ADVERTISEMENT

So Holes, tell us about Norvell

Is he a home run?

Is he the big game that Hole Nation wanted to hunt?
Absolutely no clue. Frost was supposed to be a home run hire and we see how that went. Urban was a G5 risk and look at what he did. Norvell could fall flat on his face or take us to the ACC title game next year. Time will tell and I'm not saying a damn thing until I at least see the staff he hires. If it's anything like Willie's shitty staff, I may miss half the games next year like I did this year. Heck, I didn't even watch a single down of the UF/FSU game if that's any indication of my indifference on this program currently.

Absolutely no clue. Frost was supposed to be a home run hire and we see how that went. Urban was a G5 risk and look at what he did. Norvell could fall flat on his face or take us to the ACC title game next year. Time will tell and I'm not saying a damn thing until I at least see the staff he hires. If it's anything like Willie's shitty staff, I may miss half the games next year like I did this year. Heck, I didn't even watch a single down of the UF/FSU game if that's any indication of my indifference on this program currently.
Yeah but didn’t your think the staff that Taggart hired was good?

Yeah but didn’t your think the staff that Taggart hired was good?
Pieces of it, but always felt he was just hiring pals. Taggart said all the right things, but in retrospect is was all just smoke and mirrors. I also, admittedly, haven't gone through this very often in my lifetime...I'm now cautiously optimistic.

From a poster on the 247 site:

Things Norvell can do quickly to win over fans

1 - win today
2 - Don't coach Memphis bowl game. Leave immediately to start fixing FSU
3 - first official act is fire Harlon
4 - Assemble his staff QUICKLY
5 - Retain Odell
6 - Get a top shelf DC
7 - State a clear and realistic plan at his presser
8 - get immediate help on OL for next year via xfer/portal
9 - Win back at least 2 decommits this cycle
10 - convince at least one junior expected to bolt to stay
11 - Hold onto Sims

Norvell will be a players coach and they will really like playing for him

Watch him at halftime today just before the team goes to the locker room

As always, the issue will be can get top ten recruiting classes? Looking beyond the ratings, he got a lot of kids to come to Memphis when those kids had offers from Miss, Miss State, Tennessee, Colorado and more.

Memphis is right now better than FSU. Fewer 4 and 5 star kids but plenty of 3 stars and very athletic

Still surprised FSU did not go the major assistant route though. Kirby Smart, Dan Mullen stuff.

Pieces of it, but always felt he was just hiring pals. Taggart said all the right things, but in retrospect is was all just smoke and mirrors. I also, admittedly, haven't gone through this very often in my lifetime...I'm now cautiously optimistic.

1 - win today
5 - Retain Odell
6 - Get a top shelf DC
11 - Hold onto Sims

What if Cincy rolls Memphis?

Not likely but..

And what if Norvell demanded to coach Memphis in the Cotton Bowl if they win?

I don’t think that is a good idea but what if? And what if they play Florida? Then lose to Florida!

“It appears that he will be named head coach at Florida State,” host Rece Davis said of Norvell, referencing his appearance in the AAC Championship Game on Saturday. “The deal could be announced on Sunday. He has been a coveted guy. ... That is the one that you wonder how it will impact the (AAC Championship) Game today, with Memphis playing Cincinnati, the second time.”

“I also love to see Florida State, if that ends up going down, Mike Norvell, really an innovative offensive mind,” analyst Kirk Herbstreit added. “Always attacking. Knows how to recruit. He has got a game himself, as you said, that will be focus for him to just try to win this game, win a championship.”

“Norvell, I want to see how he recruits for Florida State,” fellow analyst Desmond Howard added. “That is a very interesting mix to me. Norvell up there in Tallahassee.”

Not likely but..

I don’t think that is a good idea but what if? And what if they play Florida? Then lose to Florida!
What if my aunt was a guy? ...she'd be my uncle. What if Dan Mullen loses to Georgia again next year? What if he wins?

Last edited:
I've been monitoring the 150+ page thread on Gatorcountry about just how little they care about FSU's coaching search. The consensus is he is a poor character guy with alcohol and drug problems who bangs coeds and gambles heavily and absolutely no threat to ever beat the gators.

I've been monitoring the 150+ page thread on Gatorcountry about just how little they care about FSU's coaching search. The consensus is he is a poor character guy with alcohol and drug problems who bangs coeds and gambles heavily and absolutely no threat to ever beat the gators.
One of the many reasons I avoid swamp gas.

Reactions: TennesseeGator

Was Mullen a popular choice for us on Whorechant??

Pimp hand way scrong

kzrigoe2z0stzeavsb7v.jpg

Not likely but..

kb851,

Your scenario reminds me of 2004 & the Fiesta Bowl.

Some upstart, non - power 5 coach demanded to finish the season with his current team in the Fiesta Bowl before moving on to some SEC school.

Wait, wasn't that Urban Meyer at Utah before he took over at UF ?

Obviously, if you are a Nole, you want Norvell to go to Tallahassee to announce his acceptance, kick Memphis to the curb, & take over at FSU immediately following the press conference.

The two situations are not identical; Utah was undefeated (11-0) & Meyer had until NSD in February to assemble his 1st recruiting class.

College football now has ESD in December - (before the Cotton Bowl) & Memphis is not undefeated.

Interesting to see what happens; maybe Norvell will hold out for more money & then kick FSU to the curb; wouldn't that be great ?

Norvell isn't even going to be the head coach anyways, so I don't know why everyone is discussing it so much.

1 - win today
5 - Retain Odell
6 - Get a top shelf DC
11 - Hold onto Sims

Some of these seem unlikely.

Also, Norvell runs his own offense, so Briles will have to go, as they are not compatible offenses. which I don't mind, as Briles was a great hire. Thank goodness Taggart hamstrung him by not allowing him to practice tempo.

No clue...that place is a sewer. I told Paco, though, I thought he was a good fit for UF...wasn't sure he was "the guy", but a 9-10 year type of coach for sure.

Well, it sounds like Norvell will be a good solid hire. However it will take time to build relationships with high schools, etc. for recruiting purposes.

I am one who believes a good healthy competition between UF/FSU benefits both schools and makes for better football to watch.

What is my aunt was a guy? ...she'd be my uncle. What if Dan Mullen loses to Georgia again next year? What if he wins?
No need for you to be such a dick.

Congratulations Mike (who I know) on moving from a soulful champion city like Memphis to coach a bunch of thugs who play for unappreciative dickhead fans

kb851,

Your scenario reminds me of 2004 & the Fiesta Bowl.

Some upstart, non - power 5 coach demanded to finish the season with his current team in the Fiesta Bowl before moving on to some SEC school.

Wait, wasn't that Urban Meyer at Utah before he took over at UF ?

Obviously, if you are a Nole, you want Norvell to go to Tallahassee to announce his acceptance, kick Memphis to the curb, & take over at FSU immediately following the press conference.

The two situations are not identical; Utah was undefeated (11-0) & Meyer had until NSD in February to assemble his 1st recruiting class.

College football now has ESD in December - (before the Cotton Bowl) & Memphis is not undefeated.

Interesting to see what happens; maybe Norvell will hold out for more money & then kick FSU to the curb; wouldn't that be great ?
Dude, I was just free wheeling. Don’t be a Nole

As a general rule, the coach should leave for his new team.

Also though, there should be something in effect to disallow coaching contacts until a season is over. FSU shitty recruiting is not Memphis problem.

That won’t happen but I don’t need some thug Nole asshole giving me shit and certainly not any Gator alums emulating that. You weren’t but little patience.

Dude, I was just free wheeling. Don’t be a Nole

As a general rule, the coach should leave for his new team.

Also though, there should be something in effect to disallow coaching contacts until a season is over. FSU shitty recruiting is not Memphis problem.

That won’t happen but I don’t need some thug Nole asshole giving me shit and certainly not any Gator alums emulating that. You weren’t but little patience.

Im a thug nole

Giving you some shit

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Well, it sounds like Norvell will be a good solid hire. However it will take time to build relationships with high schools, etc. for recruiting purposes.

I am one who believes a good healthy competition between UF/FSU benefits both schools and makes for better football to watch.

FSU's repeating opponents:

Clemson
Florida
Miami
Louisville
Boston College
NC State
Wake
Syracuse

Any reasonably competent coach can go 5-3 or 6-2 against this bunch most years. Then you just need to schedule 3 winnable OOC games and every year you are looking at 8-4 to 10-2.

I am perfectly fine with any of these records as long as it includes a loss to UF.

Norvell will be a players coach and they will really like playing for him

Watch him at halftime today just before the team goes to the locker room

As always, the issue will be can get top ten recruiting classes? Looking beyond the ratings, he got a lot of kids to come to Memphis when those kids had offers from Miss, Miss State, Tennessee, Colorado and more.

Memphis is right now better than FSU. Fewer 4 and 5 star kids but plenty of 3 stars and very athletic

Still surprised FSU did not go the major assistant route though. Kirby Smart, Dan Mullen stuff.

He had 3 - 4 star recruits in his entire time as Memphis Head Coach.

He had very few four stars, but indeed landed a few

Memphis traditionally did not get many three stars but that changed

If you watched Memphis, this was not some one year fluky over achieving team...they had very athletic players simply lacking the overall depth that many larger programs have

Outside of Clemson and Florida at the moment, FSU does not play better teams than Cincy, Navy, SMU and others. Norvell is a layers coach, they will like him. The decades of thuggish kosher behavior at FSU will end under Norvell. Whether they can win big we shall see. If they go 6-6 next season and the locals bash the hell out of Norvell he will miss Memphis.

Lord, I hope so because he knows how to deliver an introduction to a new program...he hit on all the important points.

Pimp hand way scrong

kzrigoe2z0stzeavsb7v.jpg
--Norvell, towards the end of the interview, was asked about a picture of him from his playing days at Central Arkansas that has made the rounds on the internet...because he was rocking cornrows.

Norvell started laughing before the question was even finishing, knowing what was coming.

“It was really a funny time. I was going into my sophomore year, and I’m working an inner-city youth camp right before we start fall camp, and we broke up into groups that had competition. I had long hair, and the group that I had said ‘coach, if we win, we’re going to braid your hair.’

“So after looking at my group, I thought they had no chance to win, so I made the deal. And I tell you what, it was an unbelievable inspiration because they dominated every competition that they had. I went back to Arkansas with the cornrows in my hair and then here came the decision, we always had Media Day the first day we reported. And I decided it would be a great idea to keep the cornrows and take a picture to try to be funny.

“Little did I know, when I’d be standing on the stage on GameDay 20-something years later, that’s what I’d be talking about, and little did I know that when I got the opportunity to be the head coach at Florida State, that would be the picture that’s associated with my past. So I tell our guys, ‘understand, social media, it’ll come back to get ya.’”

I’m going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on Urban being a risk.
I wanted Urban hired instead of Zook. Nobody listened. He was in his second year at Bowling Green then. That would have been a risk. By the time he came to Florida he was turning around his second mid major team, both on opposite sides of the country. Utah had like 5 winning seasons in their entire history and they were 13-0 in the fiesta bowl when he was announced.
Anybody that doubted that hire was a fool or a rival fan. He was as close to a sure thing that exists.

Reactions: bradleygator
Interesting to watch the difference in three press conferences. Ole Miss had their guy being his usual jerk self talking down the environment at Florida Atlantic. Saying how there was just something missing when he would walk into the stadium on Saturdays.

The Arkansas coach seemed like that really laid back uncle at any family gathering . He seemed genuine and likeable . Little flash, but he said he didn't use mottos.

Then you had the wrestling promo from the FSU guy. Guy was yelling while talking up his plan. He also spoke very kindly about the program he just left.

Interesting to watch the difference in three press conferences. Ole Miss had their guy being his usual jerk self talking down the environment at Florida Atlantic. Saying how there was just something missing when he would walk into the stadium on Saturdays.

The Arkansas coach seemed like that really laid back uncle at any family gathering . He seemed genuine and likeable . Little flash, but he said he didn't use mottos.

Then you had the wrestling promo from the FSU guy. Guy was yelling while talking up his plan. He also spoke very kindly about the program he just left.

And Willie Tagg is going to replace Kiffin at FAU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT