ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

15 assists to only 8 turnovers vs. Georgia. The assist to turnover ratio is a key stat for me. Take care of the ball, motion on offense with passing instead of dribbling leads to high percentage shots. They did that against Georgia - did not do that against Tennessee.

One of the best profile pics and names on this Board.
giphy.gif

In the bigger, more important picture, at 19 overall wins against one of the nation's most difficult schedules and no worse than the fourth-most wins in the conference, the Gators would appear to be a virtual lock for a 4th consecutive NCAA Tournament at-large berth.

The victory, in fact, got even bigger in the moments after the game, as both Auburn and LSU lost, thus moving the Gators (19-11, 11-6) into a three-way tie for 2nd in the SEC standings, with the tiebreaker over both teams in hand.

"We have our deficiencies as a team, but our guys are resilient," Florida coach Mike White said. "They keep plugging away."

Mike has done that with a very tough SoS, and with the youngest team in the SEC, #14 youngest in the nation, and that was before losing rsSr center Gak. Mike has been #2 in the SEC to Cal-Cheat / UK for the last 3 (4?) years, but still the clueless bitch, whine, and snivel about the excellent job that he's been doing.... o_O

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
In the bigger, more important picture, at 19 overall wins against one of the nation's most difficult schedules and no worse than the fourth-most wins in the conference, the Gators would appear to be a virtual lock for a 4th consecutive NCAA Tournament at-large berth.

The victory, in fact, got even bigger in the moments after the game, as both Auburn and LSU lost, thus moving the Gators (19-11, 11-6) into a three-way tie for 2nd in the SEC standings, with the tiebreaker over both teams in hand.

"We have our deficiencies as a team, but our guys are resilient," Florida coach Mike White said. "They keep plugging away."

Mike has done that with a very tough SoS, and with the youngest team in the SEC, #14 youngest in the nation, and that was before losing rsSr center Gak. Mike has been #2 in the SEC to Cal-Cheat / UK for the last 3 (4?) years, but still the clueless bitch, whine, and snivel about the excellent job that he's been doing.... o_O
SEC is weak this year. Maybe our preseason expectations were too high? I saw enough of Gak to know he would not have made a difference. Payne, Bassett, and Jitobah are all better. Hopefully they can get favorable draw and put together a good run in ncaa tourney. I also hope we can keep anyone from jumping to nba. Bring this group back next year (minus Blackshear) and any excuse for not competing for SEC champ and deep tourney run goes out the door.

I agree with some earlier comments that I would rather be a 10 vs a 9.

Yep if we can't beat KY to possibly work our way up to a 7 seed in the SEC tourney then it may be better to be a 10 seed even though there are no really dominant teams this season.

Yep if we can't beat KY to possibly work our way up to a 7 seed in the SEC tourney then it may be better to be a 10 seed even though there are no really dominant teams this season.
I think you meant working our way up to a 7 seed in the NCAA tourney. In the SEC tournament we guaranteed ourselves at least a #4 seed last night by beating Georgia. If we beat KY Saturday we would be the #2 seed. Either way we get a bye into the quarterfinals of the SEC tournament now and "only" need to win 3 straight to win the SEC tournament championship

Reactions: Gator Fever
I think you meant working our way up to a 7 seed in the NCAA tourney. In the SEC tournament we guaranteed ourselves at least a #4 seed last night by beating Georgia. If we beat KY Saturday we would be the #2 seed. Either way we get a bye into the quarterfinals of the SEC tournament now and "only" need to win 3 straight to win the SEC tournament championship

No I meant what I said but I can see it being read that way. I was basically saying beating KY could move us up to a 7 seed if we do alright in the SEC tourney also and not get knocked out in the first game. I think a KY win and one SEC tourney win would get us there.

Wouldn't Miss State get the 4 seed over us if they won and those other top teams won and we lost to KY?

Last edited:
No I meant what I said but I can see it being read that way. I was basically saying beating KY could move us up to a 7 seed if we do alright in the SEC tourney also and not get knocked out in the first game. I think a KY win and one SEC tourney win would get us there.

Wouldn't Miss State get the 4 seed over us if they won and those other top teams won and we lost to KY?
According to Adam Silverstein, Florida locked up at least a Top 4 seed in the SEC tournament by beating Georgia, even if we lose to Kentucky. I guess he's looked at the tiebreaker scenarios.
https://www.onlygators.com/03/04/20...s-gators-overcome-slow-start-to-beat-georgia/

According to Adam Silverstein, Florida locked up at least a Top 4 seed in the SEC tournament by beating Georgia, even if we lose to Kentucky. I guess he's looked at the tiebreaker scenarios.
https://www.onlygators.com/03/04/20...s-gators-overcome-slow-start-to-beat-georgia/

I think he is wrong looking at the rules. If we get in a 2 team or a 3 team tiebreaker that includes Miss State and not Auburn we would be on the short end to them in both scenarios. I assumed an LSU win over Georgia in those scenarios. Miss State has the edge over us and SC in those Auburn less scenarios with 7 loss teams. We need an Auburn or Miss State loss to be assured I think if we were to lose to KY.

Basically we cant be in a 2 way tie with Miss State or a 3 way tie with Miss State and SC.

Last edited:
I think he is wrong looking at the rules. If we get in a 2 team or a 3 team tiebreaker that includes Miss State and not Auburn we would be on the short end to them in both scenarios. I assumed an LSU win over Georgia in those scenarios. Miss State has the edge over us and SC in those Auburn less scenarios with 7 loss teams. We need an Auburn or Miss State loss to be assured I think if we were to lose to KY.

Basically we cant be in a 2 way tie with Miss State or a 3 way tie with Miss State and SC.
There are 5 teams vying for 3 spots in the Top 4 seeds for the SEC tournament. Kentucky has locked up the #1 seed. LSU, Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, Mississippi State. I think what Silverstein has figured out, or thinks he has, is that no matter how Saturday's games turn out, Florida will come out of it no lower than a 4 seed. If the season ended today we would be the #2 seed according to 247Sports. It breaks down how tiebreakers work as well. https://247sports.com/Article/If-th...ojected-seeds-schedule-tiebreakers-142373201/

We shall see how it plays out on Saturday.

the ones are pretty good. KU is legit. Dayton is very good with a big time player. We saw how we matched up with Baylor. After that it evens out. I would definitely prefer to dodge the second round matchup with the one seed.

SEC is weak this year. Maybe our preseason expectations were too high? I saw enough of Gak to know he would not have made a difference. Payne, Bassett, and Jitobah are all better. Hopefully they can get favorable draw and put together a good run in ncaa tourney. I also hope we can keep anyone from jumping to nba. Bring this group back next year (minus Blackshear) and any excuse for not competing for SEC champ and deep tourney run goes out the door.

Pretty good chance everyone comes back except maybe Lewis, I would think. I would draft Johnson in the first round if I were a GM, but I see he’s mostly projected as a second rounder currently.

There are 5 teams vying for 3 spots in the Top 4 seeds for the SEC tournament. Kentucky has locked up the #1 seed. LSU, Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, Mississippi State. I think what Silverstein has figured out, or thinks he has, is that no matter how Saturday's games turn out, Florida will come out of it no lower than a 4 seed. If the season ended today we would be the #2 seed according to 247Sports. It breaks down how tiebreakers work as well. https://247sports.com/Article/If-th...ojected-seeds-schedule-tiebreakers-142373201/

We shall see how it plays out on Saturday.

I will eat crow in this thread if I am wrong if we get a scenario where we lose to KY but it comes down to us in a 2 way tie with Miss State or a 3 way tie with Miss State and SC and Miss State doesn't get the nod over us for the 4th seed. I think any scenario that includes Auburn with 7 losses also we get in however.

Pretty good chance everyone comes back except maybe Lewis, I would think. I would draft Johnson in the first round if I were a GM, but I see he’s mostly projected as a second rounder currently.
I think if anyone leaves it will be Nembhard. He considered it last year. Lewis needs another year to hone his offensive skills. KJ is the best all around player on the team IMHO.

I think if anyone leaves it will be Nembhard. He considered it last year. Lewis needs another year to hone his offensive skills. KJ is the best all around player on the team IMHO.

Lewis isn't ready but he's the only guy who would get drafted in the first round. I haven't seen the most recent projections, but he was a lottery pick coming out of high school and he has at least shown he is an NBA athlete. I think he'd get drafted on potential. And sticking around college doesn't help, even if you improve your game. Ask Pat Young and Devin Robinson.

I will eat crow in this thread if I am wrong if we get a scenario where we lose to KY but it comes down to us in a 2 way tie with Miss State or a 3 way tie with Miss State and SC and Miss State doesn't get the nod over us for the 4th seed. I think any scenario that includes Auburn with 7 losses also we get in however.

Frankly, if we need a win to get in I'd rather be the 5 seed than the 4 seed. Then we get a game against the 12 seed to start. If we are 4 then our first game is against the 5.

Lewis isn't ready but he's the only guy who would get drafted in the first round. I haven't seen the most recent projections, but he was a lottery pick coming out of high school and he has at least shown he is an NBA athlete. I think he'd get drafted on potential. And sticking around college doesn't help, even if you improve your game. Ask Pat Young and Devin Robinson.

I looked at three mock drafts, none of them listed him, and one of them was a two-round mock. So maybe he should stick around.

For extreme selfish reasons, I would love to have Scottie Lewis back for another season. I'm sure Nembhard is as good as gone.
As far as Patric Young and D Rob, whether they got drafted in the 1st round, they still wouldn't have lasted as long as they did in the NBA right now.

Everything I’ve read still has Lewis in the first round. Here’s one from December, and his offensive game has looked better since. If he were to declare, he’d test off the charts at workouts. I imagine it will depend on what he hears if he tests it out. Who knows, maybe he wants to stay in college.

You guys think Nembhard is definitely gone? Would he get drafted? He’s a good player but not a great athlete.

An NBA career is temporary, even IF you manage to get one.

A UF Degree is Top Notch World Wide.
That UF Degree plus the Gator Nation Network are for a lifetime.

Scottie Lewis has said that he has bigger goals than just B-Ball, so we'll see how smart he is as time goes by.... :cool:

The O4's could have gone NBA after their Soph year, but they all say that they're glad that they stayed... o_O

With only 2 rounds in the NBA draft and so many foreign players wanting to live and earn a living in the greatest country in the world, a college player has to be very special in skills, plus be mentally and physically mature, to be NBA ready. I don't think any of our guys fit the criteria yet, but the lure of agents and potential big bucks causes some to make the wrong decision. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

With only 2 rounds in the NBA draft and so many foreign players wanting to live and earn a living in the greatest country in the world, a college player has to be very special in skills, plus be mentally and physically mature, to be NBA ready. I don't think any of our guys fit the criteria yet, but the lure of agents and potential big bucks causes some to make the wrong decision. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I agree except for the top talent many of these guys try and bolt too early. One exception was Patric Young however who I think would have been a 2nd round pick and got that guaranteed couple of year contract if he bolted after his sophomore season instead of staying. I am not sure if he is even playing in Europe any longer. I think his knee issues may have got worse.

Last edited:
There are a bunch of different European pro basketball leagues. Nick Calethas is one of the 10 highest paid players, making around $2.5 million per year. From what I've read, the average player salary is $100,000 or so. And in the league Young played in last year, there are no listed NBA prospects. Unless you are a sure bet NBA lottery pick, or somewhere close, it seems to me the wisest decision would be to stay in college at least until you get an undergraduate degree before chasing a dream. But that's just me.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/top-12-basketball-leagues-world-nba/story?id=44826666

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/trademarks/909850/the-top-10-euroleague-salaries-of-2019-20/2/

https://inews.co.uk/culture/televis...-basketball-nba-wage-earnings-compared-497603

For extreme selfish reasons, I would love to have Scottie Lewis back for another season. I'm sure Nembhard is as good as gone.
As far as Patric Young and D Rob, whether they got drafted in the 1st round, they still wouldn't have lasted as long as they did in the NBA right now.

Nebhard also doesn't show up on the mock drafts at all. No Gators do.

Gotta say that taking high school lottery picks and taking them out of the draft entirely with your coaching isn't a way to convince any more 5 stars to join your program.

Yep I think Lewis would be the only one drafted if they declared. Others would probably have to attempt to make it as a free agent.

Lewis would benefit greatly in draft stock by waiting another year, imo. He is an exceptional athlete but needs a LOT more college minutes to up his game. I hate seeing these kids go early and sitting on the NBA bench...

Nebhard also doesn't show up on the mock drafts at all. No Gators do.

Gotta say that taking high school lottery picks and taking them out of the draft entirely with your coaching isn't a way to convince any more 5 stars to join your program.
If no Gator player is on the mock draft board, that's great news for us. Too bad Mike White is our coach.

If no Gator player is on the mock draft board, that's great news for us. Too bad Mike White is our coach.
I've been pretty critical of him this year but let's see how we finish. Team has been coming together.at least he doesn't make a bunch of excuses. He seems pretty realistic about where the team is.

Big game today. How we play will speak a lot about our team's mindset at this point as well as MW's ability to coach. Bring the energy, Great. No excuse for lethargy..

Cal-Cheat is the greatest coach in SEC/UK history.
Mike White is a no-talent chump that should be fired.
However, Mike is 3-6 vs UK and 2-2 vs UK under the O'Dome.
Mike also has one of the few wins @ Rupp vs Cal-Cheat.... :eek:

And there's no getting around the FACT that 'professional B-Ball coaches' of 3 different conferences have voted him a Coach of the Year. MWC - AAC - SEC (but clueless twits here still think/claim that they know better) :rolleyes:

Or the fact that in just his 2nd season at UF, after taking over a loser 16-17 team, he took them to an Elite-8 finish, and has won 20+ games and has gone to a post season Tourney every season. o_O

An NBA career is temporary, even IF you manage to get one.

A UF Degree is Top Notch World Wide.
That UF Degree plus the Gator Nation Network are for a lifetime.

Scottie Lewis has said that he has bigger goals than just B-Ball, so we'll see how smart he is as time goes by.... :cool:

The O4's could have gone NBA after their Soph year, but they all say that they're glad that they stayed... o_O
Would have been cool if they stayed for Senior years and tried for the three peat. They did want to come back but decided that since Brewer's dad had died and his family was so poor that he needed the pro money so they all decided together to leave. Noah, Horford, Green, etc didn't need pro money immediately since their families had money.

and has won 20+ games and has gone to a post season Tourney every season. o_O

Man you sure love that 20 win season thing,despite it being told to you many times it doesn't matter much because Hamilton has had many 20+ win seasons, even in a row.........yet has almost nothing to show for it.

broken record.....yet again.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT