ADVERTISEMENT

Urban to the Jags?

PlutoDroid

Rowdy Reptile
Aug 16, 2015
According to this report :. https://www.si.com/college/florida/...eyer-expects-land-jacksonville-jaguars-report

The three time National Champion is expecting to land in Jacksonville. With his history of health concerns I wonder if this is a smart move. Then again in the NFL he only has to be concerned with football. No recruiting violations, or shaping young men. Harbaugh, and Carroll have proven it's possible to translate success from college to the NFL, but many others have failed. We will wait and see if/when this comes to happen.

I think this is a great fit. Like you said he can focus on football and leave the rest to the other staff. He is a great leader and has a great football mind. I might become a jags fan.

When he coached us I remember speculation about the NFL and always rolled my eyes at it.

he's successful because of recruiting....college motivation doesn't translate to 30 year old men....and ahem....his message seems to get stale over time.

hell, at the time, the shotgun formation wasn't considered "pro-style." I think we all remember hearing " (insert spread system QB name here) is going to have a tough time transitioning to the NFL because he's taken very few snaps from under center."

but, things have changed drastically in the last 5 years, and the more I think about it, the more I believe he might just kill it as an NFL coach.

no boosters, no recruiting, no turning the roster over constantly every few years.

he could be the CEO and run the show. Hire the right personnel, draft the right talent and keep it for a long time.

now....the question is would he want to go to a traditionally poor, disfunctional organization, or a traditional stable one?

I’m honestly not sure how he would do in the NFL but he is a very good CEO and very organized, etc. He’s been very successful everywhere he has been so I would lean towards the fact he would likely be very successful in the NFL.

Reactions: Swamplife0808
And he gets Sunshine Lawrence from Clemson. He currently boasts a 187-32 record as a head coach in college football with Florida, Ohio State, Utah and Bowling Green

I think his ego demands one try at the highest level. Would he be afforded the gm role like a Belichick? He seems like the type that would want full say over roster moves.

I think his ego demands one try at the highest level. Would he be afforded the gm role like a Belichick? He seems like the type that would want full say over roster moves.

i think if you're going to hire him, you might as well go all on. Let him hire an assistant gm to lighten the load but has the same philosophies while also understanding the nfl.

I think it could work, especially if he gets the right QB.

Reactions: gatordad3
When he coached us I remember speculation about the NFL and always rolled my eyes at it.

he's successful because of recruiting....college motivation doesn't translate to 30 year old men....and ahem....his message seems to get stale over time.

hell, at the time, the shotgun formation wasn't considered "pro-style." I think we all remember hearing " (insert spread system QB name here) is going to have a tough time transitioning to the NFL because he's taken very few snaps from under center."

but, things have changed drastically in the last 5 years, and the more I think about it, the more I believe he might just kill it as an NFL coach.

no boosters, no recruiting, no turning the roster over constantly every few years.

he could be the CEO and run the show. Hire the right personnel, draft the right talent and keep it for a long time.

now....the question is would he want to go to a traditionally poor, disfunctional organization, or a traditional stable one?
If anyone can bring a cluster F¥*K of a franchise back to the way Tom Coughlin initially built the Jags in a similar situation, it would be Urban Meyer.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Just saw on ESPN Gameday that if Urban Meyer turns it down then the Jags are going after Ryan Day at OSU.

Hello? Hello? This is free agency calling you to ask if you know where your children are right now.:rolleyes:

yeah I mean it's a little bit different than guys literally having to leave after 4 and having the option to leave after 3. And once you get your QB? Hell you can lock him up for a decade without second d thought.

It's different.

FWIW

According to a report from NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Jacksonville Jaguars have "shown interest" in former Florida Gators head coach Urban Meyer, and the current TV analyst for Fox Sports has told people he's close with that he "expects to land" with the Jaguars as the team's next head coach.

"The team has shown interest in former Florida and Ohio State coach Urban Meyer, who has been lining up a staff and telling people he's close to in the football community that he expects to land in Jacksonville, per sources," Rapoport writes.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...eyer-expects-land-jacksonville-jaguars-report

FWIW

According to a report from NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Jacksonville Jaguars have "shown interest" in former Florida Gators head coach Urban Meyer, and the current TV analyst for Fox Sports has told people he's close with that he "expects to land" with the Jaguars as the team's next head coach.

"The team has shown interest in former Florida and Ohio State coach Urban Meyer, who has been lining up a staff and telling people he's close to in the football community that he expects to land in Jacksonville, per sources," Rapoport writes.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...eyer-expects-land-jacksonville-jaguars-report
Shahid Khan better fork it out if he wants Urban.

Urban always did well becuz of recruiting

Maybe if you ignore what he did at Bowling Green and Utah, not exactly hotbeds of recruiting excellence at those schools.... 🤓

PS -- In the NFL you can buy players with no handicaps, so a good fit for UM.... ;)

Maybe if you ignore what he did at Bowling Green and Utah, not exactly hotbeds of recruiting excellence at those schools.... 🤓

PS -- In the NFL you can buy players with no handicaps, so a good fit for UM.... ;)

He recruited well for those schools.

Not entirely true. He could also motivate, assemble a good staff and is an excellent CEO. Recruiting was one of many things he could do at a very high level.

I know someone who played for Urban during your title runs with him and he said the number 1 thing urban did is make the scout team players just as important as tebow. He motivated everybody to be better but also as he said, he could recruit speed and knew exactly what he needed in a QB.

Just saw on ESPN Gameday that if Urban Meyer turns it down then the Jags are going after Ryan Day at OSU.
Ryan Day has already said he's not listening to any NFL offers as he loves it in Columbus and has younger children that are in school and doesn't want to move them around, You can bet OSU will throw some more money his way too

Let me guess, it was either Herbie or Desmond Howard.
4dyi65.gif

Ryan Day has already said he's not listening to any NFL offers as he loves it in Columbus and has younger children that are in school and doesn't want to move them around, You can bet OSU will throw some more money his way too
I really believe Ryan Day is the next to last person on Shad Khan's wish list as Eric Bienemy would be a far better candidate than Day, and Dan Mullen for that matter.

We can all speculate on Mullen to the NFL, but there is an actual report Urban is ready to jump. No doubt he is seeing the success Day has had following in his footsteps. While he is happy for that I have to wonder if he feels the need to prove his system still works. Remember Clemson destroyed him in his last trip to the playoffs. None of his QBs have ever lit up the NFL. You know he wants that chance.

I’m honestly not sure how he would do in the NFL but he is a very good CEO and very organized, etc. He’s been very successful everywhere he has been so I would lean towards the fact he would likely be very successful in the NFL.
As long as he brings his own personal medical staff with him. I don't want to look on the side lines in a crucial situation and realize he is lying down in the sideline injury tent. lol.........jim

This feels like a marketing driven decision more than anything. It’s impossible to predict a CFB coach’s success in the NFL. Even the GOAT, Saban, didn’t set the world on fire when he was at Miami.

ReRe,

Very few college coaches have been successful when jumping to the NFL.

9 head coaches who got it done in college and the NFL
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galle...-jimmy-johnson-pete-carroll-paul-brown-061115

Three Head Coaches have won it all at both levels.

Pete Carroll

Not so long ago, Carroll would have made the list of "Successful college coaches who flopped in the NFL." Not anymore. Carroll had two failed head-coaching gigs in the NFL before heading to college and taking the USC Trojans to the top of the mountain with consecutive national titles in the mid-2000s. He returned to the pros in 2010 with the Seattle Seahawks and soon took the team to one Super Bowl win and came within a play of winning a second. Let's see if he continues to build on his success.

Carroll, who has the moral integrity of a Gutter Rat, is also know for leaving USC one step ahead of the NCAA for buying a house for Reggie Bush's parents.

The sanctions were announced on June 10, 2010, and affected the USC football program from 2010 to 2012. Sanctions for the football team included postseason bans (2 years), scholarship losses (3 years), vacating old games (including a BCS Championship game), and disassociating with Reggie Bush. Separately, Bush returned his Heisman Trophy. USC head coach Pete Carroll also left USC shortly before sanctions were announced.

Two other coaches have won both titles - without using Real Estate deals -

Paul Brown

The Cleveland Browns are named after him, for Pete's sake. And if that wasn't enough, he went on to found the Cincinnati Bengals, as well. Paul Brown is a giant of the game and one its most treasured ancestors. He won three championships with the Browns and has been credited with several breakthroughs, including using game film to study opponents. However, did you know that Brown was the man who coached Ohio State to its first national title back in 1942? This was a man who got it done everywhere he went.

Jimmy Johnson

Johnson wasn't a household name when he was named the head coach at the University of Miami in 1984. But in five years in Coral Gables, he compiled a record of 52-9 and won a national championship and played for another. He was named the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 1989 and resurrected an organization that was sitting at the bottom of the league. The infamous Herschel Walker trade he orchestrated set the table for a run of Big D dominance that saw him win back-to-back Super Bowls.

Reactions: JIMBO1313
This feels like a marketing driven decision more than anything. It’s impossible to predict a CFB coach’s success in the NFL. Even the GOAT, Saban, didn’t set the world on fire when he was at Miami.

Saban was getting it together though. The front office over ruling him on Brees doomed it from the start.

Urban looks like he's walking into a great situation though.

He's going to get a top QB to develop, the Jags DO have some good, young talent, and something like 11 picks and $100 million in cap space to play with.

never forget this. Urban isn't a play caller. Never has been. He's always been big picture, talent evaluator (roster and staff) guy.

I also think the NFL game will be way less stressful on him. In the offseason, he can have an actual off-season. No recruiting constantly, no booster tours, and maybe most importantly, no pressure to win every single game.

imagine going from a mentality of every potential loss ruining your season, to making the playoffs by going just 10-6.

it's not an easy division though. The Colts could be a hot shot QB away from being a consistent 12-4 type team. The Texans have their QB and have shown for years now that they just need better coaching (and front office) to take them over the first round hump. The Titans have a great staff and a surprisingly good team despite not being as "modern" as others.

then again, I'm not sure other jobs don't have that same issue.

The Chargers are going to be really good, especially if they grab a guy like Bienemy. That division also has Reid and Mahomes, Gruden and Carr, and a Denver team that needs to figure out a few things but they aren't awful.

The Jets could at least become decent and the Bills and Dolphins are rising. The Patriots aren't going to become bottom dwellers. So it's not like that helps. And the pressure to win in New York is silly.

now....the question is would he want to go to a traditionally poor, dysfunctional organization, or a traditional stable one?

There are no poor NFL teams. Only cheap ones. Unless you mean poor as in lousy, then, yeah.

There are no poor NFL teams. Only cheap ones. Unless you mean poor as in lousy, then, yeah.

I meant lousy, which also means cheap owners.

the Bengals, for instance, are notoriously cheap, even when they have several years of promising teams.

Well it appears Harbaugh may be wanting back into the NFL. He is stalling on signing his extension.

Urban was a great college recruiter and coach. He has his character flaws and doesn't appear able to sustain the ups and downs of a long term commitment at one place. He has shown that when things get tough, he bails. How will that translate to the NFL? No one knows. Jacksonville was one game from the Super Bowl in 2017 and has a ton of cap space to rebuild quickly. With the right leadership, they can be relevant again fairly soon. I would love to see what Meyer could do and hope he gets the chance.

Reactions: gatordad3
Urban was a great college recruiter and coach. He has his character flaws and doesn't appear able to sustain the ups and downs of a long term commitment at one place. He has shown that when things get tough, he bails. How will that translate to the NFL? No one knows. Jacksonville was one game from the Super Bowl in 2017 and has a ton of cap space to rebuild quickly. With the right leadership, they can be relevant again fairly soon. I would love to see what Meyer could do and hope he gets the chance.
I totally forgot about 2017. I guess I forgot because all the seasons before that and after that have been very bad. You have to go back to the Brunell, Freddie T, J Smith & K McCardell days to find a good Jax team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT