ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

I don't think Florida is guaranteed a spot in the NCAA tournament yet. If they lose their 1st game in the SEC tournament and a couple of more upsets occur in conference tournaments around the country, the Gators could find their bubble burst. Yesterday Utah State, which beat Florida earlier in the year and probably wouldn't have gotten a bid, upset potential #1 seed San Diego Sate in their conference tourney championship game, locking up a bid that otherwise would have gone to someone else.

The bubble this season is one of the softest I ever remember. The computers say its basically guaranteed short of every at-large locked in team losing their conference tournament to a team that wouldn't have made the tourney otherwise. 99.7% chance even if we lose to the Georgia/Miss winner.

In a way it wouldn't bother me if we lose that opening SEC game as it would make it more likely to get that #10 seed spot in Tampa. I think it may take 3 SEC wins to get us into a 6 or 7 seed in the tournament and I would rather avoid an 8 or 9 seed like some people said earlier since there are only a couple of really good teams in the whole country it appears this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: PacoGator19
...and so if we had placed 2nd, like we were 11 seconds away from doing, it wouldn’t be a disappointing season, HuH?!?!?

it’s not the last 11 seconds of this one game that make this a disappointing season, it is what we thought we could accomplish this year. With everything CMW had at his disposal - great recruiting class, supposedly best transfer in NCAA , etc. he was poised to earn the readily aforementioned accolades. He is simply incapable of flashes when he inherits an already formed team and does what is expected. This year is an embarrassment because of the multiple repeated efforts. This team should never have been in position to be down by 18-20 and need to comeback nor should they ever lose leads of this size. The low bar measurements of some people reflect a discouraging assessment for future expectations. COY trophies have little to no value unless tied to accomplishment worthy of recognition. Look at past history of any league and associated COY for proof.
This was a chance to re establish what Coach Donovan built and it was wasted. That is the embarrassment of this season.

Reactions: Dannygator1989
Thank you for that professional insight... :rolleyes:

CMW took a 16-17 loser BillyD team in his 1st year, to 20 wins and the NIT Quarter-final. Accomplishing that without any of the home games that he'd earned because of the O'Dome's renovations.

CMW then took that 20 win NIT team to a 27 win Elite-8 in the Big Dance his 2nd season, getting his 3rd Conf. CoY by the vote of his fellow SEC coaches, (but what do they know)?

With numerous injuries and no center, being forced to use an undersized PF in the Big Man slot, he has still won 20+ games and has gone on to the Big Dance every year that he's been at UF, with never a one & done performance...

This season, he's having to use the youngest team in the SEC, which is also a Top 10 youngest in the nation, (after losing rsSr C Gak to unjury-rehab-xfer).

Seems to me that the real embarrassment to Florida comes from the clueless, arrogant, entitled fan reactions of some... :cool:

Last edited:

CMW took a 16-17 loser BillyD team in his 1st year, to 20 wins and the NIT Quarter-final. Accomplishing that without any of the home games that he'd earned because of the O'Dome's renovations.

CMW then took that 20 win NIT team to a 27 win Elite-8 in the Big Dance his 2nd season, getting his 3rd Conf. CoY by the vote of his fellow SEC coaches, (but what do they know)?

With numerous injuries and no center, being forced to use an undersized PF in the Big Man slot, he has still won 20+ games and has gone on to the Big Dance every year that he's been at UF, with never a one & done performance...

This season, he's having to use the youngest team in the SEC, which is also a Top 10 youngest in the nation, (after losing rsSr C Gak to unjury-rehab-xfer).

Seems to me that the real embarrassment to Florida comes from the clueless, arrogant, entitled fan reactions of some... :cool:

Dang I guess KY shouldn't get mad if they are close to being a bubble team since their roster is always so young.

That was then, this is now. Billy D would have taken that loser Billy D team to the NCAA tourney the next season, not the NIT.
Mike White has now become our Kirby Smart, I guess. Looks like Ole Piss(I can only hope they will pursue him) will appreciate Mike White as much as only you, and probably Sad, who are the only Mike White sympathizers on this board.

Weren't you the one who also defended Musdump and Butters?

Last edited:
I don't disagree with this, however, with the talent, preseason 6 ranking, this is a big time flop. No way to sugar coat it. We had two epic comebacks this year, but we also blew two big leads at home and lost. 18 to KY yesterday and the 16 point lead to MSU earlier this year.
100%

Here’s my take(FWIW). If we don’t have Blackshear to pull the big man out to defend the 3 ball as in Richards then Johnson and Nembhard can’t run to the rim. Without the penetration there’s no kick out to open shooters and worst of all no offense rebounds.

White is a decent coach. He's just not a great coach and certainly not a championship winning caliber coach. The program is on solid footing and poised to be a top 1/3 of the league team. If this is good enough as a fan, then White is your guy. If you got spoiled by what Billy did, then you are going to be disappointed by White. For me Billy proved you could win at a football school. We should not accept our hoops program to stepping backwards.

White is a decent coach. He's just not a great coach and certainly not a championship winning caliber coach. The program is on solid footing and poised to be a top 1/3 of the league team. If this is good enough as a fan, then White is your guy. If you got spoiled by what Billy did, then you are going to be disappointed by White. For me Billy proved you could win at a football school. We should not accept our hoops program to stepping backwards.
Totally agree but some are acting like White is like Bilky D. I almost wonder if they have seen any games this year. We've just underachieved this year.

Keep on defending Mike White If you’re ok with mediocrity.19-12 and multiple horrible losses this year again. But I’m sure we will blame everything on the players. 5 years, no SEC rings, no chance at the National Championship. How long will it continue to be allowed? 1 more year? Mike White will never recover from this. This game breaks Gator basketball. However, I'm sure we'll hear all about how they're going to be awesome again next year.

Mike White is the Will Muschamp of basketball.

Reactions: gatordad3
Perception from an outside rival. You guys clearly take your entire athletic department seriously. You’ve not had to play the “would you give up a final four appearance for a football national title?” hypothetical because you’ve proven you can do both. FSU fans have been reluctant to say we wish our athletics across the board were on par with yours so for years a majority of our fans have always said “who cares it’s not football.” That is until we’ve recently started having national success in other sports. Bottom line is we are not nearly as wealthy as a you or the Ohio States or Texases of the world and we are making due with what we have. Why a fan base like UF, Ohio St, or Texas with crazy budgets would settle for what UF has been putting out in terms of basketball the past several years is inexcusable especially in a poor conference like SEC basketball. Just like with McElwain though I hope you keep White forever. We may not have the Final Fours or NCAA titles but there is no question we are the powerhouse basketball program in the state right now and our future certainly appears brighter than yours. You were preseason top 10 with NBA talent on your roster. It’s good to see so many in your fan base have accepted mediocrity for a once proud program.

Perception from an outside rival. You guys clearly take your entire athletic department seriously. You’ve not had to play the “would you give up a final four appearance for a football national title?” hypothetical because you’ve proven you can do both. FSU fans have been reluctant to say we wish our athletics across the board were on par with yours so for years a majority of our fans have always said “who cares it’s not football.” That is until we’ve recently started having national success in other sports. Bottom line is we are not nearly as wealthy as a you or the Ohio States or Texases of the world and we are making due with what we have. Why a fan base like UF, Ohio St, or Texas with crazy budgets would settle for what UF has been putting out in terms of basketball the past several years is inexcusable especially in a poor conference like SEC basketball. Just like with McElwain though I hope you keep White forever. We may not have the Final Fours or NCAA titles but there is no question we are the powerhouse basketball program in the state right now and our future certainly appears brighter than yours. You were preseason top 10 with NBA talent on your roster. It’s good to see so many in your fan base have accepted mediocrity for a once proud program.
FSU has improved significantly in "other sports" over the last 6-8 years, but at a high price. From what I've read their athletic department is millions of dollars in the red, while Florida continues to make a profit and return millions to the university's general fund every year. At some point FSU will have to reign in it's spending because the income hasn't supported the huge increase in spending to try to get up to par with the big boys.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinio...0190705-c5enncduvfaozlas6t2g3cuak4-story.html

Last edited:
Reactions: bradleygator
Just like with McElwain though I hope you keep White forever. .
Who do you think we are? Sad and Insti?

Mike White?
giphy.gif

Last edited:
What Mike White has done in 5 years as the UF basketball coach just flat out isn’t good enough. None with how much resources we put into our entire athletic department. I’m not saying White has to be Billy D but we can certainly strive for better than what we have had over White’s tenure. White has had 1 good season out of 5. If you are being honest at no other point could you possibly be impressed with any of his other 4 seasons as the head coach. If you want average results and maybe every once in awhile throw in a good season then White is your guy. If you want more consistency and challenge for SEC championships in an average basketball conference than White isn’t that guy. Barring a miracle and we finish strong Mike White will be on the hot seat going into next year.

Reactions: Gator Fever
What Mike White has done in 5 years as the UF basketball coach just flat out isn’t good enough. None with how much resources we put into our entire athletic department. I’m not saying White has to be Billy D but we can certainly strive for better than what we have had over White’s tenure. White has had 1 good season out of 5. If you are being honest at no other point could you possibly be impressed with any of his other 4 seasons as the head coach. If you want average results and maybe every once in awhile throw in a good season then White is your guy. If you want more consistency and challenge for SEC championships in an average basketball conference than White isn’t that guy. Barring a miracle and we finish strong Mike White will be on the hot seat going into next year.

I agree with this considering the talent this year's team has. He either makes the Sweet 16 in this tournament or that seat will be hot next season and he will need a good regular season or a Sweet 16 appearance to save his job.

While I agree with most others on this and other boards than Mike White's performance has been less than Gator quality, which means competing for an SEC title (and more) on a regular basis like all of our other programs do except women's basketball, I have seen no indication from the athletic association or administration officials that there is any dissatisfaction with him to this point. With the 2 year extension and raise he got after last season that extended his contract through the 2024-25 season. Just don't see anything happening on that front for at least a couple of more years - unfortunately.

While I agree with most others on this and other boards than Mike White's performance has been less than Gator quality, which means competing for an SEC title (and more) on a regular basis like all of our other programs do except women's basketball, I have seen no indication from the athletic association or administration officials that there is any dissatisfaction with him to this point. With the 2 year extension and raise he got after last season that extended his contract through the 2024-25 season. Just don't see anything happening on that front for at least a couple of more years - unfortunately.
Not true. Starting to be some concern in the UF athletics department right now with the direction on the men’s basketball program.

Not true. Starting to be some concern in the UF athletics department right now with the direction on the men’s basketball program.
You may be right, but I have not seen or heard anything along those lines other than speculation and hopes on message boards and I still will be surprised if any serious moves are made within the next 2-3 years. .

Anything less than the sweet 16 this year and White will feel a little heat next year. If he were then to miss the tourney next year, I’d make him 60/40 to keep his job.

I would say he deserves next year to show he can put the program where it should be, which is consistent top 4 in a bad league and winning some kind of title, tourney or regular season, every four years or so. That should be the absolute floor.

We might not win another game this season...

Seriously...and White will still be our coach next year...
Nobody said he wouldn’t be our coach next year. He might be on the hot seat going into next year though.

No question you are the powerhouse in the state? Not sure there is a "powerhouse" in the state. Your ncaa tourney record not much different than our over the last 6 years.

Reactions: bradleygator
No question you are the powerhouse in the state? Not sure there is a "powerhouse" in the state. Your ncaa tourney record not much different than our over the last 6 years.

This

They've been to one elite 8 in 27 years......only once in the last 6 years. I'm not sure that qualifies as a "powerhouse" by any standard.

And we have owned and dominated you on those six years. Like I said you have hardware but the perception is the reality. We have a win streak on you, play in a better conference, now we just need to prove it in the tournament. Your national titles are old news at this point.

And we have owned and dominated you on those six years. Like I said you have hardware but the perception is the reality. We have a win streak on you, play in a better conference, now we just need to prove it in the tournament. Your national titles are old news at this point.

FSU needs a final four to make their case this season not another early exit for their seeding under Hamilton.

Isn't 2018 about the only time his teams have overachieved in the tournament.

Last edited:
The Gators count on winning the hardware in all sports.
With NC's in the Men's Big 3 -- Football - Basketball - Baseball

While FSUcks and Tennis-sea count on beating the team with the hardware... o_O

And that's the major difference between the winners and the wannabees.... :cool:

Nobody is refuting your history. You went on the most impressive football and basketball run in NCAA history. I don’t think it will be replicated again. At least not in my lifetime. But you can’t keep bragging about banners won as they collect dust and your program worsens. Personally I’m glad so many of you are content with being mediocre in a mediocre conference. I’ll gladly chip in for another Mike White extension.

Yes, you guys have won the last 6. A few were close so the word dominate it inaccurate. But at the end of the day in hoops it's not about a single game, its about making the tourney and going deep in the tourney. Cant apply a football type mentality when evaluating hoops programs. So like I said, over the past 6 years our ncaa tourney history is almost identical. So you are not a powerhouse, but certainly your program is slightly better than UF's right now. And the best part is this is a down time for us and your glory years so that should illuminate the difference between the two programs as well.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Nobody is refuting your history. You went on the most impressive football and basketball run in NCAA history. I don’t think it will be replicated again. At least not in my lifetime. But you can’t keep bragging about banners won as they collect dust and your program worsens. Personally I’m glad so many of you are content with being mediocre in a mediocre conference. I’ll gladly chip in for another Mike White extension.
Who else on this board but possibly 2 posters that support Mike White? Pretty much everyone of us want Mike White gone as fast as Butters got canned, which, that wasn't fast enough for me at the time. Or was your comment directed toward only Insta?
I'm sorry, but we don't have the patience FSU fans have when it comes to basketball coaches. I mean, in Hamilton's 18th season, this will only be his 8th NCAA appearance as the FSU head coach. We Gator fans won't settle for 8 NCAA appearances even if Mike White even lasts as long, which I doubt he will.
If I were an FSU fan, I'd still want the AD to find a much better, and let's not forget, much much younger hoops coach. Oh, and would've wanted Hamilton booted around his 5th-6th season.

Things that some will reluctantly admit to if pushed, but then quickly try to dismiss or brush over... o_O

FSU 2019-20 B-Ball Roster's Make-up:

1 rsSr
1 Sr
4 rsJr
4 Jr
3 rsSo
-----
1 So
1 rsFr
2 Fr
========

While UF is the youngest team in the SEC, and began the season as the 14th (353) youngest in the nation, and that was before losing rsSr center Gak, DNP for the season, then transferred out in Dec. :cool:

CMW bashers are clueless / biased / faithless, but then that's jmoho.... ;)
>>> I'm still driving 2017 SEC CoY Mike's bandwagon. :p

It’s very true that Hamilton’s start was super slow for us. His first few years most of the fan base was calling for his head but we didn’t have the coffers to make it happen. Our facilities sucked and we were not an appealing job. He’s been very consistent over the past few years. I’d love for a deep run in the tournament. I believe this is the team to do it by the way. My whole point of this has been your bar should be way higher than ours. Granted a lot of you are losing support for your guy but during Billy’s coronation I saw a huge banner saying “you’re next Coach White..” That’s a pretty strong message from the fan base. Honoring a legend and calling the mediocre guy the next legend at a celebration. I chuckled because there’s no way most of you would have helped hang that thing up.

But you’re a very small portion of your fan base here. A majority of you can have adult conversations but the perception from the outside is that your fans like your coach. I don’t hear anywhere near the noise from Gator friends about White like I did Muschamp or McElwain. Maybe that’s because it’s basketball.

It’s very true that Hamilton’s start was super slow for us. His first few years most of the fan base was calling for his head but we didn’t have the coffers to make it happen. Our facilities sucked and we were not an appealing job. He’s been very consistent over the past few years. I’d love for a deep run in the tournament. I believe this is the team to do it by the way. My whole point of this has been your bar should be way higher than ours. Granted a lot of you are losing support for your guy but during Billy’s coronation I saw a huge banner saying “you’re next Coach White..” That’s a pretty strong message from the fan base. Honoring a legend and calling the mediocre guy the next legend at a celebration. I chuckled because there’s no way most of you would have helped hang that thing up.

But you’re a very small portion of your fan base here. A majority of you can have adult conversations but the perception from the outside is that your fans like your coach. I don’t hear anywhere near the noise from Gator friends about White like I did Muschamp or McElwain. Maybe that’s because it’s basketball.
White is very likable. I think that is part of the challenge. He will be here next year regardless (and yes we will lose to fsu again). If we aren't in a position to compete for at least SEC and a 2nd weekend run next year could be his last. He will be a shorter leash than Hamilton for sure. It is so odd seeing how Hamilton has turned into a really good recruiter.

That is only because it's not football. He will have a warm seat next season if he doesn't make the Sweet 16.

I guess we get to see who we play tonight. It appears both of them could only make the tournament by winning the SEC tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT