ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Mullen Opinions Here

How do you rank the potential hire of Dan Mullen?

• A) Grand Slam a la Chip Kelly level

• B) Triple a la Frost level

• C) Double a la Norvell level

• D) Single a la he had a losing record in the SEC at MSU, but will get better talent at UF.

• E) bunt for an out a la he has been ok at MSU and that will probably be a similar result at UF

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would have never took him. All he has really shown is he can beat teams like Ole Miss and Kentucky. I remember many people arguing Mac being Bama's OC previously justified him but I am just not buying it even though I will always root for my Gators.

I'm not sure Kelly would have been a grand slam hire. Big splash - Yes! But with baggage, a failed excursion to the NFL, a quirky, surly attitude (somewhat like many on the board are accusing Mullen of having), no connection to the SEC or the South. He may have been a big success, but there were risks. And those who are absolutely sure he would have won big at Florida are just speculating, as am I. Same with Frost. Offensive guru who has done amazing things in 2 years at UCF, but with no experience being CEO of a major P5 program and handling the stress of dealing with the fishbowl that is the University of Florida. Dan Mullen has been here, won rings at UF and has turned a perennial doormat in Starkville into a consistently winning program for 9 years. He knows how to recruit the South and run an SEC program. Safe hire and could very well turn out to be a great hire. Time will tell.

I'm not sure Kelly would have been a grand slam hire. Big splash - Yes! But with baggage, a failed excursion to the NFL, a quirky, surly attitude (somewhat like many on the board are accusing Mullen of having), no connection to the SEC or the South. He may have been a big success, but there were risks. And those who are absolutely sure he would have won big at Florida are just speculating, as am I. Same with Frost. Offensive guru who has done amazing things in 2 years at UCF, but with no experience being CEO of a major P5 program and handling the stress of dealing with the fishbowl that is the University of Florida. Dan Mullen has been here, won rings at UF and has turned a perennial doormat in Starkville into a consistently winning program for 9 years. He knows how to recruit the South and run an SEC program. Safe hire and could very well turn out to be a great hire. Time will tell.
At least there will be no yellow teeth and "boy gee golly! Wasn't that cool?"

The Mullen formula for sucess has been to load up on 4 OOC cupcakes per year to pad his win loss column, then lose more than half of his SEC games. That will get you 7 to 8 wins per year, which is what he's done. Even with top 25 recruits, he's never sniffed a division or conference title and got smoked in his only meaningful bowl appearance. We've just hired out own version of Mark Richt.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Mullen, while perhaps not the home run hire many Gator fans have been hoping for, is clearly an upgrade over your last two coaching hires, especially the last one.

We have Miss State as our permanent cross division opponent, and he is 8-1 against us in his tenure. A cynic might say he owes some of his success to UKs ineptitude, but he’s probably reached his ceiling at State, and is ready for the challenge.

While this change gives me a glimmer of hope that State might slink back to UKs level, I now wonder when or if I’ll ever live to see another UK win over the Gators.

Man, this is the year it should have happened for you guys. In a strange way I feel bad for you that it happened the way it did

Reactions: ukalum1988
The most by far is D) single. B, C, and E are all pretty even with 6, 6, and 5. There are no votes for A. Average seems to be somewhere between a single and a double. Kelly and Frost were obviously the coaches of choice, but most feel Mullen still has a pretty good chance of improving the program. How much improvement is the burning question.

Nick Saban at Michigan State, just for context:

Year School
1995 Michigan State 6-5-1
1996 Michigan State 6-6
1997 Michigan State 7-5
1998 Michigan State 6-6
1999 Michigan State 9-2

So asides from 1999, he was the definition of mediocre in 5 seasons, and Michigan State is a historically far better program than Mississippi State. Same with James Franklin. Sometimes 9-4 and 8-5 is the best you can do at certain schools, and Mullen did all he could with the Bulldogs and then some. He was better than Saban was at his first stop.

Now, I'm not saying Mullen is Saban, so please don't take it out of context, but some programs just have a certain ceiling that no coach can do anything more with. I love the hire, I think Mullen will kill it here.

I'm happy. The guy wanted to be here and it didn't take a flight of all administration plus the kitchen sink to get him here.

He's basically maxed out at State. I can't remember the thread but I saw someone say he hasn't truly done more with less because he has had top 25 classes. They are to ignorant to realize recruiting top 24 classes at a program that has less is a major accomplishment. Plus he has had a hand in tutoring QB's such as Alex Smith, Tim Tebow, Dak Prescott, and did a good job developing Fitzgerald.

He won't be losing to the Missouri's of the world having Fla prep talent.

Now that he is hired, fan opinions are not important now, all that matters is getting football back to the championship level that so many of our other teams are at. If not in Portland, stay up tonight and watch our hoops team take it to (current) #1 Duke.
Go Gators, be proud and loud!

I'm happy. The guy wanted to be here and it didn't take a flight of all administration plus the kitchen sink to get him here.

He's basically maxed out at State. I can't remember the thread but I saw someone say he hasn't truly done more with less because he has had top 25 classes. They are to ignorant to realize recruiting top 24 classes at a program that has less is a major accomplishment. Plus he has had a hand in tutoring QB's such as Alex Smith, Tim Tebow, Dak Prescott, and did a good job developing Fitzgerald.

He won't be losing to the Missouri's of the world having Fla prep talent.

That and it's all relative. A top 25 class doesn't bring you shit when you have teams like Bama, Auburn, LSU, and A&M who are regularly in the top 5 and top 10. We saw that here with McElwain. Everybody was all "what's wrong with a top 15 class?" Compared to everyone else? Nothing. But when half the SEC is in the top 10, a top 15 class ain't getting you anywhere much less a class at the back end of the top 25.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Very good coach. Good hire but not a splash hire. Miss St is traditionally the worst program in the SEC West. What he did there is very impressive. Needs some good recruiters on staff
Exactly what I thought...and they need to give him money so that he can hire a great staff.

Brindise is more ticked off than me. He will get over it in a few days probably. I have kind of resigned myself to hoping I end up being shocked at the results in a good way.

Sounds like there must be some high up boosters really mad about this hire for him to be going off like this. I think he is good friends with some of them.

I think Mullen is going to go for it. There will be no excuses like we had under the Mac- Champ coaches period and we FINALLY get a prolific offense again. We saw Frost run over trash teams and although Kelly did get to some Bcs games he never got a ring. Im all in! Not to mention he is young and not a fatass like Kelly while Saban is getting older and won't be around forever.

FSU fans do not get to make polls on our site.

Get the frack out of here you fracking troll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT