ADVERTISEMENT

The AP Poll just declared Ohio State is the greatest college football program ever

alaskanseminole

Bull Gator
Oct 20, 2002
San Antonio, TX
This thread will serve two purposes.

#1 for everyone to chime in with their disagreement re: OSU being #1 and subsequent hatred of Meyer.
#2 for Noles to snicker at UF and scUM being below FSU. (I figured, I'd just go ahead and show some intellectual honesty regarding the real purpose of the post).

Enjoy!

LINK: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/8/2/12358742/ohio-state-ranking-ap-poll-100
FULL BREAKDOWN: http://collegefootball.ap.org/top-100

1 Ohio State 1,112
2 Oklahoma 1,055
3 Notre Dame 1,042
4 Alabama 993*
5 USC 974
6 Nebraska 901
7 Michigan 894
8 Texas 822
9 Florida State 714
10 Florida 674

11 LSU 655
12 Penn State 647
13 Miami 642
14 Tennessee 624
15 Georgia 572
16 Auburn 570
17 UCLA 535
18 Texas A&M 477
19 Michigan State 443
20 Washington 430
21 Arkansas 412
22 Clemson 411
23 Pitt 356*
24 Wisconsin 366*
25 Iowa 329

p.s.
#3 So I can receive cookies from MJ. ;)

Last edited:

#1 for everyone to chime in with their disagreement re: OSU being #1 and subsequent hatred of Myer.
#2 for Noles to snicker at UF and scUM being below FSU. (I figured, I'd just go ahead and show some intellectual honesty regarding the real purpose of the post).

Enjoy!

LINK: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/8/2/12358742/ohio-state-ranking-ap-poll-100

1 Ohio State 1,112
2 Oklahoma 1,055
3 Notre Dame 1,042
4 Alabama 993*
5 USC 974
6 Nebraska 901
7 Michigan 894
8 Texas 822
9 Florida State 714
10 Florida 674

11 LSU 655
12 Penn State 647
13 Miami 642
14 Tennessee 624
15 Georgia 572
16 Auburn 570
17 UCLA 535
18 Texas A&M 477
19 Michigan State 443
20 Washington 430
21 Arkansas 412
22 Clemson 411
23 Pitt 356*
24 Wisconsin 366*
25 Iowa 329

p.s.

Who's Myer ? Starting out as a very intelligent post.

#1 for everyone to chime in with their disagreement re: OSU being #1 and subsequent hatred of Myer.

Enjoy!

1 Ohio State 1,112
2 Oklahoma 1,055
3 Notre Dame 1,042
4 Alabama 993*
5 USC 974
6 Nebraska 901
7 Michigan 894
8 Texas 822
9 Florida State 714
10 Florida 674

11 LSU 655
12 Penn State 647
13 Miami 642
14 Tennessee 624
15 Georgia 572
16 Auburn 570
17 UCLA 535
18 Texas A&M 477
19 Michigan State 443
20 Washington 430
21 Arkansas 412
22 Clemson 411
23 Pitt 356*
24 Wisconsin 366*
25 Iowa 329

p.s.

Yo instant? Look who's # 2 :cool::cool::cool::D

Reactions: -MDVOL
Well Miami leads noles and Gators in head to head along with more nattys. I would happily trade places with them versus some poll.
Me too. The fact that this measure puts them behind Florida and FSU makes me say...bullshit

Who's Myer ? Starting out as a very intelligent post.
Figured you guys were smart enough to recognize a typo. You can't read this can you?

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Well Miami leads noles and Gators in head to head along with more nattys. I would happily trade places with them versus some poll.
Fortunately, that head-to-head with scUM will change in my life time. "Miami leads the series 31-29, but Florida State has won the last six."

LINK: http://www.winsipedia.com/miami-fl/vs/florida-state

With limited games, I'm not sure the same can be said for UF. "Miami leads the series 29–26, and has won seven of the past eight match-ups including a 21–16 victory in the most recent game played in 2013"

LINK: http://www.winsipedia.com/miami-fl/vs/florida

Fortunately, that head-to-head with scUM will change in my life time. "Miami leads the series 31-29, but Florida State has won the last six."

LINK: http://www.winsipedia.com/miami-fl/vs/florida-state

With limited games, I'm not sure the same can be said for UF. "Miami leads the series 29–26, and has won seven of the past eight match-ups including a 21–16 victory in the most recent game played in 2013"

LINK: http://www.winsipedia.com/miami-fl/vs/florida
Maybe, and maybe it will change back in your lifetime. But right now this poll is horseshit, they lead you and they have more titles. This poll, like most polls, are based on opinion. Let's you and I deal in facts, they are ahead of both of our respective schools, and they have more titles.

# 2 or # 9 ?? I will take # 2 countyLizzerd :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I am sure you will, it's been a long time since your school has won a national title in one of the major men's sports, I guess baseball in 2010 counts, so kudos to you sir.

Maybe, and maybe it will change back in your lifetime. But right now this poll is horseshit, they lead you and they have more titles. This poll, like most polls, are based on opinion. Let's you and I deal in facts, they are ahead of both of our respective schools, and they have more titles.

On a serious note, BONG and I used to discuss this often (and rarely agreed). It all depends on the "measuring stick" used. In BONG's opinion, a National Championship is the ONLY measurable. In that case, then yes, Miami is superior to both programs. However, since the odds of winning one is so low, there have to be other measurables. ...and as a CFB fan, I say there are definitely other measurable, otherwise EVERY season would be a disappointment for everyone, but the winner.

I offer that sustained success is one of many factors in determining the bestest of the best...rankings, bowl games, win-loss percentage, head-to-head, accolades (All Americans, Heismans, NFL picks, etc.) There are many many things that factor into the CFB rack-n-stack. It's what makes discussions like this so much fun, they, as you said, are subject to opinion. I love it!

Last edited:
On a serious note, BONG and I used to discuss this often (and rarely agreed). It all depends on the "measuring stick" used. In BONG's opinion, a National Championship is the ONLY measurable. In that case, then yes, Miami is superior to both programs. However, since the odds of winning one is so low, there have to be other measurable. ...and as a CFB fan, I say there are definitely other measurable, otherwise EVERY season would be a disappointment for everyone, but the winner.

I offer that sustained success is one of many factors in determining the bestest of the best...rankings, bowl games, win-loss percentage, head-to-head, accolades (All Americans, Heismans, NFL picks, etc.) There are many many things that factor into the CFB rack-n-stack. It's what makes discussions like this so much fun, they, as you said, are subject to opinion. I love it!
well i would rather beat you than finish ahead of you in the poll, unless it was the title.

I think a lot of you guys missed this part:

"To determine the all-time Top 25, the AP formula counted poll appearances (one point) to mark consistency, No. 1 rankings (one point) to acknowledge elite programs and gave a bonus for AP championships (10 points)."

Miami may be a lot of things but consistent is not one of them. They have had some awful years to go along with some great ones.

#1 for everyone to chime in with their disagreement re: OSU being #1 and subsequent hatred of Meyer.

Enjoy!

1 Ohio State 1,112
2 Oklahoma 1,055
3 Notre Dame 1,042
4 Alabama 993*
5 USC 974
6 Nebraska 901
7 Michigan 894
8 Texas 822
9 Florida State 714
10 Florida 674

11 LSU 655
12 Penn State 647
13 Miami 642
14 Tennessee 624
15 Georgia 572
16 Auburn 570
17 UCLA 535
18 Texas A&M 477
19 Michigan State 443
20 Washington 430
21 Arkansas 412
22 Clemson 411
23 Pitt 356*
24 Wisconsin 366*
25 Iowa 329

p.s.

Top 10 all time and second in the SEC behind Bama? We are the Muschamp era away from also being #1 in the state. Could be a lot worse.

Reactions: Dannygator1989
Top 10 all time and second in the SEC behind Bama? We are the Muschamp era away from also being #1 in the state. Could be a lot worse.

No other state but Florida has more than one team in the top 15 all time. With FSU #9, UF #10 and Miami # 13 no other state compares.

I think a lot of you guys missed this part:

"To determine the all-time Top 25, the AP formula counted poll appearances (one point) to mark consistency, No. 1 rankings (one point) to acknowledge elite programs and gave a bonus for AP championships (10 points)."

Miami may be a lot of things but consistent is not one of them. They have had some awful years to go along with some great ones.
Would you rather have their 5 titles and lead them in the head to head, or be ranked ahead of them in some meaningless poll?

Would you rather have their 5 titles and lead them in the head to head, or be ranked ahead of them in some meaningless poll?

3 of their titles were won in what, the 80's?? UM has been irrelevant for a long period of time. Since the 90's uf and FSU has more titles. The head to head vs us is 31-29 and we will certainly have the lead very soon.

3 of their titles were won in what, the 80's?? UM has been irrelevant for a long period of time. Since the 90's uf and FSU has more titles. The head to head vs us is 31-29 and we will certainly have the lead very soon.
I don't disagree with this point.....however, this poll is meaningless..

This ranking is based on how often various schools have appeared on AP rankings. I'm not sure if that's the ultimate measure of a program, but that's what it is.

Miami has the most championships (in Florida) but they have been awful (and unranked) nearly as much as they have been great. This ranking emphasizes consistency and historical rankings. Schools with fewer championships, but are consistent frequent flyers on the AP rankings, are at the top of the list here.

FSU had many years where they were ranked in the top 5, but didn't quite get to number 1. Being #2-5 doesn't win championships, but for the purposes of this AP ranking, it carries some weight.

This ranking is based on how often various schools have appeared on AP rankings. I'm not sure if that's the ultimate measure of a program, but that's what it is.

Miami has the most championships (in Florida) but they have been awful (and unranked) nearly as much as they have been great. This ranking emphasizes consistency and historical rankings. Schools with fewer championships, but are consistent frequent flyers on the AP rankings, are at the top of the list here.

FSU had many years where they were ranked in the top 5, but didn't quite get to number 1. Being #2-5 doesn't win championships, but for the purposes of this AP ranking, it carries some weight.
Understand the point. But national titles is far, far more important than the way this was done

I certainly respect national championships, but given a choice between:
  • a program that has a large number of national championships, spaced out between lengthy stretches of unranked mediocrity
  • a program that has a smaller number of national championships, but is more consistently competitive, and ranked

I'll take the latter, if for no other reason than that it makes for better football. But I understand that reasonable people may prefer the opposite.

On a serious note, BONG and I used to discuss this often (and rarely agreed). It all depends on the "measuring stick" used. In BONG's opinion, a National Championship is the ONLY measurable.

I think it is the most important measure. The other measure can aid in comparisons when the number of national titles is equal. In the case of FSU, UF, and Miami, the number of NCs is not equal. It really isn't even close

I certainly respect national championships, but given a choice between:
  • a program that has a large number of national championships, spaced out between lengthy stretches of unranked mediocrity
  • a program that has a smaller number of national championships, but is more consistently competitive, and ranked

I'll take the latter, if for no other reason than that it makes for better football. But I understand that reasonable people may prefer the opposite.
Fair enough, me I prefer the wins versus actual human polls. Miami at this point in time has more wins and more titles....the poll is just opinion and speculation...

I think it is the most important measure. The other measure can aid in comparisons when the number of national titles is equal. In the case of FSU, UF, and Miami, the number of NCs is not equal. It really isn't even close

I think they may have adjusted their criteria so that some of the early teams like Princeton with 28 football championships would not totally dominate the modern era teams- say Alabama with 15.

I think they may have adjusted their criteria so that some of the early teams like Princeton with 28 football championships would not totally dominate the modern era teams- say Alabama with 15.

I believe it's based on AP polls, and the AP started in the 30's, so the earliest years would be irrelevant.

1996 mNC UF 52 - 20 #1 Polled FSUcks criminoles

2006 BCS-NC UF 41 - 14 #1 Polled tOSU schmuckeyes

(Bonus - UF beat both tOSU and UCLA for Back-2-Back B-Ball NC's)

2008 BCS-NC UF 24 - 14 #1 Polled Choke-la-homa doomer-swooners

So in NC games, UF is 3-0 undefeated, with double-digit wins against the mostly has-beens and /or the vastly over-rated...

Now, I could tell you where to stick those 'polls' but I'll let it slide.
chomp
chomp

PS -- UF also has the all time W/L record against all 3 of them.

PSS -- And none of them have to play their seasons against the best (SEC) in the Nation. :cool:

1996 mNC UF 52 - 20 #1 Polled FSUcks criminoles

So in NC games, UF is 3-0 undefeated
, with double-digit wins against the mostly has-beens and /or the vastly over-rated...

Um, I guess you've completely blocked out the drumming Nebraska gave you guys in the 1996 NC game; 62-24. For much of that summer, a common joke on ESPN was "Hey Gators, Nebraska just scored again."

As for "has beens"; what's UF ranked again?

Um, I guess you've completely blocked out the drumming Nebraska gave you guys in the 1996 NC game; 62-24. For much of that summer, a common joke on ESPN was "Hey Gators, Nebraska just scored again."

I think UF was ranked 34 and fsu ranked 24. So I will give you credit, you got us.

Really buddy? You brought up THAT game, just to prove an insane person wrong?

I friendship is on the line.

How dare you.

And no funny gif?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT