ADVERTISEMENT

Trask seems to

Aug 28, 2010
fumble quite often when hit in the pocket. Is that simply poor O line protection or does he have some culpability? If so, can that be coached out of him or is that just a liability that he presents as our starter? Franks didn’t fumble nearly as much when sacked or pressed in the pocket.

Could Trask be looking for the perfect pass and holding the ball too long? The offensive line isn’t reliable enough to sit back there waiting for a receiver to get open on every play. Watching Emory play it seems as if he likes to let the ball rip when he’s in the pocket, no wasted time. Trask seemingly prefers to wait for the play to develop and never throws the ball away when a receiver isn’t open.

I trust Mullen completely, and Trask without a doubt in my mind should be the starter; but would definitely like to see more than just a couple of packages for Jones per game.

fumble quite often when hit in the pocket. Is that simply poor O line protection or does he have some culpability? If so, can that be coached out of him or is that just a liability that he presents as our starter? Franks didn’t fumble nearly as much when sacked or pressed in the pocket.

Could Trask be looking for the perfect pass and holding the ball too long? The offensive line isn’t reliable enough to sit back there waiting for a receiver to get open on every play. Watching Emory play it seems as if he likes to let the ball rip when he’s in the pocket, no wasted time. Trask seemingly prefers to wait for the play to develop and never throws the ball away when a receiver isn’t open.

I trust Mullen completely, and Trask without a doubt in my mind should be the starter; but would definitely like to see more than just a couple of packages for Jones per game.

Trask is lacking in pocket awareness.

It really can't be taught, but you can get around it. He just needs to count 4 Mississippi, and if he hasn't thrown it he needs to secure it and start moving out of the tackle box to throw it away.

Listen to me. As if I know more than Mullen. :rolleyes: LOL.

Would you rather have a 4-star 3 Int Nix, or a 2-star 2 TD, 0 Int Trask??? :cool:

Constantly looking a 4-0, 3-0 SEC gift-horse in the mouth.... :rolleyes:

In his 4 career starts at UF, Trask compares well with the other 13 QB's that had at least 4 starts, over the past 20 years::

1. Trask - Passing yards.- 1,028

1t. Trask - Most completions - 80.

(1t Del Rio)

3. Most Pass attempts - 118
(1.DelRio 139 - 2.Leak 126

3. Completion % - 67.8
(1.Driskel 70.7 - 2.Tebow 68.4)

3. Passing TD's - 9 (3 Ints)
(1t Tebow 10 - 1 Int - 1t. Grossman 10 - 3 Ints)

None of the others 4 games included 2 Top 10 SEC teams.
Or coming in an SEC game in the 3rd Qtr, down 11, on the road, and winning.

TOLJA... :cool:

==========

"I think what shows is the maturity he has and the preparation he's had over the last couple of years,'' Mullen said. "When his number is called, it's not like, 'OK, we got to hold back.' He's prepared himself to be the starting quarterback since the day that we got here." (no Dan, since he was a Fr in HS) o_O

Dan, this is not new for Kyle.

His HS coach played him in the 3rd and 7th series in their games.
The starting QB called him the team's 1b QB, not the backup QB.
He threw for 70+%, 17 TD's to 0 Ints, about like he plays right now against the best defenses in college football. o_O

I'm not in the least bit surprised by him or what he's been able to do so far.
Only to the clueless jerks was he a no talent 2 star career backup QB. :cool:

The jerks are easy to spot. They're the one's that are now jumping on the 'I always knew' bandwagon and flapping their forked tongues...:rolleyes:

Besides what he has done on the field, Trask has flashed leadership qualities that were hidden when he was buried down the depth chart. He plays with a burning fire underneath the laid-back demeanor he displays in casual conversation or around campus. -- Scott Carter journalist bs.

The 'Eagle Scout' that already has his UF degree and is working towards his Masters, has always displayed leadership, for those not to dumb/blind to see it. He has not changed, he's just like he's always been, doing his jobs at every level and working for and supporting his team. This is NOT NEW, are you??? o_O

https://floridagators.com/news/2019...mergence-has-recast-perception-of-gators.aspx

He holds the ball too long, because he’s trying to go downfield, so it’s a tricky balance. But I think he’s getting better as he plays more. I didn’t think it was as much an issue in the LSU game. In the Auburn game, it was bad.

Now Dan likes the 2 QB system. :rolleyes:
My question is; where was that attitude when Franks was the starter?
Seems a bit hypocritical to me. :oops:
And an occasional package is not a 2 QB system, but even so, leaving Trask out of it tells me it's a BS claim. o_O

Before:
1. Franks - 2. Trask - 3. Jones
Franks starter - Jones with an occasional package/series - Trask was left out

After
1. Trask - 2. Jones with both packages and with random playing time during games. --- Franks injured out for the season

What it looks like to me is that they know that Trask is the best QB.
But they would like to keep Jones as the #2, so they are paying him off with playing time. Both understandable and reasonable imo.

JMOHO's as always:
I don't see Franks coming back in 2020.
1a. Trask rsSr - best passer by far
(Trask and Jones are no where near the same type of QB's)
1b. Jones rsSo - best QB runner by far, (while wcQB Toney's out)
3. Richardson Fr - we'll have to wait and see, but he could eventually be the best at both.

PS
And if they could give practice snaps to 3 QB before, then why not now that Franks is out? o_O
Sproles or one of the other many HS QB's that are on the roster should be getting some #3 reps for QB depth. Trask knees are now a target, as both AU and LSU have shown. Not getting a 3rd QB ready to go is poor planning / preparation imo.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...s-of-two-QB-system-praises-his-guys-137046810

He holds the ball too long, because he’s trying to go downfield, so it’s a tricky balance. But I think he’s getting better as he plays more. I didn’t think it was as much an issue in the LSU game. In the Auburn game, it was bad.
He's getting better but like oozie said, he did much better against LSU. I would like to see more of Emory too if they keep the 2 QB's going.

QB Kyle Trask threw for 200 yards and 4 TD's to 4 different receivers in the win over SCa.

It was the first time a UF QB threw for 4 TD passes on the road since Tim Tebow in 2007.

QB Kyle Trask threw for 200 yards and 4 TD's to 4 different receivers in the win over SCa.

It was the first time a UF QB threw for 4 TD passes on the road since Tim Tebow in 2007.
He's playing great. Couldn't be more happy for him. He's getting better every week. Big one in Jacksonville.

Another note on Trask, and some other Gators....

Florida quarterback Kyle Trask threw a career-high 4 TD's and became the first UF player to throw for 3 TD's or more in back-to-back SEC games since Rex Grossman in 2001.

He's keeping some pretty good company (Tebow/Grossman).
He might just be even better than I always thought that he was... ;)

Notes:
CB Henderson named to the Jim Thorpe Award Semifinalist List
WR/RB/PR Jacob Copeland
named SEC Fr of the Week.
P Tommy Townsend
named a Ray Guy Punter of the Week.

Another note on Trask, and some other Gators....

Florida quarterback Kyle Trask threw a career-high 4 TD's and became the first UF player to throw for 3 TD's or more in back-to-back SEC games since Rex Grossman in 2001.

He's keeping some pretty good company (Tebow/Grossman).
He might just be even better than I always thought that he was... ;)

Notes:
CB Henderson named to the Jim Thorpe Award Semifinalist List
WR/RB/PR Jacob Copeland
named SEC Fr of the Week.
P Tommy Townsend
named a Ray Guy Punter of the Week.
You said that already but you're 100% correct....honestly I'm happily surprised with his play and the way that he's handling things. I think some credit goes to the program and the way that the coaches are managing things....the rest of the credit goes to Trask. Outstanding kid. I never thought he wasn't a great guy but he's a lot better than I expected and good for him. Guy has been the unforgotten player that's killing it.

Great job from him having problems throwing the ball early in the weather and making those adjustments. Lots of players on the team but he has a huge hand in the success we're seeing with the UF Football program.

The Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award announced their weekly honors on Tuesday,.

Florida's Kyle Trask was named honorable mention
for his efforts in a crucial 38-27 win over South Carolina on Saturday.

Trask ranks 3rd in the SEC in QBR (159.20), while sitting 3rd in passing TD's (14) and 4th in completion percentage (67.46%) and yards per pass attempt (8.2).

Trask completed 21 of his 33 passes on the day for 200 yards, 1 Int and a career-high 4 TD's. Not bad season numbers, considering that his 1st start wasn't until Game-4.

Last edited:
I've been saying it for a long time already, from watching Kyle's HS film, and what he's done in his 3 O&B games, but just in case some still think I'm just a blind Kyle homer, how about a couple of opinions from the professionals.

"Kyle has done a tremendous job coming in and taking over and not skipping a beat,'' Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart said Wednesday. "He's a good quarterback. He's more athletic than you think he is. He does a great job running and has a great group of wide receivers. Dan has always done a great job with his quarterbacks."

"He does a great job,'' Gators head coach Dan Mullen said. "He's really a smart player. He gets them into the right plays, can check and manage what's going on. He can get things picked up. He's an accurate guy with the ball in his hand and also has the ability to extend some plays. He's athletic when he starts to scramble and can make things happen."

In 5.3 games, Trask Passing: (only loss @ #2 LSU)
114 of 169, 67.5% for 1,391 yds, 12.2 yds/comp, 14 TD's to 4 Ints, a 3.5 to 1 ratio.
Not bad numbers for starting in the first 5 games of his UF career.

In his 3rd year, in 7 games, Fromm Passing: (a home loss to NR SCa)
123 of 174, 70.7% for 1,406 yds, 11.4 yds/rec, 9 TD's to 3 Ints, a 3 to 1 ratio.
He's being carried by his OL and RB's --- Vs UK, 9 of 12, 75% for 35 yds. 3.9 yds/comp.

Trask already has 2 4th Qtr. come from behind road wins. He has thrown at least 2 TD's in each of his starts and tossed a career-high 4 in last week's 38-27 win at South Carolina to keep the Gators in control of their own destiny in the SEC East race. (Fromm threw 3 Ints in their home loss to SCa)

But the reality is that on game day, none of that will matter once the ball is kicked off.
However, 4th & Dumb is so worried that he has his entire team seeing a 'psychologist' this week... :eek: -- :confused: -- o_O -- :D:p:D

The 2019 injury woes of DB-U....
CB CJ Henderson, LB/SS Amari Burney, and safeties Shawn Davis and Jeawon Taylor have missed at least one game due to injury. Safety Brad Stewart missed the 1st 2 games due to a suspension. Junior CB Marco Wilson, (who missed last season injured), is the only regular member of the rotation to start every game this season. However, all are expected to be ready to go for the WLOCP. (iG crosses fingers) :cool:

I've been saying it for a long time already, from watching Kyle's HS film, and what he's done in his 3 O&B games, but just in case some still think I'm just a blind Kyle homer, how about a couple of opinions from the professionals.

"Kyle has done a tremendous job coming in and taking over and not skipping a beat,'' Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart said Wednesday. "He's a good quarterback. He's more athletic than you think he is. He does a great job running and has a great group of wide receivers. Dan has always done a great job with his quarterbacks."

"He does a great job,'' Gators head coach Dan Mullen said. "He's really a smart player. He gets them into the right plays, can check and manage what's going on. He can get things picked up. He's an accurate guy with the ball in his hand and also has the ability to extend some plays. He's athletic when he starts to scramble and can make things happen."

In 5.3 games, Trask Passing: (only loss @ #2 LSU)
114 of 169, 67.5% for 1,391 yds, 12.2 yds/comp, 14 TD's to 4 Ints, a 3.5 to 1 ratio.
Not bad numbers for starting in the first 5 games of his UF career.

In his 3rd year, in 7 games, Fromm Passing: (a home loss to NR SCa)
123 of 174, 70.7% for 1,406 yds, 11.4 yds/rec, 9 TD's to 3 Ints, a 3 to 1 ratio.
He's being carried by his OL and RB's --- Vs UK, 9 of 12, 75% for 35 yds. 3.9 yds/comp.

Trask already has 2 4th Qtr. come from behind road wins. He has thrown at least 2 TD's in each of his starts and tossed a career-high 4 in last week's 38-27 win at South Carolina to keep the Gators in control of their own destiny in the SEC East race. (Fromm threw 3 Ints in their home loss to SCa)

But the reality is that on game day, none of that will matter once the ball is kicked off.
However, 4th & Dumb is so worried that he has his entire team seeing a 'psychologist' this week... :eek: -- :confused: -- o_O -- :D:p:D

The 2019 injury woes of DB-U....
CB CJ Henderson, LB/SS Amari Burney, and safeties Shawn Davis and Jeawon Taylor have missed at least one game due to injury. Safety Brad Stewart missed the 1st 2 games due to a suspension. Junior CB Marco Wilson, (who missed last season injured), is the only regular member of the rotation to start every game this season. However, all are expected to be ready to go for the WLOCP. (iG crosses fingers) :cool:
I never thought he did GREAT in the orange and blue games....he did okay but he's playing awesome and good for him. He's getting better every week.

I never thought he did GREAT in the orange and blue games....he did okay but he's playing awesome and good for him. He's getting better every week.

You're not alone at all. There are many that 'for whatever reason',,,, thought that Kyle wasn't very good, just a 2-star HS backup and all that :confused:. At least until the 'over-night miracle' of Dan and Brian's coaching made him one of the best QB's in the SEC.... :rolleyes:

Reactions: GatorNation79
As far as the observation in the OP, Trask made a bunch of plays against SC, particularly in the second half, because he held the ball until guys shook loose. So it’s a definite risk/reward thing.

As far as the observation in the OP, Trask made a bunch of plays against SC, particularly in the second half, because he held the ball until guys shook loose. So it’s a definite risk/reward thing.

I seem to remember some other pretty good Gator QB's that were willing to either stand in the pocket or roll out to buy time, and then take the hit to make the throw...o_O

Spurrier used to call Danny Wonderful a "Gamer". Said he wouldn't shine in practice, but when the lights came on he was on another level.

Maybe Trask is the same way.

Reactions: 96-06-08GATOR
Spurrier used to call Danny Wonderful a "Gamer". Said he wouldn't shine in practice, but when the lights came on he was on another level.

Either way...if it's a combination of play, talent, play call....it's working. Good for him, all of the players....defense has been tough as nails. Go beat UGA and we'll keep talking. Heck of a job Mullen and his staff either way. On game day almost every week.

Reactions: instaGATOR

Actually Liz, the 1st time that Spurrier watched a McLame practice, he said that he liked the way #11 (Trask) was throwing the ball (something that I noted here at the time).

He has several times recently, reiterated that he likes the way that Kyle plays / throws a very catch-able ball, like DW did back in the day.

Kyle...throws a very catch-able ball,

sadgator ain’t gonna debate the fact that the Trask has some serious touch...but man, some of those flat passes look like shot puts they float so slowly. sadgator keeps holding his breath thinking a DB is just gonna snag it and go to the house almost every time. It is amazing that he keeps completing those.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
sadgator ain’t gonna debate the fact that the Trask has some serious touch...but man, some of those flat passes look like shot puts they float so slowly. sadgator keeps holding his breath thinking a DB is just gonna snag it and go to the house almost every time. It is amazing that he keeps completing those.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Quicker and a little more accurate in the flats will help the receivers get an edge. Trask can read the defense, find the open guy, throws the ball great deep and most QB's in college can't do that. I think the more he plays those flats throws will improve. Overall I've been very impressed with his play.

Struggle with the stats on this.... 14 TD's to just 4 Ints.... ;)

As a 3rd year starter, Franks had 9 TD's to 3 Ints before being injured out, and he didn't face Auburn or LSU.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT