LizardGrad89

Bull Gator
Nov 12, 2003
Over-rated! Clap Clap Clapclapclap

March Madness 2017: ACC left to deal with shock of lopsided losses

March 19, 2017 12:09am EDTMarch 18, 2017 11:57pm EDT

Florida State, a 3 seed essentially playing at home, lost by 25 to an 11 seed. Virginia lost by 26 in the same arena. That sums up the weekend for ACC teams not named North Carolina, Duke or Louisville.

Ryan Fagan @ryanfagan
Published on Mar. 18, 2017 | Updated on Mar. 19, 2017

ORLANDO, Fla. — As the second-half clock rolled past the seven-minute mark of Florida State’s game vs. Xavier, NBA-bound Seminoles guard Dwayne Bacon slipped through the defense on the perimeter, drove the lane and threw down an impressive dunk.

The Florida State fans at the Amway Center barely reacted. The positive emotions were gone.

That's because the game was out of hand by then. Florida State entered as the West Region No. 3 seed, and Xavier was the 11 seed. Bacon’s slam cut Xavier’s lead to 20 points, 75-55. Yep, it cut Xavier’s lead to 20 points. The final score was Xavier 91, Florida State 66.

So it’s hard to blame the FSU fans for the lack of enthusiasm after Bacon’s dunk.

Thing is, they aren’t the only ACC fans who have been emotionally steamrolled by this year’s NCAA Tournament. These have been a pretty disheartening few days for the league as a whole.
More accurately, these have been a stunning few days for the league as a whole.

The ACC was the best league in college hoops during the regular season. Nobody could challenge that ranking. The top 10 spots in the human polls were stacked with ACC teams, and ACC squads were near the top of the computer metrics, too.

Nine ACC teams made the NCAA Tournament, eight as a No. 9 seed or better. Six of those teams are already gone, and the other three — North Carolina, Duke and Louisville — don’t play their second games until Sunday. Duke (East No. 2 seed) and UNC (South No. 1 seed) are heavily favored, but Louisville (Midwest No. 2 seed) has a hefty challenge, facing red-hot No. 7 seed Michigan.

Nobody expected this amount of ACC carnage. Let’s take a look at the departed teams.

East No. 5 seed Virginia

What happened: After rallying from an early double-digit deficit in the opener against UNC-Wilmington, the Cavaliers held off the upset bid and won 76-71. Then, on the same court just a few hours after Florida State was dismantled by Xavier, the Cavaliers were embarrassed by Florida. The Gators were struggling entering the NCAA Tournament, but they looked like world-beaters Saturday. Buoyed by a 21-0 run that began in the first half and ended in the second, Florida cruised to a shockingly easy 65-39 win.

West No. 5 seed Notre Dame

What happened: The Irish barely survived a spirited upset bid by 12 seed Princeton when a 3-point try in the waning seconds missed. In the second round against West Virginia, the Irish never seemed to find anything resembling the rhythm they had in rolling to the ACC Tournament title game. The Mountaineers controlled the entire game and won 83-71.

Midwest No. 8 seed Miami (Fla.)

What happened: This one was kind of a stunner, not necessarily in the final result, but how it happened. The Hurricanes raced out to a 17-5 lead to start the game, but a dominating 20-2 run by No. 9 seed Michigan State helped the Spartans take control of the game, and they never relented. Miami lost 78-58.

East No. 9 seed Virginia Tech

What happened: Truthfully, the Hokies are probably the only ACC team that will find anything good in its loss. Buzz Williams’ team played very well, but its opponent was an underseeded Wisconsin team, and the Badgers pulled away late for an 84-74 win. In its next game, of course, Wisconsin stunned No. 1 seed and reigning national champion Villanova.

FAGAN: Should have seen NCAA Tournament Wisconsin coming

South No. 11 seed Wake Forest

What happened: The Demon Deacons slipped into the tournament as a First Four at-large team, then proceeded to allow Kansas State to shoot 66.0 percent from the field — no, really — and score 1.30 points per possession in a 95-88 victory. Yeah.

Roundup

So … yeah. Pretty much a disaster. The average margin of defeat in those six games that eliminated ACC teams: 16.7 points.

That’s crazy, right? These are six teams that the NCAA Tournament selection committee determined were among the 36 best at-large candidates — and rightly so — but they didn’t exactly played like they belonged. Three of the losses were legitimate blowouts.

The other three were closer, but “closer than a blowout” probably isn’t going to be the ACC’s next conference slogan.

I really think Duke and North Carolina are very good. The rest of the ACC is obviously pretty crappy.

"On the same night the Seminoles suffered the most embarrassing loss of the Hamilton era, the Gators gave up the fewest amount of points in their 61-game NCAA Tournament history. If the Gators beat eighth-seeded Wisconsin in the Sweet 16, White — in his first year in the NCAA Tournament — will have advanced further than Hamilton has in 29 years as a head coach. There is no acceptable explanation for what happened to FSU against Xavier."

Reactions: sadgator
"On the same night the Seminoles suffered the most embarrassing loss of the Hamilton era, the Gators gave up the fewest amount of points in their 61-game NCAA Tournament history. If the Gators beat eighth-seeded Wisconsin in the Sweet 16, White — in his first year in the NCAA Tournament — will have advanced further than Hamilton has in 29 years as a head coach. There is no acceptable explanation for what happened to FSU against Xavier."
It was inexplicable watching it. It didn't seem like Xavier was doing anything that special. The Xavier guards were very quick, but FSU seemed to have superior athletic talent on the floor. It wasn't like FSU didn't get their shots, they just weren't going down. It was really just an off night for them.

That said, sadgator was astonished that they did not go to the big Ojo dude more down low. Xavier had nobody who could match up with him, and FSU really didn't exploit that matchup problem. It was weird.

That said, sadgator was astonished that they did not go to the big Ojo dude more down low. Xavier had nobody who could match up with him, and FSU really didn't exploit that matchup problem. It was weird.

Wasn't weird for Noles.

Bianchi ~

“We would love to be a real smooth, solid, pinpoint-execution team, but that’s not how we’re built,” Hamilton said. “We’re not going to change very much from who we are. We’re fairly consistent the way we’ve been all year. We’re not a great free-throw shooting team. Sometimes we have a tendency not to take care of the ball.”

Translation: We’re fundamentally unsound, but we can usually win because we have better athletes than our opponents. The knock on Hamilton has been that he can land great recruits but never has a great team. He always seems to do just enough to stay employed. Just when you think he is about to be given his walking papers, he does something to make you think he has turned the corner. But then it’s back to a recurring scene in the same old movie.

Reactions: 46885
All this said, as far as sustained results, Hamilton's probably the best coach in their history. He recruits great talent, plays a fun style and gets to the tournament every other year. They finished second in a (allegedly) great league this year. How much more do you want if you're FSU? If they do hire someone who can recruit as well as Hamilton and coach them up, he's not going to be around too long.

It is very difficult to be consistently good in NCAA hoops in the one-and-done era. The teams that are top-15 every year are either the bluest bluebloods (Duke, UNC, UK, KU) or else play in weaker conferences (Butler, Gonzaga). Even UCLA and Indiana have gone through rough patches. Oregon, Baylor and UF are probably the best examples I can think of of major conference teams that have built/are building what look like sustained traditions out of nothing.

The rest of the world isn't ready for the D the SEC plays! Baseball, football, basketball...Florida is stingy when it comes to defense in all the major sports.

Hamilton basically admitted in his quotes after the game against Xavier that he can't coach for crap. He had the most talented team he's ever had on paper and he says they are fundamentally unsound. Well coach whose fault is that? He's an idiot.

Hamilton basically admitted in his quotes after the game against Xavier that he can't coach for crap. He had the most talented team he's ever had on paper and he says they are fundamentally unsound. Well coach whose fault is that? He's an idiot.

At least he's honest. I liked Calipari's response in the halftime interview when they asked what he needed to do to get his offense going: "I wish Monk would just hit a couple bombs, to be honest with you." I love Cal.

Ham can't coach. He gets extensions because he can recruit and the home boys love him. It's f'd up but I don't donate enough to have a say in any of it so I watch Mike Martin nap during the 7th inning stretch instead.

I really believe its not about the acc being bad, but another example of the parity we are seeing in college hoops. This is why I love the ncaa tourney

I really believe its not about the acc being bad, but another example of the parity we are seeing in college hoops. This is why I love the ncaa tourney

For the most part I agree, but 9 teams in and 1 in the sweet 16 is pretty bad.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to any cock fans that come visit on this board. I am sorry that I assumed the gators would be playing ACC champs Duke. Please accept my apology.

One thing that FSU had going for it (and this is totally true) was that their golden girl dance team was so superior to the Dazzlers that it wasn't even funny. Every single one of the golden girls was hotter than any one of the Dazzlers. The Dazzlers honestly looked like they had gone on a two week cookie binge prior to the tournament. It was really not good.

sadgator longs for the days when the Dazzlers were the epitome of pure perfection of the female form. It wasn't that long ago. Perhaps UF needs to consider lowering its academic standards to that of FSU so that it can recruit the same type of dance team talent. We can do SO much better.

Perhaps UF needs to consider lowering its academic standards to that of FSU so that it can recruit the same type of dance team talent. We can do SO much better.

Wyatt forbid the FSU actually...you know...raise their standards?

oH. That is what you implied all along?

Very well then. Carry on.

The rest of the world isn't ready for the D the SEC plays! Baseball, football, basketball...Florida is stingy when it comes to defense in all the major sports.

Gator Defense did you say? I agree, and here's another couple of good examples in the other sports...

The #2
26-1 Gator Softball team has 18 SHUT-OUTS in their first 27 games.
Team Fielding % is .991. <<<<<

The #3 Ranked, 7-1 Gator Lacrosse team has out scored their combined opponents 162-85.
Their only loss (10-13) came in the 1st game of the new season against #1 NC, the defending 2016 Natl. Champs. And how about their SoS so far? wtf???

L vs #1 NC, the defending 2016 Natl. Champ. (now #2)
W vs #16 Towson (6-3)
W vs #7 Stony Brook (6-1)
W vs #8 Syracuse (8-2)
Up next for the Gator Lacrosse team:
#13 Denver (7-2) and then the new #1 Maryland (7-0)

In their first 10 games, they will have played 6 Top 16 teams, including the #1 ranked team twice, (NC & Maryland)! :eek:

Yeah Man, that ACC is soooooo over rated...

National champs in Football and Basketball.

Now scurry along back to your little chant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT