ADVERTISEMENT

RIP to a Great Gator

SeaPA

Bull Gator
Dec 17, 2002
Not a former player, but a great guy who was an avid UF fan, long-time Bull Gator, and past president of Gator Boosters. Hjalma Johnson, who some of you may know, passed away last week. He was the boosters President in what was your finest time in athletics, when you won the back to back hoops titles along with the football natty. His son was the GB pres 10 or so years later; I believe they're the only father-son combo to hold that position.
I've known him since I was a kid; we always got along well despite our different school allegiances & always had fun razzing each other. Back in the early 90s, I was serving in a local elected position & got roped into being a "celebrity waiter" at some charity function. At those functions, people offer up donations for making other people do things. Hjalma offered up $50 to have me sing "We are the boys..." I countered with $100 to not soil myself in that fashion. He up the bid to have me do it. Knowing his pockets were deeper than mine, I cut it off by adding another $50 to his bid but he had to come up & sing with me as a duet.
He was a good man, and one of the smartest guys I've ever had the pleasure to know.

Not a former player, but a great guy who was an avid UF fan, long-time Bull Gator, and past president of Gator Boosters. Hjalma Johnson, who some of you may know, passed away last week. He was the boosters President in what was your finest time in athletics, when you won the back to back hoops titles along with the football natty. His son was the GB pres 10 or so years later; I believe they're the only father-son combo to hold that position.
I've known him since I was a kid; we always got along well despite our different school allegiances & always had fun razzing each other. Back in the early 90s, I was serving in a local elected position & got roped into being a "celebrity waiter" at some charity function. At those functions, people offer up donations for making other people do things. Hjalma offered up $50 to have me sing "We are the boys..." I countered with $100 to not soil myself in that fashion. He up the bid to have me do it. Knowing his pockets were deeper than mine, I cut it off by adding another $50 to his bid but he had to come up & sing with me as a duet.
He was a good man, and one of the smartest guys I've ever had the pleasure to know.

We need more people like him.

Reactions: goldmom and SeaPA
A Floridian who made a difference and who should be an example to all of us. RIP.

Nice post. RIP sir.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT