ADVERTISEMENT

Football What does Napier do now with the Lagway situation?

Well Napier has another decision to make. Start Lagway or Mertz. It sounds like he may go with Mertz. I think it's the wrong decision for a couple of reasons. Despite A&M having a pretty good defense the start will be at home against a team struggling with offense. The next game would be against a Miss State team who looked pretty bad and let AZ State run all over them and then at home against UCF, after a bye week, who doesn't have the talent many teams do after that game. Put Lagway in and if he gets overwhelmed and it's really going bad switch back to Mertz for the game. If the defense shows up at all we should be able to keep A&M in the 20s giving us a chance.

IF,,,, If Napier returns Mertz to starter for the aTm game, he should not only be FIRED on the spot, he should then be 'Tared-Feathered, & Run Outta Town on a Rail' --- jmoho of course....

In fact, as I said all off season, Lagway should have been prepped the whole off season to be the starter to begin the season, instead of the weak armed sack king. (noting personal Graham, you seem like a decent guy)
>>> But Lagway turned in the most impressive starting debut by a tFr QB in UF history.
And it was the 9th best passing day in UF history, including any Gator QB....

==========

Beginning this with the proviso that yes, it was against FCS Samford,,,,
Still, it ain't easy to put up those kinds of stats against air....

STAGGERING STATISTIC: During the 2023 season with Mertz at QB, the Gators totaled 39 pass completions of at least 20 yards (so-called "explosive plays") over 12 games.
-----
>>> Lagway had 4 in the first half of his debut and 9 for the game, with completions of
77, 44, 40, 22, 22, 36, 41, 24 and 85 yards!

Lagway - 18 of 25 72% for for 456 Yds, 3 TD's, 0 Ints.
TD's of 36, 44, 85 yds
. -- On his record setting day.
Quick Start? -- He started off the day going 6 for 6 for 193 yds.
He went 8 of 11 for 209 yards in the first half.
Then Lagway eclipsed Chris Leak's school record for most yards passing, 268 at Kentucky (4-8) in 2003, by a true freshman in his starting debut by 180 yards.

Oh BTW, he ran 5 times for 16 Yds, 3.2 ypc, so not up to his usual running ability. Why?

"He's been battling a shoulder injury. His arm has not necessarily been a 100% the last couple of weeks," Napier said. "He's been banged up a little bit. I think he finally, kind of [by the] end of the week this week, was healthy. You saw that tonight."
And that's why he didn't run much and why he'd slide instead of taking an unnecessary hit for a few more yards.

When's the last time the Gators had 2 receivers in a game go over 100 Yds each???

WR Eugene Wilson III 5-10 183 Soph - 6 for 141 Yds, 23.5 Yds/Rec
WR Elijhah Badger 6-1 192 Sr - 3 for 123 Yds, 41.0 Yds/Rec
---

Soph Eugene Wilson III had an 85 Yd quick pitch pass for a TD.
Red-shirt Fr Aidan Mizell 6-1.5 186 had a 41 Yd reception for a TD.
True Fr WR Tank Hawkins 5.9.5 176 had a 36 Yd reception for a TD.
-----
Red-shirt Soph TE Hayden Hansen 6-7.75 267 had a 40 Yd reception.

They finished up the scoring with Lagway's 4th Qtr backup:
QB Aidan Warner with a 9 Yd QB-keeper run for a TD.
Did Warner just steal Mertz'a backup to Lagway position???

UF 45 - 7 Samford on a 632 Yd offensive performance.

Reactions: LordofallSocks
Mertz has to be on a short leash and yes the team looked totally different with DJ at the helm but they were playing Fred Samford. I want to see DJ play a complete game vs an SEC team whether its A&M or Miss. State. The speed of an SEC team will let us know if DJ is the real deal vs some stiffer competition. DJ might be the only one that can save Billy's job with some wins this year. Cause you know Georgia, Bama and Ole Miss took notice of his performance last night. They all will need a QB next year and have plenty of money to throw around.

Mertz has to be on a short leash and yes the team looked totally different with DJ at the helm but they were playing Fred Samford. I want to see DJ play a complete game vs an SEC team whether its A&M or Miss. State. The speed of an SEC team will let us know if DJ is the real deal vs some stiffer competition. DJ might be the only one that can save Billy's job with some wins this year. Cause you know Georgia, Bama and Ole Miss took notice of his performance last night. They all will need a QB next year and have plenty of money to throw around.
Fred Samford? 😂
giphy.gif

If
Well Napier has another decision to make. Start Lagway or Mertz. It sounds like he may go with Mertz. I think it's the wrong decision for a couple of reasons. Despite A&M having a pretty good defense the start will be at home against a team struggling with offense. The next game would be against a Miss State team who looked pretty bad and let AZ State run all over them and then at home against UCF, after a bye week, who doesn't have the talent many teams do after that game. Put Lagway in and if he gets overwhelmed and it's really going bad switch back to Mertz for the game. If the defense shows up at all we should be able to keep A&M in the 20s giving us a chance.
If he has ANY chance at saving his job he will start and ride DJ. I get that it was Samford but let's be honest this is the first time we've seen our team throw the ball around the field. This kid is impressive, he's a winner, humble but can really play. Mertz is a good kid but he's not the best player at QB...not even close.

If

If he has ANY chance at saving his job he will start and ride DJ. I get that it was Samford but let's be honest this is the first time we've seen our team throw the ball around the field. This kid is impressive, he's a winner, humble but can really play. Mertz is a good kid but he's not the best player at QB...not even close.

Like other hard headed coaches my guess is he may think Mertz gives him the best chance to win. Just look at Mullen waiting until Franks was injured to start Trask. Mullen also had the same scenario with 2 of his prior QBs I think though the injuries weren't bad like Franks injury.

Pride goeth before destruction. It ruined Mullen's stint at Florida and it could very well usher Napier out the door ASAP. It's obvious to even casual observers that DJ Lagway is an elite talent who should be the UF QB. I have nothing against Graham Mertz, in contrast with others (well, one in particular) who continues to trash a guy who has given his all as a Gator. But Lagway is simply the better option - more mobile, more accurate as a downfield passer. Mertz seems like a quality individual and should accept his role as a mentor to the freshman Lagway, while DJ assumes the role as THE Man. And Billy Napier should read the teas leaves and his own locker room and see that fact. With the weak O-Line, terrible play calling and overall poor coaching, we will still probably have a losing season. But we have a better chance to win games with DJ at the helm than Graham. Just my humble, honest opinion as a lifelong Gator fan.

The iG's QB depth chart for the aTm game:
1. Lagway
2. Warner
3. Mertz - in his health interest, get 100% healthy before returning to the #2 spot.....

PS
The receivers no longer have an excuse.
Get off the line, get open, catch the ball, or go to the bench.

• Love
The iG's QB depth chart for the aTm game:
1. Lagway
2. Warner
3. Mertz - in his health interest, get 100% healthy before returning to the #2 spot.....

PS
The receivers no longer have an excuse.
Get off the line, get open, catch the ball, or go to the bench.
So awesome to see your care given to Mertz's health...very sweet indeed.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
Has this writer been reading my posts, or is he just seeing the same thing and being like-minded about it???

"I think the only way that Napier saves his job is if he starts freshman D.J. Lagway the rest of the season at quarterback. The Graham Mertz era of Gators football is over. The moment Napier trots Mertz back out there under center should be the moment Scott Stricklin leaves his suite to come down to the field and fire him on the spot. If it is in the middle of the game, I do not really care, man."

Has this writer been reading my posts, or is he just seeing the same thing and being like-minded about it???

"I think the only way that Napier saves his job is if he starts freshman D.J. Lagway the rest of the season at quarterback. The Graham Mertz era of Gators football is over. The moment Napier trots Mertz back out there under center should be the moment Scott Stricklin leaves his suite to come down to the field and fire him on the spot. If it is in the middle of the game, I do not really care, man."

The guy has clearly been reading your posts, you should sue for copyright infringement! Don't let some hack steal your intellectual property...

Some have their vision obscured by being in a warm, smelly, dark place.
Some others have a clearer view and so can see what is.......

"STAGGERING STATISTIC: During the 2023 season with Mertz at QB, the Gators totaled 39 pass completions of at least 20 yards (so-called "explosive plays") over 12 games."

EDIT CORRECTION TO THE ABOVE C&P ARTICLE POST --
Mertz ONLY attempted 39 passes over 20 yds, while HE only completed 18 of them!

-----
>>> Lagway had 4 in the first half of his true freshman debut and 9 for the game, with completions of -- 77, 44, 40, 22, 22, 36, 41, 24 and 85 yards!

TD's of 36, 44, 85 yds
Then Lagway eclipsed Chris Leak's school record for most yards passing, 268 at Kentucky (4-8) in 2003, by a true freshman in his starting debut by 180 yards.

So everyone can stick with the view that they are most comfortable with....

Last edited:
Will DJ put the Gators in the playoffs this season if he remains the starter?
Highly unlikely imo, but he'd have an outside chance at taking them to a bowl game.

Get a real OC that can plan for and properly use a dual threat QB and he might do so next season, but that's just fan speculation as is common here.

The guy has clearly been reading your posts, you should sue for copyright infringement! Don't let some hack steal your intellectual property...

Others on a Gator post game call-in show....​

@Gators1216

1 day ago
"Samford or not, dj put that ball right where it needed to be right in stride of the receivers. Don’t matter who you play, that looks good vs anyone. He can throw the ball better and deeper than Mertz. And keeps the defense back from blitzing cause he can run. Mertz can’t run. Easy to swallow him up. But dj definitely has what it takes especially as a true freshman. Tebow didn’t even do this and Tebow is a legend. Go gators!!! Oline sucks!!!"

Some have their vision obscured by being in a warm, smelly, dark place.
Some others have a clearer view and so can see what is.......

"STAGGERING STATISTIC: During the 2023 season with Mertz at QB, the Gators totaled 39 pass completions of at least 20 yards (so-called "explosive plays") over 12 games."

EDIT CORRECTION TO THE ABOVE C&P ARTICLE POST --
Mertz ONLY attempted 39 passes over 20 yds, while HE only completed 18 of them!

-----
>>> Lagway had 4 in the first half of his true freshman debut and 9 for the game, with completions of -- 77, 44, 40, 22, 22, 36, 41, 24 and 85 yards!

TD's of 36, 44, 85 yds

So everyone can stick with the view that they are most comfortable with....
Chunk plays can make up for a ton of mistakes.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I think Napier has already made it clear that if Mertz clears his last concussion protocol in time to get his practices in, he'll be the starter. I vehemently disagree, but what I say or think means nothing, so will just watch and hope for the best.

This story line is very similar to the one 3 years ago with Mullen, AR and Emory. And how did that turn out? AR lost a valuable year of learning which would have definitely helped his final season.

Mertz already losing games we shouldn't lose. Start Lagway. Mertz is limited as heck.
Damn you're a knuckle dragger. Mertz doesn't play the game alone. Which of the 7 he's lost as the starter was solely his fault? Arky where we scored 36 and lost? LSU where we scored 35 and lost? Mizzou where we scored 31 and lost? Kentucky where he was 25 for 30 250 and 2 tds? Utah where he was 31 for 44 333 yards? Georgia who only lost 1 game and was probably the best team in the nation? Or maybe Miami who destroyed us on both lines of scrimmage? Fine if you want Lagway over Mertz, but at least try and have some shred of intellectual honesty. When you score 30 and still lose, guess what, that ain't on the offense. No need to answer my question, it was rhetorical.

This story line is very similar to the one 3 years ago with Mullen, AR and Emory. And how did that turn out? AR lost a valuable year of learning which would have definitely helped his final season.
Now this is finally a solid point as to why start Lagway. Thank you Nick! Notice that Nick did not take any shots at Emory, but rather would have been nice to get AR some experience. AR went 6-6 as the starter, but had he gained some earlier starting experience might have won a couple of more.

One thing is certain. If Napier has brain one (let's not assume this), he won't announce a starter until extremely late in the week to make A$M prepare defensively for two different styles of play. So they are going to have to practice for dink and dunk,heavy blitzes, and 8 in the box vs playing bend but don't break. Believe me, not knowing makes it harder to prepare.

Reactions: Countygator1
Playing 2 QB's is NOT the way to go, IMO. Steve Spurrier made it work with 1 game vs. FSU, but he knew how to call plays. The downside of alternating QB's is way more than the upside. You choose a starter and go with him, but it SHOULD be DJ Lagway. Napier is an idjut if he does something different and I have nothing against Graham Mertz. I just want our team to have the best possible chance to win the game.

Reactions: NavigatorII
Playing 2 QB's is NOT the way to go, IMO. Steve Spurrier made it work with 1 game vs. FSU, but he knew how to call plays. The downside of alternating QB's is way more than the upside. You choose a starter and go with him, but it SHOULD be DJ Lagway. Napier is an idjut if he does something different and I have nothing against Graham Mertz. I just want our team to have the best possible chance to win the game.
I agree. The 2 QB deal rarely works. Name a starter and lets move forward. Personally, I would start Lagway for the reasons Nick mentioned. He's the future, this season will suck anyway, so let's get him ready now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT