ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts on this Florida team......

In all seriousness, Mertz is not a joke. Mertz is one of the best things we have…and is totally under-appreciated. Kid is doing everything he can.

He tries hard I will give him that he just isn't a QB that can elevate a team. He can get a good completion % for you as long as he isn't worried about getting key first downs. We are in a bind as he is all we have really and Lagway definitely needs some experience to show his potential (wont see it much probably until next year if he doesn't bolt on us). I think the Miss State defense is so bad it might fool us into thinking we fixed the offense a little when we haven't.

In all seriousness, Mertz is not a joke. Mertz is one of the best things we have…and is totally under-appreciated. Kid is doing everything he can.
sad, it's not personal, for me at least. He seems like a decent fellow.
However, I could be there giving 1000% and doing EVERYTHING that I could for the team as it's QB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,, but I'd still SUCK at the job.

The OC Napier / QB Mertz combination is simply NOT getting the winning job done, so things need to change somewhere.
So far, apparently NOBODY has the correct answers for turning the football program around.

(well I do, but nobody would ever listen to me) 😉 --- 😁

sad, it's not personal, for me at least. He seems like a decent fellow.
However, I could be there giving 1000% and doing EVERYTHING that I could for the team as it's QB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,, but I'd still SUCK at the job.

The OC Napier / QB Mertz combination is simply NOT getting the winning job done, so things need to change somewhere.
So far, apparently NOBODY has the correct answers for turning the football program around.

(well I do, but nobody would ever listen to me) 😉 --- 😁
The Sock Lord has been screaming for an OC since August of last year.

In this game against the Bulldogs, the Gators rushed for 226 yards on just 36 attempts, which comes out to be 6.3 yards per carry. That’s definitely a good average to maintain.

Montrell Johnson - 15 for 68 yds, 4.5 ypc
Treyaun Webb ------ 8 for 41 yds, 5.1 ypc
Ja'Kobi Jackson ---- 3 for 18 yds, 6.0 ypc
Jadan Baugh -------- 4 for 53 yds, 13.3 ypc
MJ 15 for 68, 4.5 ypc.
Others - 15 for 112, 7.5 ypc

Season Rushing Numbers After 4 Games:

Montrell Johnson - 48 for 255 yds, loss 21, 234, 4.9 ypc, L-71, 3 TD's
Treyaun Webb ----- 21 for 98 yds, loss 5, 93, 4.4 ypc, L-14, 1 TD
Ja'kobi Jackson --- 11 for 70 yds, loss 2, 68, 6.2 ypc, L-11, 2 TD's
Jadan Baugh ------ 10 for 98 yds, loss 0, 98, 9.8 ypc - L 32, 0 TD
Johnson 48 carries, with a total of 42 for the other 3.
(and I like and respect what Montrell has given and done for the team since he and Napier arrived here)
Johnson/Webb - 69 for 327, 4.7 ypc
Baugh/Jackson - 21 for 166, 7.9 ypc
So, after looking at these numbers and seeing how things have panned out over recent weeks, is it time to reallocate the carries in this unit? It seems like a reasonable answer.
🤓

The worst bosses throw their employees under the bus when things are going bad. Same with coaches and players.

Yep I couldn't believe Coach Freeze at Auburn was saying what he did. It should always be a variation of we have to coach better while mentioning what the players did wrong not just blaming the players. I guess in the NFL I could maybe see a coach directly taking a shot at his player if he is convinced it's an effort issue.

Mertz is one of the few things Napier did right. Good kid and he's been a solid consistent player/leader. Having said that we most likely only win 1-2 more games, but not because of who's playing QB.

(and I like and respect what Montrell has given and done for the team since he and Napier arrived here)

So, after looking at these numbers and seeing how things have panned out over recent weeks, is it time to reallocate the carries in this unit? It seems like a reasonable answer. 🤓

Mizell had the best game of his Gator career against the Bulldogs in Week Four. He hauled in five passes for 36 yards, but it should’ve been way more than that. If not for a flag thrown on Montrell Johnson Jr. for a blindside block along the sidelines that negated a Mizell-touchdown, he could’ve exceeded the 100-yard mark.

So, All Things Considered, which RB should be the starter, and what should the RB depth chart look like for UCF?

Yep I couldn't believe Coach Freeze at Auburn was saying what he did. It should always be a variation of we have to coach better while mentioning what the players did wrong not just blaming the players. I guess in the NFL I could maybe see a coach directly taking a shot at his player if he is convinced it's an effort issue.
Antonio Pierce said in his presser yesterday after getting schooled at home by Carolina that he had players making business decisions, so the team was going to have to make business decisions.

So, after looking at these numbers and seeing how things have panned out over recent weeks, is it time to reallocate the carries in this unit? It seems like a reasonable answer. 🤓

Mizell had the best game of his Gator career against the Bulldogs in Week Four. He hauled in five passes for 36 yards, but it should’ve been way more than that. If not for a flag thrown on Montrell Johnson Jr. for a blindside block along the sidelines that negated a Mizell-touchdown, he could’ve exceeded the 100-yard mark.

So, All Things Considered, which RB should be the starter, and what should the RB depth chart look like for UCF?
Baugh should get 20 plus carries a game

Saban calling out the higher ups

Last edited:
Mertz is a frickin joke 50/50 if we beat Miss State.
====================

Respect the individual person(s), while still recognizing the player FACTS.

Graham Mertz on Monday was named as one of eight "Stars of the Week" by the Manning Award. Against the Bulldogs, Mertz was: 19 of 21, 90.5% for 201 yds, 3 TD's plus a QB sneak TD.
Mertz 90.5% completion rating is the 3rd-highest in a game in program history.
Note: Lagway went: 7 of 7 (100%) for 76 yds.
* Lagway also had 2 long TD drives that began inside the Gator's 10 yard line (9&7).

Fools Gold 2.0 (MsSt)
Lagway set records vs Samford, Mertz vs MsSt,,,, FOOLS GOLD X-2

FACTS -- Mertz is the 1-2 loser as the starting QB for 2024.
In the losses against Miami and Texas A&M:
Mertz went: 13-of-35, 37.1% for 286 yds, 1 TD, 2 Ints, 3 Sacks
Lagway went
9 of 19, 47.4% for 85 yds,,, 1 TD, 3 Ints, 2 Sacks
When comparing those QB numbers, remember that one is a 6th Yr Sr, and the other is a true Fr....
(and the OC is an incompetent dud imo, with quality recruits suffering from a lack of development)

So far, the iG doesn't fault the players, because the buck stops elsewhere higher up at the next 3 levels.

====================

Respect the individual person(s), while still recognizing the player FACTS.

Graham Mertz on Monday was named as one of eight "Stars of the Week" by the Manning Award. Against the Bulldogs, Mertz was: 19 of 21, 90.5% for 201 yds, 3 TD's plus a QB sneak TD.
Mertz 90.5% completion rating is the 3rd-highest in a game in program history.
Note: Lagway went: 7 of 7 (100%) for 76 yds.
* Lagway also had 2 long TD drives that began inside the Gator's 10 yard line (9&7).

Fools Gold 2.0 (MsSt)
Lagway set records vs Samford, Mertz vs MsSt,,,, FOOLS GOLD X-2

FACTS -- Mertz is the 1-2 loser as the starting QB for 2024.
In the losses against Miami and Texas A&M:
Mertz went: 13-of-35, 37.1% for 286 yds, 1 TD, 2 Ints, 3 Sacks
Lagway went
9 of 19, 47.4% for 85 yds,,, 1 TD, 3 Ints, 2 Sacks
When comparing those QB numbers, remember that one is a 6th Yr Sr, and the other is a true Fr....
(and the OC is an incompetent dud imo, with quality recruits suffering from a lack of development)

So far, the iG doesn't fault the players, because the buck stops elsewhere higher up at the next 3 levels.
It's pretty clear that considering how bad our Oline is, Mertz gives us the best option to win right now. Mertz was playing better than Lagway vs AM and should have been in the game the entire 4th Q. We may have made it much closer. Lagway will eventually be better, but as Sad has thus far correctly pointed out Mertz is needed now. I hate the 2 qb system, but I certainly don't mind giving Lagway 2-3 series per game to get him ready.

Nobody pays any attention to what I have said REPEATEDLY!

Play Mertz as the STARTER for the rest of the season.

If they need or want to play 2 QB's, then use one of the others on the roster.

BENCH LAGWAY. That should have been done after the aTm game, (game # 3).
DJ can be the dual thread SCOUT team QB for the rest of the season.
Then start Lagway for his 4th game vs FSU maintaining his redshirt season.
That's to get him ready to be the starter in 2025.
But by uselessly playing him vs MsSt, they've already burned that option.

After the Ole Miss game, Mertz should be spending his time getting ready to try making it to the NFL. Playing in the Senior Bowl IF that's offered to him.
FLASH note: Not every NFL team has a great OL either..................

After the Ole Miss game, Mertz should be spending his time getting ready to try making it to the NFL. Playing in the Senior Bowl IF that's offered to him.
You may be right but I don’t believe he will be here more than three years anyway. The more he plays this year the better prepared he will be when Kiffin (or whoever) gets here.

Reactions: instaGATOR

Nonsense we should play Lagway as much as possible to get him more comfortable and to help possibly keep him here. In the A&M game he was just a step slow in moving under the initial pressure a few times. Once he gets a better feel for that he will be much more effective buying time and hitting guys down field. His ceiling is so much higher than Mertz it isn't even funny.

Redshirt? Why? If he's as good as we think we will only have him for 2 more years. More playing time now will make him better next year.

It's pretty clear that considering how bad our Oline is, Mertz gives us the best option to win right now. Mertz was playing better than Lagway vs AM and should have been in the game the entire 4th Q.
Redshirt? Why? If he's as good as we think we will only have him for 2 more years. More playing time (4-DJ) now will make him better next year.
Both sides of the mouth is cute Cg1,,,, and it's typical from more than just you....
=====

Players go or stay at their own option, and their reasons both ways are myriad...
DJ could leave now, after next season, or not until after he gets his degree.
I don't KNOW when he will leave or for what reason, and neither does anyone else.
=====

JMOHO - This season is TOAST. I believe it's 5 wins at best with 5 being unlikely.
That said, 'The Chance To Win' becomes a NON-FACTOR in my decision making.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT