ADVERTISEMENT

So who ya got as your most talented back, not the starter for 2021 but the guy with the most potential?

FSUvsEverybody

Baby Gator
Aug 1, 2021
I would say it's Demarkcus Bowman followed by Lorenzo Lingard. I don't know if Lingard ever lives up to his 5 star potential but I think Bowman might have a few seasons as the starter even if that doesn't start in 2021. Who do you guys think will start this season? Will it be Bowman, Lingard, Pierce, or Davis?

According to the Gator Sports article, Bowman has been the most impressive. Or at least was during the last scrimmage. Malik Davis will probably get the second most reps. I'm sure Lingard, Wright, and Pierce will get their respective carries. All depends on the situation.

I would say it's Demarkcus Bowman followed by Lorenzo Lingard. I don't know if Lingard ever lives up to his 5 star potential but I think Bowman might have a few seasons as the starter even if that doesn't start in 2021. Who do you guys think will start this season? Will it be Bowman, Lingard, Pierce, or Davis?
Knowing Mullen I doubt Lingard or Bowman will get the most carries. Miami fans claim Lingard is the type to break a big one on FAU but is too stiff to be a gamebreaker against top teams. Not sure on Bowman but he has broke some big runs against the non-starters.

We are loaded at RB. Bowman is the most talented but pretty much missed all of spring. He and Lingard are the home run threats. Pierce will start. Going to be interesting to see how Mullen uses them.

If UFs o line is good they will be dominate running the ball. Good runner at QB, elite runners at RB.

If UFs o line is good they will be dominate running the ball. Good runner at QB, elite runners at RB.
Not counting on our O line to be able to line up and consistently force the ball down a good defense's throat. QB being a runner helps but think the O line is not much above average for an SEC line. They were really pedestrian run blocking last season with a non-running QB.

I think maybe we run the ball good against the first 2 cupcakes and then get a rude awakening from that that point on though teams like Tenn may be easy to run on this season.

Reactions: gatordad3
Huh? Clarify your statement. Emmitt was a projected first round pick so he left.

I think what he meant was Spurrier basically showed him the door, Emmitt and Spurrier both have acknowledged that - but yes, Emmitt was probably gone either way cause he was always bright in business and was gonna comeback and finish his degree no matter what

I think what he meant was Spurrier basically showed him the door, Emmitt and Spurrier both have acknowledged that - but yes, Emmitt was probably gone either way cause he was always bright in business and was gonna comeback and finish his degree no matter what
No inside knowledge - but remembering back then, it was just pretty obvious Emmitt being in Spurrier's offense - while already a 1st rounder didn't make sense for anyone.

Reactions: PacoGator19

Don't blame Spurrier for not doing the butt kissing treatment. He was probably gone regardless and I doubt it changes anything results wise if he returned.

think maybe we run the ball good against the first 2 cupcakes and then get a rude awakening from that that point on…
51eb54_039e321bc10545ec96abb4e191006774~mv2.jpg

Still hasn’t learned…

Still hasn’t learned…

This O line needs to show they can. It seems they can't force their will run blocking on most good defenses. Just off the top of my head we didn't run the ball well at all against Bama, A&M or Georgia last season and Oklahoma many of those runs were in garbage time after we were well behind.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
This O line needs to show they can. It seems they can't force their will run blocking on most good defenses. Just off the top of my head we didn't run the ball well at all against Bama, A&M or Georgia last season and Oklahoma many of those runs were in garbage time after we were well behind.
They say the definition of insanity is to do the exact same thing over and over while expecting to get different results. Your argument follows along those lines, and there is an undeniable logic to what you are saying.

However, the Mullen run game is predicated on a running QB. Partly because of the RPO and, well, option options it provides, and partly because it puts an extra blocker out there. In the past couple of years, how many times did we have a running play blow up because there was an unblocked guy? Many, which is why having an extra blocker is so important.

In going to Trask, Mullen gave up a large portion of his run game in order to have a dynamic passing game, and he did that on purpose. Now with our two dual threat guys, the full run game playbook is available to us.

Does this mean "oh, well now of course we will run the ball well?" No. Not saying that. Just that we aren't doing the same thing and expecting different results, we are doing a different thing, which should lead to different results, and, we are hoping, better results. In the limited time Jones played last year we did run the ball fairly well, so that hope isn't totally unfounded.

They say the definition of insanity is to do the exact same thing over and over while expecting to get different results. Your argument follows along those lines, and there is an undeniable logic to what you are saying.

However, the Mullen run game is predicated on a running QB. Partly because of the RPO and, well, option options it provides, and partly because it puts an extra blocker out there. In the past couple of years, how many times did we have a running play blow up because there was an unblocked guy? Many, which is why having an extra blocker is so important.

In going to Trask, Mullen gave up a large portion of his run game in order to have a dynamic passing game, and he did that on purpose. Now with our two dual threat guys, the full run game playbook is available to us.

Does this mean "oh, well now of course we will run the ball well?" No. Not saying that. Just that we aren't doing the same thing and expecting different results, we are doing a different thing, which should lead to different results, and, we are hoping, better results. In the limited time Jones played last year we did run the ball fairly well, so that hope isn't totally unfounded.
I understand we will be back to normal Mullen offense with Trask gone and the % of run plays will skyrocket but these O linemen have never looked good at run blocking to me - against a stout defense anyway. I guess if Jones is a big threat passing it will help a lot but we will see I guess.

If we don't run the ball easily on the first 2 opponents I doubt they have improved much. S FL may be a little test on that. Not sure if FAU can stop anything.

Recruiting on the Oline is a problem imo. i know we have some well-rated guys but they don't all hit. We don't recruit on the oline well year to year, and it's adding up. That mentioend - I do think our 6-7 deep should be good but if there are a couple of injuries it could be a real problem.

Reactions: Gator Fever

I pretty much agree overall. The only thing I'd pick on :) or I should say, the only thing Mullen seems to sidestep when talking about the running game is that we can't run even when we should. 3rd and 3 or even less - there's no way we're running the ball. Last year - okay you have Trask/Pitts but the year before was brutal. In looking at the last 2 years, you could summize that we were lucky last year having Trask/Pitts or this would be an even worse issue.

Hoping for better this year though so we'll see :)

Why would you have the RB with the most 'POTENTIAL' not starting???
How do the criminole coaches chose their starters?

The 'Potential' batting order at RB for 2021 is like this, I believe:
Pierce - Blaster Power, running or blocking.
Davis - Off Tackle Cuts & Receiver
Wright - Best Combination of Run/Receive.
Lingard - Remains to be seen on the field.
Bowman -- Mostly a kick/punt returner and/or cover man on ST's this year.

Just my own guess as to who would be best in the slot:
Davis > Wright > Bowman > Pierce > Lingard

As to the 2021 OL, the new starters have yet to be seen playing together in a real game.
Gouraige from LG to LT
White to LG
Equakun to OC
Reese at RG
RT Delance 6-5 307 rsSr was rumored to be injured and playing through it last season. If true and he can come back strong and competent, then fine.
If not, then I'm hoping to see Braun 6-6 342 Soph at RT, sooner rather than later...

Note: At that time, Erritt Rhett became the only RB in SEC history to finish his career with 4,000+ rushing yards, PLUS 1,000+ receiving yards.
Smith incorrectly thought that SOS was going to be all 'Fun & Gun' with virtually no running game.
Rumor I heard at the time was that he wanted guaranteed carries to stay and was told no. Either way, that water went under the bridge a long time ago and has ZERO relevance to anything about this team/RB's or HC....

Last edited:
Don't blame Spurrier for not doing the butt kissing treatment. He was probably gone regardless and I doubt it changes anything results wise if he returned.

I didn't blame Spurrier - hell, the only recruitment of a player i blame Spurrier on was letting Clinton Portis get out of Gville. Just saying, Spurrier has said he didn't do much to try and keep Emmitt and Emmitt said the same - neither one was angry about it, it just was what it was

No inside knowledge - but remembering back then, it was just pretty obvious Emmitt being in Spurrier's offense - while already a 1st rounder didn't make sense for anyone.
I don't blame Emmitt for leaving. However if he was an underclassmen he would have done well in Spurrier's offense. Erictt Rhett had a nice career Fred Taylor had an awesome senior season. Terry Jackson and Earnest Graham weren't too shabby for never being bell cows while sharing the load in their respective rosters.

I don't blame Emmitt for leaving. However if he was an underclassmen he would have done well in Spurrier's offense. Erictt Rhett had a nice career Fred Taylor had an awesome senior season. Terry Jackson and Earnest Graham weren't too shabby for never being bell cows while sharing the load in their respective rosters.

Rhett didn't have as many carries but I think his per carry average was about the same as Emmitt's that 1st year in Spurrier's offense.

Just to be clear - Emmitt would have been great under Spurrier. But that might have looked like 800 yards rushing and a bunch of catches.

It just wouldn't' have helped him get drafted any higher I think was the consensus.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Why would you have the RB with the most 'POTENTIAL' not starting???
How do the criminole coaches chose their starters?

The 'Potential' batting order at RB for 2021 is like this, I believe:
Pierce - Blaster Power, running or blocking.
Davis - Off Tackle Cuts & Receiver
Wright - Best Combination of Run/Receive.
Lingard - Remains to be seen on the field.
Bowman -- Mostly a kick/punt returner and/or cover man on ST's this year.

Just my own guess as to who would be best in the slot:
Davis > Wright > Bowman > Pierce > Lingard

As to the 2021 OL, the new starters have yet to be seen playing together in a real game.
Gouraige from LG to LT
White to LG
Equakun to OC
Reese at RG
RT Delance 6-5 307 rsSr was rumored to be injured and playing through it last season. If true and he can come back strong and competent, then fine.
If not, then I'm hoping to see Braun 6-6 342 Soph at RT, sooner rather than later...

Note: At that time, Erritt Rhett became the only RB in SEC history to finish his career with 4,000+ rushing yards, PLUS 1,000+ receiving yards.
Smith incorrectly thought that SOS was going to be all 'Fun & Gun' with virtually no running game.
Rumor I heard at the time was that he wanted guaranteed carries to stay and was told no. Either way, that water went under the bridge a long time ago and has ZERO relevance to anything about this team/RB's or HC....
I would say Bowman and Lingard are more talented than Pierce or Davis but you don't think they'll be the starter. So that's an example of the best potential not being the starter imo. Or for instance Frank Gore at Miami was probably higher ceiling than Clinton Portis but wasn't gonna play over him as a freshmen. Being older and knowing the plays plus having the experience at game speed is important and can let a less talented player start over a young guy whose gonna end up being the better player eventually. Remember Karlos Williams started over Dalvin Cook in 2014.

I would say Bowman and Lingard are more talented than Pierce or Davis but you don't think they'll be the starter. So that's an example of the best potential not being the starter imo. Or for instance Frank Gore at Miami was probably higher ceiling than Clinton Portis but wasn't gonna play over him as a freshmen. Being older and knowing the plays plus having the experience at game speed is important and can let a less talented player start over a young guy whose gonna end up being the better player eventually. Remember Karlos Williams started over Dalvin Cook in 2014.

Carries for all these RBs will be hard to come by after the first 2 cupcake games. Besides the QB keeping the ball a lot about 3 of them wont be getting on the field a lot probably unless the game is a blowout. I am wondering how much Davis will be used for passing plays however.

Carries for all these RBs will be hard to come by after the first 2 cupcake games. Besides the QB keeping the ball a lot about 3 of them wont be getting on the field a lot probably unless the game is a blowout. I am wondering how much Davis will be used for passing plays however.
Davis is an excellent receiver. That alone will get him on the field.

I may look up what the non #1 RBs got in carries/yards under Mullen at Miss State and here except for last year just to see what it looks like though Franks didn't let him run his normal offense either.

# 2 and # 3 RBs yards at Miss State:

09: 263 and 221 yards
10: 566 and 221 yards
11: 422 and 108 yards
12: 335 and 223 yards
13: 459 and 190 yards
14: 294 and 274 yards
15: 228 and 206 yards
16: 257 and 226 yards
17: 393 and 239 yards

I guess a little over 1/2 the time the # 2 RB got quite a few carries at Miss State.

RB room is stacked - probably going to run for 300 yards/game this year.

Pretty lofty expectations there - Mullen only had a few of those most seasons at MSU and its only happened once in 3 years here though this will be the first year he is running what he normally does.

Pretty lofty expectations there - Mullen only had a few of those most seasons at MSU and its only happened once in 3 years here though this will be the first year he is running what he normally does.
Well yeah - just a general statement of being more run heavy. Don't quote me on the 300 haha.

2020 RB's: (HS recruiting stars don't mean chit on the college field)

Rushing

1. Pierce - 106 for 503 yds, 4.7 YPC, 4 TD's, L-38

2. Davis - 66 for 310 yds, 4.7 YPC, 1 TD, L-39

3. Wright - 54 for 213 yds, 3.9 YPC, 2 TD, L-26

4. Lingard - 5 for 32 yds, 6.4 YPC, L-13
(4 runs for 4.7 YPC Plus the one 13 yard run in mop-up)
-----

Bowman - 9 for 32 yds, 3.6 YPC -- in 1st 2 Gms @ Clemson

Receiving

1. Davis - 31 for 377 yds, 12.2 YPR, L-39

2. Wright - 19 for 219 yds, 11.2 YPR, L-50

3. Pierce - 17 for 156 yds, 9.2 YPR, L-35

Lingard - N/A
Bowman - N/A

Note: We know that Pierce/Davis/Wright can block and know the play book.
Neither Lingard nor Bowman have proven chit in a game for the Gators,,, YET.
I believe that they will both eventually be very good RB's at UF, but it remains to be seen....

UF 35 - 14 FAU -- FAU's 2 TD's both came in backup garbage time at the end.
More important for backups and young guys to get reps, than to get a defensive shutout....

Rushing:

Richardson
- 7 for 160 Yds, 22.9 YPC, L-73, 1 TD
Even without the long 73 Yd run, 6 for 87 Yds, 14.5 YPC. = WTF!
>>> I been saying for over a year that I wouldn't trade 4-star Richardson for 5-star Beck...
-- I also wouldn't trade him for the Choker's 5-star baby Rattler....

Jones - 10 for 75 Yds, 7.5 ypc, L-23, 0 TD
-----
Davis - 14 for 104 Yds, 7.4 YPC, L-31, 1 TD.
---
Pierce - 6 for 31 Yds, 5.2 YPC, L-9, 2 TD's
Bowman - 4 for 20 Yds, 5.0 YPC, L-15, 0 TD (3 for 5 yds)

Lingard - 2 for 6 Yds, 3.0 YPC, L-4, 0 TD
Wright - 3 for 5 Yds, 1.7 YPC, L-6 Yds, 0 TD

Total - 46 for 400 Yds, 8.7 YPC, L-73, 4 TD's
(again, HS recruiting stars don't mean chit on the college field)
=====

Combined Passing
- 20 of 35, 57.1% for 153 Yds, L 36, 1 TD.

Too many dropped balls by receivers, and too many poorly thrown balls by the QB's. The Passing Game Needs More Work.... (well duh)
=====

Receiving:

Weston - 3 for 44 Yds, 14.7 Yds/Rec, L-36, 0 TD

Wells - 5 for 36 Yds, 7.2 Yds/Rec, L-13, 1 TD
Pierce - 5 for 25 Yds, 5.0 Yds/Rec, L-9, 0 TD
Shorter 4 for 11 Yds, 2.75 Yds/Rec, L-5 Yds, 0 TD
-----
Whittemore - 1 for 18 Yds, O TD
Copeland 1 for 15 Yds, 0 TD
Wright - 1 for 4 Yds, 0 TD

Been waiting on Weston's breakout. He and Whittemore are my guys at WR.
I believe that legacy Jackson will eventually also be one to watch....

Did the TE's take the night off, or did the Game Plan leave them out? WTF???
I wanna see legacy Odom and newbee Elksnis get some reps.

Not Impressed With: Blades, Perkins, or McDanial with their lack of focus penalties.
Both Marshall & Helm need more practice reps....
But still, all in all, a nice 1st game Gator's win.

Run/Pass Balance = 53.33% 40 Runs -- 46.66% 35 Passes

Attempts were fairly balanced. However, production was obviously with the runs.
==========

NOTE --- To those with their heads nailed-to-da-flor....
Choke-la-homo got a paltry 5 Pt 1st game win over little Too-Lame, (40-35).
🤗

Over-rated Team, last NC in 2000
Over-rated HC, last NC Riley Coyote = NADA
Over-rated 5-star QB, 10.1 Yds/Comp, 2 Ints to 1 TD and 1 Sac, QBR 75.1
Rushing 8 for 7 Yds, 0.9 YPC, L-7, 1 TD
😄

UF 35 - 14 FAU -- FAU's 2 TD's both came in backup garbage time at the end.
More important for backups and young guys to get reps, than to get a defensive shutout....

Rushing:

Richardson
- 7 for 160 Yds, 22.9 YPC, L-73, 1 TD
Even without the long 73 Yd run, 6 for 87 Yds, 14.5 YPC. = WTF!
>>> I been saying for over a year that I wouldn't trade 4-star Richardson for 5-star Beck...
-- I also wouldn't trade him for the Choker's 5-star baby Rattler....

Jones - 10 for 75 Yds, 7.5 ypc, L-23, 0 TD
-----
Davis - 14 for 104 Yds, 7.4 YPC, L-31, 1 TD.
---
Pierce - 6 for 31 Yds, 5.2 YPC, L-9, 2 TD's
Bowman - 4 for 20 Yds, 5.0 YPC, L-15, 0 TD (3 for 5 yds)

Lingard - 2 for 6 Yds, 3.0 YPC, L-4, 0 TD
Wright - 3 for 5 Yds, 1.7 YPC, L-6 Yds, 0 TD

Total - 46 for 400 Yds, 8.7 YPC, L-73, 4 TD's
(again, HS recruiting stars don't mean chit on the college field)
=====

Combined Passing
- 20 of 35, 57.1% for 153 Yds, L 36, 1 TD.

Too many dropped balls by receivers, and too many poorly thrown balls by the QB's. The Passing Game Needs More Work.... (well duh)
=====

Receiving:

Weston - 3 for 44 Yds, 14.7 Yds/Rec, L-36, 0 TD

Wells - 5 for 36 Yds, 7.2 Yds/Rec, L-13, 1 TD
Pierce - 5 for 25 Yds, 5.0 Yds/Rec, L-9, 0 TD
Shorter 4 for 11 Yds, 2.75 Yds/Rec, L-5 Yds, 0 TD
-----
Whittemore - 1 for 18 Yds, O TD
Copeland 1 for 15 Yds, 0 TD
Wright - 1 for 4 Yds, 0 TD

Been waiting on Weston's breakout. He and Whittemore are my guys at WR.
I believe that legacy Jackson will eventually also be one to watch....

Did the TE's take the night off, or did the Game Plan leave them out? WTF???
I wanna see legacy Odom and newbee Elksnis get some reps.

Not Impressed With: Blades, Perkins, or McDanial with their lack of focus penalties.
Both Marshall & Helm need more practice reps....
But still, all in all, a nice 1st game Gator's win.

Run/Pass Balance = 53.33% 40 Runs -- 46.66% 35 Passes
Attempts were fairly balanced. However, production was obviously with the runs.
==========

NOTE --- To those with their heads nailed-to-da-flor....
Choke-la-homo got a paltry 5 Pt 1st game win over little Too-Lame, (40-35).
🤗

Over-rated Team, last NC in 2000
Over-rated HC, last NC Riley Coyote = NADA
Over-rated 5-star QB, 10.1 Yds/Comp, 2 Ints to 1 TD and 1 Sac, QBR 75.1
Rushing 8 for 7 Yds, 0.9 YPC, L-7, 1 TD
😄

Stats are stats or you would toss out all the stats for very bad teams like FAU.

I know Trask is better than Franks but Franks is on a NFL roster. Not sure Mullen starting Franks as much as he did was bad judgment by Mullen. Franks is certainly the better physical specimen and fits more of the type of offense Mullen wanted to run. Mullen had to entirely change the offense to fit the skill sets of Trask and do something he’s never done before which is throw it like 80% of the time.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT