ADVERTISEMENT

Football "This was the same offense we've seen for 2 years"

joshuaano

Baby Gator
Gold Member
Jul 19, 2023
I've seen this comment made ad nauseam and I understand why, in effect, we saw the worst of what we've seen the last 2 years. But, from what I witnessed in the stands and saw in replays, this offense did look different. Given these differences I am going to assume Billy was not calling the offense.

1. Not a single time did we run our bread and butter, PA Roll Out Right with Flood to the Right. We run this play 5+ times every game since Billy has been here.

2. In the 2nd possession we went empty with 5 WRs. A very rare occurrence for this offense. I imagine we see a bit more of this with Lagway.

3. In the 1st Quarter with 5 minutes left at Miami's 42 we pass the ball on 3rd and 7. Billy always runs in this situation to set up a 4th and manageable. Unfortunately we had a 1 yard dunk to Montrell that forced us to punt.

4. The emphasis on downfield passing. This probably was a mixture of game planning and/or play calling but it's something we've all wanted, maybe to a fault. Against Miami 56% of Mertz's pass were 10+ yards downfield, with 50% of those being 20+ yards downfield. Relative to last year, we threw the ball 10+ yards twice as much and 20+ yards 2.5* as much.

5. The lack of play action. We called 50% less play action plays. This may have been an in game adjustment because after the first completion we may not have had another completion on play action all day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.