ADVERTISEMENT

Bama-F$U 2017

wow

sycophants gonna sycophant.

Tongue in cheek?

My goodness, high marks for originality.

And as far as your assertion that FSU would have done as well in the SEC as they did in the SEC, are you really going there? Really?

FSU won what, nine straight championships in the ACC? And 11 out of 12?

Are you really asserting they would have done the same in the SEC?

In any case, FSU was too chicken to find out.

Go back and read the history when the SEC expanded in 1992. Even your own coach admitted that the SEC was just too tough for FSU. He admitted it back then and he admitted it just recently.

Again, so what do you call FSU asking for entry in the 80s when BB was coach?

And as far as your assertion that FSU would have done as well in the SEC as they did in the SEC, are you really going there? Really?

FSU won what, nine straight championships in the ACC? And 11 out of 12?

Are you really asserting they would have done the same in the SEC?

In any case, FSU was too chicken to find out.

Who in the SEC in the 90's was a threat to FSU?? Not the gators, UT beat us when we had our 3rd string qb in. Who would have been a threat?? We had the best players, more speed than anyone, two Heismen winners. Come on man.

Who in the SEC in the 90's was a threat to FSU?? Not the gators, UT beat us when we had our 3rd string qb in. Who would have been a threat?? We had the best players, more speed than anyone, two Heismen winners. Come on man.
You mean, other than beat FSU for a National Title game and beating FSU the following year to keep them from going to the National Title? Other than all that?

Answer the question you big baby. FSU won the first 9 ACC Titles when they joined. They also won 11 out of the first 12.

Are you claiming FSU would have done the same in the SEC?

FSU did ask in the 80s. The SEC was not expanding then. The SEC was ready in 1992. FSU declined. They wimped out. Sucks to be them

So in the 80s FSU was trying to get into something they were scared of, got it chief.

BTW, just for fun, I looked at the record of FSU against the ACC in the 90s and then compared that to their record against the SEC.

In the 90s, FSU was 62-2 against the ACC.
In the 90s, FSU was 9-6-1 against the SEC.

So, FSU did have a winning record against the SEC. FSU was very good in the 90s. Their best calendar decade ever. But unlike what danoleman claims, it would not have been 62-2.

You mean, other than beat FSU for a National Title game and beating FSU the following year to keep them from going to the National Title? Other than all that?

Answer the question you big baby. FSU won the first 9 ACC Titles when they joined. They also won 11 out of the first 12.

Are you claiming FSU would have done the same in the SEC?

Florida was by far the SEC toughest team in the 90's. Florida dominated the SEC in the 90's. What the heck make you think FSU wouldn't have??

BTW, just for fun, I looked at the record of FSU against the ACC in the 90s and then compared that to their record against the SEC.

In the 90s, FSU was 62-2 against the ACC.
In the 90s, FSU was 9-6-1 against the SEC.

So, FSU did have a winning record against the SEC. FSU was very good in the 90s. Their best calendar decade ever. But unlike what danoleman claims, it would not have been 62-2.

9-6-1 doesn't seem right. gators beat us 4 times out of 11 in the 90's and I remember Auburn winning in 1990. Who was the other SEC loss to?? Can't remember. I know we used to destroy LSU back then

All FSU has to do is schedule a couple of decent out-of-conference opponents every season and the SOS issue is moot.

The third-place seeding was more due to the constant, last-minute comeback victories. If FSU was dominating, like they did in 2013, they would have been #1.

While we are quoting BB.
"We had tried to get in the SEC for 30 years and had been turned down all the time," Bowden said, recalling the events in the summer of '90 that ultimately led the school to forgo its independent status. "Then all of a sudden they came to us wanting to get in there."

And this.
"Meanwhile, the SEC had caught wind of the ACC's intention to hold an expansion vote and quickly convened its own conference call. They voted to not extend Florida State an invitation to the conference." AKA butt hurt.

Again, so what do you call FSU asking for entry in the 80s when BB was coach?
I call it smart. But when he had to step up to the plate, when he knew FSU could get an offer from the SEC, he failed to accept. And convinced FSU officials to accept the ACC offer.

Florida was by far the SEC toughest team in the 90's. Florida dominated the SEC in the 90's. What the heck make you think FSU wouldn't have??
Oh, I am not claiming FSU would not have done well in the 90s, had they joined the SEC. I think they would have been amoung the top teams. They would have competed well against Florida, Alabama and Tennessee, which were the three top teams of the 90s.

But FSU would not have gone 62-2 in the 90s. I am think they probably win 60% of their games. So, something like 42-21 or so.

9-6-1 doesn't seem right. gators beat us 4 times out of 11 in the 90's and I remember Auburn winning in 1990. Who was the other SEC loss to?? Can't remember. I know we used to destroy LSU back then
Look it up. I am sure a smart boy like you knows how to internet.

All FSU has to do is schedule a couple of decent out-of-conference opponents every season and the SOS issue is moot.

The third-place seeding was more due to the constant, last-minute comeback victories. If FSU was dominating, like they did in 2013, they would have been #1.

And if Florida was 11-1 in 2014, like it was at the end of the regular season in 2012, it might have gotten the nod instead of FSU. See? One can play "what if" games for anything.

The fact is that FSU was undefeated in 2014 and it barely got a 3rd seed. There is a reason for that. FSU played poorly against a bad schedule. But even with that, managed to go undefeated. One loss and FSU would not have been invited.

So strange that this argument always comes up. BB refers to FSU spending 30 years trying to get into the SEC.... and nobody ever talks about the fact that for at least half that time, UF was a vocal SUPPORTER of FSU being extended an invite, and even sponsored FSU. The SEC then changed its constitution in 1971, making it impossible for ANY team to join unless one of the current members dropped out... that lasted until 1991... When Bobby said no....

What does UF being a supporter have to do with things? When an offer finally came FSU had a better one.

What does UF being a supporter have to do with things? When an offer finally came FSU had a better one.
A better one? Thanks for the laugh.

I do not know any FSU fans that really think being in the ACC is better than being in the SEC... at any level. And from a financial perspective, it is most certainly not true.

At the time it was a better deal. The ROI was off the charts. Today is different but when we joined the ACC it was the better deal of the 2.

Who cares we are not on the SEC, that ship has sailed. As long as we can schedule games like this on a yearly basis I'll be a happy man. Especially in Atlanta! Love the ATL!

The payout for the game is going to be very good. I am excited we worked a deal and playing in Atlanta. We play Ole Miss next year too.

In the last 10 years we have played Alabama (Jacksonville), Auburn (BCS), USCe (Bowl), Kentucky (Bowl), and you guys. Not many for sure. I doubt we will play LSU, TAMU, Ark, Mizzou, Vandy, and of course UGa.

Oh, I am not claiming FSU would not have done well in the 90s, had they joined the SEC. I think they would have been amoung the top teams. They would have competed well against Florida, Alabama and Tennessee, which were the three top teams of the 90s.

But FSU would not have gone 62-2 in the 90s. I am think they probably win 60% of their games. So, something like 42-21 or so.

I agree FSU wouldn't have gone 62-2 & I also think they would still have ended up with 2 national titles in the 90s if in the sec.

FSU certainly wouldn't have won 9 SEC championships in a row, but I don't think that that national championships would have been different.

SEC football was certainly better than the ACC in the 1990s, but the SEC was not quite as overwhelmingly dominant then. The added rigor and schedule strength may have actually helped FSU. Maybe our field goal kicking game would have improved to the point where we wouldn't have blown 2-3 more potential national championships on a missed FG.

FSU certainly wouldn't have won 9 SEC championships in a row, but I don't think that that national championships would have been different.

It is a fun thing to debate. And who knows?

SEC football was certainly better than the ACC in the 1990s, but the SEC was not quite as overwhelmingly dominant then. The added rigor and schedule strength may have actually helped FSU. Maybe our field goal kicking game would have improved to the point where we wouldn't have blown 2-3 more potential national championships on a missed FG.

Florida fans are fond of pointing out that of our three NCs, two were earned with the toughest schedule in the nation. And in the other one, the schedule was the second toughest. So, I see your argument. But my counter is that of the three NC game FSU lost, two were to SEC teams.

But even if I agree that FSU might have won two NCs had they joined the SEC, I am not sure I agree they would have earned the right to play three others.

8b4bc10cac5f36ce0619cfb3422a298d_crop_north.jpg

Hey, he got to enjoy an FSU game 4% of the time. ;)

Florida was the SEC's best team n the 90's, but not it's only team. If I recall, three SEC teams won national titles in the 90's. Did 3 ACC teams? Don't think so.

Florida was the SEC's best team n the 90's, but not it's only team. If I recall, three SEC teams won national titles in the 90's. Did 3 ACC teams? Don't think so.

Nope, but 2 of the teams won 3 NC's. GT won in 1990 and FSU won 2. Of course UT got theirs with FSU playing their 3rd string qb due to injuries. Still count though.

10 years in.

"Financially, Florida State's athletic department has realized a windfall in excess of $57.3 million as a direct result of its ACC membership. No matter how you measure that sum, it's a tremendous return on the initial investment of $500,000, which consummated the FSU-ACC marriage on July 1, 1991"

I think the biggest difference for FSU is that when we went through our "Lost Decade," we still were able to continue posting winning records every year, and go to a bowl game. This would not have been possible in the SEC, as Will Muschamp has demonstrated.

I think the biggest difference for FSU is that when we went through our "Lost Decade," we still were able to continue posting winning records every year, and go to a bowl game. This would not have been possible in the SEC, as Will Muschamp has demonstrated.

I agree with this. In the 2000's the SEC teams became very good and yes they would have handed us our azz during the lost decade.

Not sure I agree with this. People have somehow managed to pretend like FSU's schedules from 2011-2013 have always been the norm. Here are FSU's Sagarin SOS rankings from 2001-2009:

2001: #2
2002: #3
2003: #2
2004: #29
2005: #30
2006: #39
2007: #22
2008: #48
2009: #3

That's an average SOS of #18. That's right there with UF (#17) and better than LSU (#25), Alabama (#28), and Auburn (#29).

Nope, but 2 of the teams won 3 NC's. GT won in 1990 and FSU won 2. Of course UT got theirs with FSU playing their 3rd string qb due to injuries. Still count though.
This is such a lame argument. As if it does not count as a win for Tennessee and a loss for FSU. Go peddle your silly excuses where there are other like minded simpletons.

Using this argument, three of the four wins Jimbo has against Florida do not count, because Florida was without a healthy starting QB

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT