ADVERTISEMENT

Have you guys done a breakdown yet of how you see Florida's record this year?

Or you’re just smart. Almost every year the SEC owns a majority of the top recruiting classes in the country. Any team is capable of knocking off another.

Thus the oft used phrase, "On any Saturday in the SEC."

Admit it, you had never heard of a school called Towson before this schedule was released.

It sounds more like a company that manufactures parts for tow trucks and heavy machinery than a school.

The alternative is drop the 2-3 gimmees a year and replace them with 'exciting' games like Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State, and see how 'exciting' the 6-7 win season is as compared to the 9-10 win season.

The only thing guaranteed on our schedule is a loss to Miami... other than than that, sadgator is cautiously optimistic...

...oh and the fact that Towson is in our schedule is the most embarrassing and shameful thing sadgator has seen in the last 30 years...

We should honestly be subject to NCAA sanctions for that...
I just realized that you guys are playing 2 FCS teams in a season for the second straight year. WTF? One is bad enough for any of us but 4 in 2 years? Shouldn’t even be able to count those as wins period. That’s embarrassing and I’m sure most of you will admit and agree to that.

Why? Everybody but the Big 10 who put in place that rule a few years ago does it. Until the NCAA outlaws it, which will never happen, you're putting your school at a disadvantage by not scheduling them.

Take our schedule this year for example, we play 8 straight weeks before a bye. Let's say we swap those two FSC teams out with a Texas or Ohio State or somebody. We'd be playing teams like Miami, Auburn, LSU, Texas, Ohio St., etc. week after week with no bye. And for what purpose? So some fan on a message board can be happier? It's nonsensical in every aspect. This isn't the gladiators. Sad has bitched about that for years and he's just wrong. UF's schedule is consistently ranked as one of the best in the country, they don't need to apologize to anybody.

Reactions: instaGATOR
The only reason it even 'looks' bad is because FSU and Miami aren't their usual selves. In an ordinary year for both UF would have an OOC with two top 10-15 caliber teams on the schedule plus their usual SEC schedule. Who gives a shit if they schedule two cupcakes in between all that? Nobody could predict FSU and Miami being in their current state when the game was scheduled years ago.

Why? Everybody but the Big 10 who put in place that rule a few years ago does it. Until the NCAA outlaws it, which will never happen, you're putting your school at a disadvantage by not scheduling them.

Take our schedule this year for example, we play 8 straight weeks before a bye. Let's say we swap those two FSC teams out with a Texas or Ohio State or somebody. We'd be playing teams like Miami, Auburn, LSU, Texas, Ohio St., etc. week after week with no bye. And for what purpose? So some fan on a message board can be happier? It's nonsensical in every aspect. This isn't the gladiators. Sad has bitched about that for years and he's just wrong. UF's schedule is consistently ranked as one of the best in the country, they don't need to apologize to anybody.
You were not one of those I thought would defend it. I can see playing one, but not in every season. But two in the same season? Let’s say it’s playoff time and you’re a 1 or 2 loss team trying to get in. What do you think happens? I don’t like any SEC top tier program playing those games, but the only team I can recall this level of dropping down is you guys. Georgia has had some shit OOC too, but this is indefensible imo.

The only reason it even 'looks' bad is because FSU and Miami aren't their usual selves. In an ordinary year for both UF would have an OOC with two top 10-15 caliber teams on the schedule plus their usual SEC schedule. Who gives a shit if they schedule two cupcakes in between all that? Nobody could predict FSU and Miami being in their current state when the game was scheduled years ago.
There’s a difference between G5 and FCS. You know that as well as anyone.

You were not one of those I thought would defend it. I can see playing one, but not in every season. But two in the same season? Let’s say it’s playoff time and you’re a 1 or 2 loss team trying to get in. What do you think happens? I don’t like any SEC top tier program playing those games, but the only team I can recall this level of dropping down is you guys. Georgia has had some shit OOC too, but this is indefensible imo.

I just gave you why there are two for this particular year...because we're playing both Miami and FSU OOC. I don't know of too many schools playing two P5 teams OOC in a given year, it rarely happens. Plus the way our schedule sets up it serves as an additional bye.

There’s a difference between G5 and FCS. You know that as well as anyone.

Ok so let's say we swap out those two FCS teams for two G5 teams, all 12 games on our schedule would be vs. P5 or G5 teams, something nobody but BIG teams are doing. So again, why should UF be expected to do something that all but 14 schools in the country aren't doing? To get praised on a message board? You guys don't spend enough time looking at other schedules when you make these complaints.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Alabama is playing Duke, NM State, Southern Miss, and Western Carolina OOC. The top FCS teams would beat NM State and Southern Miss for example.

If you actually care to look at the OOC slates for the top teams the trend for the 4 OOC games is usually 1 P5 team, 2 G5 caliber teams, and 1 FCS team. Adding an additional FCS team in a year where we play 2 P5 teams is not some huge deal, its offset by the additional P5 team we're playing. It's not some every year thing nor is it egregious.

I just gave you why there are two for this particular year...because we're playing both Miami and FSU OOC. I don't know of too many schools playing two P5 teams OOC in a given year, it rarely happens. Plus the way our schedule sets up it serves as an additional bye.

Ok so let's say we swap out those two FCS teams for two G5 teams, all 12 games on our schedule would be vs. P5 or G5 teams, something nobody but BIG teams are doing. So again, why should UF be expected to do something that all but 14 schools in the country aren't doing? To get praised on a message board? You guys don't spend enough time looking at other schedules when you make these complaints.
Do you really need TWO of those? It’s not two or nothing. Wanna show me who else is playing two?

See my post above. Show me all the teams playing two P5 schools OOC, that list is equally as small year-to-year. I understand why you're trying to make it more than what it is though.

See my post above. Show me all the teams playing two P5 schools OOC, that list is equally as small year-to-year. I understand why you're trying to make it more than what it is though.
I can tell you one without looking it up. Care to guess?

To further illustrate my point, these are the preseason top 10 ranked teams and how many P5 teams they're playing OOC in parentheses:

1. Clemson (1), also playing Wofford and Charlotte OOC
2. Bama (1)
3. UGA (2)
4. OU (1)
5. Ohio St. (0)
6. ND (Not sure how to qualify this since they're independent)
7. Texas (1)
8. UF (2)
9. Michigan (1)
10. Oregon (1)

So UF is one of exactly two schools in the top 10 who is playing 2 P5 teams OOC, god forbid we offset one of those games with an additional FCS. If you look at the top 25, it's even worse. There are plenty of schools who don't even play ONE P5 team OOC. Like I said you guys don't spend enough time looking at schedules all across the country if you think this is some big deal. If UF wasn't playing two P5 schools OOC this year I'd have an issue with it, not this year though. I'm all for outlawing games against FCS for everybody though if we want to go that route.

Reactions: sadgator
I can tell you one without looking it up. Care to guess?

Didn't have to guess, already knew. Please don't act like that's the norm for y'all over the years though, that's the case for us every time we have Miami on the schedule. The other aspect not being taken into consideration, unsurprisingly, is the number of home games. Without those two FCS teams we'd be looking at 4 home games in a year like this one, 5 tops. Fans may not give a shit because they don't have to pay the bills, but the AD does.

Look no further than our game in Jacksonville where your coach is pushing to have it be home-and-home because you only have 5 games every other year because of the game being neutral site. Well this year we have TWO neutral site games. UF will make less on both than if they had a home game. So like I said previously, those moves would only serve to make fans happy, its not in the best interest of the AD.

Reactions: bradleygator
UFs schedule is typically one of the toughest in the country year in and year out. I’m fine with it. Put it this way our schedule has never ever hurt us. I can think of many times our difficult schedule has helped us.

Didn't have to guess, already knew. Please don't act like that's the norm for y'all over the years though, that's the case for us every time we have Miami on the schedule. The other aspect not being taken into consideration, unsurprisingly, is the number of home games. Without those two FCS teams we'd be looking at 4 home games in a year like this one, 5 tops. Fans may not give a shit because they don't have to pay the bills, but the AD does.

Look no further than our game in Jacksonville where your coach is pushing to have it be home-and-home because you only have 5 games every other year because of the game being neutral site. Well this year we have TWO neutral site games. UF will make less on both than if they had a home game. So like I said previously, those moves would only serve to make fans happy, its not in the best interest of the AD.
Nope,not the norm. But I’d be willing to bet there’s never been a season with 2 in one season. Some might argue UMass and other assorted turds are no better than the NDSU and James Madison’s of the world. But there is a difference in resources, schollies, and personnel. We aren’t gonna convince each other to switch, but I’d be pissed as a season ticket holder to be shelling out good money for that. You lay FSU every year, so that’s known going in and adding UM is less known, but it seems your AD is taking a different approach. The 5 games thing fir Georgia won’t kick in until 2023 when the Clemson, OU, etc. games start, so I fully expect there will be a push to kill Jax, and I’m cool with that. Play the games at home and to hell with old Dawgs that want a beach trip in late October/ early November.

I just think at some point the CFP will get off the won loss record alone and look at quality of opponents as equal or better criteria.

Like who is going to the Towson game?!?!?

sadgator is serious.

Can you imagine actually building a full weekend around that? sadgator loves going up to Gainesville more than any other activity on the planet, but sadgator’d almost rather go on a non-game weekend than to witness that lame-o scene. Towson?!?!?!?!? Who the F...?!?!?! Baffling. A standard single seat ticket to that game can’t cost more than $20, can it?

Like who is going to the Towson game?!?!?

sadgator is serious.

Can you imagine actually building a full weekend around that? sadgator loves going up to Gainesville more than any other activity on the planet, but sadgator’d almost rather go on a non-game weekend than to witness that lame-o scene. Towson?!?!?!?!? Who the F...?!?!?! Baffling. A standard single seat ticket to that game can’t cost more than $20, can it?
Families that have young children.

Reactions: Dannygator1989
Admit it, you had never heard of a school called Towson before this schedule was released.

It sounds more like a company that manufactures parts for tow trucks and heavy machinery than a school.

Sure. They used to be called Towson State.

And considering where it is, it's helpful for keeping the schedule manageable. I remember back in the day we would play 2 OOC to start the year and 2 OOC to end the year, and 8 SEC games in a row in the middle. That's a GRIND.

This year, it's Miami, then an FCS, 2 SEC games, then an FCS, 3 SEC games, a bye week, 3 SEC games, a bye week, then FSU. It's all broken up nicely. Anybody nicked can have the week off to heal against the FCS and starters get rest while we build some depth.

There's no rule that says UF has to play a dozen games against murderer's row while everybody else skates by. It's ok for us to have a manageable schedule too.

Wouldn’t you love to have been a fly on the wall when the Assistant AD (let’s call him Jimmy) suggested to Stricklin to add Towson to the schedule? Let’s imagine:

Jimmy: “Hey Boss, I got a call from Towson this morning.”

SS: “Tell them we’re not interested; we have an exclusive deal with Billy’s Towing for those services.”

Jimmy: “No, no Boss...to play us in football.”

SS: “Did you give ‘em UCF’s number?”

Jimmy: “[Heh-Heh] Good one Boss.” Look, uhhhh, we do have that extra game to fill next season, and it would be a pretty easy game.”

SS: “Towson, seriously; What the hell is that, a prison?!?!?”

Jimmy: “No it’s a school from around Baltimore, Maryland.”

SS: “Pretty much the same thing.”

Jimmy: “[Heh-Heh] On fire today, Boss! Look, without a home and home, it’s just getting ridiculously hard to find teams to schedule. We can’t even get Western Kansas School of Animal Husbandry to call us back. We really need to take what we can get. And look, it’s Towson, Mullen can probably get away with playing 8 or 9 guys a side and rest all our good guys.”

SS: “Can we blame Mac for this? [Makes bucktoothed face in jest] They’re not the sharks are they? Maybe we can do a T-Shirt promotion or something to pack them in.”

Jimmy: “No Boss; They’re the Tigers.”

SS: “Well, at least we’ll beat one Tigers team on our schedule this year; Make it happen.”

Jimmy: “Got it Boss!”

Last edited:
Nope,not the norm. But I’d be willing to bet there’s never been a season with 2 in one season. Some might argue UMass and other assorted turds are no better than the NDSU and James Madison’s of the world. But there is a difference in resources, schollies, and personnel. We aren’t gonna convince each other to switch, but I’d be pissed as a season ticket holder to be shelling out good money for that. You lay FSU every year, so that’s known going in and adding UM is less known, but it seems your AD is taking a different approach. The 5 games thing fir Georgia won’t kick in until 2023 when the Clemson, OU, etc. games start, so I fully expect there will be a push to kill Jax, and I’m cool with that. Play the games at home and to hell with old Dawgs that want a beach trip in late October/ early November.

I just think at some point the CFP will get off the won loss record alone and look at quality of opponents as equal or better criteria.

Well like I said fans can be upset but at the end of the day the AD has to look out tor what’s in the best interest in the program, not schedule so some fans on a message board can be happy. In years where we’d end up having only 4 or 5 home games those same fans would bitch about having to spend money to travel. Fans want the best stadium atmospheres’s, facilities for recruiting, etc and that isn’t paid for giving up all the lost revenue from home games.

Every decent G5 teams now want a home-and-home or a neutral site game these days. So like I mentioned earlier even if we swap those two games with G5 teams we’d be playing all 12 games against P5 or G5 schools, something nobody is doing. I’m not sure why UF is supposed to go above and beyond when most teams aren’t even playing a single P5 team OOC. Ohio St. has one of the top 3 most talented rosters in football and isn’t playing a single P5 team OOC. There are a few schools in the top 25 who fall in the same boat. So no I’m not gonna be upset about UF adding an extra FCS game in a year when they play 2 P5 teams OOC plus their usual SEC schedule. At last check I believe UF and UGA are the only schools in the top 15 playing 2 P5 OOC. So I’m fine for this year.

Wouldn’t you love to have been a fly on the wall when the Assistant AD (let’s call him Jimmy) suggested to Stricklin to add Towson to the schedule? Let’s imagine:

Jimmy: “Hey Boss, I got a call from Towson this morning.”

SS: “Tell them we’re not interested; we have an exclusive deal with Billy’s Towing for those services.”

Jimmy: “No, no Boss...to play us in football.”

SS: “Did you give ‘em UCF’s number?”

Jimmy: “[Heh-Heh] Good one Boss.” Look, uhhhh, we do have that extra game to fill next season, and it would be a pretty easy game.”

SS: “Towson, seriously; What the hell is that, a prison?!?!?”

Jimmy: “No it’s a school from around Baltimore, Maryland.”

SS: “Pretty much the same thing.”

Jimmy: “[Heh-Heh] On fire today, Boss! Look, without a home and home, it’s just getting ridiculously hard to find teams to schedule. We can’t even get Western Kansas School of Animal Husbandry to call us back. We really need to take what we can get. And look, it’s Towson, Mullen can probably get away with playing 8 or 9 guys a side and rest all our good guys.

SS: “Can we blame Mac for this? [Makes bucktoothed face in jest] They’re not the sharks are they? Maybe we can do a T-Shirt promotion or something to pack them in.”

Jimmy: “No Boss; They’re the Tigers.”

SS: “Well, at least we’ll beat one Tigers team on our schedule this year; Make it happen.”

Jimmy: “Got it Boss!”
This is gold.

Towson was leading LSU at half a few years ago...they are a solid FCS team. But anyone asking us to apologize for our schedule is ignorant, or just plain stupid...which describes most dawgs on this board.

No homerism in this post. UT is a toss, a team you beat by what 30? Just the same as Missouri who beat you by 21, and UGA is also a toss up, even though we beat you by 19 and return 15 starters, yeah that makes sense.

Good lord... Will u moron BGeorgia fans realize YOU LOST TO TEXAS.....Literally anything is possible for you guys. Stop shitting ur pants in big games.

This is sadgator’s favorite fact about Towson as cited on Wikipedia...

According to school newspaper The Towerlight, when the Student Government Association first bought the tiger statue that sits outside Cook Library in 1996, the organization hoped to boost school spirit. Instead, it became subject to vandalism and disrepair. In March 2006, after several acts of vandalism, the statue was completely removed from in front of the library.

In September 2006, the Towerlight reported that a new bronze tiger statue had been unveiled as the centerpiece of the university's "Capital Campaign" to raise $50 million. The primary difference between the new statue and previous one is that the new one is made of bronze and all of the legs are on the ground and the tail is wrapped around its legs rather than raised, so it won't get damaged by vandals.

Old...
Towson-Tiger-Mascot-presentation-066-1024x683.jpg

New...

tiger-stephens-sq.jpg

only a Fla fan would consider an ACC opponent top caliber. Clemson 's ACC championship opponent was 7-5. :rolleyes:

Here are some early lines for the Gators. Favored in 3 of the 5 and never more than a 4 pt dog:

Aug. 24: UF (-7.5) over Miami
Sept. 21: UF (-14.5) over. Tennessee
Oct. 5: UF (-7.5) vs Auburn
Oct. 12: LSU (-2.5) vs UF
Nov. 2: Georgia (-4) vs UF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT