ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

You know the routine by now. You know the song. Are you really surprised that UF choked and gave up a 17 point lead? I'm not. I literally chuckled outloud when I saw the final outcome. It was not in the ha-ha sense.

Yea, UK is a good team, but that's no excuse. This is a trend that even bad teams like UGA can come back and win despite losing by 22. If USC didn't lose today to Vandy.........UF would be tied in SEC standing with them..........let that sink in. USC is NOT a good team.

I don't want to hear nonsense of excuses of "well if they made their shots" .........that's a losing mentality. That could be said to the teams that UF has beaten to cheer them up. That's a moral victory of the most embarrassing kind.

I'm not hating on White for the sake of it. In fact, I think there's more of an issue with the players than there is with the coaching. Don't blame the collapse on a uf player getting hurt.......6th man up. Few teams have the excuse of winning or losing because of one player. UF isn't one of those....there's too much talent on the roster to have that excuse.

Last edited:
Bad, bad loss. Everything to play for and finish and no go. No leadership from top or on staff. Similar result expected in next tournament play. Too much talent for this. This season cost Blackshear millions based on what was said about him before he came South. Players deserved better - no direction or development and bad system with no awareness to adapt.

Well, it did help UKs comeback when Blackshear went out for the game - I don’t think that comeback happens if Blackshear has been on floor a lot more

Damn..........just damn. An entire season's microcosm today. Frittered away potential on exhibit........all in the confines of 40 minutes.o_O

Not trolling. Tell me why they belong?

They've disappointed, but the strength of their sos, rpi, etc along with with not having an utterly horrible record is enough to get them in. UF has had worse seasons and still got in.

This team definitely should be in.....but one of the last available seeds.

Reactions: kl40504
Well, it did help UKs comeback when Blackshear went out for the game - I don’t think that comeback happens if Blackshear has been on floor a lot more
You wouldn’t have had that kind of lead if Ashton Hagans had played. He’s a finalist for the National Defensive Player of The Year .

Nobody is really surprised by that game correct. I mean it is a Mike White coached team.

We are going to end up 4th or 5th in the SEC in basketball. Pretty disappointing season.

Here are White’s finishes in regards to the SEC standings in his 5 years. 8th, 2nd, 3rd, 8th & 4th/5th. Not very good IMO.

Unbelievable though I didn't get to see it on TV. Now unless Ole Miss makes a comeback Miss State gets the 4 seed over us.

You wouldn’t have had that kind of lead if Ashton Hagans had played. He’s a finalist for the National Defensive Player of The Year .
I heard his girlfriend dumped him and he was too emotionally distraught to play. Any truth to that rumor?

What’s the prognosis on Blackshear? Seriously injured? Hate to see athletes get injured but unfortunately it’s going to happen to random guys at random, inopportune times.
It didn't look serious. I was surprised he couldn't continue.

I didn't see the game (in Orlando for a granddaughter's birthday) and glad I didn't. Lead the entire game, up by 18 in the 2nd half, fall behind with a tip in with 11.8 seconds left, have 2 possessions to win and can't get it done. Disappointing for sure.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Looking again at the bracket it appears the winner of Georgia and Ole Miss we get first and then Miss State the next game if we advance.

18 point lead blown...geez

I dont care what anyone says.....there is ZERO excuses to blow an 18 point lead in the second half. I dont care if it's the worst team in Division 1 basketball finding itself with that lead while playing the top ranked team....you better finish.

I'm getting UGA flashbacks from this game. How many points did UGA rally from? 22 or 23?

How big of a lead does UF really need in order to feel secure in the second half? 40 points?

Looking again at the bracket it appears the winner of Georgia and Ole Miss we get first and then Miss State the next game if we advance.
You are right, sir. We are the #5 seed, 11.8 seconds from being the #2 seed. We play the winner of Georgia/Ole Miss Thursday afternoon and if we win would play Miss. St. Friday afternoon. Win that game it's probably a rematch with Kentucky in the semifinals.

You are right, sir. We are the #5 seed, 11.8 seconds from being the #2 seed. We play the winner of Georgia/Ole Miss Thursday afternoon and if we win would play Miss. St. Friday afternoon. Win that game it's probably a rematch with Kentucky in the semifinals.

Trying to guess the seed depending on what we do. Miss State will probably need to beat us to get in the tourney so that will be a tough game if we do advance.

We are going to end up 4th or 5th in the SEC in basketball. Pretty disappointing season.

...and so if we had placed 2nd, like we were 11 seconds away from doing, it wouldn’t be a disappointing season, HuH?!?!?

Not saying that there aren’t some legitimate concerns in the up and down nature of their play, and not saying that the way they lost yesterday wasn’t a epic letdown...but your criteria for what constitutes a “disappointing season” is flawed and over-exaggerated....

From a non-Gator fan perspective, with the incoming talent at the start of the season, I would have to say 19-12 is underachieving. At the start of the season I really thought UK, UF, and Auburn would be in the mix for the regular season championship; by the same token a fifth place finish is another reflection of underachievement.
Yes we underachieved big time this year. Not sure how anybody can say otherwise. IMO the SEC is average at best as well. Here we are again like the last several years just “hoping” to get to 20 wins. We will see how we finish up but very good change that White enters the season next year squarely on the hot seat.
There has been a change in the mood in Gainesville as well in the admin about White. He’s losing support from some of his biggest supporters.

Crazy how this team folds, all coaching IMO, we have talent and good players. I'll let the season play out but no confidence in our ability to sustain success. We need to do well in the sec tournament

Yep this team underachieved with the talent it had and the schedule. Just off the top off my head I think the LSU, Auburn and Providence wins will be the only wins against NCAA tourney at large teams unless Xavier has a good conference tournament.

White can make it all forgotten this year with a Sweet 16 run but short of that it's a real big disappointment.

...and so if we had placed 2nd, like we were 11 seconds away from doing, it wouldn’t be a disappointing season, HuH?!?!?

Not saying that there aren’t some legitimate concerns in the up and down nature of their play, and not saying that the way they lost yesterday wasn’t a epic letdown...but your criteria for what constitutes a “disappointing season” is flawed and over-exaggerated....
I don't disagree with this, however, with the talent, preseason 6 ranking, this is a big time flop. No way to sugar coat it. We had two epic comebacks this year, but we also blew two big leads at home and lost. 18 to KY yesterday and the 16 point lead to MSU earlier this year.

A 12 loss regular season record with some horrible losses, fighting for their lives against average teams,.......and only a few games ago was going to possibly be on the bubble..... is a disappointing season, regardless where UF places itself in the mediocre SEC conference.

One more loss and we would be anxious on whether or not UF would even be invited to the tournament.

If you wanna think that that UF's NCAA tourny seeding will be based only on what conference ranking they end up in......then you're wrong.

Last edited:
They definitely needed that win yesterday...it is hard to downplay the magnitude of how important it was to close out that game....

As for the SECT....we don’t historically perform well in it, so sadgator doesn’t have his hopes up...plus this team seems pretty incapable of going on multi-game win streaks...

But if they get one more and get to 20, we should at least be “happy” on Selection Sunday....

It doesn’t make sense, but it is what it is. We were 11 seconds away from a second place regular season SEC finish, a bye and a 2 seed in the SECT and a good chance at climbing to a 6 or 7 seed in the NCAAT, which probably keeps us playing into the second week at least. Instead, we have an extra game and a tough SECT draw and probably an 8 or 9 seed where we will likely lose on the first weekend. Some games are bigger than others and that one was as big a regular season outcome as I can remember and we choked it bad.

Reactions: sadgator
They definitely needed that win yesterday...it is hard to downplay the magnitude of how important it was to close out that game....

As for the SECT....we don’t historically perform well in it, so sadgator doesn’t have his hopes up...plus this team seems pretty incapable of going on multi-game win streaks...

But if they get one more and get to 20, we should at least be “happy” on Selection Sunday....

Just looked at the tourney and knowing how the NCAA adjusts seedings just a little in the back end to get teams closer to the fans in the opening round don't be surprised if we are the 10 seed in Tampa (South Region) with FSU the 2 seed in Tampa if they aren't knocked out immediately in their tournament.

One thing you can guarantee in the SEC. If Florida is "in" and they are playing a team that needs a win to be "in", they will win. It's not really a Florida thing, it's really an "everybody but Kentucky" thing. It just seems to be UF a lot because we are the team that, besides Kentucky, gets in the tournament regularly.

The SEC works to get the most teams in as possible, and doesn't care about seeding. Except for Kentucky. The SEC wants enough teams in that they don't get called weak, and they want a Kentucky team being talked about as a contender. Birmingham sees 5-6 SEC teams in, with UK a #1 seed and everybody else a whatever seed, as the perfect tournament scenario. Obviously it doesn't happen every year, but it's still the goal. When you know what to look for, game outcomes become very easy to predict.

So look for a UF win in the first game, and a loss to a bubble MSU team in the second game.

One thing you can guarantee in the SEC. If Florida is "in" and they are playing a team that needs a win to be "in", they will win. It's not really a Florida thing, it's really an "everybody but Kentucky" thing. It just seems to be UF a lot because we are the team that, besides Kentucky, gets in the tournament regularly.

The SEC works to get the most teams in as possible, and doesn't care about seeding. Except for Kentucky. The SEC wants enough teams in that they don't get called weak, and they want a Kentucky team being talked about as a contender. Birmingham sees 5-6 SEC teams in, with UK a #1 seed and everybody else a whatever seed, as the perfect tournament scenario. Obviously it doesn't happen every year, but it's still the goal. When you know what to look for, game outcomes become very easy to predict.

So look for a UF win in the first game, and a loss to a bubble MSU team in the second game.

I agree the refs won't be our friends if we face a bubble Miss State team that needs that win to get in.

Waiting for the "Mike White doesn't miss any shots" logic.

because some people apparently don't understand how coaching works.

could be worse. Could be UNC having the worst season I can remember. Really bizarre yesterday when the Duke and North Carolina game came on and there was literally nothing at stake because somehow UNC is the worst team in the ACC.

At the same time, we had a massive lead that we managed to blow. Par for the course.

minus the LSU upset, I was a game off of my 18 win regular season prediction back in January.

I don't think Florida is guaranteed a spot in the NCAA tournament yet. If they lose their 1st game in the SEC tournament and a couple of more upsets occur in conference tournaments around the country, the Gators could find their bubble burst. Yesterday Utah State, which beat Florida earlier in the year and probably wouldn't have gotten a bid, upset potential #1 seed San Diego Sate in their conference tourney championship game, locking up a bid that otherwise would have gone to someone else.

PF/C Kerry Blackshear - 0 Pts 0/4 FG, 5 Rbs, 2 PF, 1 Ast, 1 TO in 12 Min, then injured.
I felt sorry for Kerry. That's an ugly way to go out of the O'Dome on Senior Day...
Too bad that crappy coach didn't coach him up better for that game.... :rolleyes:

SG Noah Locke 3/8 3's .375 -- 14 Pts - 0 Ast to 2 TO

PF Keyontae Johnson 12 Pts - 5/8 FG, 1/1 3's, 3 Rbs - 3 Ast to 1 TO

PG Andrew Nembhard 3/7 FG -- 7 Pts -- 8 Ast to 1 TO

PF/C Omar Payne 6 Pts, 3/4 FG - 3 RB - 3 Blk in 20 Min.
A nice return to playing time for Omar.

PF Dontay Bassett 4 Pts - 1/1 FG - 2/2 FT - 1 Ast to 0 TO in 6 Min
While not a star, he's always a solid, hard working presents off the bench.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT