ADVERTISEMENT

Ugh, the SEC is hard enough....

OSU is the most watched CF program and once Texas made it clear that they were not giving up their TV Network, the Big Ten never showed interest. Basically, Texas is a cancer.

Your nice little media ratings show TCU as the 8th most watched college football team. Texas has the most money and resides in the 2nd largest state. TCU not even in the top 5 most watched in their own state. This also shows FSU and UCLA in top 10?? Come on man. UCLA draws about 40k to their games. Nope, BIG screwed up but by the time they realized it was too late. Not saying Texas would've joined, but they knew it and then had to settle. BIG ADs were not happy with the commish. Voiced their displeasure publicly.

Anybody who thinks Texas is going to come into the SEC and try to bully everybody around is solely mistaken. Good luck with that. What are they going to do? Where are they going to go if they don’t get their way? We are way way past that point now.
BIG needs to push hard for ND. Although they really struggle to bring in the athletes needed to seriously compete for a title, they still have one of the largest fan bases in the nation. Oregan and Washington do not help with that.

Reactions: PacoGator19
BIG needs to push hard for ND. Although they really struggle to bring in the athletes needed to seriously compete for a title, they still have one of the largest fan bases in the nation. Oregan and Washington do not help with that.
I can understand Oregon and Washington because they got them at a discount and I get it with Southern Cal as they are in LA but the state of California and the majority of the west coast is mainly much more focused on pro sports as opposed to college sports. LA is all about pro sports.
Again love them or hate them Texas was always the biggest grab out there prior to all this realignment stuff. They were the biggest & most money revenue generating athletic program that wasn’t already in the Big 10 or SEC.

Sankey has even said this in the past. “We don’t need to be in four time zones to generate interest on the West coast or really across the globe.” I can’t say I disagree with him to be honest.

Reactions: goldmom
Some teams always get pretty good TV ratings but a lot of the time how good you are doing determines national eyeballs on your big games. My guess is UF was right near the top in TV ratings in 2008.

I just want you to know if we come to your conference I'm not chanting SEC if we win anything of significance (probably won't have to worry about that) but just thought I should clarify.

Big should be pushing all chips in on fsu, Clemson, unc, and ND. That would make the big equal or better than the sec at the top. It's the only way. The big would have inserted USC, Oregon, ND, FSU, and Clemson vs the sec who only got OU and Texas. That would bring the conferences even or a slight edge to the big.

If the SEC can get fsu and Clemson, it's over forever for the Big and they can never catch the SEC.

It's ratings not markets. My bet is on Saturday more people in the state of Alabama spend all day watching CFB than they do in NYC, Portland etc. If it was all about markets then professional soccer would be way more popular. Ratings drive TV dollar value. Big 10 has done a great job of staying relevant and this thing it going to be a two conference race.
Valid point. Quality over Quantity type scenario.

It was said above that Texas has to share viewers. Not really. If that is the case, Washington shares with Wazzu and Oregon shares with Oregon State.

Texas and A&M get the eyeballs. Not many in Houston and DFW are intrigued by Houston, SMU, or UNT.

TCU, Baylor etc do pickup eyeballs for the Big 12 but nothing compares to TX and A&M.

Then with the money made one has to think of money spent. Sending the swim team from Columbia, SC to Austin, TX vs Seattle, WA to State College, PA. will eventually cut into some funds.

Big should be pushing all chips in on fsu, Clemson, unc, and ND. That would make the big equal or better than the sec at the top. It's the only way. The big would have inserted USC, Oregon, ND, FSU, and Clemson vs the sec who only got OU and Texas. That would bring the conferences even or a slight edge to the big.

If the SEC can get fsu and Clemson, it's over forever for the Big and they can never catch the SEC.
That's just ridiculous and I won't even bother to address it. The B1G is national, SEC is regional. End of story.

The B1G will eventually go to 20 teams with the final 2 being ND and ASU and the massive Phoenix market. which will give the B1G around 55 to 57 percent of all college eyeballs. They're already paying out $20 to 30 million more per team than what the REGIONAL SEC is paying out. Have fun looking up at your Big Brother Big Ten

Last edited:
That's just ridiculous and I won't even bother to address it. The B1G is national, SEC is regional. End of story.

The B1G will eventually go to 20 teams with the final 2 being ND and ASU and the massive Phoenix market. which will give the B1G around 55 to 57 percent of all college eyeballs. They're already paying out $20 to 30 million more per team than what the REGIONAL SEC is paying out. Have fun looking up at your Big Brother Big Ten
National titles since 2000:

SEC: 14
Big 10: 2

Lol.

I don’t pretend to know anything but I’m not even sure if the SEC or Big 10 want FSU or Clemson. I personally don’t really get the attraction to Clemson to be honest. I think people are sleeping on UNC quite frankly. I also don’t think the SEC wants to add more than 2 teams at most. I think SEC would prefer UNC over Clemson but again I don’t pretend to know what I’m taking about.

Last edited:

LOL!!!!!!!

You people need to forget the Civil War. Nobody, outside of the SEC, is interested in a Hillbillie Hoedown. All of the big TV markets - AND MONEY - is in the B1G TV markets. End of story,
Speaking of Hoedown, reminded me of a chick I dated from Notre Dame.

You people need to forget the Civil War. Nobody, outside of the SEC, is interested in a Hillbillie Hoedown. All of the big TV markets - AND MONEY - is in the B1G TV markets. End of story,
Yea I’m sure nobody is interested in who actually wins national championships, etc or results on the field, or recruiting, NFL etc. Let’s not get carried away here.I think your anger is likely misplaced.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
First of all, the more I hear, the more I think Notre Dame will never join a conference.

And Arizona State to the Big10? How?

It's also my understanding that UNC and Duke are a packaged deal.

First of all, the more I hear, the more I think Notre Dame will never join a conference.

And Arizona State to the Big10? How?

It's also my understanding that UNC and Duke are a packaged deal.
Yes will be interesting to see how it shakes out. I would think UNC is highly wanted by both the SEC and Big 10 but Duke not so much. Does UNC bolt because the offer is too good to pass up or are they truly a package deal with Duke? I don’t think the SEC or Big 10 would want Duke.

Interesting about UNC and Duke being a package deal. No question UNC is the next big get. SEC sitting at 18 and will most likely go to 20 soon. BIG is on its way to 24. Crazy crazy.

UNC is more wanted than Clemson I would think Much more prestigious of a school, better academics and a better athletic program. I could be wrong but Clemson’s athletics are typically not that great outside of their football program and even their football program hasn’t always been good.
It's usually about football and football only. Although not always a champion pedigree... Clemson brings eyeballs. In person and on TV. Female soccer, even basketball, and good grades isn't what the conferences are after. Sure it helps when neck and neck but it's not a deal breaker.

The football program doesn't have to have a Oklahoma, ND, Bama type history. Nor do they need exceptional academics. I mean hell the SEC first expanded by taking South Carolina and later A&M and Missouri. Eyeballs.

Personally I prefer UNC over Clemson but!!!

Reactions: Nicktheslick
It's usually about football and football only. Although not always a champion pedigree... Clemson brings eyeballs. In person and on TV. Female soccer, even basketball, and good grades isn't what the conferences are after. Sure it helps when neck and neck but it's not a deal breaker.

The football program doesn't have to have a Oklahoma, ND, Bama type history. Nor do they need exceptional academics. I mean hell the SEC first expanded by taking South Carolina and later A&M and Missouri. Eyeballs.

Personally I prefer UNC over Clemson but!!!
Yes and no. The SEC took USCe, A&M and Mizzou to get eyeballs and TV viewership in those states as at the time the SEC wasn’t represented in those states at all, which is why I don’t think Clemson is wanted by the SEC as much as some people think, etc whereas UNC is a much more prestigious school, better athletic program and gets you into the state of North Carolina. Yes Clemson has had some very good years in football with Dabo but prior to that it wasn’t much. I may be wrong but outside of a few good years from Clemson football they don’t offer that much IMO. And not sure if this makes a difference or not in SECs decision making but you can bet that South Carolina would vote “no” for Clemson being added to the SEC.

😂

I’m not sure what the war between the states has to do with this but outside of OSU and Michigan you’re lucky to get 40K in a stadium on Saturday. Indiana vs Rutgers, Minnesota vs Purdue, Northwestern vs Maryland. Wow talk about snooze city.

Where's all these Natties from B1G and ND the past few decades? Haha, the past 30 years, there's only been 6 natties by schools outside of the southeastern US, you know the "regional" place, haha, and 3 of those 6 natties were in the 90's by a single team Nebraska. The other 3 were 2 by Ohio St and 1 by Socal, so in the past 30 years only 3 schools outside of the southeastern US have won a Nattie and the most recent was 9 years ago, haha. If you just include historical SEC teams, it's 16 out of the past 30 Natties and 18 of 30 if including Texas and Oklahoma as current SEC teams. I don't even want FSU and Clemson because they are subpar second rate academic institutions that don't even have the most fans in their own states. I prefer the state flagship schools of UNC and UVA to finish off the geographic southeastern US for a true historical and cultural SEC conference. Culturally and geographically, FSU and Clemson are SEC so I wouldn't reject them but they are 3 and 4 to me after UNC and UVA, even though UNC and UVA suck ass at football, they are two southeastern states' flagship schools, which are feathers in any conference's hats. And if/when FSU and Clemson do join SEC, then SEC would have 23 of last 30 Natties by 10 different teams vs 7 of 30 by B1G by just 3 different teams, 1 historical B1G and 2 current B1G teams from before they were B1G, hahahaha, which conference is the national one and which is the regional one? Haha, how about the one that puts the Natties in National, haha. The Northeast, Midwest, and West Coast are all decaying while the Southeast is having growth in population, businesses, jobs, better weather, better beaches, etc. Haha, B1G and ND have sucked for years, historical, current, and new teams, haha. I've lived in 9 states across the country with both parents from North Jersey and eastern Mass so I don't have bias to the southeast, just been around the block.

Last edited:
Yeah NJ’s right. The Top 20 ranked Public Universities always include second rate academic institutions.
Meanwhile - schools like UK which is ranked 64th (per today’s WSJ) fit right in to the SEC.
BTW I’ve lived in 9 states too, including NJ.

This is totally wrong - especially with Oregon. I found this list online and Oregon is generally regarded one of the top 10 fan bases in the country Washington - depending on the list - is usually somewhere around 15 to 25. This list was from 2022 so the conference fan bases will shift somewhat with the recent SEC and Big Ten additions in 2024 and beyond

But what many aren't understanding about Oregon is the absolutely unbelievable, MASSIVE backing they get from alumni Phil Knight and his NIKE money. He was determined - at any cost - to get Oregon in the Big Ten. He's already donated somewhere between $1 to 2 BILLION to his beloved Oregon - much of it to their athletic department. He ran track & field for Oregon and it was mostly his money that was responsible for upgrading legendary Hayward Field in Eugene - widely considered the finest Track & Field facility in the world.

Basically, Oregon gets what they want from Knight and NIKE. That decreased 4 or 5 year payout for Oregon of $30 million (plus $1 million yearly) is chump, pocket change for Knight. Oregon needs something - they get it

This is totally wrong - especially with Oregon. I found this list online and Oregon is generally regarded one of the top 10 fan bases in the country Washington - depending on the list - is usually somewhere around 15 to 25. This list was from 2022 so the conference fan bases will shift somewhat with the recent SEC and Big Ten additions in 2024 and beyond

But what many aren't understanding about Oregon is the absolutely unbelievable, MASSIVE backing they get from alumni Phil Knight and his NIKE money. He was determined - at any cost - to get Oregon in the Big Ten. He's already donated somewhere between $1 to 2 BILLION to his beloved Oregon - much of it to their athletic department. He ran track & field for Oregon and it was mostly his money that was responsible for upgrading legendary Hayward Field in Eugene - widely considered the finest Track & Field facility in the world.

Basically, Oregon gets what they want from Knight and NIKE. That decreased 4 or 5 year payout for Oregon of $30 million (plus $1 million yearly) is chump, pocket change for Knight. Oregon needs something - they get it
You really think oregon is ahead of Bama, UGA, Tenn, LSU, etc? Good lord. No, oregon does not command more tv market that those I listed. Maybe in track. Oregon probably in top 20, but Washingtong most likely not in top 50.

You really think oregon is ahead of Bama, UGA, Tenn, LSU, etc? Good lord. No, oregon does not command more tv market that those I listed. Maybe in track. Oregon probably in top 20, but Washingtong most likely not in top 50.
Jesus H Christ. People pull up lists - ratings and some (not all) argue with their own biases. Here's another rating for you to - somehow - argue with

What many are missing - and the strategy of the B1G Ten - is that they're in on many primary NFL huge markets - NYC, Philly, Chicago. L.A. etc - 50 to 51% of CF - in 2024, but on Saturdays, many of those big NFL fans will tune into watch CF on Saturdays. I'm basically in that boat being a Steelers (AFC) and Bears (NFC) but will tune in on several CF games on Saturdays.

The other Big Ten strategy is to be on TV around the clock on Saturdays from the first game in the late morning - early afternoon until the last game on the West Coast late at night. They've basically turned into a national conference

Last edited:
FSU and the SEC…

D3HVQJ.gif

Yeah NJ’s right. The Top 20 ranked Public Universities always include second rate academic institutions.
Meanwhile - schools like UK which is ranked 64th (per today’s WSJ) fit right in to the SEC.
BTW I’ve lived in 9 states too, including NJ.
Ok, ok, let FSU in. I live in the middle of the Carolinas so having Clemson in too would give me another closer away game for when Gators come so not bad either. If UNC gets in too, then I'd have away game options in three different directions all within 3 hours drive of me, SCar, Clemson, UNC, so I'd be content.

Jesus H Christ. People pull up lists - ratings and some (not all) argue with their own biases. Here's another rating for you to - somehow - argue with

What many are missing - and the strategy of the B1G Ten - is that they're in on many primary NFL huge markets - NYC, Philly, Chicago. L.A. etc - 50 to 51% of CF - in 2024, but on Saturdays, many of those big NFL fans will tune into watch CF on Saturdays. I'm basically in that boat being a Steelers (AFC) and Bears (NFC) but will tune in on several CF games on Saturdays.

The other Big Ten strategy is to be on TV around the clock on Saturdays from the first game in the late morning - early afternoon until the last game on the West Coast late at night. They've basically turned into a national conference
Let me help you out, go to sports media watch. They will give you the individual game TV ratings for CFB games the last 5 years. Wanna guess how many times Oregon or Washington occupied the top spot over the last 5 years? Top 5? Top 10? Also the fascinating part is there are some networks (CBSSSN for example) that don't participate in the Nielson ratings. So instead of posting some opinion bias articles that maniuplate their data go right to the source. Also go pull up Wall Street Journals financial value of college football programs. You will see very quickly why Texas and Oklahoma were the crown jewels of conference realiagnment. As I stated, Oregon and Washington were plan B after the BIG commish didn't pursue Texas. But they are solid adds for the BIG and will make this a two conference race. It's not that difficult, or I guess it is?

Scoreboard…lol…
I understand the angst of these Big 10 fans. To be candid the SEC is taking the fun out of college football. The domination is to the point I pull against all the SEC teams. And bad news for the BIG...adding oregon and washington do nothing to help them compete against the SEC. I do think adding USC will make them more competitive.

I understand the angst of these Big 10 fans. To be candid the SEC is taking the fun out of college football. The domination is to the point I pull against all the SEC teams. And bad news for the BIG...adding oregon and washington do nothing to help them compete against the SEC. I do think adding USC will make them more competitive.
Agreed. Bigger isn’t necessarily better. There are many other examples of corporate interests growing too big or too fast to effectively manage such that the growth has a negative return or effect.

You kind of get that sense here.

Conferences are expanding for the sake of expanding with no significant consideration to the logistics and problems they are creating.

It really seems like something that is eventually going to bite the conference leadership in the asses.

And at the very least, it’s not good for the health of the sport.

It’s pretty much an acceptable answer to almost every one of life’s questions.

“I’d like to consider hiring this employee, but they went to Florida State…”

“Man, that chick is hot, but I don’t want any long-term diseases and she’s wearing a cowboy hat and has a nole tattoo on her ankle…”

“I’d really like to go to college, but I also value my self-worth…”

“That nice used car salesman really wants me to buy that maroon car with the gold trim….”

“I’m actually thinking about tipping the McDonald’s drive-thru crew…”

“Our conference will gain value if we add Oregon State, but we need to add one more team….”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT