ADVERTISEMENT

Football What does Napier do now with the Lagway situation?

There is nothing in CFB that is more "fools gold" than a true freshman QB who has an early season great performance against an overmatched opponent. Just puttin' it out there.
AR15 was fools gold in a similar way. But I really don't know if that was coaching mismanagement or just complete self narcissism. Not a true freshman but the script was the same. Time will tell. I think Lagway is the real deal if he can survive the Billy regime, and hopefully leave here as a Gator before headed to the NFL.

Last edited:
AR15 was fools gold in a similar way. But I really don't know if that was coaching mismanagement or just complete self narcissism. Not a true freshman but the script was the same. Time will tell. I think Lagway is the real deal if he can survive the Billy regime.

Could be wrong but I think Lagway has the mental part down way more than AR.

Big difference between Lagway and Mertz is that Lagway is looking downfield trying to make those plays. Those plays don’t exist with Mertz. I like Mertz a lot and respect what he’s done here but we need more from the qb to overcome our coaching and roster management shortcomings.

Having the greatest OL ever at UF and 3 badass running backs also helped.
Great Wall of Florida. Best O line ever assembled at UF in history. Good times. It's effing sad that Charley Pell was villified for doing what Bear Bryant had gotten away with for 30 years, and what SEC coaches aspire to with the NIL in 2024. I'll bet he's looking down from the sky and seriously pissed off. He wasn't the best game day coach but he was hands down the best recruiter in UF history, bar none.

And an edit.........was a damned good coach recruiter as well. Gave Mike Shanahan his crack into the coaching profession as the offensive coordinator.

Pell and Hall both got the 1980's chitty end of the stick imo, but they were not the last to get screwed here....

Great Wall of Florida. Best O line ever assembled at UF in history. Good times. It's effing sad that Charley Pell was villified for doing what Bear Bryant had gotten away with for 30 years, and what SEC coaches aspire to with the NIL in 2024. I'll bet he's looking down from the sky and seriously pissed off. He wasn't the best game day coach but he was hands down the best recruiter in UF history, bar none.

And an edit.........was a damned good coach recruiter as well. Gave Mike Shanahan his crack into the coaching profession as the offensive coordinator.

I cant remember how many of them were back for 1985 but that was a really strong team also. It was crazy how we let that crappy Rutgers team come back and tie us though. I think they only won one game the rest of the season after that. Georgia we just didn't show up for that game giving up all those big runs and if I remember right Georgia just kept blitzing us a lot and we weren't picking it up and Bell did make some nice long throws under pressure but the damn receivers kept dropping them or that would have been a different game.

I cant remember how many of them were back for 1985 but that was a really strong team also. It was crazy how we let that crappy Rutgers team come back and tie us though. I think they only won one game the rest of the season after that. Georgia we just didn't show up for that game giving up all those big runs and if I remember right Georgia just kept blitzing us a lot and we weren't picking it up and Bell did make some nice long throws under pressure but the damn receivers kept dropping them or that would have been a different game.
That Rutgers game, I was sitting in a booster's booth over an exit on the 40 yard line. I almost threw hissy fit. It was 28-0 at halftime. Hall was a friend of Rutger's coach. Hall cleared the bench and started playing pine sitters. Rutgers scored twice and then momentum had turned and the Gators were on their heels. If Hall leaves the starters in until the 3rd qtr, it's a 56-0 blowout. I was mad as hell.

Now that Georgia game was a kick in the nuts. I was sitting in the end zone that day. Gators got inside the red zone about 8 times and came away with 3 points. Disgusting. Bell threw for over 400 yards. It was a shitshow of missed opportunity.

Reactions: Gator Fever
In recent years some true freshman have actually did pretty good when taking over.
Freshman these days (the ones that are good) are more prepared to play college than ever. From camps in high school, coaching, money involved and early enrolment being common now it's not what it was even 10 years ago, much less like a lot of us remember from 20+ years ago.

Oh FFS. Weather delay now? :rolleyes: I missed the entire 1st Qtr due to the efftard officiating in the USCe/LSU game. Zebras strung that damned game out at least 30 minutes with all of their laundry and missed calls. :mad:

Oh FFS. Weather delay now? :rolleyes: I missed the entire 1st Qtr due to the efftard officiating in the USCe/LSU game. Zebras strung that damned game out at least 30 minutes with all of their laundry and missed calls. :mad:
Let's see if the staff has any brains to clean up the receivers running free on the right side.

My first game was the Reaves to Alvarez game to open the 1969 season vs. Playboy's #1 ranked Houston team. I'd been to well over 50 games by the 80's.
I really don't remember when my first game was. But I remember watching Spurrier when he was a QB. I don't remember the year but my parents took us to the Orange Bowl when UF played Ga Tech when Spurrier was QB. I remember Larry Smith ran for like a one mile TD out of the shadow of the goal line and his pants were around his knees when he crossed the goal line. 😂

Reactions: Nicktheslick
I really don't remember when my first game was. But I remember watching Spurrier when he was a QB. I don't remember the year but my parents took us to the Orange Bowl when UF played Ga Tech when Spurrier was QB. I remember Larry Smith ran for like a one mile TD out of the shadow of the goal line and his pants were around his knees when he crossed the goal line. 😂
That Orange Bowl game was 1967 and the Gators beat Georgia Tech. I remember that Smith run as well.

The 2 headed QB experiment didnt work too well today vs the Aggies. Gonna have to go with someone and ride them out but it wont matter cause the defense is terrible.

The 2 headed QB experiment didnt work too well today vs the Aggies. Gonna have to go with someone and ride them out but it wont matter cause the defense is terrible.

Lagway definitely needs experience. I would go with him unless he is getting killed physically because this team will probably only win one more game this season no matter who is the QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT