ADVERTISEMENT

Outlook for Next Year

UF_GATOR_FAN

Green Machine
Apr 2, 2009
We should be in the hunt for a playoff spot next year, with our main rivals losing a lot of their QB talent (Georgia, Bama, LSU), and our own team retaining a lot of key players.

Offensively:
Bringing back maybe all 3 QBs, but I imagine at least 2 of them. RB position should be solid with Pierce and Davis handling the bulk of the duties. WR group takes a big hit in terms of depth, but in terms of quality, will return Toney/Grimes/Copeland/Pitts (and probably some others I'm forgetting). The key will be the line, and with only Buchanan to replace, and another year of experience for everyone else, we can hope that it will go from a weakness to, maybe not a strength, but....at least not as big a weakness.

Defensively:
Losing a lot. Greenard and Zuniga will hurt, but is anyone else a real difference maker?? At linebacker, Reese is a hitter in the run game, but for some reason, he keeps getting put out there in passing situations, for which he is very ill suited. I find the main backers to be relatively nonathletic as is (Miller and Reese in particular--hopefully Hopper gets more time next year, and the addition of Wingo should be good). The secondary is a disaster right now, with Henderson, Wilson, and Dean being absolutely atrocious against decent competition (but all world in terms of trash talking when down 2 scores). Elam looks like he could be good, and who knows what we have in the others (Hill and Kimbrough). So while we do lose players, they are, for the most part, replaceable.

Reasons for Optimism:
In year 3 of the Mullen program, and with the reasons listed above, being in title contention should be expected.

Reasons for Pessimism:
Mullen ain't Meyer, that's for sure. That's very apparent in a few places (way he treats rivalry games, special teams, etc), but no where more so than in the recruiting results. We are typically not in contention for top players. We need much more at DT, OL, LB, S, and CB. If that doesn't change in the near future, can't expect to consistently be in the upper echelon of teams, which is the minimum of what you should expect for UF.

We should be in the hunt for a playoff spot next year, with our main rivals losing a lot of their QB talent (Georgia, Bama, LSU), and our own team retaining a lot of key players.

Offensively:
Bringing back maybe all 3 QBs, but I imagine at least 2 of them. RB position should be solid with Pierce and Davis handling the bulk of the duties. WR group takes a big hit in terms of depth, but in terms of quality, will return Toney/Grimes/Copeland/Pitts (and probably some others I'm forgetting). The key will be the line, and with only Buchanan to replace, and another year of experience for everyone else, we can hope that it will go from a weakness to, maybe not a strength, but....at least not as big a weakness.

Defensively:
Losing a lot. Greenard and Zuniga will hurt, but is anyone else a real difference maker?? At linebacker, Reese is a hitter in the run game, but for some reason, he keeps getting put out there in passing situations, for which he is very ill suited. I find the main backers to be relatively nonathletic as is (Miller and Reese in particular--hopefully Hopper gets more time next year, and the addition of Wingo should be good). The secondary is a disaster right now, with Henderson, Wilson, and Dean being absolutely atrocious against decent competition (but all world in terms of trash talking when down 2 scores). Elam looks like he could be good, and who knows what we have in the others (Hill and Kimbrough). So while we do lose players, they are, for the most part, replaceable.

Reasons for Optimism:
In year 3 of the Mullen program, and with the reasons listed above, being in title contention should be expected.

Reasons for Pessimism:
Mullen ain't Meyer, that's for sure. That's very apparent in a few places (way he treats rivalry games, special teams, etc), but no where more so than in the recruiting results. We are typically not in contention for top players. We need much more at DT, OL, LB, S, and CB. If that doesn't change in the near future, can't expect to consistently be in the upper echelon of teams, which is the minimum of what you should expect for UF.

you do realize no one not named Saban is Meyer, right?

Reactions: TennesseeGator
you do realize no one not named Saban is Meyer, right?
Dabo might disagree with you
But he's not recruiting at a Meyer-like-level was more my point, and you could argue that's a hard bar to reach, which would be fair
But I don't think he's even recruiting close to a Ryan Day/Ed Orgeron like level, and when you're heading into year 3 at UF, you should be doing better than what we've seen so far on the recruiting trail in my opinion

Dabo might disagree with you
But he's not recruiting at a Meyer-like-level was more my point, and you could argue that's a hard bar to reach, which would be fair
But I don't think he's even recruiting close to a Ryan Day/Ed Orgeron like level, and when you're heading into year 3 at UF, you should be doing better than what we've seen so far on the recruiting trail in my opinion
Dabo was pretty bad early on at Clemson. In fact he was on the hot seat and close to getting fired.

Ed Orgeron’s first class was ranked 15th and then they lost a bunch of players from that class so it’s even worse in reality. They’ve amped up the last two years because they’ve been winning now and he’s had a chance to build.

Let's just appreciate the fact that we are in the top ten in year two of this rebuilding project. The program was a mess when Mullen arrived. He brought in the 11th rated class, not Urban level. He is a better developement guy though, and like it's been stated here before, this is Florida. You don't have to leave the state to fill out your roster with 4 and 5 star guys.

We went through nearly a decade of dreadful, boring, and just plain uninspiring football. It takes time to build back the trust that Florida is once again the place to be. Upgrading the football facilities helps too, but ultimately winning culture leads to wins on the field, and win on the field leads to winning in living rooms.

I believe next year is the year we have a great chance to own all the wins over our main three rivals(LSU, Georgia, FSU).

8-2 with a real strong possibility of 10-2 with a small remaining possibility to win the East

In year two after a 10-3 first year

Losses in a 4th quarter game at LSU and a 1 score game with Georgia, who, by their somewhat easier to please standards, are the best they have ever been

Will compete for the division again next year

Would like to improve recruiting a little bit but we still get really good players

Very pleased

Would perspective change with road loss at Mizzou or home upset with SOW? Sure, but not by much

No one knows about Fromm staying or leaving yet.
Our defense will return 8 starters and nice depth.
We will probably have 3 OL leave early for the draft but we're very deep in OL talent. We'll be around.

We will probably have 3 OL leave early for the draft but we're very deep in OL talent. We'll be around.

honestly Fromm returning doesn’t scare me. Shit, just thankful every day that Fields is up north at OSU.

i think our chances next year have a lot to do with our returning talent, not just yours

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
We are a year or two off, we were right there this year with broken pieces. Let's see how we finish before we talk about next year

I’m still focusing on this year before worrying about next year. First glance I’m pretty sure we will be good just not sure how good.

Reactions: GatorNation79
I'm probably in the minority but I actually see Fromm returning for his Senior season. I just can't see Carson Beck being ready to take over next year.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
I’m still focusing on this year before worrying about next year. First glance I’m pretty sure we will be good just not sure how good.
My boy Gator Fever will let us know a few weeks before next season starts. Right, Fever?;)

I'm probably in the minority but I actually see Fromm returning for his Senior season. I just can't see Carson Beck being ready to take over next year.
Grantham makes Fromm look like an all-star playing a soft zone coverage. Fromm looks average at best against everybody else.

Offensively:

Defensively:

Reasons for Optimism:

Reasons for Pessimism:

The 2020 team will continue to be lay-oded with receivers, WR-TE-RB. No Prob-blem-mo...

MLB David Reese II 6-1 239 only needs 10 more tkl's to break into the All Time Top 10 for career tkl's at UF.
And he just got another sack vs VU.

The OLB's are the primaries with the TE's or RB's in pass coverage.
MLB Ventrell Miller 6-0 222 rsSo
MLB Houston IV 6-1 233 rsSo

The BUCK and SDE spots have a lot of candidates.
Where they settle out in 2020 is yet to be seen.

Jeremiah Moon 6-6 228 rsJr
Lacedrick Brunson 6-1 229 rsSo
Zach Carter 6-4 263 rsSo
Brendon Cox Jr 6-4 247 So
Andrew Chatfield Jr 6-0 243 rsFr
David Reese 6-0 220 rsFr
Jesiah Pierre 6-2 225 Fr
Ty'Ron Hopper 6-2 215
Mo Diabate 6-2 213 Fr
Khris Bogle 6-6 216 Fr
Lloyd Summerall III 6-5 214 Fr

======

2020 Recruit Commits:
OLB Derek Wingo 6-2 210
WDE Antwaun Powell 6-3 234
DT/SDE Johnnie Brown 6-2 250

==========

Current recruit class for 2020, position breakdown:

3 DT's - 3 OL - 2 LB (one's a 5-star xfer) - 2 S - 2 CB
Plus Ath/WR/S Marc Britt
You were saying??? :cool:

PS
Does anyone here want another disaster like Meyer left UF with when he bailed? o_O
Would anyone here fire Mullen to hire Meyer back? o_O
Does anyone appreciate what happened to Meyer after OC/QB's Mullen left him? :oops:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT