ADVERTISEMENT

Bama-F$U 2017

10 years in.

"Financially, Florida State's athletic department has realized a windfall in excess of $57.3 million as a direct result of its ACC membership. No matter how you measure that sum, it's a tremendous return on the initial investment of $500,000, which consummated the FSU-ACC marriage on July 1, 1991"
OK. Fair enough.

But that is not your premise. Your premise is that FSU got a better deal by going into the ACC. What would have the return been if FSU went to the SEC?

I think the biggest difference for FSU is that when we went through our "Lost Decade," we still were able to continue posting winning records every year, and go to a bowl game. This would not have been possible in the SEC, as Will Muschamp has demonstrated.
Indeed. Hell, Jimbo would have likely posted at least one losing season early on, if he had to compete in the SEC

Indeed. Hell, Jimbo would have likely posted at least one losing season early on, if he had to compete in the SEC

Seriously doubt it. FSU played the #18 SOS in Jimbo's first year and won 10 games. South Carolina and Florida both managed to play in the SEC and have a winning season that year.

Seriously doubt it. FSU played the #18 SOS in Jimbo's first year and won 10 games. South Carolina and Florida both managed to play in the SEC and have a winning season that year.
The four loses he had were to crap teams. He woujld have had more in the SEC. And what about his second year. He also had four losses that year. Three of those four losses were to crap teams.

It is all opinion, but I do think Jimbo would have recorded 3 to 4 additional loses in each of his first two years, had FSU been a SEC member.

The four loses he had were to crap teams. He woujld have had more in the SEC. And what about his second year. He also had four losses that year. Three of those four losses were to crap teams.

It is all opinion, but I do think Jimbo would have recorded 3 to 4 additional loses in each of his first two years, had FSU been a SEC member.

I think you're drunk on SEC Kool-Aid. Florida had winning seasons playing the SEC in 2010 and 2011. What on Earth makes you think FSU wouldn't have? FSU beat UF by 24 in 2010 and 14 in 2011. Also beat South Carolina in 2010 with a backup QB.

MJ, I stated "at the time". Easy to play armchair now. I'd prefer to be in the SEC but "at the time" FSU did what was best for FSU.

This is such a lame argument. As if it does not count as a win for Tennessee and a loss for FSU. Go peddle your silly excuses where there are other like minded simpletons.

Using this argument, three of the four wins Jimbo has against Florida do not count, because Florida was without a healthy starting QB

Lol listen smart guy, did you miss the part where I said "still count though"?? Then you go into a misguided tirade about nothing. Lay off the booze.

Last edited:
MJ, I stated "at the time". Easy to play armchair now. I'd prefer to be in the SEC but "at the time" FSU did what was best for FSU.
That is certainly your opinion. But it is not backed by facts. That FSU benefited by joining a conference, there is no doubt. That writing had been on the wall for several years. Hence their interest in joining the SEC all those years prior. But when the opportunity presented itself to join a conference, FSU chose poorly.

So, hold your opinion that FSU was financially better off joining the ACC if you must. But if you want an opinion established in fact, then a better analysis would include a comparison of what kind of revenues Florida pulled in over the same time period due to being in the SEC.

Last edited:
My apologies. You did write that. But yet you still offer excuses. Otherwise, why write it?

Not an excuse, just a fact. Tell me this, as good as your '96 team was, do you think you beat FSU in the NC game without Danny Wuerffel?? What if you had to play your 3rd string qb that game. You don't think the outcome may have been different??!

Oh Dear.

So, what would you reaction be if I offered similar excuses for our most recent losses? Because one could certainly do that.

I gather you might sneer about it. As well you should.

I will say this though. Your excuse making just reinforces what I have said all along. FSU would not have been invited to five NC games during that period, had they been in the SEC.

Not an excuse, just a fact. Tell me this, as good as your '96 team was, do you think you beat FSU in the NC game without Danny Wuerffel?? What if you had to play your 3rd string qb that game. You don't think the outcome may have been different??!

Meh. FSU would have likely beaten Tennessee with a healthy Weinke, but then Peter Warrick, Corey Simon, and Jerry Johnson probably would have bolted to the NFL and we wouldn't have won it in '99. It worked out fine.

Oh Dear.

So, what would you reaction be if I offered similar excuses for our most recent losses? Because one could certainly do that.

I gather you might sneer about it. As well you should.

I will say this though. Your excuse making just reinforces what I have said all along. FSU would not have been invited to five NC games during that period, had they been in the SEC.

What years exactly do you think FSU would not have been invited??

What years exactly do you think FSU would not have been invited??
The years they would had gotten their ass kicked in by playing a tougher SEC schedule, rather than skating through a Charmin soft ACC schedule.

It is not complicated. You are a bright lad. You can figure it out.

What does UF being a supporter have to do with things? When an offer finally came FSU had a better one.

Because so many Noles argue that UF was afraid of having FSU in the SEC and fought to keep them out.

The years they would had gotten their ass kicked in by playing a tougher SEC schedule, rather than skating through a Charmin soft ACC schedule.

You're starting to sound like BONG. Repeating something enough times doesn't make it true. FSU went 34-4 and played in 3 straight title games from 1998-2000. Their SOS those years was #5, #11, and #11. FSU won the 1993 title and played 7 ranked teams that year. Anyone that thinks FSU was dominant in the 90's because they played a "Charmin soft schedule" is simply delusional.

You're starting to sound like BONG. Repeating something enough times doesn't make it true. FSU went 34-4 and played in 3 straight title games from 1998-2000. Their SOS those years was #5, #11, and #11. FSU won the 1993 title and played 7 ranked teams that year. Anyone that thinks FSU was dominant in the 90's because they played a "Charmin soft schedule" is simply delusional.

It was a Charmin soft schedule. Hence FSU losing 3 of 5 national championship games. And it is no coincidence that the losses were to SEC and Big 12 programs.

You do not have to agree with my opinion. But it happens to be true. Your own coach at the time said as much.

Again, which years specifically would FSU not have been in the NC game had they been in the SEC??

It was a Charmin soft schedule. Hence FSU losing 3 of 5 national championship games. And it is no coincidence that the losses were to SEC and Big 12 programs.

You do not have to agree with my opinion. But it happens to be true. Your own coach at the time said as much.

And what happened when your team played a Big 12 team in the NC game??

MJ, you seriously might be the most delusional poster I have ever seen on the rivals network. You truly are a piece of work.

MJ, you seriously might be the most delusional poster I have ever seen on the rivals network. You truly are a piece of work.
Well, you are about the most sycophantic, so you got that going for you.

You might not agree with my opinions, but they are opinions held by most people that are not FSU fans.

It is not true. You're just so delusional that you really believe it's true. You have taken the place of BONG on ignoring all fact. I just posted FSU's SOS rankings from 98-00 and you completely ignored it. Heck, Charlie Ward was our QB during our first 2 years of playing in the ACC and 14 of his 24 career starts were against ranked teams. Charmin soft!

And what happened when your team played a Big 12 team in the NC game??
We played two Big Ten Teams. We won once and we lost once. In fact, the Mighty Gators are 3-1 in National Championship games. The easiest game we had was against the only ACC team we played. We need to schedule ACC teams in National Championship games more often.

It is not true. You're just so delusional that you really believe it's true. You have taken the place of BONG on ignoring all fact. I just posted FSU's SOS rankings from 98-00 and you completely ignored it. Heck, Charlie Ward was our QB during our first 2 years of playing in the ACC and 14 of his 24 career starts were against ranked teams. Charmin soft!
You can publish outliers all you want and pretend they are the rule. But they are not the rule.

Had FSU not been afraid to join the SEC, they might well still have one or two NC Titles. FSU was good during that period. But it is my considered opinion they would not have played in five NC games over the same period.

We played two Big Ten Teams. We won once and we lost once. In fact, the Mighty Gators are 3-1 in National Championship games. The easiest game we had was against the only ACC team we played. We need to schedule ACC teams in National Championship games more often.

You mean the same ACC team that had already beat you once that season??

Again, which years specifically would FSU not have been in the NC game had they been in the SEC??
I do not know. Because I do not know which SEC teams FSU would have played during that period. But the SEC was tough and FSU would not have as easy a time of it, like they did with that Charmin Soft ACC schedule.

Your own coach admitted as much. Was he also delusional?

You can publish outliers all you want and pretend they are the rule. But they are not the rule.

Had FSU not been afraid to join the SEC, they might well still have one or two NC Titles. FSU was good during that period. But it is my considered opinion they would not have played in five NC games over the same period.

For the third time I'll ask, which years do you believe FSU wouldn't have made it to the NC??

You mean the same ACC team that had already beat you once that season??
But we had two key players out, so it didn't count...er....it was an excuse. It wasn't out fault. (I am just channeling you now, in case you aren't smart enough to figure that out.)

One of those injured players came back for the NC game and what happened? 52 to 20 happened. BTW, that is STILL the record for margin of victory over a #1 team in a NC game.

But we had two key players out, so it didn't count...er....it was an excuse. It wasn't out fault. (I am just channeling you now, in case you aren't smart enough to figure that out.)

One of those injured players came back for the NC game and what happened? 52 to 20 happened. BTW, that is STILL the record for margin of victory over a #1 team in a NC game.

Congrats

Notice how desperate the FSU fans are for our approval.

I tried to pat them on the head, so they will run along. Saying things like "Yes you had some good teams back then and one or two might have even won the NC."

But even that is not enough for them.

One wonders why

Outliers? Good Lord, man, what are you talking about? FSU didn't join the ACC until 1992. If we're talking about the 90's that's 8 seasons. In 1998, their SOS was #5. In 1999, their SOS was #11. Sagarin SOS rankings are not available prior to '98 (BCS) but FSU played 7 ranked teams in 1992. They played 7 ranked teams in 1993. They played 6 ranked teams in 1994. They played 6 ranked teams in 1996. They played 6 ranked teams in 1997. The only year in the 90's that FSU played an easy schedule was 1995. Do you know what an outlier is?

ADVERTISEMENT