ADVERTISEMENT

We need to see more Emory

Yep not very good. And refuses to throw the ball away. The guy sacks himself repeatedly.

He’s not in there because it’s a feel good story. He plays because he’s been our best offensive player since he started playing and we’re the number 10 team in the country, still trying to win the East and otherwise play on Jan 1. I’ll leave it up to Mullen.

When Trask is standing still in the pocket clean and throwing he’s great. He’s bad at everything else. Bad pocket presence, careless with the ball, painfully unathletic and on and on. The more he plays the more it becomes obvious why Mullen played Franks over him.

When Trask is standing still in the pocket clean and throwing he’s great. He’s bad at everything else. Bad pocket presence, careless with the ball, painfully unathletic and on and on. The more he plays the more it becomes obvious why Mullen played Franks over him.

You don’t think the offense has been better with Trask? Don’t know what you’ve been watching then. Has he been our best offensive player yes or no? If not, who’s been better? Pitts is more talented, but Trask has been our best player.

Trask is solid. Nothing more, nothing less. It would be nice to have a running game. That would help Trask out. I actually think all 3 QBs are all probably about the same. I think Mullen prefers Franks over Trask due to mobility.

You don’t think the offense has been better with Trask? Don’t know what you’ve been watching then. Has he been our best offensive player yes or no? If not, who’s been better? Pitts is more talented, but Trask has been our best player.

No he hasn’t been our best player.

To me, the offense has looked dramatically better with Trask. We’ll see in the off-season. I agree that big picture were better off with a running threat at qb. But for the rest of this year, Trask is our best option. He’s going to end up with some pretty nice numbers, and he’s started seven games in his career.

Pitts. Jefferson. Swain. Take your pick.

Mullen has done a great job scheming things open allowing him to get rid of it quick and throw to a talented group. When Trask can do that he’s great. When he’s asked to do literally anything else it’s painful. From throwing the ball away to executing an option. Me saying I can see why Mullen chose Franks isn’t some stump for Franks, I don’t think he’s the answer either. Neither one of them are. Trask is a very good pocket passer who has no other dimension to his game, Franks is a great athlete who struggles passing.

Pitts. Jefferson. Swain. Take your pick.

Mullen has done a great job scheming things open allowing him to get rid of it quick and throw to a talented group. When Trask can do that he’s great. When he’s asked to do literally anything else it’s painful. From throwing the ball away to executing an option. Me saying I can see why Mullen chose Franks isn’t some stump for Franks, I don’t think he’s the answer either. Neither one of them are. Trask is a very good pocket passer who has no other dimension to his game, Franks is a great athlete who struggles passing.

Fair enough. They have been good, although I think Trask has had a lot to do with it.

To me, the offense has looked dramatically better with Trask. We’ll see in the off-season. I agree that big picture were better off with a running threat at qb. But for the rest of this year, Trask is our best option. He’s going to end up with some pretty nice numbers, and he’s started seven games in his career.
Agreed
Is Trask the best QB in the world?? Obviously not. But he's light years ahead of Franks in the passing department, and with our run blocking, he was/is the best option for this year, and maybe even next year. I'd like to see Jones get more of a look, but I trust Mullen to make the right decision there (he's been adamant about not rushing QBs into situations they are not ready for)

Does Trask make frustrating/head scratching mistakes?? Definitely. But what you have to remember is that he hasn't played a tonne of football, and even the last 2 years, he struggled with injuries, which cut into his reps. The hope is that with (playing) time, he will iron things out and be ready to take the team to a SECCG, and ultimately the playoffs next year.

If you don't think Trask if the best option on our roster right now, I don't know what team you've been watching.

Reactions: bradleygator
Agree. I don’t think Franks gets his job back. If anything, I could see next year being a kind of split between Jones and Trask like Mullen did with Tebow and Leak.

As far as playing Jones more this year, I would like to see him get as many reps as possible, but you have to win these games. Double digit wins and a New Year’s Day Bowl is a big deal. I haven’t seen anything from Jones to this point that I want him taking meaningful snaps with the game in doubt, aside from planned runs and maybe a surprise pop downfield.

He’s a good runner but a shaky thrower, so everybody knows you’re going to run when he’s in the game.

As far as playing Jones more this year, I would like to see him get as many reps as possible, but you have to win these games. Double digit wins and a New Year’s Day Bowl is a big deal. I haven’t seen anything from Jones to this point that I want him taking meaningful snaps with the game in doubt, aside from planned runs and maybe a surprise pop downfield.

He’s a good runner but a shaky thrower, so everybody knows you’re going to run when he’s in the game.
Disagree...those are the plays he's been let run. He's very composed in the pocket, throws a great ball and makes good decisions. He can run too. Maybe Trask is the best guy this year but Jones is more dynamic in Mullen's offense. Hasn't gotten enough snaps yet to really know.

Jones looked fine against Auburn when we had to have a drive and they let him throw. Was also really good against LSU. Either way I think Trask is the rightful starter this year and should stay that way. We can’t run and have to pass first and he’s the right player for that. But as of now don’t think he’s the answer long term. You can’t be a game manager and take the drive killing sacks, throw reckless interceptions, and fumble at the rate he does. Mullen gotta go find a QB.

Agree. I don’t think Franks gets his job back. If anything, I could see next year being a kind of split between Jones and Trask like Mullen did with Tebow and Leak.
After the shit show that ensued after Greer went off the reservation, I think Trask has been a godsend. Think about that, that was a long time ago. I agree that Jones needs more snaps, after that strip sack for a touchdown, Trask should have been sipping Gatorade and holding a clip board. Vandy was done, and you could see them quit at that point. I don't understand Dan not pulling him at that point. We don't need anymore QB injuries.

Trask only threw for 360 yards today.

OK, but lets be fair, how many of those were short passes with great plays made bu athletes?

Not taking anything away from him, its as oozie said, with time he does great. Sacks himself often and that first red zone INT was inexcusable. He is fine for now, but he isn’t a QB to get us to the next level

Reactions: GatorNation79
OK, but lets be fair, how many of those were short passes with great plays made bu athletes?

Not taking anything away from him, its as oozie said, with time he does great. Sacks himself often and that first red zone INT was inexcusable. He is fine for now, but he isn’t a QB to get us to the next level
I don’t disagree but keep in mind we have zero running game.

I don’t disagree but keep in mind we have zero running game.

correct. And what he does is that much more impressive because of it

Mullen will have an excellent ground game when we find our DT-QB. Ao much of his stuff runs off that

Trask only threw for 360 yards today.
Trask takes bad sacks and it won't work against elite teams. He gets tons of credit though...360 yards is pretty great though. Vandy is like a D2

Grimes break away TD is a prime example. I love Trask and he's a lot better than I thought but when we lose like 5 guys that are really good on the outside after this year it will change things. Mullen is going to make a change IMO....part of the reason why Jones is getting snaps.

Trask takes bad sacks and it won't work against elite teams. He gets tons of credit though...360 yards is pretty great though. Vandy is like a D2

Grimes break away TD is a prime example. I love Trask and he's a lot better than I thought but when we lose like 5 guys that are really good on the outside after this year it will change things. Mullen is going to make a change IMO....part of the reason why Jones is getting snaps.

its funny because look at the early INT yesterday and the costly INT against LSU and I think back to what the analysts always said about Trask at spring practice “He struggles against the #1 D in the red zone.”

And he is getting us through this year. But I would be surprised if we aren’t trending to Emory come spring

Reactions: SwampLander
I hope Mullen can keep him as he comes off to me like a QB that could be pretty good if he got a few starts under his belt but no way do I see him beating Trask out next season since the running game will probably be mediocre again.

I hope Mullen can keep him as he comes off to me like a QB that could be pretty good if he got a few starts under his belt but no way do I see him beating Trask out next season since the running game will probably be mediocre again.

If he doesn’t start next year I am assuming he enters for transfer over the summer

Reactions: Gator Fever

LMFAO.... :D:D:D

Kyle Trask passed for the most yards by a UF QB since Tim Tebow's final game. Trask completed 25 of his 37 attempts (67.6%) for 363 yards, (14.5 yds/comp) with 3 TD's of 1, 66 and 15 yards, plus he ran 9 yds for another TD, (He also had a 3rd down 5 yard run for a 1st down).
Season QBR 138.84 --- (2.011 yds, 19 TD's, 6 Ints)

Jones had 3 rushing TD's of 13 - 3 - 1 yds.
Season QBR 129.19 -- 172 yds, 2 TD's, 0 Ints.

While Dan and Brian are not as QB-smart as oooozzzie is... :cool:

Our running game has sucked all year. I believe Jones would help that tremendously. Put me in the camp that thinks Jones needs much more playing time. Mullen has done a good job with Trask, but against the better teams we need more balance.

CG, Jones doesn't add to the running game, he just takes carries away from the RB's and the Jet-sweeps. If you really want a running WC-QB, then the 'Human-Joystick' Toney's the better choice.

True balance comes from the OL';s run blocking and the RB's, not from a running QB.

Jones can be the starter eventually I think, but he won't be this year unless Trask goes down, and maybe not even next year. Depends on who's back and how they ALL develop between now and Sept 2020. I will continue to trust Dan on deciding who that will be, but not even he knows yet who that will be when the time comes.

Trask-Franks-Jones-Richardson-etc??

CG, Jones doesn't add to the running game, he just takes carries away from the RB's and the Jet-sweeps. If you really want a running WC-QB, then the 'Human-Joystick' Toney's the better choice.

True balance comes from the OL';s run blocking and the RB's, not from a running QB.

Jones can be the starter eventually I think, but he won't be this year unless Trask goes down, and maybe not even next year. Depends on who's back and how they ALL develop between now and Sept 2020. I will continue to trust Dan on deciding who that will be, but not even he knows yet who that will be when the time comes.

Trask-Franks-Jones-Richardson-etc??

what is it you have said 1,000,000,000 times over the last 4 years

All we want is open competition going into the spring. So I know we have your support on that

Our running game has sucked all year. I believe Jones would help that tremendously. Put me in the camp that thinks Jones needs much more playing time. Mullen has done a good job with Trask, but against the better teams we need more balance.

jones would certainly improve the running game. And I think that is what some eluded to above. We need to prep for that because Trask loses a lot of these guys that are making him look good right now. (Ie - Grimes takes screen 66 yards)

what is it you have said 1,000,000,000 times over the last 4 years

All we want is open competition going into the spring. So I know we have your support on that

Absolutely correct. I'm open to any of them, and may the best man/QB win.
I'd even be okay with tFr Richardson as the starter, IF he's the best by Sept 2020. o_O

ALL the more reason, you want to have a DT QB . With our anemic run game, we would have a viable option. BUT overuse in the capacity runs the risk of injury.

jones would certainly improve the running game. And I think that is what some eluded to above. We need to prep for that because Trask loses a lot of these guys that are making him look good right now. (Ie - Grimes takes screen 66 yards)[/QUOTE]

Why don't you pull your dress back down, because your strong bias is showing yet again. :rolleyes:

I wonder (not really :rolleyes: ) why it is that some will say that Jones will improve the running game, but they never mention that he would hurt the passing game at the same time? :cool:

Last edited:
I'm no coach, well i could be at FSU if the stars align here in the next month or two, but I believe Trask is doing something that's not necessarily all that difficult. he has 4 senior WR's who are all superbly capable receivers to pick from. Throw into that Grimes our junior, Pitts our sophomore TE, and even our freshman standout receiver #15. Opposing teams have so many passing threats to cover, it's pretty much impossible and there is just about ALWAYS a very talented target for our QB to throw to this year. That said, puttting Trask into the game pretty much guarantee's that our running game is nonexistent. So I propose the thought of what does Franks or Trask do as seniors next year when we lose those 4 senior WR's? We don't overmatch every defense with impossible personnel decisions. The QB job gets MUCH harder as the targets won't be nearly as open and reliable as this year. Do we somehow fix the unfixable and find a running game to complement Trask? With Franks you at least have mobility and in 2018, we had our best games from South Caroliney onwards when Franks was actively running the ball often making defenses shit themselves. We put up our best point totals at that point with Franks and didn't put the entire game on his throwing arm.

I will bring up point #2, both Franks and Trask are seniors next year. Last year of eligibility. Emory Jones is the future and we all know it. He redshirted last year. Used sparingly this year at best. Are you going to waste his second full year of eligibility in 2020 using him in "packages" here and there in the easy games behind Trask/Franks? At some point you could make the argument that planning for the future, and giving Emory Jones the starting spot in 2020 means that he's that much better for 2021 and 2022 when we could actually make a run at SEC and national titles. If 2021 is his first full year, probably doubtful we win anything that year and 2022 would be a gamble. I say this as I look at other schools around who commit to one guy early on and build with him. Froom at Buttlicker U has been the guy since he was a Freshman and all that game experience only makes him better with each year. Our QB's seem to barely get 1 full year under their belts before they're gone and we break in a new person.

Like I said, I don't know any better, not a coach myself yet but Tallahassee knows I'm available. It is a slippery slope these days in convincing your future playmakers to hang around yet another year and not be the starter because the guy in front of them will be a senior. Everyone is already talking about Franks as if he's gone at the end of this year because he most likely has lost the starting job to Trask.

- Didnt Fromm win the starting job because Eason got hurt? Eason was in route to be what you explained but Fromm beat him out.

- With teams having so many passing threats to cover, it should make the running game go smoothly. It takes pressure off running games. I think our running game sucks due to other factors. Not Trask. Our running game sucked just as bad when Franks started before injury. Is that Trask's fault.

-We have as good of a chance as any to compete for titles next season if everyone stays healthy. It would be asinine to play for 2021.

- Didnt Fromm win the starting job because Eason got hurt? Eason was in route to be what you explained but Fromm beat him out.

- With teams having so many passing threats to cover, it should make the running game go smoothly. It takes pressure off running games. I think our running game sucks due to other factors. Not Trask. Our running game sucked just as bad when Franks started before injury. Is that Trask's fault.

-We have as good of a chance as any to compete for titles next season if everyone stays healthy. It would be asinine to play for 2021.

I think we take a step back next season looking at who we will be losing and the O line will be mediocre run blockers once again but with a little improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT