ADVERTISEMENT

The # 113 offense in FBS now

be2cf3da-fef3-49c0-b8fb-c05b82cbc592.jpg

Which includes Meyer's last year, Muschamp, and now McElwain.
Florida is in a major offensive funk for almost a decade.

Just about every one of those years, I have thought to myself at some point "I think this is the worst offense I've ever seen in college football." It's like in office space where every day is the worst day of his life.

Just about every one of those years, I have thought to myself at some point "I think this is the worst offense I've ever seen in college football." It's like in office space where every day is the worst day of his life.

What's funny is going back to 2009.

To this day, people will act like the grumbling some had about how off the offense seemed and that we would take that offense a hundred times over compared to what we've had since.

Well yeah, we would.

But that's not important. Most people blamed Daz, and he was definitely a problem, but I think looking back that it show there was a systemic issue growing then. Despite all the talent we had, we were struggling more than we should have.

It's like lung cancer. In 2009 we started noticing a mild but persistent cough. didn't think anything of it though. Then it starts getting worse, and before you know it you're hacking up blood.

What's funny is going back to 2009.

To this day, people will act like the grumbling some had about how off the offense seemed and that we would take that offense a hundred times over compared to what we've had since.

Well yeah, we would.

But that's not important. Most people blamed Daz, and he was definitely a problem, but I think looking back that it show there was a systemic issue growing then. Despite all the talent we had, we were struggling more than we should have.

It's like lung cancer. In 2009 we started noticing a mild but persistent cough. didn't think anything of it though. Then it starts getting worse, and before you know it you're hacking up blood.
Only Danny could compare an offense to lung cancer and actually make it sound legit.

It's a decade old and we still haven't found a fix for it.

I honestly can't put my thumb on it.

Reactions: g8rbass94
Only Danny could compare an offense to lung cancer and actually make it sound legit.

It's a decade old and we still haven't found a fix for it.

I honestly can't put my thumb on it.

Ain't complicated. Shitty offensive coaches and constantly changing systems. Started in 09' and hasn't stopped since.

For example we had Rainey and Demps as our featured backs in 09' and rather than use them to stretch the edge and let Tebow be the power guy, we had Demps and Rainey running dives all game. Get to 10' and we have Brantley out there with busted up ribs and a hand running option keeps which was the dumbest shit I've ever seen in my life. I don't think I've defended any QB on this board as much as I did Brantley for that reason. Fast forward to 11' and I thought Weis was actually doing a good job until Brantley got injured, then it all went downhill because Driskel and Brissett were too young to be effective. In 2012 I thought we had the perfect marriage of players and scheme BUT we chose the wrong QB, I really do think Muschamp might have still been here if he had picked Brissett to be the starter. 2013 is a write-off and then in 2014 we had a spread offense which in theory should have been ideal for Driskel but he was awful and then we had a true freshman Treon who elevated the offense but wasn't anywhere near a good enough passer to be the guy long-term. And then we've had Nuss the last 3 years...

From an outside observer it looks to me that all of your problems revolve around awful QB play. Find a QB that can play and most of your problems will go away. QB play seems to be lacking throughout the entire SEC the last few seasons. Somewhat like my noles and their pathetic O-line play. It's a little easier to plan around a bad O-line. A bad QB and you are sunk.

QB's need a solid system and plan to be successful though. There aren't many transcendent talents that are just gonna succeed in spite of coaching. It's not a coincidence the best offensive coaches always get good QB play, they aren't just getting lucky.

Reactions: TNGatorBrad
Good point, Oz. For the life of me I can't figure out what their offensive identity is, or is supposed to be. The only constant seems to be confusion and indecision, which leads to pressing and trying to do too much. It is a little mind boggling it has gone on for this long though.

Good point, Oz. For the life of me I can't figure out what their offensive identity is, or is supposed to be. The only constant seems to be confusion and indecision, which leads to pressing and trying to do too much. It is a little mind boggling it has gone on for this long though.

They don't have one. Their identity is being 'multiple' which means we try a whole bunch of shit without committing to any one philosophy or style. One play or drive you'll see us up under center running inside zone with two TE's. The next play or drive we're in trips using jet sweeps, and then the next play or drive after that you'll see us in 4-wide using read options. We're not even consistent in what we want our run-pass ratio to be and you saw an example of that against Michigan. First half we throw 9 times and try to pound it in between the tackles, second half we throw 20+ times with long developing routes.

They just call plays with no rhyme or reason. It's like he says "hey this might work lemme pick that" and then keeps going. No setting up plays, no counter to the defense, nothing. Just pick plays.

They don't have one. Their identity is being 'multiple' which means we try a whole bunch of shit without committing to any one philosophy or style. One play or drive you'll see us up under center running inside zone with two TE's. The next play or drive we're in trips using jet sweeps, and then the next play or drive after that you'll see us in 4-wide using read options. We're not even consistent in what we want our run-pass ratio to be and you saw an example of that against Michigan. First half we throw 9 times and try to pound it in between the tackles, second half we throw 20+ times with long developing routes.

They just call plays with no rhyme or reason. It's like he says "hey this might work lemme pick that" and then keeps going. No setting up plays, no counter to the defense, nothing. Just pick plays.

that's a nightmare as a play caller, doing too much ends up getting you nothing back, doing too little gets the same results.. It's the fear of having what writers block would be for a play caller in football.. What you described is my biggest fear as a play caller, finding the perfect medium to stay simple enough the players can get used to running it perfectly and executing, but not getting too simple the defense knows it too.. Then getting too tricky, being cute for the sake of it against regardless of the defense across the field from you is in.. Getting cute only works for the next level, for top brained QBs... Spurrier is the Jesus in numbers play book Bible forever, every play he's ever called, ive seen it or recorded what the result was from it. Nothing he does has ever not made sense to me over years of looking at his play calls, situations and timing of them..

I don't know if anyone else remembers, I think it was 96 in the rain against UT.. NCAA record crowd in Neyland, we let Peyton stage a come back after going up 35-0 in the weirdest game of all time.. it was 35-29, it's a 4th down, UT LB's are jumping 4 feet in the air getting the crowd jacked going ape shit.. Spurrier runs out a 5 wide formation, and sneaks Danny with a QB sneak/Draw and puts them out of their misery.

Spurrier is the original play calling God when it comes to balance.

that's a nightmare as a play caller, doing too much ends up getting you nothing back, doing too little gets the same results.. It's the fear of having what writers block would be for a play caller in football.. What you described is my biggest fear as a play caller, finding the perfect medium to stay simple enough the players can get used to running it perfectly and executing, but not getting too simple the defense knows it too.. Then getting too tricky, being cute for the sake of it against regardless of the defense across the field from you is in.. Getting cute only works for the next level, for top brained QBs... Spurrier is the Jesus in numbers play book Bible forever, every play he's ever called, ive seen it or recorded what the result was from it. Nothing he does has ever not made sense to me over years of looking at his play calls, situations and timing of them..

I don't know if anyone else remembers, I think it was 96 in the rain against UT.. NCAA record crowd in Neyland, we let Peyton stage a come back after going up 35-0 in the weirdest game of all time.. it was 35-29, it's a 4th down, UT LB's are jumping 4 feet in the air getting the crowd jacked going ape shit.. Spurrier runs out a 5 wide formation, and sneaks Danny with a QB sneak/Draw and puts them out of their misery.

Spurrier is the original play calling God when it comes to balance.

As a defender I've always had the most trouble with teams that run a little bit of plays but use a lot of formations. Especially if they switch up who does what from those formations in the same play, because then you can never time it up and play downhill. Like for example running levels and then switching up which receiver is at which level. Damn headache.

Funny enough the teams that did the most I always thought was easiest to defend. Because those are the ones who fall back hard on tendencies in crucial situations. They'll show you a million looks up and down the field but on 3rd and short or 3rd and medium they have their go-to's, they almost have to narrow those plays down to make sure to have time for everything else.

Ain't complicated. Shitty offensive coaches and constantly changing systems. Started in 09' and hasn't stopped since.

For example we had Rainey and Demps as our featured backs in 09' and rather than use them to stretch the edge and let Tebow be the power guy, we had Demps and Rainey running dives all game. Get to 10' and we have Brantley out there with busted up ribs and a hand running option keeps which was the dumbest shit I've ever seen in my life. I don't think I've defended any QB on this board as much as I did Brantley for that reason. Fast forward to 11' and I thought Weis was actually doing a good job until Brantley got injured, then it all went downhill because Driskel and Brissett were too young to be effective. In 2012 I thought we had the perfect marriage of players and scheme BUT we chose the wrong QB, I really do think Muschamp might have still been here if he had picked Brissett to be the starter. 2013 is a write-off and then in 2014 we had a spread offense which in theory should have been ideal for Driskel but he was awful and then we had a true freshman Treon who elevated the offense but wasn't anywhere near a good enough passer to be the guy long-term. And then we've had Nuss the last 3 years...
All true...and I didn't think I could be more depressed. lol

As a defender I've always had the most trouble with teams that run a little bit of plays but use a lot of formations. Especially if they switch up who does what from those formations in the same play, because then you can never time it up and play downhill. Like for example running levels and then switching up which receiver is at which level. Damn headache.

Funny enough the teams that did the most I always thought was easiest to defend. Because those are the ones who fall back hard on tendencies in crucial situations. They'll show you a million looks up and down the field but on 3rd and short or 3rd and medium they have their go-to's, they almost have to narrow those plays down to make sure to have time for everything else.

That's why I try to switch up the Dagger route combos against coverages too and back motions with the Z for no reason, just to show man and zone, mostly for the QB to see not for me as a play caller. Hell I've played myself long enough to know whats gonna and not gonna work, it's getting it across to the kids and making them be able to execute is where the challenge of how great or bad of a coach you are going to be is... And Spurrier, was the best. He always knows when to call the play that's gonna go, that's why he was always so upset at the QBs that didn't see it or get it done.. Im a perfectionist the same way Steve is, it has it's good and bad.. I hate losing as bad as Meyer or any of those guys, it's a dangerous slope.

That's why I try to switch up the Dagger route combos against coverages too and back motions with the Z for no reason, just to show man and zone, mostly for the QB to see not for me as a play caller. Hell I've played myself long enough to know whats gonna and not gonna work, it's getting it across to the kids and making them be able to execute is where the challenge of how great or bad of a coach you are going to be is... And Spurrier, was the best. He always knows when to call the play that's gonna go, that's why he was always so upset at the QBs that didn't see it or get it done.. Im a perfectionist the same way Steve is, it has it's good and bad.. I hate losing as bad as Meyer or any of those guys, it's a dangerous slope.

Yea the other one that always got me was dig, because you're expecting the dig to come from the outside receiver. So if I'm in a robber technique I can jump that all day. But if they ran dig from the slot because the route starts of vertical my responsibility is to carry it up the seam then when they'd make the dig it's wide open. Simple variations like that can mess with a defense.

My 2 questions are - Besides UAB & Missouri, are there any games left in which we will be favored? Is 5-6 a real possibility?

My 2 questions are - Besides UAB & Missouri, are there any games left in which we will be favored? Is 5-6 a real possibility?

Its a definite possibility. I think the A&M and SC lines will be pretty close. My guess is we will be barely favored over A&M before the money starts coming in.

117513ee-fa64-48e9-b212-47727aab456f-png.7362

I wonder if that is true about Franks. I know people in the Gainesville area have said Franks is more worried about hanging out at night than putting the work in he needs to and that was being said when camp first started.

I know people in the Gainesville area have said Franks is more worried about hanging out at night than putting the work in he needs to and that was being said when camp first started.
Hmmm....seems there was a similar knock on Driskel a few years back.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/yardsPerGame

Yards per game
----------------------------
128 UTEP 396 198
129 Florida 192 192

# 129 -
We finally did it by not playing a cupcake the first game and starting our usual collapse a few games later. Something tells me we may hover around the # 129 spot for much of the season.

Among the things that can't possibly matter or make any difference... o_O

Stupid / Selfish PED Grier
Selfish / Incompetent TH
Both Gonzo xfers
-----
Not Good Enough LDR
Not Good Enough #2 Happybe
Not Good Enough Franks
Total waste of rsFr and Fr practice time Zaire
Glass Jaw LDR
Back to NGE Franks

While high IQ Trask and Allen remain,,, rotting on the bench question marks.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Among the things that can't possibly matter or make any difference... o_O

Stupid / Selfish PED Grier
Selfish / Incompetent TH
Both Gonzo xfers
-----
Not Good Enough LDR
Not Good Enough #2 Happybe
Not Good Enough Franks
Total waste of rsFr and Fr practice time Zaire
Glass Jaw LDR
Back to NGE Franks

While high IQ Trask and Allen remain,,, rotting on the bench question marks.... :rolleyes:

I think Trask hasn't even recovered from his injury and Franks appears to be pretty lost out there so far. Who knows maybe all those snaps were wasted on them.

Yep Cleveland and Toney are about the only receivers with many yards this season. I figured Cleveland wouldn't be back until Georgia.

This made me laugh seeing it posted today about when Nuss was hired.

"I'm excited to reunite with Coach Mac—we obviously have a long history and share similar philosophies," Nussmeier said :eek:

Attempting to compare UF to 129 other very different teams/SoS's is bad science imo.;)

Good and Bad, as with any team, but not all bad as some would have you believe.

Cherry Picking Stats,,, the stats that most haters would like to ignore after 6 games include but are not limited to... o_O
=====

Total Offense - UF 2,107 -- Opp 2,129 (- 22 yards, -3.7 yds/gm)
Points Scored - UF 142 - Opp 140 (+2)

Ave / Play - UF 5.7 yds -- Opp 5.4 yds (+.3 yards)
Ave / Gm - UF 351.2 -- Opp 354.8 (-3.6 yards)

3rd Dn Conv - UF 27/81 33% -- Opp 26-87 30% (+3%)
4th Dn Conv - UF 8-11 73% -- Opp 4-5 80% (-7%)

TD's Scored - UF 18 -- Opp 14 (+4)
FG's Scored - UF 6-7 88% -- Opp 14-21 67%
Redzone Scores - UF 15-15 -- Opp 15-19

~ Redzone TD's - UF 11-15 73% -- Opp 8-19 42%
=====

Fumbles/Lost - UF 9-5 -- Opp 3-0
(Offense fumbles, while the defense can't get a fumble)

Def Int Returns/Yards - UF 6-109 -- Opp 4-21 (+2-88)
(pass defense is 33% better than Opp's)
Pass Yds - UF 1,088 -- Opp 1,266 (-178 yds, 29.7 yds/gm)
(UF pass offense is U-glee, except for a play here & there)
* Passing TD's - UF 4 -- Opp 9 (-5)

Rush Yds - UF 1,192 -- Opp 1,031 (+161 yds, 26.8 yds/gm)
(On a committee pace to rush for over 2,000 yds/season)
* Rushing TD's - UF 11 -- Opp 4 (+7)

Punting - UF 47.86 -- Opp 41.65 (+6.21)
Net Punting - UF 40.34 -- Opp 40.23 (+.11)
(Crappy ST's coverage of Opp punt returns is killing UF's punter advantage)

ST's Punt Return Ave - UF 4.0 -- Opp 13.12 (-9.12)
(ST's can't return a punt, nor cover an Opp's punt return)
============

The Special Teams are nothing 'special' at all, they are below average imo.
Areas of concern on defense: Tackling - Causing/getting fumbles.

The QB(s) are all below average, at least the one's used so far. (Trask/Allen??? Don't know yet...)
The use of the roster TE's is hit & miss at best, with the best (MS) mostly left on the bench.

When Nuss goes, TE/Special Teams Nord should be going with him.
Stephens 3-18.33 yds/rec -- Goolsby 9-8.67 yds/rec -- Lewis 4-5.25 yds/rec

And since McClarabelle can't seem to choose or coach QB's, he should hire a good QB Coach/OC. Maximize the Good & Minimize the Bad!
Because Mc, I'm betting that next year is your last chance to get things turned around. o_O
PS -- 'Not backing down,' won't keep you from getting your azz fired anyway. :cool: -- I for one, am still hoping that you can get the job done.

Well we are back up to the # 103 total yards/game spot now with the bye week but FSU has now passed us to move into the # 102 total yards/game spot now. The bye week moved us up to the # 36 defense now.

. It Just Means More (and as Jim McElwain recently discovered it sometimes means too much) except when we’re talking about offense in the SEC East. Here are the national rankings for five of those teams:

• 103 — Florida.

• 111 — South Carolina.

• 113 — Kentucky.

• 125 — Vanderbilt.

• 126 — Tennessee.

So Florida has the third best offense in the East. That’s one way to look at it. There are four 0-4 teams in the conference right now and three are in the East. That’s not a good look. And as bad as the division is, Jones is about to go oh-fer in his Tennessee career.

. It Just Means More (and as Jim McElwain recently discovered it sometimes means too much) except when we’re talking about offense in the SEC East. Here are the national rankings for five of those teams:

• 103 — Florida.

• 111 — South Carolina.

• 113 — Kentucky.

• 125 — Vanderbilt.

• 126 — Tennessee.

So Florida has the third best offense in the East. That’s one way to look at it. There are four 0-4 teams in the conference right now and three are in the East. That’s not a good look. And as bad as the division is, Jones is about to go oh-fer in his Tennessee career.

Pretty bad that 5 of the 7 east teams are in the triple digits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT