ADVERTISEMENT

What do you think of your class so far?

fsu939913

Bull Gator
Jul 29, 2014
Who did u get that you are excited about?

Who did u miss on that u really needed?

What position will you be looking to add?

For fsu, QB Purdy is who im most excited about, Slim just wasnt cutting it.

We missed on DE Joseph who went to Tenn and we need DEs bad. We also didnt get a LOI for Malachi Wideman who is an athletic freak and we need some WRs so that double hurt.

Positions we need to fill are OT, WR, RB, and DE. We may look to go juco/portal for all of these.

Overall pretty happy with what norvell was able to do with 10 days

Who did u get that you are excited about?

Who did u miss on that u really needed?

What position will you be looking to add?

For fsu, QB Purdy is who im most excited about, Slim just wasnt cutting it.

We missed on DE Joseph who went to Tenn and we need DEs bad. We also didnt get a LOI for Malachi Wideman who is an athletic freak and we need some WRs so that double hurt.

Positions we need to fill are OT, WR, RB, and DE. We may look to go juco/portal for all of these.

Overall pretty happy with what norvell was able to do with 10 days
You will always get good athletes simply because you are a Florida school. That does not translate to coaches though, as we BOTH know. (and that includes scUM). LOL

Reactions: goldmom
You will always get good athletes simply because you are a Florida school. That does not translate to coaches though, as we BOTH know. (and that includes scUM). LOL

Yep. I actually think getting a top 15 class with a good coach who can develop is better than a top 5 recruiting class with no development. Development usually occurs with assistant coaches and coordinators. HC sets the tone of the team which is why we sucked so bad under willie

I couldn't believe it when I heard you hadn't signed a QB in four signing cycles. How inept was Willie? I heard one of your podcasts saying Jameis leaving in '15 shocked Jimbo.

I'm real happy with our class...we're filling needs...we're getting top notch guys too. I agree with FSU numbers the player development is the key. I think that we have a great staff. I believe in Mullen and company's ability to not just develop but coach on the field and scheme.

The early signing period was good...I think 18 guys signed already. Also we are bringing in guys on both sides of the LOS. The most exciting thing for me is the overall direction of the football program. Retaining our staff or upgrading it is going to be key but Mullen is a great HBC. I'm excited for the next few years.

1) Who did u get that you are excited about?

2) Who did u miss on that u really needed?

3) What position will you be looking to add?

1) QB-dt Tony 'Ant-man' Richardson

2) Nobody really, but Emmitt Jr at 5th string would have been a nice legacy addition.
5th string at UF is likely why he chose Stanford instead....

3) 1 RB, 1 WR, and the class is pretty lay-O-ded after that...
Gettin the 3 Hard verbal commits that are left on the list would be a solid plus.

Class standout solids:
2 LB's, 1 EE -- Plus xfer Cox is now eligible in 2020.
4 - OL, 3 are EE's
4 - DL, 1 EE
7 - DB's, 3 are EE's
The QB and 2 OL'men are already with the team and practicing.

1) QB-dt Tony 'Ant-man' Richardson

2) Nobody really, but Emmitt Jr at 5th string would have been a nice legacy addition.
5th string at UF is likely why he chose Stanford instead....

3) 1 RB, 1 WR, and the class is pretty lay-O-ded after that...
Gettin the 3 Hard verbal commits that are left on the list would be a solid plus.

Class standout solids:
2 LB's, 1 EE -- Plus xfer Cox is now eligible in 2020.
4 - OL, 3 are EE's
4 - DL, 1 EE
7 - DB's, 3 are EE's
The QB and 2 OL'men are already with the team and practicing.

Is the cox transfer from UGA? Wasnt he a high rated player? Any reason for the transfer?

Championships are won in the trenches. For 2 reasons. 1- the ability to dominate the LOS takes away what your opponent wants to do on both sides of the ball. 2- great line play makes offensive or defensive back look better.

Think of how much easier it is to defend the pass when your D-Line gets quick pressure. Or to run the ball through wide open holes or to stand in the pocket all day waiting for an open receiver.

We all get too caught up in the flashy players.

Reactions: fsu939913
Is the cox transfer from UGA? Wasnt he a high rated player? Any reason for the transfer?

Cox was the #2 LB and 5-star rated.
He's 6-4 247 rsSo in 2020.
Not sure of his position in Grantham's defense.
Size and speed. Could be a MLB (size) or a BUCK (OLB/DE. size/speed) depending on his desires and the team's needs.

Rumored to not be happy with UGly coaching / decisions. Depends on who you ask?

Last edited:
It was a very very good class IMO. Continued to stock up on both lines of scrimmage. Both Dexter and Wingo are going to be big time and will
Immediately begin to get PT. I’m a big fan of Anthony Richardson. I think he’s going to be our next great QB. He’s raw but not many better at developing a QB than Mullen. I would have liked to see us do better at WR an RB. Hopefully we can address that from now until February.

I couldn't believe it when I heard you hadn't signed a QB in four signing cycles. How inept was Willie? I heard one of your podcasts saying Jameis leaving in '15 shocked Jimbo.

We not went two without signing a QB (the signing class immediately after Jimbo left, and the following - so Taggart’s two recruiting classes). What has really hurt us at QB is that almost nobody Fisher signed stayed. Had a couple get in trouble (Henry & the Deondre that slapped some chick in a bar), a few that transferred. I don’t think any QB Fisher signed stayed for four years, and only Winston left to enter the NFL.

As to this year’s FSU class, our most important was obviously the new coach. I’m most excited about the new QBs and WR Robinson, but short term the biggest impact will probably come from the DE transferring from Louisville. He’s physically ready to step in as an immediate starter, and we badly need defensive line help. Would love to see us sign more OL in the February signing period.

Championships are won in the trenches. For 2 reasons. 1- the ability to dominate the LOS takes away what your opponent wants to do on both sides of the ball. 2- great line play makes offensive or defensive back look better.

Think of how much easier it is to defend the pass when your D-Line gets quick pressure. Or to run the ball through wide open holes or to stand in the pocket all day waiting for an open receiver.

We all get too caught up in the flashy players.
Amen to this. Charley Pell still catches a lot of hell because essentially he WAS Kang Kirby from a generation ago. But he recruited the road graders that brought UF back from the depths of hell in just one year. I compare him to Kirby because he couldn't coach a lick, and "cut a lot of corners" getting there. :D

Reactions: grommit
UK fans approve of FSU picking up Purdy:
Chubba Purdy to FSU

Purdy was UofLs highest rated recruit.

UK had a pretty decent class; one that should put us comfortably in the top 20, which is really good by UK historical standards. We did especially well on DL and OL which as other posters have noted is so crucial for success, especially in the SEC.

We took a DE from them as well... Then got a transfer DE from them... We pretty much owned them. At least we are doing it to someone. If it has to be 2 and 20 UL... So be it

Reactions: ukalum1988
Very solid class. The DL class may be the best in the country. We could use another WR, DB and RB. But the DL and OL top notch.
I'm sorry but how could we use another DB? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I saw 8 DBs already signed in this class alone. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about here, but that seems excessive a bit.

I really hate this ESD crap...it really only benefits programs with stability, doesn't factor in coaching changes. Heck, even coordinators leaving for better gigs can hurt a program during ESD. I think we've even seen coaches sticking around until after ESD is over because of this. Just go back to the way it was, NCAA.

I really hate this ESD crap...it really only benefits programs with stability, doesn't factor in coaching changes. Heck, even coordinators leaving for better gigs can hurt a program during ESD. I think we've even seen coaches sticking around until after ESD is over because of this. Just go back to the way it was, NCAA.

It sounded so good on paper. Its not tho. Coaches change teams right before, during or right after..... Not sure what the answer is. I just know this is not what most expected.

I get that but teams with no stability are at a disadvantage either way. The right coach can turn things around and you see it right away. UF wasn't very good for almost 10 years...we had 1 season under Chump and Mac did okay in a very weak SEC east but everyone knew that we were average or bad.

Either way if you have the right coaching staff that can recruit and you're winning you'll be good no matter what system there is.

ESD is a plus for the recruits that KNOW where they want to go already, and are sick and tired of the constant recruiting stress and the drag on their school and/or free time.
ESD is more for those student/recruits than it is for the schools imo.

Losing a coach/staff is a recruiting negative either way and the FNG's 1st class is usually a write off class either way.

ESD takes some of the upper 4-5 star's NSD show off BS away.
After watching the long term results for years now, I believe that too much is made of the 5 star rankings. Quality student/athletes are necessary for a programs success, but that's not necessarily dependent on the yearly recruits individual ranking, or on the year to year class rankings. -- Clemp's-son -- being the prime example of that.

And UF's recent success of their 3-stars over their 4-5-stars is another example of it. o_O
I'll take Dan with his chosen 3-4 stars over > 4th & Dumb with 5-stars. :cool:

In a rivals article: https://florida.rivals.com/news/gators-taking-steps-to-improve-line-play

On early signing day, Florida acquired 4 new guys for the O-line that includes 4-star OT Joshua Braun, 4-star OT Issiah Walker Jr., 3-star OT Gerald Mincey and 3-star OG Richard Leonard.

Projected 2020 OL:

LT Stone Forsythe 6-7 329 rsSr
RT Jean Delance 6-4 314 rsSr
LG/OC Brett Heggie 6-4 330 rsSr
OG Tanner Rowell 6-2 283 rsSr (former W-O)
OL T.J. Moore 6-5 305 rsJr
RG Richard Gouraige 6-4 298 rsSo
OC Griffin McDowell 6-3 295 rsSo (Fall 2019 scooter injury)

From Dan's first 2 full recruiting classes: o_O

OG Ethan White 6-5 355 So - 5 Gms
OT Michael Tarquin 6-5 279 rsFr - 2 Gms
OC Kingsley Eguakun 6-4 295 rsFr - 2 Gms
OT Will Harrod 6-5 334 rsFr - 1 Gm
OG Riley Simonds 6-4 303 rsFr - 1 Gm
OT Wardrick Wilson 6-4 304 Fr (unsigned, green card SNAFU)
(hopefully he can make it to school for the 2020 season) :cool:
OG Deyavie Hammond 6-4 318 Fr (academic causality) :confused:

OT Joshua Braun 6-6 335 Fr - EE - at bowl practice
OT Issiah Walker 6-4 310 Fr - EE
OG Richie Leonard 6-3 295 Fr - EE - at bowl practice
OT Gerald Mincey 6-5 317 Fr - ESD
OG Jovens Janvier 6-5 320 Fr - NSD, HARD commit.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but how could we use another DB? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I saw 8 DBs already signed in this class alone. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about here, but that seems excessive a bit.
You're right. I meant to type LB not DB. We have a pair of top notch LBs on board, but with all the injuries that happen, you need to go 2 deep across the board at LB position. It is more for depth. Injuries before the season started and then during the season left us a little thin there.

There’s pros and cons to the old way and the current way of signing FB recruits. Under the old way, top programs would string guys along right up to NSD, and then poach the top recruits of other schools if they missed out on their top targets. UK lost a number of guys to Ohio State and other schools that way. Of course, top recruits that had multiple options could play the game as well and drag out their recruitment to the bitter end.

From the perspective of a school like UK, the early NSD seems to be mostly positive. The one major down side is that schools that can their HC are now under the gun to hire a replacement pretty damn quickly. Those programs can really end up behind the 8-ball since there’s a relatively short window between the end of the season and NSD.

Imagine doing it 2 times in 3 yrs.... Yikes

You're right. I meant to type LB not DB. We have a pair of top notch LBs on board, but with all the injuries that happen, you need to go 2 deep across the board at LB position. It is more for depth. Injuries before the season started and then during the season left us a little thin there.

Projected LB's for 2020.
Since Grantham has a BUCK (OLB/DE) position, I list both (under 250 Lbs) not knowing where they will line up on any given day/play???

Jeremiah Moon 6-6 228 rsSr
Umstead Sanders 6-1 240 rsSr
Ventrell Miller 6-0 222 rsJr
James Houston IV 6-1 233 rsJr
Lacedrick Brunson 6-1 229 rsJr
Amari Burney 6-2 224 Jr
Andrew Chatfield Jr 6-0 243 rsSo
David Reese 6-0 220 rsSo
Brenton Cox Jr 6-4 247 rsSo - UGly xfer, eligible in 2020
Mohamoud Diabate 6-2 213 So
Khris Bogle 6-6 216 So
Ty'Ron Hopper 6-2 215 rsFr - 3 Gms
Jesiah Pierre 6-2 225 rsFr - 2 Gms
-----
Derek Wingo 6-2 210
Antwaun Powell 6-3 234

Projected LB's for 2020.
Since Grantham has a BUCK (OLB/DE) position, I list both (under 250 Lbs) not knowing where they will line up on any given day/play???

Jeremiah Moon 6-6 228 rsSr
Umstead Sanders 6-1 240 rsSr
Ventrell Miller 6-0 222 rsJr
James Houston IV 6-1 233 rsJr
Lacedrick Brunson 6-1 229 rsJr
Amari Burney 6-2 224 Jr
Andrew Chatfield Jr 6-0 243 rsSo
David Reese 6-0 220 rsSo
Brenton Cox Jr 6-4 247 rsSo - UGly xfer, eligible in 2020
Mohamoud Diabate 6-2 213 So
Khris Bogle 6-6 216 So
Ty'Ron Hopper 6-2 215 rsFr - 3 Gms
Jesiah Pierre 6-2 225 rsFr - 2 Gms
-----
Derek Wingo 6-2 210
Antwaun Powell 6-3 234
We're finally getting the roster filled out on both sides of the ball. Couldn't understand under Chump and Butters how they couldn't at least get the right number of bodies.

Unless you're like Meyer and your 2 deep rotation is all going to the NFL... it's ridiculous. Mullen continues to push us in the right direction.

Reactions: instaGATOR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT