ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Stricklin on the two SEC games we add

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
We are going to have divisions in the SEC. of the 10 conference games; the eight that are already scheduled are going to be a part of who we play,” Florida Gators Athletic Director Scott Stricklin said. “The question is who the other two are going to be. Hopefully, during the next few days, we can have a schedule. The league hasn’t given us a definitive timeline.”

For Florida, that means:

Home: Kentucky, South Carolina, LSU, Missouri, TBD
Away: Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, TBD
Neutral: Georgia

SAD. there is a GOD in HEAVEN

Technically, Georgia is the “home” team this year in Jacksonville, meaning they’ll likely be shafted out of being able to host five SEC games in Athens, as their trip to Jacksonville will count as a home game.

Two Extra SEC Road games for the Dawgs ! Merry Christmas UGA !

DAMN how lucky can they get ? Perhaps they will get to visit such great tourist destinations as Baton Rouge or Kyle Field instead of laying around between the hedges !

The issue is how do you determine who the other two teams are.?

A rumor began circulating and picked up steam that the SEC would just pick the cross-divisional opponent for 2021 and 2022 and put them on the schedule in 2020, creating an even 10 games.

“That was total speculation and spit-balling,” Stricklin shot down the rumor Thursday.

In that scenario, Florida would get Alabama and Texas A&M on its schedule in 2020. But what about 2021? Do Florida and Alabama play again? It wouldn’t make sense to just go with that scenario. Instead, the league has come up with multiple schedules and they will meet virtually this week to have the Athletic Directors vote on a final schedule.

“I don’t think we would ever get a schedule if we sat back and let everybody lobby who they want. They’re going to give us the schedule. I’m sure it’s going to be fair and equitable,” Stricklin said. “If there are any particular concerns, we’ll voice them once they show us the draft. But I’m confident we’ll be able to come up with something everybody feels good about.

If the the Dawgs get two extra SEC road games;

I would feel REAL GOOD about that !

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/looking-at-the-gators-schedule-in-2020/

Last edited:
We are going to have divisions in the SEC. of the 10 conference games; the eight that are already scheduled are going to be a part of who we play,” Florida Gators Athletic Director Scott Stricklin said. “The question is who the other two are going to be. Hopefully, during the next few days, we can have a schedule. The league hasn’t given us a definitive timeline.”

For Florida, that means:

Home: Kentucky, South Carolina, LSU, Missouri, TBD
Away: Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, TBD
Neutral: Georgia

Technically, Georgia is the “home” team this year in Jacksonville, meaning they’ll likely be shafted out of being able to host five SEC games in Athens, as their trip to Jacksonville will count as a home game.

Two Extra SEC Road games for the Dawgs ! Merry Christmas UGA !

DAMN how lucky can they get ? Perhaps they will get to visit such great tourist destinations as Baton Rouge or Kyle Field instead of laying around between the hedges !

The issue is how do you determine who the other two teams are.?

A rumor began circulating and picked up steam that the SEC would just pick the cross-divisional opponent for 2021 and 2022 and put them on the schedule in 2020, creating an even 10 games.

“That was total speculation and spit-balling,” Stricklin shot down the rumor Thursday.

In that scenario, Florida would get Alabama and Texas A&M on its schedule in 2020. But what about 2021? Do Florida and Alabama play again? It wouldn’t make sense to just go with that scenario. Instead, the league has come up with multiple schedules and they will meet virtually this week to have the Athletic Directors vote on a final schedule.

“I don’t think we would ever get a schedule if we sat back and let everybody lobby who they want. They’re going to give us the schedule. I’m sure it’s going to be fair and equitable,” Stricklin said. “If there are any particular concerns, we’ll voice them once they show us the draft. But I’m confident we’ll be able to come up with something everybody feels good about.

If the the Dawgs get two extra SEC road games;

I would feel REAL GOOD about that !

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/looking-at-the-gators-schedule-in-2020/

I would say there is a very good chance Jacksonville refuses to host the game and it reverts back to Athens. They already cancelled the Republican National Convention, so you know they aren't shy about cancelling big events.

I would say there is a very good chance Jacksonville refuses to host the game and it reverts back to Athens. They already cancelled the Republican National Convention, so you know they aren't shy about cancelling big events.
That could end that long relationship of Jacksonville hosting the annual Cocktail party. We could just flip it to H&H.

We both make more money there than we would in a home and home. As long as that's true, it'll never move.

And that's part of what makes it so special, not just to the two teams, but as a national attention getter. Just like the red river rivalry between Texas and the Oklahomas. Look at the Iron bowl? That used to be one of THE games of the year nationwide. Like it or not, now that it's a home and home affair, it's largely been relegated to just an old fashioned rivalry game within the SEC. Keeping those regular season rivalry games at neutral sites is increasingly rare, and that makes them that much more special for national attention. Most BIG?? fans would rather watch our game than watching Michigan State punch the snot out of Purdue in East Lansing that weekend.

And that's part of what makes it so special, not just to the two teams, but as a national attention getter. Just like the red river rivalry between Texas and the Oklahomas. Look at the Iron bowl? That used to be one of THE games of the year nationwide. Like it or not, now that it's a home and home affair, it's largely been relegated to just an old fashioned rivalry game within the SEC. Keeping those regular season rivalry games at neutral sites is increasingly rare, and that makes them that much more special for national attention. Most BIG?? fans would rather watch our game than watching Michigan State punch the snot out of Purdue in East Lansing that weekend.

well the Iron Bowl is still huge with serious implications often times.

and Legion Field, by 1989, was a trash heap.

Which Teams Could Gators, SEC Add in 2020 Based on Strength of Schedule?

Harvey built a spreadsheet to compute SOS for all SEC teams (below). He then adds a bunch of verbiage to justify his prediction & came up with the same two opponents Finebaum & others did - Bama & aTm; the cross-divisional opponents already scheduled for 2021 & 2022; Scott Stricklin's opinion - “That was total speculation and spit-balling.”

To balance our SOS, we could easily play one of either Bama or aTm, but both ?

Harvey on UF's schedule - "...Florida has been thought to have one of the easiest schedules in the SEC during this offseason."

According to his spreadsheet, UF 10th out of 14; with both LSU & aTm having weaker schedules than UF.

His Excel skills need work !

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTc0NDI0MzI5MDk2Nzk5ODc4%2Ffirefox_pst0e1dqr6.png

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTc0NDI2ODA2MjE5MTg3NTYw%2Ffirefox_8r61ze0ykm.png

Demetrius Harvey just posted his article on SI.com/AllGators
https://www.si.com/college/florida/...0-conference-schedule-predictions-sankey-2020

Last edited:
Which Teams Could Gators, SEC Add in 2020 Based on Strength of Schedule?

Harvey built a spreadsheet to compute SOS for all SEC teams (below). He then adds a bunch of verbiage to justify his prediction & came up with the same two opponents Finebaum & others did - Bama & aTm; the cross-divisional opponents already scheduled for 2021 & 2022; Scott Stricklin's opinion - “That was total speculation and spit-balling.”

To balance our SOS, we could easily play one of either Bama or aTm, but both ?

Harvey on UF's schedule - "...Florida has been thought to have one of the easiest schedules in the SEC during this offseason."

According to his spreadsheet, UF 10th out of 14; with both LSU & aTm having weaker schedules than UF.

His Excel skills need work !

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTc0NDI0MzI5MDk2Nzk5ODc4%2Ffirefox_pst0e1dqr6.png

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTc0NDI2ODA2MjE5MTg3NTYw%2Ffirefox_8r61ze0ykm.png

Demetrius Harvey just posted his article on SI.com/AllGators
https://www.si.com/college/florida/...0-conference-schedule-predictions-sankey-2020

If we are only playing conference games this year, then SOS should be based solely on last year's conference records. Apples to apples.

Looks like this:

1 So Car 57.81%
2 Arkansas 56.25%
3 Alabama 53.13%
4 Auburn 51.56%
4 Kentucky 51.56%
4 Miss 51.56%
4 Vandy 51.56%
8 Florida 50%
8 Georgia 50%
10 Miss State 48.44%
11 LSU 45.31%
11 Tenn 45.31%
13 Missouri 43.75%
13 TAMU 43.75%

There is no divisional bias because the divisions went .500 against each other.

I didn't bother taking out the results of each team against their returning opponents (way too much work), and because of that there is a little bit of bias in favor of the bad teams. Not a lot. Still, I think this makes more sense than the entire record, because nobody has OOC teams this year.

Then I ran the numbers again with the two next rotating opponents included:

1 Arkansas 57.5%
2 Kentucky 53.75%
3 Florida 52.5%
3 Miss 52.5%
3 South Car 52.5%
3 Vandy 52.5%
7 Alabama 51.25%
8 Auburn 48.75%
8 Tenn 48.75%
10 Miss State 47.5%
11 LSU 46.25%
11 Missouri 46.25%
11 Texas A&M 46.25%
14 Georgia 43.75%

And yes, Georgia drops all the way to the bottom. Well, they get Arkansas and Miss State, who went a combined 3-13.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff from Jax
If we are only playing conference games this year, then SOS should be based solely on last year's conference records. Apples to apples.

Looks like this:

1 So Car 57.81%
2 Arkansas 56.25%
3 Alabama 53.13%
4 Auburn 51.56%
4 Kentucky 51.56%
4 Miss 51.56%
4 Vandy 51.56%
8 Florida 50%
8 Georgia 50%

There is no divisional bias because the divisions went .500 against each other.

Then I ran the numbers again with the two next rotating opponents included:

1 Arkansas 57.5%
2 Kentucky 53.75%
3 Florida 52.5%
3 Miss 52.5%
3 South Car 52.5%
3 Vandy 52.5%
7 Alabama 51.25%

14 Georgia 43.75%

And yes, Georgia drops all the way to the bottom. Well, they get Arkansas and Miss State, who went a combined 3-13.

LG 89,

Great Work ! Thanks !

Much better than Harvey !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT