Harrell and Josh Grady gave the Gators 22 initial counters for 2015.

That's where the important distinction of initial counters vs. signees comes into play.

While the Gators had only 18 signees that served as initial counters toward the 2015 cycle, they actually had 22 initial counters total. That means Florida can count a maximum of three players back to the 2015 cycle.

That leaves the Gators room for three initial counters to 2015 as mid-year enrollees (Florida will have several it can designate to count back) and an additional 25 prospects as initial counters in 2016, for a total of 28.

The maximum number of prospects you'll see on Florida's commitment list come national signing day is 28.

The Gators can still early enroll as many prospects as they'd like, but only three can be counted back as initial counters to the 2015 cycle.

If you have any questions, just drop us a line in the comments section below. We'll be happy to answer.

Agreed, I never said we'd end up with a #1 class, and I hope everyone isn't going to be upset if we end up with say a #6 ranked class. That's pretty good, and let's face it a lot of it is subjective.

I think we will end up with a "good" class, not the elite or great classes that build a program for a new coaching staff, and considering the tailwinds we are working with (2nd year bump class, beating expectations on the field, issues with many of our recruiting rivals, playing time available, etc), that would be dissapointing to me.

If we can get into the top 6 or 7 of the 247 Composite rankings, which use the rankings of all the services and thus smooth out of a lot of the biases, I'll be quite content. I don't think that's likely, though.

JFYI - Reese is a 4 star on some services.

2016 Class Rankings: 12-19-15
12 Offense - 12 Defense - 1 Special Teams

#1 Scout - 25 -- 1 - 11 - 11 - 2

#5 Rivals - 25 -- 0 - 8 - 16 - 1

#7 ESPN - 25 -- 0 - 12 - 13 - 0 -- 6 Top 300's

#9 247Sports Composite - 25 -- 0 - 8 - 17 - 0
(I've yet to figure out how 1/5/7 can average out to a #9...)

I think we will end up with a "good" class, not the elite or great classes that build a program for a new coaching staff, and considering the tailwinds we are working with (2nd year bump class, beating expectations on the field, issues with many of our recruiting rivals, playing time available, etc), that would be dissapointing to me.

If we can get into the top 6 or 7 of the 247 Composite rankings, which use the rankings of all the services and thus smooth out of a lot of the biases, I'll be quite content. I don't think that's likely, though.

I think you are correct, to a degree, but don't underestimate the value of a weak SECe. The division is really struggling right now. the three biggest players over the past few years when UF had Muschamp, UGA, Mizzou and USC, are going through major transitions. Tennessee has not risen under Jones and he is potentially on the warm seat if that continues through '16. Kentucky has appeared to have maxed out under Stoops and Vandy is back to being Vandy. Look at what UF has done without much of an offense, as of yet, this past year? They sept the SECeast. The ooc besides FSU is usually a 3-0 proposition. No guarantees, of course, but that is a 9-0 record going before playing the SECw rotation, FSU, and a LSU team that lacks qb play and a coach on an inferno seat going into '16.

The point is, I don't think UF needs to have that elite or great class that you mention to build a dominating SECe program. Win the East with a steadily improving offense over the next couple of years and go into the FSU and SECCG with an ever improving offense. I think the key for UF going forward is on the defensive side of the ball. Can Collins keep pace with what Muschamp built? If he can then UF is going to become extremely competitive over the next couple of seasons.

We do need some elite players to move past FSU, the SECw and any significant chances at the playoff. So, yes, the SECe is weak, but I am not sure winning the SECe is what anyone considers the 'top'. It was great in an unexpected year like this, but soon it will again become unacceptable to lose in Atlanta.

Go review the current Gator roster.
Then review the current Gator recruiting class.
There is, or soon will be, plenty of talent to win it all with the current coaching staff.

What is needed is a STABLE coaching staff for 3-4 years.
After that, the players need to be TEAM committed.
Then they all have to play and coach up to their abilities on game days.

IF so, then all is well, and will end well. :cool:
This is just college football, not brain surgery or rocket science, or a war zone... :rolleyes:
(it's just a game played by kids on a Saturday afternoon) o_O

Poster on another board just posted this. TIFWIW

"Looks like David Webb, the graduate transfer QB from Texas Tech may be headed to the Gators."

We need an entire culture change in the locker room.

I used to be all into the stars and rankings. I do know you win with those types.

However I want kids who go out and give 100% in every game. Even the "meaning less" bowl games and any other game they play including the O&B game. I'm sick of the bitch type players like D-Rob and even VHIII(yesterday anyway) and anybody similar.

Take your cheezy sun shades during a game Jim McElwain. It wasn't that bright. If the players and refs didn't wear them, you don't need them. Act like you want to be there yourself. If you look bored, the players will play bored. Pull the players who aren't performing. You scared of their daddy or something. There is absolutely 0 and I mean ZER-O excuse you leave some of those players in as long as you did yesterday. Pu Treon and at least try something.

I could keep going on but I want this class to be an entire cultural change.

And if any recruit wants to play his selfish games this year, let em loose. I'm serious. I know Cece Jefferson worked out and he played his games. Thank God we didn't get that crybaby Cowart.

Tell you prima Donna players up front to be serious business. None of the old played out crap of ripping off jersey's or tossing hats. Go out and announce that you are signing with the University of Florida. Sign your papers. Fax your papers. The end!

Poster on another board just posted this. TIFWIW

"Looks like David Webb, the graduate transfer QB from Texas Tech may be headed to the Gators."
I have not seen any other verification about this.

But there is *another* transfer brewing

Except for backup depth, I'd pass on a ship for any Grad-xfer QB, and they really don't need anymore UN-USED QB depth imoho. o_O

I wanna see either Trask or Franks win the 2016 QB job.
(one year planning is not really 'planning' imo) :confused:

I despise the timing of this.

I HATE recruiting. I quote the late Pat Tillman:

Tillman was asked by Sun Devils coach Bruce Snyder what
he thought of the recruiting process. "It stinks," Tillman shot
back. "Nobody tells the truth."

So a kid through no fault of his own accepts the offer to go play for Florida because Florida coaches think he's the best they can get. Then when Florida coaches think they can get a better player, the kid who has agreed for months (and in some cases years) is told he'd be better off going elsewhere.

Problem.

It's happening in December of his senior year in high school when his choices will be severely limited.

I DESPISE adults who make six and seven figure salaries lying to children all so that they can win football games.

And don't give me that crap about the children lying to adults. THEY'RE CHILDREN. Adults are held to a higher standard and should be.

Recruiting sucks.

Do you think that kids are screwed if they don't have a top 10 team's offer on their fax machine on the first Wednesday in February? He can sign an offer sheet right up until the first day of class, so if another kid doesn't make the grade, he can still get that offer back. Besides, if the kid can play, he'll have an offer somewhere. If he's got pro potential, the NFL scouts will find him during his career. Meanwhile, not getting to go to a football factory likely means getting a higher quality education. Absolute worst case scenario is he ends up paying to go to school and get an education, but since I am currently helping to pay for two college educations, my sympathy meter for kids that have to pay for school is running on low.

But if it really bothers you, push for an early signing day in August. It won't eliminate the problem, but it will give schools the period from August to February to fill the rest of the class. So, if Florida signs 18 in August, but doesn't get enough OL and LB's, they have 6 months to concentrate on those areas. It will cause a much more focused and much smaller recruiting cycle during the season, and those kids you are worried about have 6 months to find another school with a need for players at their position.

I really don't see too many mistakes being made by the staff as it pertains to need. I am though like some have stated, concerned that maybe we should have held off on letting some of these kids give their verbals so early in the process. I think it's morally reprehensible to give a kid a dream come true, only to rip it away because someone else has a faster 40 time.

From the beginning it seems as we were just happy that kids wanted to play here; and they took some kids that probably were shocked that UF actually wanted them. With that said, I really think Mac for the most part is doing an exceptional job with recruiting and he definitely has a vision for what type of players he wants to develop for his offense.

Conditional Offers: Maybe some of those that appear as 'reaches' were told up front that their ship offer was conditional and not guaranteed. For the border-line kids, that might still be a positive for them. They can point out to another school that they 'had an offer' from UF, which is certainly a plus for them. I don't know that's the case, but it sure seems like it might have been a 'reasonable' thing to do, and some of them will still end up getting their UF ship confirmed on NSD.

IF I was a 2-3 star with an offer from Wake Forest, I'd certainly take an early 'conditional' offer from the Gators, then cross my fingers and hope for the best...

Last edited:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida's final two early enrollees will arrive on campus Sunday, with quarterback Feleipe Franks and defensive back McArthur Burnett set to join the 10 early enrollees who are already on campus.

Burnett had to finish up some academic work to make it in, but Pahokee High School head coach Alphonso Smith said he completed his school work on Thursday and will arrive in Gainesville on Sunday.

Franks, meanwhile, is competing in the Army All-American Bowl on Saturday afternoon before flying back to the state of Florida on Sunday and heading to campus.

Florida's drop-add period to enroll in spring classes ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on Monday.

247Sports reporter Luke Stampini contributed to this report.

Dear Kyle Trask, work hard, study hard, spend time in the film room, work with the receivers every chance you get, cause you've got a REAL chance to be the 2016 starting QB imoho. :cool:

Just because you were a (Top Quality 1b) backup in HS doesn't mean you can't be the starter at UF come Sept. o_O So go for it...

Dear Kyle Trask, work hard, study hard, spend time in the film room, work with the receivers every chance you get, cause you've got a REAL chance to be the 2016 starting QB imoho. :cool:

Just because you were a (Top Quality 1b) backup in HS doesn't mean you can't be the starter at UF come Sept. o_O So go for it...

If a kid can't start in high school, it would be an utter embarrassment if he starts for UF. We would also certainly miss a bowl game. This kid hasn't played meaningful football since middle school. He wouldn't fare well against the SEC.

Reactions: kellylexy
you and that Trask obsession.
If a kid can't start in high school, it would be an utter embarrassment if he starts for UF. We would also certainly miss a bowl game. This kid hasn't played meaningful football since middle school. He wouldn't fare well against the SEC.

While you certainly have a right to your own 'opinions,' it doesn't make them correct.
1. Kid could have been a HS starter IF he had chosen to go to a QB-PP school instead of a QB-DT school.
2. Go watch his Hudi hightlights and then get back to me on 'your opinion' on his demonstrated talent level.
3. Attempting to speak with 'certainty' while entertaining massive ignorance is what is embarrassing imo. ;)

^^^^ snicker :cool:

*grabs popcorn*

And begins to shove it up his (where the sun don't shine),,, creating that look on his face that we've all become so accustomed to.... :eek:

Opinions galore. :confused:
But actual correct information is usually nowhere to be found... :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT