ADVERTISEMENT

So, ummm that new staff recruiting bump that always happens...

We've definitely reached on 2-3 players but if we end up with a top 10 class and fill needs I won't care. There's always a couple of guys that you take that are reaches. We could have a class of up to 30 (25 +5 EE) - hopefully my math is correct lol.

People complain about the 2-3 reaches but it's not like we're taking those guys, but could have had 5-stars instead. There's room in this class so hopefully we finish with 6-8 more top players and we'll be set.

Last edited:
Word is some of those 2-3 star guys have been told to look elsewhere as interest has picked up from the 4-5 star recruits UF usually gets.

Some shifting around in the class happens every year. No big deal imo.

2016 Class: 1 QB, 3 OL, 2 RB, 4 WR -- 2 S, 5 CB, 2LB, 2 DE - need a couple of DT's.
ESPN - 9 are already 4 star rated. 4 are Top 300's, 2 are 4-5 star JuCo's.
Both Rivals & 247 Composite Site rates the recruiting class currently at #14.

As I've said all along, NO WORRIES MATES! :cool:

There is nothing wrong with 3 or even 2-stars. I personally a film guy. Unless you're a complete homer you have to admit some of our takes are pure reaches that you typically offer late or not at all. How many guys do we have committed not even ranked at their position? It's still early so the hope is we improve with a good season, but there's cause for concern. If you go by average star ranking, we're closer to 30th in the country than 14. Is that good enough? We're rated in the top 15 now because we have more commits than most teams thus having more total points. And again I'm not really a star guy, I like Myers more than anybody else in our class for example. But it is what it is, going by the rankings which people like to use so much we're mediocre at best right now.

Ooz, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Myers & what about it is that has you so high on him. I have very mixed thoughts on how I think he'll do in college. I've watched him play a lot (he's from my hometown, where I still live, and I go to most of the games of the local HS for which he plays). I know a lot of his family (mother's side) very well. I hope he has a great career for you guys (though, obviously, I hope he goes 0-fer against FSU), but what I've seen of him this year & last I'm not sure I see the athleticism needed to be a top notch DB in major college football. He has ideal size & speed, but he just doesn't seem to make much happen in games. With dominant athletes, HS coaches typically go out of their way to get the ball to them (or at least attempt to do so) at least 5 or 6 times a game - but his team rarely does that. He's only caught a handful of passes all year, they don't give it to him on reverses or direct snaps, those things that teams do with an electrifying athlete.

I hope you're right & that he plays well for you, then goes on the to the NFL.

#10 DE Antonneous Clayton 6-4 218 **** 84 - Vienna, Ga. (rivals #1 DE)
Offers: UF - UA, AU, UK, LSU, Ms, MsSt, Mz, SCa, Tenn. -- FSU, Mia, UCF -- Bay, Cal, Clem, GaTech, UL, Mich, MichSt, NC, ND, OK, Ore, Tx, UCLA, VaTech, with 36 total offers so far.

With his commit, Scout recruiting now has UF at #10 in the Nation. (rivals & 247 #12)
---------------

Per ESPN Recruiting - Gator 4 Stars Verbals:
21 -- 0 - 10 - 10 - 1 -- With 4 ESPN Top 300's

90+ = 5 Star - 80+ = 4 Star - 70+ = 3 Star

#10 DE A. Clayton 6-4 218 **** 84 - Vienna, GA (ESPN Top 300)
#12 WR J. Hammond **** 84 -- FL (ESPN Top 300)
#6 CB/S C. Gardenr **** 82 -- FL (ESPN Top 300)
#49 WR F. Swain **** 80 -- FL (ESPN Top 300)
------------

#13 S Q. Lenton **** 81 -- Meridian, MS
#15 OLB V. Joseph **** 80 -- FL
#21 OLB J. Moon **** 80 -- Hoover, AL
#23 CB/Ath J. Myers **** 80 -- FL
#59 WR R. Wells **** 80 -- FL
#72 WR I. Johnson **** 80 -- FL

#1 JuCo RB M.Thompson **** (by 247 - ESPN does not rate the JuCo's)
--------------------------------------

Likely to be 4 Stars by NSD according to ESPN's ratings:
#9 OC B. Heggie *** 79 - now an UA-AA
#53 DE J. Bailey *** 79
#56 DE E. Mitchell ***79
--------------
#39 S J. Taylor *** 78
#49 CB/RB M. Brunett *** 78
------------
#32 QB-PP K. Trask *** 77
#58 CB/Ath A. Robinson *** 77

Last edited:
Ooz, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Myers & what about it is that has you so high on him. I have very mixed thoughts on how I think he'll do in college. I've watched him play a lot (he's from my hometown, where I still live, and I go to most of the games of the local HS for which he plays). I know a lot of his family (mother's side) very well. I hope he has a great career for you guys (though, obviously, I hope he goes 0-fer against FSU), but what I've seen of him this year & last I'm not sure I see the athleticism needed to be a top notch DB in major college football. He has ideal size & speed, but he just doesn't seem to make much happen in games. With dominant athletes, HS coaches typically go out of their way to get the ball to them (or at least attempt to do so) at least 5 or 6 times a game - but his team rarely does that. He's only caught a handful of passes all year, they don't give it to him on reverses or direct snaps, those things that teams do with an electrifying athlete.

If we land his bro, it doesn't really matter

So far I think he's the most electric player in our class. I'd be with you if he was gonna play offense, but he has all the tools needed to be a great DB. Very quick feet, long arms, and wiggle.Idk how fast he is in a straight line, but that's not as important, especially if we keep using this zone heavy scheme Collins prefers. I'd be surprised if he isn't getting snaps by his sophomore year at a minimum in the secondary. Oddly enough, I'm not a huge Nate Craig Myers fan. I want him at UF if for no other reason that momentum, but I'm not seeing what everybody else is seeing. Guess we'll see when they both hit the college rank.

Both of the Myers brothers are really good but watch this Freddie Swain kid play WR. Not to mention Josh Hammond has been tearing it up as well.

Ermon Lane = 5 Star, Antonio Callaway = 4 Star. Which would you rather have, (show cause). o_O

#12 WR J. Hammond **** 84 -- FL (ESPN Top 300)
#49 WR F. Swain **** 80 -- FL (ESPN Top 300)
#59 WR R. Wells **** 80 -- FL
#72 WR I. Johnson 6-3 204 4.69/40 **** 80 -- FL (flipped UL to Mia to UF -- B-Ball SF)
And if Johnson doesn't make the field early as a WR, he's open to switching to TE if needed.

Any more quality WR's in this class would be some 'sweet icing' for the cake! :)

So far I think he's the most electric player in our class. I'd be with you if he was gonna play offense, but he has all the tools needed to be a great DB. Very quick feet, long arms, and wiggle.Idk how fast he is in a straight line, but that's not as important, especially if we keep using this zone heavy scheme Collins prefers. I'd be surprised if he isn't getting snaps by his sophomore year at a minimum in the secondary. Oddly enough, I'm not a huge Nate Craig Myers fan. I want him at UF if for no other reason that momentum, but I'm not seeing what everybody else is seeing. Guess we'll see when they both hit the college rank.

The frame/long arms I definitely see; the part of which I'm not as sure is the quick feet & the "wiggle." That's the thing I haven't really seen him demonstrate in game action the last couple of years. Sort of feel the same with his brother, though he sometimes overcomes it with size & speed.

The frame/long arms I definitely see; the part of which I'm not as sure is the quick feet & the "wiggle." That's the thing I haven't really seen him demonstrate in game action the last couple of years. Sort of feel the same with his brother, though he sometimes overcomes it with size & speed.

Actually agree with you on NCM. He's fast in a straight line, but is extremely stiff IMO. From what I see he just bullies kids who aren't as big or fast as him, but in terms of actually playing receiver it's just 'meh' to me. I think Victor, Bruce, and Swain are all better. I like Stove more than him also.

If we have a NSD like last year, with several big names choosing us, and maybe a nice surprise or two, this will be a huge haul.

I think it's hard for some to get pass the mystique of the team rankings. Everyone understandably wants to brag about their teams final ranking.

Unfortunately we're just not in position to play the rankings game. We NEED bodies, rankings be damned! We played two linebackers all year, we have no kicker or Oline depth. I think next year the staff can really focus on rankings if they so choose. Right now it's absolutely imperative that we address the roster depth concerns.

We may finish with a few of the top guys on NSD, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

We're still strongly in the running for about a dozen prospects. If we bag 6-8 of them as I suspect we will, at least a couple more low ranking early commits will have to be pushed out.

Only ‪#‎Gators‬ juniors I didn't see leaving practice were Kelvin Taylor, Demarcus Robinson, Alex McCalister (hurt) and Vernon Hargreaves.-Goldkamp

2016 Class Rankings: 12-19-15
12 Offense - 12 Defense - 1 Special Teams

#1 Scout - 25 -- 1 - 11 - 11 - 2

#5 Rivals - 25 -- 0 - 8 - 16 - 1

#7 ESPN - 25 -- 0 - 12 - 13 - 0 -- 6 Top 300's

#9 247Sports Composite - 25 -- 0 - 8 - 17 - 0
(I've yet to figure out how 1/5/7 can average out to a #9...) :confused:

Mac Attack is flipping these kids like burgers on a grill...it's awesome...it's like magic how he's come in and make all of these changes...you really have to hand it to the man...literally he has done as good of job as I could have hoped for...Gator Nation is hard to please and Mac has exceeded pretty much every ones expectations and I couldn't be happier with the football program. We are going to be 2 years ahead of getting back on track. Some people might not realize but we were on the edge of despair and Mac has turned this program around. The man has been pulling rabbits out of his damn hat. It's been awesome to see the changes and excitement a

Right now we have a top 10 recruiting class on Rivals, Scout and ESPN. Combine that with the fact we have 11 EEs and I would say recruiting has been going pretty good so far. The 11 EEs is really big.

Right now we have a top 10 recruiting class on Rivals, Scout and ESPN. Combine that with the fact we have 11 EEs and I would say recruiting has been going pretty good so far. The 11 EEs is really big.

Victor seems to be trending back our way, that would be a nice get.

A dream recruit would be Manuel, just not sure that happens

Victor seems to be trending back our way, that would be a nice get.

A dream recruit would be Manuel, just not sure that happens
Victor is really good. He may be the best WR in the state and that is saying something.

While another top WR or two would be okay wid-me, I'm also okay with what we already have returning, and the ones coming in this class. Two are 6-4, at least 2 have sub 4.4/40 speed, and several have already demonstrated SEC talent levels.
With a better and more experienced OL, and with new/better QB play, the WR's should be able to perform at a high level.

Raphael Andrades 6-0 203 rsSr 2L (GP-6-0)

Ahmad Fulwood 6-4 208 Sr 3L (GP-13/2)
Chris Thompson 6-0 171 4.35/40 Sr 3L (GP-12/2) (ST's star)
Alvin Bailey 5-11 192 rsJr 1L (GP-10/0)

Brandon Powell 5-9 184 4.4/40 Jr 2L (GP-13/9)
C.J. Worton 6-0 195 Jr 2L (GP-5/0) (a great TD catch in the SEC-C game)
Ryan Sousa 6-0 195 rsSo (GP-2/0)

Antonio Callaway 5-11 198 So 1L (GP-13/12) (better than D-Rob imo)

Kalif Jackson 6-4 212 rsFr SQ - EE
Glenn Jarriel 5-8 173 rsFr SQ
-----------
#5 WR (JC) Dre Massey 6-0 185 4.3/40 Jr **** EE

#12 WR Josh Hammond 6-1 179 4.5/40 Fr **** EE
#14 WR Freddie Swain 6-1 185 4.5/40 Fr
**** EE
#61 WR Rick Wells 6-1 195 4.6/40 Fr ****
============

And don't forget the very solid TE core that's returning.

A lot of our commits are performing very well in the Under Armor practices. Most notably Gardner, Clayton and Hammond.

I read a coach saying Hammond might be the best one there in his opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT