ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M @ Florida...

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
Looks like this game opened up A&M as a 3 1/2 point road favorite. I can see why the line was set like that but unlike the Miami game I think we have a much better chance to win this game. Unless our defense makes him look much better than he has (which seems to happen a lot lately) their QB hasn't played good and doesn't seem to be in sync with their receivers. He is definitely not in the same ballpark as Cam Ward. They look like they will probably try to lean on their running game a lot. Their offense is limited.

Their defense is an above average SEC defense but this defense isn't as talented as their defense last season and is not in the same league with a team like Georgia.

I think as long as Dickson starts instead of Waites we can use TEs at times and work around the O line issue some. Dickson appears to actually be able to move his feet some on pass protection unlike Waites. I think if we keep them at 24 points or less we will win this game. A&M is also on a long SEC road game losing streak.

I’m ok with Mertz starting. You shouldn’t lose your job because of injury. However you have to play the more talented guy. DJ better be ready.

Reactions: gatordad3
I’m ok with Mertz starting. You shouldn’t lose your job because of injury. However you have to play the more talented guy. DJ better be ready.

No problem benching Mertz as he is getting 100s of thousands here to lose more than he wins. Play Lagway and see what you have. Might even buy Napier an extra loss.

Reactions: Gators1853
If Mertz is healthy, he probably deserves the start. But if we’re ineffective with him, he should sit with the quickness.

I have a hunch Napier is going to stick with Mertz way beyond what is reasonable and drive everybody crazy.

If Mertz is healthy, he probably deserves the start. But if we’re ineffective with him, he should sit with the quickness.

I have a hunch Napier is going to stick with Mertz way beyond what is reasonable and drive everybody crazy.
The only positive is Miami's dline is much better than AM. So maybe our offensive line won't be overwhelmed Saturday.

Sometimes a player gets Wally Pipp'd. Lou Gehrig was just that much better. Loyalty to an individual should never take precedence over what's best for the team. Lagway showed he can make accurate downfield throws and has the mobility to help overcome some of our o-line deficiencies. He took full advantage of the opportunity that fell in his lap and, to me, deserves to run with it. He may be another of UF's Lou Gehrig's.

Napier said in his press conference they are still trying to figure out their best group of O linemen (in week 3 lol). It's why Barber was subbed out a lot. I hope they have at least tried Manuel at RT or RG in practice before to see if he can play those alright. George is not a good run blocker it looks like. Teams will catch on we have to run to the left mostly to be effective.

I'm sure neither Mertz or Lagway would throw their OL, especially Colorado OL Jordan Seaton, under the bus during a post game interview the way Schitt doer Sanders did.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Sounds like Napier has got things covered for Saturday.

Napier asked if UF's OL play goes into the QB decision says "we need to be more consistent up front, right, we need to play with better pad level inside, hands, we need to run off the ball"

Napier on using 2 QBs at Louisiana and if he goes into the week with a specific plan in mind to split reps between Mertz and Lagway or if it's flow of the game: "Yeah I think you'll have some defined parameters going into the game, you know, so you can have confidence and both players can anticipate what to expect."They'll make the play count clear to the players ahead of the game, may be specific to possessions, and it's something they do with all positions of the team. They may split it for three quarters and then go to "who's playing the best" in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
No problem benching Mertz as he is getting 100s of thousands here to lose more than he wins. Play Lagway and see what you have. Might even buy Napier an extra loss.
Give Mertz first 2 series and if we have 10 points on the scoreboard keep him in - if not, Lagway the rest of the way.

And it's not just pushing Mertz aside. Truth is about every game, our schedule gets harder. You really don't want a cold-Laway just getting his first action against UGA. Play him more and more if we aren't scoring points.

Alternate series in the 1st half to be fair to both.

At half-time, evaluate 1st half performances.
Adjust the offensive game plan accordingly.

Then the better performer goes full on the 2nd half...

Reactions: TEBOW TIME
Trying to figure out which of the 2 QB's is better by playing them both during the 3rd game of the season is ridiculous to me. Just gives the opponent a bigger advantage than most of the teams we play will already have. DJ Lagway gives this team the best opportunity to win and should play from start to finish, IMO. Steve Spurrier pulled off rotating QB's, Doug Johnson & Noah Brindise for 1 game to upset #2 FSU in 1997. Billy Napier ain't SOS and I doubt his plan will work. But hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: sadgator
You know better than the accomplished and experienced veteran head coach?

What would Coach Dickey do in this situation?
tee-tee wants to know why you're still talking about HC Dig Ducky??? 😂

All I can say to that other idiocy is this, pointing out the current reality:
2022 6-7
2023 5-6
2024 1-1
Accomplished = 12 - 14 in his so far experienced veteran coaching as the Gator HC/OC.

I'm still hopefully waiting for his cultural improvements to kick in I guess.....
🙄

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Gator Fever

Looks like Timmy could still be playing and Tebow is spot on! The issue with the Gators is NOT the QB! It is the OL and DL, they are BOTH terrible! The last 2 games that Mertz has played in he's been injured.

Last edited:

Looks like Timmy could still be playing and Tebow is spot on! The issue with the Gators is NOT the QB! It is the OL and DL, they are BOTH terrible! The last 2 games that Mertz has played in he's been injured.

QB is limited. If Lagway got some experience he could make a difference imo.. Auburn would have been an 8-4 team without Newton.

Sounds like Napier has got things covered for Saturday.

Napier asked if UF's OL play goes into the QB decision says "we need to be more consistent up front, right, we need to play with better pad level inside, hands, we need to run off the ball"

Napier on using 2 QBs at Louisiana and if he goes into the week with a specific plan in mind to split reps between Mertz and Lagway or if it's flow of the game: "Yeah I think you'll have some defined parameters going into the game, you know, so you can have confidence and both players can anticipate what to expect."They'll make the play count clear to the players ahead of the game, may be specific to possessions, and it's something they do with all positions of the team. They may split it for three quarters and then go to "who's playing the best" in the 4th quarter.

In other words, “when the time comes I’ll pull the decision out of my ass.”

Dammit. I miss Tebow. He should run for President in 2028.

Edit: Not sure if he'll be old enough. Run for Senate and then run for Prez in 2032.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Countygator1
"Yeah I think you'll have some defined parameters going into the game, you know, so you can have confidence and both players can anticipate what to expect."They'll make the play count clear to the players ahead of the game, may be specific to possessions, and it's something they do with all positions of the team. They may split it for three quarters and then go to "who's playing the best" in the 4th quarter.
Boy this sounds disorganized and chaotic. It’s almost better just to pick one even if it is the wrong one…

Please tell sadgator that Napier isn’t going to royally fvck this up by trying to please everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR

While QB-dt Brown was not injured vs #9 Mizzou, or by #5 FSU.

And QB-dt Lagway was not injured by the #10 scUM or by Samfords defense that starts with All-American linebacker Noah Martin. Martin has racked up just about every pre-season accolade one could receive.

The best way to protect QB-pp Mertz from injury in his 3rd consecutive start,,, is to leave him on the sideline....
😉

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT