ADVERTISEMENT

Recruitin'

Is there any doubt that Mac has one of those Billy the Big Mouth Bass plaques hanging in his office?

From his Twitter account:
CUixMUeUYAEcEh4.jpg

Feleipe Franks has decommitted from LSU
Rivals lists him as a dual-threat QB and his offer list includes Bama, FSU, Uga, Clemson, Texas, in addition to LSU. I've read here that he is a statue and due to LSU's propensity to recruit mediocre QB's we should look elsewhere.......something's not jiving here.

Rivals lists him as a dual-threat QB and his offer list includes Bama, FSU, Uga, Clemson, Texas, in addition to LSU. I've read here that he is a statue and due to LSU's propensity to recruit mediocre QB's we should look elsewhere.......something's not jiving here.
He's not a statue. He's not a superior athlete or anything like that but he is mobile enough to move around and still be dangerous. LSUs QB don't do any good because of the lousy offensive system they have under Miles. Why do you think Miles is about to get fired? They are tired of all that talent he gets being squandered. The man has the entire state of Louisiana to himself and he can't put a good offense on the field. He's never really had a good offense at LSU. Franks is an early enrollee and he is a much better QB prospect coming out of high school than Treon Harris ever was.

Frank's runs a 4.9. Against college defenses, that's a statue. Even John Brantley was faster. Anyway.

He's not a statue. He's not a superior athlete or anything like that but he is mobile enough to move around and still be dangerous. LSUs QB don't do any good because of the lousy offensive system they have under Miles. Why do you think Miles is about to get fired? They are tired of all that talent he gets being squandered. The man has the entire state of Louisiana to himself and he can't put a good offense on the field. He's never really had a good offense at LSU. Franks is an early enrollee and he is a much better QB prospect coming out of high school than Treon Harris ever was.

Of course he is. Because he's tall and can throw hard. As we all know, that's what determines how good a QB is. Why are you even bringing up Harris anyway in a thread about recruits visiting for the FSU game?

Shortly after making his commitment, Wilson, who was hyping up his teammate’s announcement all day on Twitter, made sure he was one of the first to congratulate him.

But what he also said will please Florida fans.

“He is very proud of me,” Nelson said of Wilson’s message. “He told me that he wasn’t going to Florida by himself. He shot me that text and told me that.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/floridas-newest-commit-may-help-with-landing-5-star

Of course he is. Because he's tall and can throw hard. As we all know, that's what determines how good a QB is. Why are you even bringing up Harris anyway in a thread about recruits visiting for the FSU game?
I've said it a million times I don't care how tall a kid is or how strong of an arm he has in college football. See Leak (short) and Wuerffel (lack of arm strength). Since when did a 40 time have anything to do with if a QB is a statue or not? That was an ignorant comment on your part and I would expect more from somebody who played the game. Franks is not a statue and moves around pretty well. My criticisms of Harris have never once been about his height or lack of arm strength. Are those weaknesses of his? Yes no doubt about it but they aren't the main reasons why he's not a SEC caliber QB. He has many other flaws. I don't think Harris will be our starting QB next season even with Grier being out.

So? I just don't even get why you'd bring up Harris at all in this thread unless you had an axe to grind. And no my comment wasn't inaccurate, it's called projection. He can't run away from HS defenders, he certainly won't against SEC defenses. And a 4.9, which he ran at camp, is extremely slow for any skill player. Defensive tackles run that now. Anyway, he looks like he's coming here so I'll end it with if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Won't be discussing him anymore. We will see in a few years.

Who was a take solely because he may deliver Mack Wilson... And I'm completely ok with that.
Yep, took him to get Wilson. Nelson is a 6'3" corner and is also a very good basketball player. Great athlete. He's rated 3 stars so if you take him to get a 5 star LB I'm ok with it. Looks like Franks to the good guys too.

Oh how I wish I had the hundreds of posts from Paci over the years lauding over Driskel in the exact same manner.

"But but...he's so awesome in high school!"

A 40 time has nothing to do with whether a QB is a statue or not. Tons of QBs in the NFL don't have good 40 times and they aren't statues. I don't consider Tom Brady a statue. I bet he doesn't run a good 40 at all. Franks has good mobility and is far from a statue. He can move around in the pocket and make plays with his feet if necessary.

As for Harris I don't know what will happen to him. I expect he will either transfer or have to change positions. As for Driskel he was recruited to play in an Urban Meyer offense not a Will Muschamp offense. We saw how many offensive players were successful under Muschamp.

A 40 time has nothing to do with whether a QB is a statue or not. Tons of QBs in the NFL don't have good 40 times and they aren't statues. I don't consider Tom Brady a statue. I bet he doesn't run a good 40 at all. Franks has good mobility and is far from a statue. He can move around in the pocket and make plays with his feet if necessary.

As for Harris I don't know what will happen to him. I expect he will either transfer or have to change positions. As for Driskel he was recruited to play in an Urban Meyer offense not a Will Muschamp offense. We saw how many offensive players were successful under Muschamp.

Again, why are we talking about Harris in a recruiting thread? Some of y'all can't let the hate go.

And I know 40 isn't the sole determination of how athletic someone is, but he isn't sudden either. All his athletic measurables for the most part are mediocre. That's verified by testing and easily recognizable in his film. He's a slightly more athletic Zach Mettenberger.

Again, why are we talking about Harris in a recruiting thread? Some of y'all can't let the hate go.

And I know 40 isn't the sole determination of how athletic someone is, but he isn't sudden either. All his athletic measurables for the most part are mediocre. That's verified by testing and easily recognizable in his film. He's a slightly more athletic Zach Mettenberger.

Who cares if he's athletic? Would anyone turn down Tom Brady to get Aaron Rodgers?

Who cares if he's athletic? Would anyone turn down Tom Brady to get Aaron Rodgers?

Yes because Rodgers is better. And it matters because unless you can read defenses and get rid of the ball like a Brady or Manning, pocket QB's are a liability. Very few QB's in the NFL can do it, much less college QB's. So the chances this QB will be able to is slim. Pocket QB's put way too much pressure on the o-line to protect them AND makes it easier on the defense to defend him, they know where he's going to be every snap. Can sed more rushes or play more coverage if they want which makes it harder for them to pass, because they have no fear of him hurting them with his legs. I'm not saying you need to be Mike Vick, but you need some mobility and athletic ability. That can be the difference between a punt and extending a drive on a 3rd and 5 when the defense drops everybody and our QB can't even scramble to pick up 5 yards.

How many QB's are capable of playing from the pocket like a Brady? Look at the trend in the NFL. Recent 1st round picks: Luck (4.6), Cam (4.5), Griffin (4.3), Mariota (4.5), EJ Manuel (4.6), Teddy Bridgewater (4.7), etc., etc. There's a reason for that.

Last edited:
Yes because Rodgers is better. And it matters because unless you can read defenses and get rid of the ball like a Brady or Manning, pocket QB's are a liability. Very few QB's in the NFL can do it, much less college QB's. So the chances this QB will be able to is slim. Pocket QB's put way too much pressure on the o-line to protect them AND makes it easier on the defense to defend him, they know where he's going to be every snap. Can sed more rushes or play more coverage if they want which makes it harder for them to pass, because they have no fear of him hurting them with his legs. I'm not saying you need to be Mike Vick, but you need some mobility and athletic ability. That can be the difference between a punt and extending a drive on a 3rd and 5 when the defense drops everybody and our QB can't even scramble to pick up 5 yards.

How many QB's are capable of playing from the pocket like a Brady? Look at the trend in the NFL. Recent 1st round picks: Luck (4.6), Cam (4.5), Griffin (4.3), Mariota (4.5), EJ Manuel (4.6), Teddy Bridgewater (4.7), etc., etc. There's a reason for that.

1) That's your opinion.
2) You're changing the fact pattern. That is known as a "strawman."
3) "Me thinks he dost protest too much."
4) You're starting to sound like Paco.

I'm going to only offer a slight argument for the above: Luck is beat the hell up, Cam is Cam and is a machine, Mariota will ultimately be hammered, EJ and Teddy both got hammered this weekend, and it wasn't pretty. Yes, they run, but with exception of Cam (because he's generational athlete) and Wilson, the rest of the guys will have a much shorter career in my opinion because of sustained blows by 250lb LBs. It pains me to say it, but Jameis will have a longer career because he's a pocket guy. When I think of successful QBs, I think Brady, Rivers, Brees, Manning, E. Manning, Romo, etc.

So now you have to have a good 40 time to be a good QB? Is that what I'm hearing? LOL That's one of the silliest things I've ever heard.

Look at the teams at the top, most have athletic QBs, and the pro game is even taking them on more and more. Michigan St used two option QBs to beat OSU. Clemson, ND, TCU, OU, tOSU, on and on, all using very athletic QBs. I don't think he is saying 40 times make a good QB, but like he would, I would wager the kid headed to Tennessee does more than Franks. And the die hard pro-stylers like Saban and Harbaugh have anuerisms trying to beat good dual threat guys. The college game has significantly changed, mobility at the QB position is very important.

So now you have to have a good 40 time to be a good QB? Is that what I'm hearing? LOL That's one of the silliest things I've ever heard.

Is that what you took from all that? Wow!

It was simply used as a measure of athleticism, nothing more or less. You want me to post every single athletic measure out there? I kept the point simple for the sake of discussion. The entire argument is that the position is getting more and more athletic, QB's with limited athletic ability are going the way of the dinosaur, and for very good (strategic) reasons. Regardless of system.

Look at the teams at the top, most have athletic QBs, and the pro game is even taking them on more and more. Michigan St used two option QBs to beat OSU. Clemson, ND, TCU, OU, tOSU, on and on, all using very athletic QBs. I don't think he is saying 40 times make a good QB, but like he would, I would wager the kid headed to Tennessee does more than Franks. And the die hard pro-stylers like Saban and Harbaugh have anuerisms trying to beat good dual threat guys. The college game has significantly changed, mobility at the QB position is very important.
I don't disagree with most of your post but Oozie specifically referenced 40 times for Franks and multiple other QBs. FYI Franks isn't a statue that just stands around back there. He's a good enough athlete and can make plays with his feet. Not sure where the statue talk even came from.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT