ADVERTISEMENT

Replace Mullen?

Replace Mullen

• Yes

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Edub is a very nice and a totally cool person, but somewhat offputting when you first meet him

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters
sadgator would pay a million dollars to see Fever’s reaction if Florida fired Mullen and hired Deion…

I would say what in the hell were they thinking and not just because of his school.

Miss State is telling all the Kiffin recruits he is as good as gone. That is where we should be focused imo if they do end this.

Miss State is telling all the Kiffin recruits he is as good as gone. That is where we should be focused imo if they do end this.
What? LOL Bama's rivals tell our targets every year that they shouldn't go to Bama, that Saban will leave before their 4 years are up. Of course Miss State is telling Kiffin recruits he's as a good as gone. Or that OM is about to go on probation, or whatever they need to say to try to get an edge in recruiting. SOP.

No offense, but you are reading what you want to into all this stuff you are posting here. It's mostly just standard recruiting stuff.

What? LOL Bama's rivals tell our targets every year that they shouldn't go to Bama, that Saban will leave before their 4 years are up. Of course Miss State is telling Kiffin recruits he's as a good as gone. Or that OM is about to go on probation, or whatever they need to say to try to get an edge in recruiting. SOP.

No offense, but you are reading what you want to into all this stuff you are posting here. It's mostly just standard recruiting stuff.

They are believing it more than the typical stuff you always hear and a recruit would just laugh about Saban leaving for a few more years. Kiffin will have to have major portal help to stay competitive at the top of the West if he hasn't already planned his departure.

They are believing it more than the typical stuff you always hear and a recruit would just laugh about Saban leaving for a few more years. Kiffin will have to have major portal help to stay competitive at the top of the West if he hasn't already planned his departure.
How do you know what they are believing? You are best friends with recruits who are considering Miss State and Ole MIss now? LOL

Look, you want rid of Mullen. We all get it.

Let's say for instance that UF fires Mullen and hires Kiffin.

That will mean THIS is the list of your coaching hires since Spurrier:

1 - Ron Zook - fired after 3 seasons
2 - Urban Meyer - won 2 NCs, quit after 2010 season
3 - Muschamp - fired after 4 seasons
4 - Jim McElwain - fired after 3 seasons
5 - Dan Mullen - fired after 4 seasons

That would mean the only successful hire in the last 20 years was Meyer, and that ended badly.

The coaches you hire say a LOT about the quality of your job.

Is Lane Kiffin worthy of the Florida job? You seem to think he is. You're a Florida fan so you probably know better.

To me, firing Mullen and hiring Kiffin smells like desperation.

If I were Florida AD and had to fire Mullen, I would immediately say we want Saban, and we're offering $20M a year.

Are you going to get Saban? Probably not. But what you ARE going to get is publicity. You are going to get on EVERY coach's radar, because $20M communicates that Florida is an elite job, targeting elite coaches and paying an elite salary.

When the smoke clears, you will probably end up hiring a coach that's far better than Kiffin.

Reactions: sadgator
How do you know what they are believing? You are best friends with recruits who are considering Miss State and Ole MIss now? LOL

Look, you want rid of Mullen. We all get it.

Let's say for instance that UF fires Mullen and hires Kiffin.

That will mean THIS is the list of your coaching hires since Spurrier:

1 - Ron Zook - fired after 3 seasons
2 - Urban Meyer - won 2 NCs, quit after 2010 season
3 - Muschamp - fired after 4 seasons
4 - Jim McElwain - fired after 3 seasons
5 - Dan Mullen - fired after 4 seasons

That would mean the only successful hire in the last 20 years was Meyer, and that ended badly.

The coaches you hire say a LOT about the quality of your job.

Is Lane Kiffin worthy of the Florida job? You seem to think he is. You're a Florida fan so you probably know better.

To me, firing Mullen and hiring Kiffin smells like desperation.

If I were Florida AD and had to fire Mullen, I would immediately say we want Saban, and we're offering $20M a year.

Are you going to get Saban? Probably not. But what you ARE going to get is publicity. You are going to get on EVERY coach's radar, because $20M communicates that Florida is an elite job, targeting elite coaches and paying an elite salary.

When the smoke clears, you will probably end up hiring a coach that's far better than Kiffin.

It would say we made one good hire and got 2 SEC and National championships out of it.

The reality is Saban, Swinney or even Riley (even if he might consider LSU) are not coming here and arguments could be made against all of the rest of the possibilities. Chances are it wouldn't end up being Kiffin but I think he has the highest upside potential of most of them out there. If this was right when he went to FAU I would have said no way but at his age now its worth a try.

Reactions: gatordad3
It would say we made one good hire and got 2 SEC and National championships out of it.

The reality is Saban, Swinney or even Riley (even if he might consider LSU) are not coming here and arguments could be made against all of the rest of the possibilities. Chances are it wouldn't end up being Kiffin but I think he has the highest upside potential of most of them out there. If this was right when he went to FAU I would have said no way but at his age now its worth a try.
Why would you fire Mullen (or any coach) if you didn't have a solid replacement lined up?

You say Kiffin is 'worth a try'. Is that really the criteria you want for hiring a Florida football coach?

"Well, he's worth a try..."

Like I said, target Saban, offer him $20M a year. He will likely say no, then Sexton will use that to get Bama to bump his salary up $5M a year. Saban would still be a bargain.

But what will happen for Florida is, you will suddenly have elite coaches from the college AND pro levels contacting Stricklin wanting to talk about the job.

If you fire Mullen and rumors are the top candidates to replace him are Kiffin and Freeze, no elite coach will have ANY interest in that job. You MIGHT get calls from guys like Gus Malzahn, Les Miles and Houston Nutt. But elite coaches? They wouldn't touch the job with a ten foot pole. Hell you just admitted that no elite coach would consider the Florida job. If you are targeting guys like Kiffin and Freeze, of course they won't.

Why would you fire Mullen (or any coach) if you didn't have a solid replacement lined up?

You say Kiffin is 'worth a try'. Is that really the criteria you want for hiring a Florida football coach?

Like I said, target Saban, offer him $20M a year. He will likely say no, then Sexton will use that to get Bama to bump his salary up $5M a year. Saban would still be a bargain.

But what will happen for Florida is, you will suddenly have elite coaches from the college AND pro levels contacting Stricklin wanting to talk about the job.

If you fire Mullen and rumors are the top candidates to replace him are Kiffin and Freeze, no elite coach will have ANY interest in that job. You MIGHT get calls from guys like Gus Malzahn, Les Miles and Houston Nutt. But elite coaches? They wouldn't touch the job with a ten foot pole. Hell you just admitted that no elite coach would consider the Florida job. If you are targeting guys like Kiffin and Freeze, of course they won't.
I believe if Mullen could get Slingblade (The Ogre) to come here as DC, the ship could be righted. Our offense isn't broken, the lockerroom and recruiting are. I think Kiffen is a bad idea. His concern for defense is on the same level as Muschamp's was for offense. Kids want to play for teams that are exciting and score points. And it's become expected from fans since Spurrier set the standard. But at the end of the day, defense wins championships.

I believe if Mullen could get Slingblade (The Ogre) to come here as DC, the ship could be righted. Our offense isn't broken, the lockerroom and recruiting are. I think Kiffen is a bad idea. His concern for defense is on the same level as Muschamp's was for offense. Kids want to play for teams that are exciting and score points. And it's become expected from fans since Spurrier set the standard. But at the end of the day, defense wins championships.
That could work, but LSU would have to fire Ogre fast. You would likely have to make Ogre the DC, recruiting coordinator and Asst HC. But if LSU cans him fast, it could work.

Keep in mind when Bama fired Shula in 2006, it was NOT an elite job. We weren't even ranked at the end of the season.

Bama still swung for the fences and got Saban, and paid a massive amount for him. If you guys fire Mullen, there's zero why you can't do the same thing and get a stud coach to replace him.

That could work, but LSU would have to fire Ogre fast. You would likely have to make Ogre the DC, recruiting coordinator and Asst HC. But if LSU cans him fast, it could work.

Keep in mind when Bama fired Shula in 2006, it was NOT an elite job. We weren't even ranked at the end of the season.

Bama still swung for the fences and got Saban, and paid a massive amount for him. If you guys fire Mullen, there's zero why you can't do the same thing and get a stud coach to replace him.
The Ogre is already fired, he's just finishing out the string until the end of the season. There already is a lost defensive class since 3rd and Grantham got canned. I could be wrong, but at this point that's not likely to change because of early signing, no matter what.

The Ogre is already fired, he's just finishing out the string until the end of the season. There already is a lost defensive class since 3rd and Grantham got canned. I could be wrong, but at this point that's not likely to change because of early signing, no matter what.
LMAO proves how much I am keeping up with this season. That also explains why LSU hiring Lincoln Riley rumor are out there.

If you fire a coach before November, it's typically because you already had a plan in place to do so and pretty much know who you are replacing him with.

I'd definitely go hard after mumble mouth. He's a stud defensive coach and recruiter.

You’d think he already knew that. I mean he’s spent numerous posts telling you all what you shou,d do, and didn’t know about Cookie Monster? Wow. Sadgator needs to read this and rethink his statements.

• Haha
Reactions: TennesseeGator
Sadgator needs to read this and rethink his statements.
Ghost ain’t real good with facts, we all know this…but he is normally pretty good on the sports board…for some reason sadgator trusts and respects his opinion of Mullen…

sadgator recognized Mullen as a good coach with a plan pretty early on in his tenure at Miss St. He was the guy sadgator felt was best suited to lead Florida. This season has sucked…no doubt…sadgator can’t deny it…but sadgator still feels the same way about Mullen. He is a damn good coach…and sadgator thinks we are lucky to have him…it would be a real mistake for the program If he was let go at this point…which sadgator thinks is unlikely…

That being said…if we lose bad tomorrow (which is possible) and/or suck again next year…everybody is going to be going apeshit…and all bets are off…

Ghost ain’t real good with facts, we all know this…but he is normally pretty good on the sports board…for some reason sadgator trusts and respects his opinion of Mullen…

sadgator recognized Mullen as a good coach with a plan pretty early on in his tenure at Miss St. He was the guy sadgator felt was best suited to lead Florida. This season has sucked…no doubt…sadgator can’t deny it…but sadgator still feels the same way about Mullen. He is a damn good coach…and sadgator thinks we are lucky to have him…it would be a real mistake for the program If he was let go at this point…which sadgator thinks is unlikely…

That being said…if we lose bad tomorrow (which is possible) and/or suck again next year…everybody is going to be going apeshit…and all bets are off…
This the guy you replying to? https://www.hairofthedawg.net/forum/read.php?2,1068651,1068664

I thought the rumor this week was that Kiffin had "made it known" that he would be interested in the Miami job.

which, would probably be perfect for him.

I'm not ready to write Mullen off either...........yet. But he's made damn poor choices in staff to this point, and no decent recruiters on staff either. SOS wasn't the most ardent recruiter either, but was one hell of an offensive genius. Mullen has got to start being more than an OC, and being a CEO. Otherwise, he's just weaving his own hangman's noose. I don't know anyone else I'd rather have running the offense. But the job is bigger than that.

I'm not ready to write Mullen off either...........yet. But he's made damn poor choices in staff to this point, and no decent recruiters on staff either. SOS wasn't the most ardent recruiter either, but was one hell of an offensive genius. Mullen has got to start being more than an OC, and being a CEO. Otherwise, he's just weaving his own hangman's noose. I don't know anyone else I'd rather have running the offense. But the job is bigger than that.
Just imagine Jeremy Foley taking a chance on Mullen in 2014 when Muschamp got fired. Mullen would have inherited not only a defense with a crap load of talent, but Will Grier, Kelvin Taylor and some receivers that just needed to be coached up. Mullen also wouldn't have to talk about his side hat wearing DC making a lateral move as Geoff Collins definitely would have followed him to Gainesville anyway. The offense wouldn't have struggled against the likes of Vandy, FAU and South Carolina. No way UF would have lost to LSU and FSU in 2015. As far as beating Bama in the SECCG?
whistle.gif

On the flip side, we may have never seen Kyle Trask on the UF campus.

Reactions: NavigatorII

We would be ridiculed if we offered Saban 20 million and of course they would match it if he seriously considered it.

Just imagine Jeremy Foley taking a chance on Mullen in 2014 when Muschamp got fired. Mullen would have inherited not only a defense with a crap load of talent, but Will Grier, Kelvin Taylor and some receivers that just needed to be coached up. Mullen also wouldn't have to talk about his side hat wearing DC making a lateral move as Geoff Collins definitely would have followed him to Gainesville anyway. The offense wouldn't have struggled against the likes of Vandy, FAU and South Carolina. No way UF would have lost to LSU and FSU in 2015. As far as beating Bama in the SECCG?
whistle.gif

I NEVER got why Mullin didn't go hard after Corral when he was already committed here. Like AR-15, he's got Johnny Manziel written all over him (don't know if Corral has his baggage either though). That's something only coaches might know. All I do know is that the Gator defense has been the most under utilized, under coached, least disciplined bunch since I've been watching them. They are a disgrace. That falls on the shoulders of Mullen, as much as it pains me to say it, the blame ultimately falls on his lack of urgency.

We would be ridiculed if we offered Saban 20 million and of course they would match it if he seriously considered it.
LOL Dude are you purposely being obtuse? Of course you're not gonna get Saban. The goal is NOT to get Saban, the goal is to get an elite coach. Offering a massive contract to Saban is communication. You are telling every elite coach at the pro and college level that Florida will pay what it takes to get them.

If you want to be ridiculed, can Mullen and hire Lane Kiffin for less money. Cause I can promise you if that happens, there will be no shortage of media 'experts' lining up to ask what the hell Florida is thinking.

LOL Dude are you purposely being obtuse? Of course you're not gonna get Saban. The goal is NOT to get Saban, the goal is to get an elite coach. Offering a massive contract to Saban is communication. You are telling every elite coach at the pro and college level that Florida will pay what it takes to get them.

If you want to be ridiculed, can Mullen and hire Lane Kiffin for less money. Cause I can promise you if that happens, there will be no shortage of media 'experts' lining up to ask what the hell Florida is thinking.
I told you before the ones that have proven worth the money aren't coming here and yes the media would have a field day with us doing something crazy like that.

Just come out and make a case for Mullen again instead of saying crazy scenarios. Imo leaving him in place assures we stay second fiddle to Georgia. Make your case how Dan will suddenly beat out Georgia who will have gone 11-1+ pre-SECCG four out of five seasons. How we won't be 1-3 against them the next 4 seasons with the recruiting even getting worse.

The Georgia fans would love us to keep Mullen.

Last edited:
Don’t down play Trask because he had to put up video game numbers just to cover the defense.
It’s not a flame. Trask was great. But you didn’t win anything with him. It’s what gets said to Georgia fans all the time about the talent that has come thru, so I figured it would apply in this case too. You lost 4 games with him as your QB.

It’s not a flame. Trask was great. But you didn’t win anything with him. It’s what gets said to Georgia fans all the time about the talent that has come thru, so I figured it would apply in this case too. You lost 4 games with him as your QB.
Kyle Trask was a 2 star player with just one or two offers(one from Dallas Baptist) prior to Florida offering. Just sayin'..........

Kyle Trask was a 2 star player with just one or two offers(one from Dallas Baptist) prior to Florida offering. Just sayin'..........
So a bunch of folks missed on his evaluation. He still didn’t get UF a title. So if he hadn’t come the overall result likely would be the same.

whistle.gif

Who cares about Trask? If you're going to play that scenario, we probably get one of Joe Burrow, Justin Fields or Bizarrely enough, Matt Corral.

And Grier probably wins a Heisman. Meanwhile Trask is playing at Rice or something and Felipe Frank's would have been at LSU.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
I told you before the ones that have proven worth the money aren't coming here and yes the media would have a field day with us doing something crazy like that.
Of course the media would have a field day with Florida if they offered an elite coach an insane contract. They did the same thing to Bama when we offered Saban.

We had the last laugh. I bet you would too.

At this point, you're right.

Do you think those same fans would be worried if you fired Mullen and replaced him with a Kiffin or Freeze?
With Freeze, I'd have no worries. He's the only coach in the SEC I can remember beating Saban twice in a row. Kiffin needs to stick around Ole Miss long enough to build his own team(his own players he recruited) and prove me wrong.

With Freeze, I'd have no worries. He's the only coach in the SEC I can remember beating Saban twice in a row. Kiffin needs to stick around Ole Miss long enough to build his own team(his own players he recruited) and prove me wrong.
I think the Georgia fans aren't going to be very worried if you fired Mullen and hired Freeze.

And remember who our DC was in 2014 and 2015? Kirby. Kirby wanted LBs that were hybrid pass rushers to put pressure on pocket passers. That's a big reason why mobile QBs were always the kryptonite for his defenses.

At the end of Kirby's tenure and into Pruitt's, we started recruiting DEs that could also play OLB, we went after more athletic DEs who could contain a mobile QB versus rushing a pocket passer.

Mobile QBs still give us problems, but good ones give every defense problems.

I agree on Kiffin.

I think the Georgia fans aren't going to be very worried if you fired Mullen and hired Freeze.

And remember who our DC was in 2014 and 2015? Kirby. Kirby wanted LBs that were hybrid pass rushers to put pressure on pocket passers. That's a big reason why mobile QBs were always the kryptonite for his defenses.

At the end of Kirby's tenure and into Pruitt's, we started recruiting DEs that could also play OLB, we went after more athletic DEs who could contain a mobile QB versus rushing a pocket passer.

Mobile QBs still give us problems, but good ones give every defense problems.

I agree on Kiffin.
Ever since Bowl Cut left Bama, we've only seen temporary improvement from the Bama defense when Pruitt was the DC. Other than that, Bama has been giving up yards and plenty of points since the Bowl Cut left, not that I'm giving Bowl Cut any credit because I always believed the defense at Bama has always been Saban's defense.
I'm wondering if Saban made the mistake by allowing his DC's full control at Bama.

At this point, you're right.

Do you think those same fans would be worried if you fired Mullen and replaced him with a Kiffin or Freeze?

Just seeing internet postings some are worried what Kiffin could do with the players he could get here. Not really sure who they would be against us getting the most out of the actual possible candidates. Maybe those couple of Georgia fans that post here could enlighten us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT