ADVERTISEMENT

We need to see more Emory

I'm no coach, well i could be at FSU if the stars align here in the next month or two, but I believe Trask is doing something that's not necessarily all that difficult. he has 4 senior WR's who are all superbly capable receivers to pick from. Throw into that Grimes our junior, Pitts our sophomore TE, and even our freshman standout receiver #15. Opposing teams have so many passing threats to cover, it's pretty much impossible and there is just about ALWAYS a very talented target for our QB to throw to this year. That said, puttting Trask into the game pretty much guarantee's that our running game is nonexistent. So I propose the thought of what does Franks or Trask do as seniors next year when we lose those 4 senior WR's? We don't overmatch every defense with impossible personnel decisions. The QB job gets MUCH harder as the targets won't be nearly as open and reliable as this year. Do we somehow fix the unfixable and find a running game to complement Trask? With Franks you at least have mobility and in 2018, we had our best games from South Caroliney onwards when Franks was actively running the ball often making defenses shit themselves. We put up our best point totals at that point with Franks and didn't put the entire game on his throwing arm.

I will bring up point #2, both Franks and Trask are seniors next year. Last year of eligibility. Emory Jones is the future and we all know it. He redshirted last year. Used sparingly this year at best. Are you going to waste his second full year of eligibility in 2020 using him in "packages" here and there in the easy games behind Trask/Franks? At some point you could make the argument that planning for the future, and giving Emory Jones the starting spot in 2020 means that he's that much better for 2021 and 2022 when we could actually make a run at SEC and national titles. If 2021 is his first full year, probably doubtful we win anything that year and 2022 would be a gamble. I say this as I look at other schools around who commit to one guy early on and build with him. Froom at Buttlicker U has been the guy since he was a Freshman and all that game experience only makes him better with each year. Our QB's seem to barely get 1 full year under their belts before they're gone and we break in a new person.

Like I said, I don't know any better, not a coach myself yet but Tallahassee knows I'm available. It is a slippery slope these days in convincing your future playmakers to hang around yet another year and not be the starter because the guy in front of them will be a senior. Everyone is already talking about Franks as if he's gone at the end of this year because he most likely has lost the starting job to Trask.

The Gator running game is mostly about the OL being able to open holes to run through.
Fix that and the running game takes off with the stable of RB's that are there, now and next year. :cool:

Go review the projected receiver roster for 2020 before making ignorant claims... :rolleyes:

The Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award, announced in 2012 by the Tyler Chamber and SPORTyler, recognizes the top offensive player in Division I football who also exhibits the enduring characteristics that define Earl Campbell: integrity, performance, teamwork, sportsmanship, drive, community, and tenacity; specifically tenacity to persist and determination to overcome adversity and injury in pursuit of reaching goals.

TYLER, Texas – The Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award announced their weekly National Player of the Week on Tuesday, as Florida's Kyle Trask received honorable mention. The nod is Trask's 2nd honorable mention honor for the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award.

Trask threw for 300-plus yards (363) for the 2nd time in his career, while throwing for 275-plus yards for the 3rd time this season to become the 1st Gator since Tim Tebow (5-x's) to do so multiple times in a season. The performance also marks the 4th consecutive game Trask has completed 20-plus passes, while he also added his 3rd rushing TD of the season.

Dan Mullen: "I don't need a 'running QB,' I just need a QB that's willing and able to run when it's called for." o_O

And you are free to say whatever YOU believe, but sorry, you can't speak for WE ALL.... o_O

For 2020 == Trask - Franks - Jones - Richardson 6-4 230 4.5/40 - cannon arm.
And if you just want a WC-QB offense, then 'the Human Joystick' Toney would be the guy....
Emory will certainly get his shot at the job, but it's not the 'slam-dunk' that you seem to believe it is... JMOHO's of course. ;)

- Didnt Fromm win the starting job because Eason got hurt? Eason was in route to be what you explained but Fromm beat him out.

- With teams having so many passing threats to cover, it should make the running game go smoothly. It takes pressure off running games. I think our running game sucks due to other factors. Not Trask. Our running game sucked just as bad when Franks started before injury. Is that Trask's fault.

-We have as good of a chance as any to compete for titles next season if everyone stays healthy. It would be asinine to play for 2021.

It’s not Trask’s fault the run game is bad but without a run threat at QB you can’t run from the gun. The side they’re lined up on tips off which direction it’s going and because it starts east-west it’s slow developing so the backside end can chase down every play. That’s why you need a run threat to keep that backside end honest.

Our run game sucks because we call too many slow developing plays and we had bad guard play. But not having a run threat doesn’t help it any. So even when the line gets better the run game won’t be as good as it can be until that happens. Unless Mullen changes his offense.

It’s not Trask’s fault the run game is bad but without a run threat at QB you can’t run from the gun. The side they’re lined up on tips off which direction it’s going and because it starts east-west it’s slow developing so the backside end can chase down every play. That’s why you need a run threat to keep that backside end honest.

Our run game sucks because we call too many slow developing plays and we had bad guard play. But not having a run threat doesn’t help it any. So even when the line gets better the run game won’t be as good as it can be until that happens. Unless Mullen changes his offense.
I just think the read option works best when the QB is actually a threat to run. That's why I believe Jones could help our run game.

I just think the read option works best when the QB is actually a threat to run. That's why I believe Jones could help our run game.

Agreed.

I know Mullen has said he only needs a willing runner, but I think that was him avoiding criticizing his QBs. He needs a real run threat. He needs a guy who can hold the linebackers with play action from an empty backfield. He needs a guy that can run the option and have it actually be an option. He needs a guy that is an RPO. And yes, he needs a guy that is a threat on the read option. If Trask were a true run threat and had that arm, this offense would be stupid good. Not sure it would be at LSU level, but it would be in the same zipcode.

Agreed.

I know Mullen has said he only needs a willing runner, but I think that was him avoiding criticizing his QBs. He needs a real run threat. He needs a guy who can hold the linebackers with play action from an empty backfield. He needs a guy that can run the option and have it actually be an option. He needs a guy that is an RPO. And yes, he needs a guy that is a threat on the read option. If Trask were a true run threat and had that arm, this offense would be stupid good. Not sure it would be at LSU level, but it would be in the same zipcode.

No doubt. Trask with legs would be the ideal QB. That’s basically Trevor Lawrence. And I think that’s why Mullen went with Franks. Physically talented enough to run when he wants and a big arm, he just needed refinement as a passer.

I’m 100% good with Trask as the QB but people have to understand the run game and the offense as a whole will always be held back to some degree unless Mullen changes it. Look at the offense when Leak was here and Leak was stupid good as a passer. It would have to be more of an air raid style which we’re already kind of doing. But that style doesn’t win big if you can’t run.

No doubt. Trask with legs would be the ideal QB. That’s basically Trevor Lawrence. And I think that’s why Mullen went with Franks. Physically talented enough to run when he wants and a big arm, he just needed refinement as a passer.

I’m 100% good with Trask as the QB but people have to understand the run game and the offense as a whole will always be held back to some degree unless Mullen changes it. Look at the offense when Leak was here and Leak was stupid good as a passer. It would have to be more of an air raid style which we’re already kind of doing. But that style doesn’t win big if you can’t run.
Tebow got used a ton in 06, especially on short yards. Not sure why Mullen hasn't done the same thing with Jones on the short yardage plays.

So, make the few delusional here happy and start Jones in 2020. o_O

Put Trask at #2,,, and right after running Emory goes down, Trask will again be the starting QB to pull the Gator's chestnuts outta the injured starter fire.... :cool:

Then in 2021 Jones rsJr, Richardson rsFr, and Del Rio Fr can battle for the job.. ;).

Tebow got used a ton in 06, especially on short yards. Not sure why Mullen hasn't done the same thing with Jones on the short yardage plays.
Probably because Tebow was 235 lbs and Emory Jones is 200 lbs. Tebow enjoyed playing like a FB and running the ball on short yardage situations. Not sure the same can be said for Jones.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Probably because Tebow was 235 lbs and Emory Jones is 200 lbs. Tebow enjoyed playing like a FB and running the ball on short yardage situations. Not sure the same can be said for Jones.

Thank you @PacoGator19 for saving me the time to explain the obvious.

Just a couple of points of information for anyone interested in facts....

If anyone is looking for a #TBT trivia question, here's one:
Which Gators QB threw for the most yards in a single game?
A) Chris Leak, B) Steve Spurrier, C) Kyle Trask, D) Shane Matthews.
Note: And it was against an SEC Opponent, not a directional-U.
Ans -- Kyle Trask 25 for 363 yds vs VU (14.5 yds/comp) :eek:

In his 9 2019 games, Trask's QB stats are rock solid:
160 of 239, 66.9% for 2,011 yds, 12.6 yds/comp, 19 TD's, 6 Ints.
He also has 3 rushing TD's.

The trouble with QB-dt is the increase in injury potential. If you have a great passing QB on the roster, don't wast him doing what quality RB's can do.
Quality passing and game manager QB's are hard to come by, quality RB's are not.... o_O

Dan Mullen, like every other quality HC, changes his offense all the time.
He does it to adapt to the available personal, opponents defense, the weather, the time of day, and many other factors. Don't be dense.... :rolleyes:
======

As to Grantham's defense...

Florida's blanked Vanderbilt for its 3rd shutout of the season, the program's most in a season since 1988. The Gators are ranked ninth nationally in scoring defense (15.0 points per game).

Reactions: TennesseeGator
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT